Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

BYOGM v.5 Spreadsheet

Come chill in our BYOGM Discord!

2019-2020 Season

(If you’d like to go back and look at the 2018 BYOGM: v.4 thread, it can be found right here, with 2017 here, as well as BYOGM: v.2 and BYOGM: v.1.)

Welcome back, you beautiful motherfuckers! This is Be Your Own GM, Basketball v.5! This 5th edition aims to be the biggest and best of them all. The last ones were done in 2018, 2017, 2015 and 2012, and has been an eventful and exciting forum game for quite a while now. If you’re unfamiliar with these games, it's a forum game where you’re basically drafting your own NBA teams and running it from the ground up. This year will be completely different, however, where you are drafting a multi-year keeper team, that will be simmed in line with the season (besides this season, since I have to catch up!), and will be ran and simmed by me using Draft Day Sports Basketball 2019 with updated rosters while being able to update player ratings accordingly. You will be able to have more control than ever with your team. Minutes, lineups, coaching strategy, trades (including draft picks), a draft (while being able to draft each year's upcoming rookies), and an actual winner at the end of the year that isn't subjective and ran entirely through the sim, where you will be able to tinker with your team as much or as little as you like. Go the young route, go win-now, do a mix of both, it's completely up to you! And as always, there will be a handy, updated Google Spreadsheet page with all team information that will be pertinent to each team.

Best of all, each year's champion will receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card at the end of the season, so there is incentive to build good teams! A team can have up to two GMs, so if more than 30 people sign up, teams are most definitely able to have a Co-GM with them.

It might sound like a lot of work, but it's not time consuming at all, besides the initial draft. Tons of work for me though. . You just have to keep an eye on your team and make any changes you see fit, if you want. There will be very specific rules about certain things that you will have to read and follow, so make sure you read those before this whole thing starts, but otherwise, I think it'll be our most fun BYOGM yet, and this can last a while too!

If you do sign up, please sign up with your team ownership of choice that isn't already taken, and if you don't have PMs, please let me know your email so there is a way for us to get in contact when bidding starts. I may also set up a Discord for people once this gets going if we think that's a good idea.

SALARY CAP - There is a $1010 hard salary cap for this current season. Every subsequent year, the cap will increase by $10. So, next season will be $1,020. For reference, signing a player for $500 for 5 or $500 for 1 is paying him the same amount each year, aka half of your cap space each year.

ROSTER SIZE - Each team only needs 13 players signed to their active roster.

TRADES - No trade will be legal if it puts you: A) over the salary cap or B) without enough money to fill out your roster.

TRADING DRAFT PICKS - Teams can trade future draft picks (2020, 2021, 2022), but just like the NBA, you can't trade any picks more than three years out. Each team begins with one first and one second round draft pick each year.

RELEASING A PLAYER/WAIVERS - All released players will count against your salary cap for the length of their contracts unless claimed on waivers. Waivers will last for 2 days (48 hours), and the player can be picked up for their contract offered by their original team, and the original team will have their salary wiped of that player. However, if that player clears waivers and enters free agency, a team can offer that player an entirely new contract (with the same 4 hour no bid acquisition rules), and the salary of that player's original contract will still count against the original team for the remainder of his initial contract. (The waiver wire will work in inverse order of the standings at the time the player is released if more than one team puts in a claim.)

EXEMPT LIST/PLAYERS THAT RETIRE - Players who have not been signed to an NBA/G-League contract (whether it be free agent or draft pick), who have retired from the NBA, or who are a "college holdout" are eligible for the exempt list. Each team has room for three players on the exempt list. A player on the exempt list does not count against a teams salary cap for as long as they are on the exempt list. Players must remain on the exempt list until they sign with an NBA team (free agent), are released by their BYOGM team, or until their BYOGM contract expires. If a player on the exempt list returns to the NBA, then their BYOGM team must immediately activate them or release them. Releasing a player off the exempt list will count against the salary cap. Any player signed to take the place of a player on the exempt list can only be signed to a 1 year contract up to amount of money that the exempted player was making.

