Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'd like a co-GM just to talk strategy with and to also make bids on the later side since I'm usually done by 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The 2am thing isn't as bad as it sounds, because combined with the 4 hours it takes for a bid to win, it means you can go to sleep at like 10:01pm and it's fine as long as you check the bids before the "grace period" ends at 8am.

I'm gonna have my brother co-GM but that'll mostly be offline since he's not on here.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

The 2am thing isn't as bad as it sounds, because combined with the 4 hours it takes for a bid to win, it means you can go to sleep at like 10:01pm and it's fine as long as you check the bids before the "grace period" ends at 8am.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, and if we could switch it to Midnight EST it would be great for those of us who are boring and go to sleep early.

A bid at 8:01 holds you till 8 AM, people could still put in bids overnight to speed things up and help set the market faster, then have a 5 minute grace period at 8 AM for everyone to get bids in and restart the clock again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'll put my voice in asking for the midnight limit too. i think an 8 hour grace limit is better than a 6 hour one

(if it were up to me exclusively i'd make it start later but i would probably be in the minority because i keep Vampire Hours)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hey guys some bad RL stuff got dumped on me and I'm not going to be able to dedicate the time for this or posting at all for quite a while, if someone else could take the Bostone Celtics that'd be great

Sorry DBD if nobody else picks it up ASAP I'll figure something out

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Since it's multi-year, maybe you could arrange with someone to come in later on as a co-GM so you don't miss out.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Midnight grace is fine instead, if people prefer that!

And that sucks, CBM, but I totally understand.

:siren: So yes, still looking for one spot left for anybody that still wants to sign up. (Pending Mountain Dew Code Bread) :siren:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I've already sent out a lot of PMs to people in past games, I don't want to spam the link again in the N/V unless I HAVE to, maybe if anybody is in the Discord SAS server, throw down a link? Just need 1-2 more spots right now, would appreciate it. Would like to start Sunday at the latest.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If anyone wants to make a team alliance for co-gming, i'm on west coast time but I prefer to hide from computers and devices for random periods of the day

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just nthing that extending grace period would be a cool and good thing but I'm sure I can make it work and I won't cry too hard about missing Dwayne Bacon at 1am or anything.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
I'm based in Australia so anybody looking to go GM the Spurs would be nice so we can cover time zones properly.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
May have a replacement for CBM, should know by tonight. Also still waiting on MDCB if he wants that Suns spot.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah I'm in.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
This may be the first time really looking at it because I'm now their GM, but the Hornets really have a pretty sick logo.

I don't have PM's, do you need my email DBD?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The B_36 posted:

This may be the first time really looking at it because I'm now their GM, but the Hornets really have a pretty sick logo.

I don't have PM's, do you need my email DBD?

I think that's where I got a hold of you in the first place, so you should be good!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Aaight, I'll assume the reigns of the Celtics. I hope all is well CBM and if things clear up and you want the team back or to co-GM the door is always open.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
OKAY, we're officially full! Awesome.

:siren:

I'm tinkering with the Google spreadsheet that you guys are going to be using to check for the official bids/updated info, will post it once the bids are live. All bids are to be made in thread. The bidding rules will be in that Google spreadsheet, but I will post the rules that pertain to bidding in the thread as well once it's officially underway. I've also made every team's customized team pages, please do not tinker with the format of it in any way, as I'm going to be using it to keep track of players and money. Any aesthetic stuff you can add, just try not to mess with too much. I'll let everybody have edit powers, but don't abuse it. Early mornings/afternoons I may not be around (since I work/sleep pretty late into the night), so once you see the format of how keeping track of player bids/leading bids work, it should be easy for anybody to edit in the information. If by any chance I'm not here when a player is won and there is an obvious 4 hour window where nobody has bid, please do not continue bidding on the player, and I will add new player(s).

Final question: Should we start the bidding on Saturday (tomorrow) or on Monday? I'm trying to avoid starting on Sunday just because people will be having Super Bowl festivities and might not be around for important times.