THE DRAFT - A lottery will be held to determine draft order for the 14 teams (via Tankathon) which fail to qualify for the NBA playoffs. This will also mirror the actual NBA lottery. We will hold our two round draft the week (give or take) following the actual NBA draft. No team can ever have more than 15 players on their active roster or go over the salary cap to sign a drafted player. Drafted players will have salary slots which will be listed under this paragraph. All first round draft picks will be automatically signed for three years. Lottery picks have a fourth year option that must be picked up by the end of the players second year. All second round draft picks will be signed for two years with a team option for year three which must be picked up after year one. Teams are responsible for managing their salary cap and roster to ensure that they can fit a rookie onto their team at their draft slot. If a team drafts a player that signs with an NBA team, they will have one year to sign him. If they can not agree to a contract within one year, then that player will become a free agent.

DRAFT SPOT COSTS

pre:
1.	3/67 $201 total
2.	3/60 $180 total
3.	3/54 $162 total
4.	3/48 $144 total
5.	3/44 $132 total
6.	3/40 $120 total
7.	3/36 $108 total
8.	3/33 $99 total
9.	3/30 $90 total
10.	3/29 $87 total
11.	3/27 $81 total
12.	3/26 $78 total
13.	3/25 $75 total
14.	3/23 $69 total
15.	3/22 $66 total	
16.	3/21 $63 total
17.	3/20 $60 total
18.	3/19 $57 total
19.	3/18 $54 total
20.	3/17 $51 total
21.	3/17 $51 total
22.	3/16 $48 total
23.	3/15 $45 total
24.	3/15 $45 total
25.	3/14 $42 total
26.	3/14 $42 total
27.	3/13 $39 total
28.	3/13 $39 total
29.	3/13 $39 total
30.	3/13 $39 total
-----------------------------------

SEE PAGE 84 for 2ND ROUND PRICES
** All rules are subject to change by commissioner in the future if it benefits the sim/league.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Teams/Owners (30/30):

China Klay as the Golden State Warriors
Carlosologist as the Philadelphia 76ers
DC Murderverse as the Memphis Grizzlies
BWV as the Toronto Raptors
Bloach as the Brooklyn Nets
Lockback as the Minnesota Timberwolves
Salvor_Hardin as the Boston Celtics
Doltos as the New York Knicks
ScooterMcTiny as the Indiana Pacers // Co-GM: ItsMillerTime
G-Hawk as the Houston Rockets
IcePhoenix as the Denver Nuggets
DeimosRising as the Orlando Magic
homphgomph as the Milwaukee Bucks
Panzeh as the Sacramento Kings
Dejan Bimble as the Portland Trail Blazers
tanglewood1420 as the Miami Heat
Tadashi as the Atlanta Hawks
Michael Corleone as the Cleveland Cavaliers
Drunk Canuck as the Dallas Mavericks
Paul Zuvella as the Los Angeles Clippers
Metapod as the Oklahoma City Thunder
leftist heap as the Los Angeles Lakers
Fast Luck as the Washington Wizards
alansmithee as the Detroit Pistons
PASS THE MASH as the Utah Jazz
Deadbeat Dad as the New Orleans Pelicans
xbilkis as the Chicago Bulls
sc0tty as the San Antonio Spurs
The B_36 as the Charlotte Hornets
Mountain Dew Code Bread as the Phoenix Suns

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 2, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

PASS THE MASH posted:

I’ll take the Mavericks.

Yeah, it's taken! The teams left you can pick from:

Bulls
Hornets
Pelicans
Suns
Spurs

After he picks, 5 spots left

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

BWV posted:

I know it's still early but quick question: assuming there is not a tie does money per year trump everything?

For example, if I got real drunk and decided to bid $11 per year for 1 year on Jaylen Brown would that give me a winning bid if another bid was someone like CBM bidding $10per year for 5 years?

That should be in the rules, but if not, yes money trumps everything in free agency. A player getting $11 for a 1 yr deal will be the highest bid if it's against $10 for 5 years, but if someone offered $11 for 3 years, that would trump your 1 year bid. Money > Years unless it's a tie, which means more years > less years as far as "highest bid".

tadashi posted:

Also, I assume if a player retires in real life, he's off our team, too? I don't know why that would be different but since this is run in a sim environment, I'm not sure if that changes anything.