:siren:

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 2, 2019

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

gently caress all of you, future losers

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'd vote starting tomorrow but I'm flexible.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'd probably prefer starting tomorrow (since i have the weekend off) but i'm also fine starting Monday if people are gonna be busy Sunday

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

a few questions:

1). so straight up "most money per year" is the only thing that matters in the bidding, right? A 3 year/$100 contract is worth more than a 4 year/$90 contract?

2). sort of related to the last point, but if someone bids, say, 2 years/$150, instead of bidding a higher total, can you just bid a higher number of years, like 3 years $150 instead of having to increase the money per year?

3). If someone doesn't have a single bid on them they become a free agent, I assume. can you then give them a contract whenever? Like later on you can look through the people who didn't get any bids and say "I want this guy" at any time, or do we have to wait for a certain point?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DC Murderverse posted:

a few questions:

1). so straight up "most money per year" is the only thing that matters in the bidding, right? A 3 year/$100 contract is worth more than a 4 year/$90 contract?

2). sort of related to the last point, but if someone bids, say, 2 years/$150, instead of bidding a higher total, can you just bid a higher number of years, like 3 years $150 instead of having to increase the money per year?

3). If someone doesn't have a single bid on them they become a free agent, I assume. can you then give them a contract whenever? Like later on you can look through the people who didn't get any bids and say "I want this guy" at any time, or do we have to wait for a certain point?

1. That's what I was going to ask you guys.

Yes, originally had it just so that any money PERIOD would trump contract length (so, $101/1 yr would trump $100/5 yr), less realistic, because ideally it would require more than that if it was a one year deal, but it's easier for me + keeping track + my dumb rear end doing math. But obviously not as "realistic" since somebody would take $100/5 over $101/1 IRL. I'm not too worried about that (realism aspect), just want there to be one solid sort of direction with the contracts and not make it super complicated. Obviously years will play a bigger role in general doing it this way, but I think regardless, young/desirable players will get more years regardless of how bidding is done.

2. Yes, that's how it would work, if we go with this sort of bidding.

3. Yes, if there are no bids at all after 48 hours on a player, they will be replaced and be a free agent/a free agent list will be posted where the unbidded players will be. If you offer them a contract, it'll be the same process, four hours and they're yours.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 2, 2019

china klay
Jul 4, 2018
Monday works better for me but I can do either.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Deadbeat Dad posted:

1. That's what I was going to ask you guys.

Yes, originally had it just so that any money PERIOD would trump contract length (so, $101/1 yr would trump $100/5 yr), less realistic, because ideally it would require more than that if it was a one year deal, but it's easier for me + keeping track + my dumb rear end doing math. But obviously not as "realistic" since somebody would take $100/5 over $101/1 IRL. I'm not too worried about that (realism aspect), just want there to be one solid sort of direction with the contracts and not make it super complicated. Obviously years will play a bigger role in general doing it this way, but I think regardless, young/desirable players will get more years regardless of how bidding is done.

is it possible to have a rule where after a certain amount, there's no opportunity to make 1/2 year deals? Like if you go over $100 they have to be multi year contracts and if it goes over $250 it has to be at least 3 years?

because it doesn't make any sense to me that a $255/2 year contract would be worth more than a $250/3 year one, but I also don't think that a $126/2 year contract would be worth more than a $250/1 year contract

i'm sure there's some sort of equation that would actually weigh these things but that seems complicated...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DC Murderverse posted:

is it possible to have a rule where after a certain amount, there's no opportunity to make 1/2 year deals? Like if you go over $100 they have to be multi year contracts and if it goes over $250 it has to be at least 3 years?

because it doesn't make any sense to me that a $255/2 year contract would be worth more than a $250/3 year one, but I also don't think that a $126/2 year contract would be worth more than a $250/1 year contract

i'm sure there's some sort of equation that would actually weigh these things but that seems complicated...

I think total contract value should count. That way long, cheap contracts become valuable trade chips.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

I think total contract value should count. That way long, cheap contracts become valuable trade chips.