That should be in the exempt list stuff. They're essentially put in your exempt list and don't count against your cap, unless they come back to the NBA, and then you have to make a decision!

Michael Corleone posted:

I don't think there are any Bird Rights. The only thing you could use is the RFA tag once, but it says it's a hard cap.

e; this is going to be pretty cool and if you have 2 stars you can trade one for assets in his last season just like the real NBA. Are we ever gonna get player agents like people have talked about being before that will tell you your star will not re-sign with you in 3 years when his contract is up and demands a trade to the Lakers?

Lockback posted:

Hard Cap= No bird rights, no exceptions.

Yep.

No bird rights but you get one RFA tag to use in the game. Like I wrote, the top 30 players are going to be on their actual NBA contracts (from the start of this year), while anybody else is available to be claimed on 1 to 5 year deals -- just so there's not a huge boom of top tier players in one free agency and then literally nothing for other years. So, for example, you can use your RFA tag on, say, Klay Thompson, or someone with a 1 year deal, and that ensures you that you at least have a good shot at resigning him to a long term deal. Everybody else will be UFA at the end of their contracts (whether 1 or 5 years) unless you haven't used your RFA tag, and can apply it to one of them. But you can still bid on any UFA you had so there's also decent chances of getting those guys again.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

How do player ratings work in the simulator?

There's skill ratings on 1-10 (1-100) scales which are: Inside, Outside, FT shooting, scoring , passing, ball handling, off/def rebounding, defensive ability, shot blocking, steals, drawing fouls, discipline, court IQ, and endurance. There's also a potentials rating that are able to raise a player's stats during the season depending on how they play.

Also there are playing style ratings: pass, drive/pass, drive/shot, post up, pull up, catch and shoot ratings, as well as floor range ratings: post, midrange, corner, above the break, dunk frequency. So there's quite a lot to it.

But in general, the ratings page is the 15 skill ratings I listed, and then it has a current/potential rating. A decent, older role player with not much upside might be 2.0/2.5 or 2.0/2.0, a rookie with a good upside might be 2.5/4.0 (max rating is 5.0), while a near star or star might be 3.5 or 4.0/5.0 something like that.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

I'm thinking of joining this myself since this is a public auction and I've had to sit out of this the past few ones, but it could be a conflict of interest as far as people thinking I might muck my own's teams ratings or change my roster at different times than anyone else (which I wouldn't, obv), but if we do need a spot filled, I definitely wouldn't mind joining. Want to see if this fills up by tomorrow/Friday night though.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Where do the ratings come from and when can they get changed? They’re impressively intricate!

There's a guy that makes pretty much every update and I downloaded his rosters + jerseys + NBA mod basically for the game. However, I can go through and update any wonky settings for players (say, like, Kyrie Irving having an 8 for perimeter defense or something (not real, just an example) and post any updates in the thread of changes made. Maybe do a quick run down + little tweaks for one player on each team (if needed) and post the updates in the thread? Maybe do it once before the season starts, and once at all star break? Then roll with the new rosters/mods for next season? I don't want to tweak things too much, or on a whim, but also want players to accurately reflect their skill sets and not be useless if they aren't useless IRL. But yeah, we can vote for this kind of stuff after we get our rosters and some other information I'll need before the sim starts.

Cool Buff Man posted:

If anyone doubts you, I will kick their rear end, you've put in untold amounts of work the past few years and if you wanna join in to have some fun for once I trust you

alansmithee posted:

If anyone thinks that they're an idiot, especially with all the work you've put into these. Tbh I say don't even bother waiting, just grab a spot for yourself.

Thanks pals!! I'll think bout it overnight!! I'm just trying to make sure if there's any sort of thing involving the game that would be a complete no go as far as conflict of interest. I don't think there is, but maybe like, the potential of knowing what certain players ratings are beforehand? Maybe I can post the ratings next to the players when they're auctioned so that everyone knows what sort of "sim rating"/potential a player has.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Will we be able to know the player ratings ahead of time or are we just guessing?

I can put the player rating total (the 2.0/3.0 rating stuff) next to the players being auctioned, but as far as every individual stat, would be too time consuming unless I just screenshot every current roster with the big board of that stuff. I intend to do that after all the rosters are finished, but beforehand, I can think about doing it if people want it? The player rating total number IS the culmination of every individual rating put together, so in essence, you would be seeing it.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Lockback posted:

Just play. Make yourself not be able to bid after ten minutes before the end of auctions so you aren't tempted by last second scoops and don't cheat otherwise. It's not that hard.

Bids reset regardless (it's 4 hours of no one bidding), but I don't intend to do anything like that regardless :-) but okay I'm excited to play!

OK gently caress it i'll bring NOLA some championships before the city sinks underwater

4 spots left! I sent some PMs out to some past players, but if you know anyone that would like to join, feel free to pass them the link

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

sc0tty posted:

I'm down if there is still a spot.

Spurs, Suns, Hornets

you can pick out of any of those!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Dutchy posted:

Is the sim good? Out of the Park baseball has eaten up massive amounts of my life so playing a good basketball sim game would probably kill me and it's how I want to die

It's cool! But it's a bit pricey. I think $35? So I wouldn't say its WORTH it because the level of customization isn't on the level of OOTP, but with mods, it gets up there. I would honestly check out https://basketball-gm.com/ since it's free and updated a lot, and there's a huge reddit devoted to it and essentially does the same thing, but only in a browser.

Michael Corleone posted:

Hey Deadbeat, I have a question about the RFA tag. In your write up you mention greed and winning tags influencing where a player signs. This seem different than normal FA bidding where money/years trumps everything. Am I missing something or wouldn't you be guaranteed to get your RFA back if you match the highest offer and add the 5 year?

Yes it's intended to be different just because there's no outside influences ever influencing a potential RFA or "decisions" for computers to make. I think there's also a loyalty bar too? So it's not always cut and dry. Like I said, if their "greed" bar is lower, and another team is offering slightly less than you, and their "winning" bar is high, and you were a hugely losing team, there is a chance they will not resign. If their greed bar is high, and somebody is offering, say, 250 a year and your max is 230, they have a good chance to sign him as well, since in regular free agency, money > years unless money is the same, then more years will matter. A team can hypothetically take a chance on your RFA and not want to sign theirs, or have a lot of money tied up in 1 year deals or something to have enough room to give a similar contract.

It's not a perfect system, but with that said, I want there to be a decently good chance for people to retain RFAs, but also the chance of them signing elsewhere too.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

tadashi posted:

Only suggestion I might have is structure the OP around the most relevant things first and the things that come later to come at the end.

Once the draft starts I'll be posting the rules that pertain to the draft only with it

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Anyway 2 SPOTS LEFT let's fill this poo poo by tonight

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Lockback posted:

Wait, so are we going to be using Greed/Winning/whatever as part of this? I think it should be cut and dry so people don't get screwed by the RNG or some stupid hardcode "everyone wants to go to the Lakers"

Only 30 players (RFA) in the entire game are being used for this metric, because everybody else are UFAs, and this only comes into play if deals are close, or if another team is offering more for your guy.

I'll be using random.org for it, and let's say, at worse, you're 0/3 in the metrics to resign your RFA, the lowest you can go is a 50/50 chance to lose him. 2/3 or 3/3 will make it 8/10 or 9/10 chance to resign him. I'll make a more relevant post for it once it's ironed out besides its a while away, but along those lines.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Mountain Dew Code Bread posted:

I kinda want to join in but I've only gotten busier at work and I haven't really had time to watch anything but highlights for the past few weeks. If nobody else joins by tomorrow I'll go ahead and reprise my role as the Suns.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

The B_36 posted:

I've been home sick all this week with bad intestinal cramps, laying in bed, aching in pain, a cloud of deliriousness washing over me, when I heard a small beep from my phone. There was an email from a unknown contact - all I saw at first was "BYOGM", and I instantly felt better. Because of this, I feel like I should get the last team available.

Sign me up to be GM of.........

The Hornets? Did I read that right?

Hornets are available, yes.