Then you get weird things like 30 x 2 is less valuable than 16 x 4. I say do just Per year with years being the tie breaker. The fact that UFAs don't get any preference to sign with their own team gives you the motivation to add more years.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Lockback posted:

Then you get weird things like 30 x 2 is less valuable than 16 x 4. I say do just Per year with years being the tie breaker. The fact that UFAs don't get any preference to sign with their own team gives you the motivation to add more years.

Yeah, I get complete sense why it makes more sense to do it those ways, just don't want to complicate poo poo up too much here

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It kinda depends on which outlandish scenario you think we should favor:

Option A: $50/5 years ($250 total) worth less than $51/1 year ($51 total)

Option B: $50/5 years ($250 total) worth more than $225/1 year ($225 total, but with 4 more years earning potential)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 2, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean with the current rule it should be okay since you have to give some guys their full length contracts to mirror the NBA, specifically the superstars. Maybe it's not so bad.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the hard part of assessing what's the most authentic/realistic system is that it really depends on the age of player. An old player would likely take more total cash and less per year while a younger player is probably more focused on per year.

Since that's not really feasible I think it's best to just stick to the original rule and say $ per year trumps everything unless a tie.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Would anybody be adverse to me instead of only using the top 30 players real contracts, just using it for everybody? That way the years thing doesn't become messy and it's all just $ based?

And instead of one RFA tag, you could have two of them?

I think either that or just the original way. Again, realize how "unrealistic" the original way is, but it's just a sim, so just wanting it to be the most efficient/least prone to (my) error way.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah that works

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

yea whatever works best for you is the best option i think

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's probably for the best and will prevent arguments when a fringe star gets multiple cheap years or gets stolen with a single year big deal.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Question on game sims. Are player injuries going to reflect real life or will they be randomly generated in the sim? I think I remember reading that we will do periodic roster updates so player progression will track real life.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Theres another way to handle the years issue. Make it so both the AAV and the number of years are progressive. So if you want to beat someones bid, you have to beat either the AAV or the years but neither can be less.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Doltos posted:

That's probably for the best and will prevent arguments when a fringe star gets multiple cheap years or gets stolen with a single year big deal.

Alright, cool.

And for any late bidding stuff where people ONLY can offer $1 contracts or something and nobody can "win" with a higher bid on a player, it'll just be the guy who put $1 on them first.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Question on game sims. Are player injuries going to reflect real life or will they be randomly generated in the sim? I think I remember reading that we will do periodic roster updates so player progression will track real life.

No, if a player gets injured in the sim, that's one thing, but people like Isiah/Oladipo/etc aren't going to be injured in the game if they're injured IRL. I'm also putting injuries slightly less than 100% (maybe 80% or 90%, 100% being normal), just so there aren't a bunch of BS injuries that ruin the season, but enough chance so that things still can happen. The only "IRL" updates that will happen is right before I sim the season and at the all-star break, I'll look over all of the rosters and adjust any sort of ratings that are out of whack. Like, Joe Harris should be a solid contributor and not have scrub ratings, Gordon Hayward isn't going to have 9/10 offense ratings, stuff like that. But every update/injury/etc will be shown in thread/in the spreadsheet, as well as player ratings next to the player so you guys know what sort of ratings they have in the game and what you're bidding on. Actually, I'll adjust that before any of this because I'm not going to "lower" anybody's stats after the game starts, whatever happens happens. Just tweaking players beforehand, and then posting their ratings so everything is out there.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Theres another way to handle the years issue. Make it so both the AAV and the number of years are progressive. So if you want to beat someones bid, you have to beat either the AAV or the years but neither can be less.

Think I'm gonna just kibosh the years thing and just make it default to contracts at the start of this year, but this makes sense too.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 2, 2019

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Remember how I had the best team last year? It's going to be even better this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Gordon Hayward isn't going to have 9/10 offense ratings

The Boston Celtics do not approve of this.