Depending on if Mountain Dew Code Bread signs up by tomorrow, we will be officially filled! But also still Co-GM spots available if anybody else is interested, since there are a few teams wanting to have a few co-gms, so feel free to still sign up (anyone that may be viewing!)

also, once it's full tomorrow, I will repost the pertinent rules before anything begins (so, the bidding rules next) and let everybody know when it'll officially start. I am going to tweak a few things I've already posted, not huge changes, but just quality of life stuff for me and to make the bidding go as smoothly as possible. This will be the most time consuming part (on your end) of the entire process, but probably the most fun part as well, after this it'll be very low effort involvement for anybody worried about that, but I do hope people stay active and keep up with their teams at least!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Midnight grace is fine instead, if people prefer that!

And that sucks, CBM, but I totally understand.

So yes, still looking for one spot left for anybody that still wants to sign up. (Pending Mountain Dew Code Bread)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

I've already sent out a lot of PMs to people in past games, I don't want to spam the link again in the N/V unless I HAVE to, maybe if anybody is in the Discord SAS server, throw down a link? Just need 1-2 more spots right now, would appreciate it. Would like to start Sunday at the latest.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

May have a replacement for CBM, should know by tonight. Also still waiting on MDCB if he wants that Suns spot.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

The B_36 posted:

This may be the first time really looking at it because I'm now their GM, but the Hornets really have a pretty sick logo.

I don't have PM's, do you need my email DBD?

I think that's where I got a hold of you in the first place, so you should be good!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

OKAY, we're officially full! Awesome.

I'm tinkering with the Google spreadsheet that you guys are going to be using to check for the official bids/updated info, will post it once the bids are live. All bids are to be made in thread. The bidding rules will be in that Google spreadsheet, but I will post the rules that pertain to bidding in the thread as well once it's officially underway. I've also made every team's customized team pages, please do not tinker with the format of it in any way, as I'm going to be using it to keep track of players and money. Any aesthetic stuff you can add, just try not to mess with too much. I'll let everybody have edit powers, but don't abuse it. Early mornings/afternoons I may not be around (since I work/sleep pretty late into the night), so once you see the format of how keeping track of player bids/leading bids work, it should be easy for anybody to edit in the information. If by any chance I'm not here when a player is won and there is an obvious 4 hour window where nobody has bid, please do not continue bidding on the player, and I will add new player(s).

Final question: Should we start the bidding on Saturday (tomorrow) or on Monday? I'm trying to avoid starting on Sunday just because people will be having Super Bowl festivities and might not be around for important times.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 2, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

a few questions:

1). so straight up "most money per year" is the only thing that matters in the bidding, right? A 3 year/$100 contract is worth more than a 4 year/$90 contract?

2). sort of related to the last point, but if someone bids, say, 2 years/$150, instead of bidding a higher total, can you just bid a higher number of years, like 3 years $150 instead of having to increase the money per year?

3). If someone doesn't have a single bid on them they become a free agent, I assume. can you then give them a contract whenever? Like later on you can look through the people who didn't get any bids and say "I want this guy" at any time, or do we have to wait for a certain point?

1. That's what I was going to ask you guys.

Yes, originally had it just so that any money PERIOD would trump contract length (so, $101/1 yr would trump $100/5 yr), less realistic, because ideally it would require more than that if it was a one year deal, but it's easier for me + keeping track + my dumb rear end doing math. But obviously not as "realistic" since somebody would take $100/5 over $101/1 IRL. I'm not too worried about that (realism aspect), just want there to be one solid sort of direction with the contracts and not make it super complicated. Obviously years will play a bigger role in general doing it this way, but I think regardless, young/desirable players will get more years regardless of how bidding is done.

2. Yes, that's how it would work, if we go with this sort of bidding.

3. Yes, if there are no bids at all after 48 hours on a player, they will be replaced and be a free agent/a free agent list will be posted where the unbidded players will be. If you offer them a contract, it'll be the same process, four hours and they're yours.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 2, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Lockback posted:

Then you get weird things like 30 x 2 is less valuable than 16 x 4. I say do just Per year with years being the tie breaker. The fact that UFAs don't get any preference to sign with their own team gives you the motivation to add more years.

Yeah, I get complete sense why it makes more sense to do it those ways, just don't want to complicate poo poo up too much here

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Would anybody be adverse to me instead of only using the top 30 players real contracts, just using it for everybody? That way the years thing doesn't become messy and it's all just $ based?

And instead of one RFA tag, you could have two of them?

I think either that or just the original way. Again, realize how "unrealistic" the original way is, but it's just a sim, so just wanting it to be the most efficient/least prone to (my) error way.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Doltos posted:

That's probably for the best and will prevent arguments when a fringe star gets multiple cheap years or gets stolen with a single year big deal.

Alright, cool.

And for any late bidding stuff where people ONLY can offer $1 contracts or something and nobody can "win" with a higher bid on a player, it'll just be the guy who put $1 on them first.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Question on game sims. Are player injuries going to reflect real life or will they be randomly generated in the sim? I think I remember reading that we will do periodic roster updates so player progression will track real life.

No, if a player gets injured in the sim, that's one thing, but people like Isiah/Oladipo/etc aren't going to be injured in the game if they're injured IRL. I'm also putting injuries slightly less than 100% (maybe 80% or 90%, 100% being normal), just so there aren't a bunch of BS injuries that ruin the season, but enough chance so that things still can happen. The only "IRL" updates that will happen is right before I sim the season and at the all-star break, I'll look over all of the rosters and adjust any sort of ratings that are out of whack. Like, Joe Harris should be a solid contributor and not have scrub ratings, Gordon Hayward isn't going to have 9/10 offense ratings, stuff like that. But every update/injury/etc will be shown in thread/in the spreadsheet, as well as player ratings next to the player so you guys know what sort of ratings they have in the game and what you're bidding on. Actually, I'll adjust that before any of this because I'm not going to "lower" anybody's stats after the game starts, whatever happens happens. Just tweaking players beforehand, and then posting their ratings so everything is out there.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Theres another way to handle the years issue. Make it so both the AAV and the number of years are progressive. So if you want to beat someones bid, you have to beat either the AAV or the years but neither can be less.

Think I'm gonna just kibosh the years thing and just make it default to contracts at the start of this year, but this makes sense too.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 2, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Going to start BYOGM 5/bidding at 2 PM EST tomorrow (February 2nd, 2 PM EST)

I will post all updated bidding rules + spreadsheet (which will also have the rules on it) overnight so people can refresh themselves with the information.

Should be fun!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Bidding Rules

There are two final new/changed rules:

Every player is now going to be on their real NBA contract lengths, so you don't have to worry about year lengths anymore. They will be listed, whoever pays the most will get that player. In the event of a tie, whoever posted first will get that player.

Owners will get TWO RFA tags to be used whenever instead of one total. Once they are used, that's it.

The rest of the BIDDING rules will be in the BYOGM Spreadsheet. The main rules are still in the OP. Please bookmark this and have it open as often as you can, it will have all bidding information and roster updates posted there. The main page of the spreadsheet it will always have the rules pertaining to the next most important thing (bidding, draft, in season update stuff), but this thread's OP will always have all the rules.

BYOGM v.5 Spreadsheet

I will allow that link to be edited for every participant once this starts at 2 PM EST. Auctioned players will be posted in thread and in the sheet.

Until then, getting some sleep

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 2, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

For future years, how will waiving players work? Do you instantly clear their contract off your cap, or is it dead money like in real NBA?

"RELEASING A PLAYER/WAIVERS - All released players will count against your salary cap for the length of their contracts unless claimed on waivers. Waivers will last for 2 days (48 hours), and the player can be picked up for their contract offered by their original team, and the original team will have their salary wiped of that player. However, if that player clears waivers and enters free agency, a team can offer that player an entirely new contract (with the same 4 hour no bid acquisition rules), and the salary of that player's original contract will still count against the original team for the remainder of his initial contract. (The waiver wire will work in inverse order of the standings at the time the player is released if more than one team puts in a claim.)"

So yeah, counts against your cap for the remainder of years unless claimed on waivers or traded.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Will we have a tab in the spreadsheet that has all the players with their current contract years, just so we can keep tabs? I know a couple players have slipped through the cracks in years past.

My dumb question -- now that all players have current contract length, we're just bidding on value, which makes sense to me. But the $1000 hard cap is cumulative contract value, right? So if I have a player with a 3 year deal getting paid $50/year, that counts as $150 against the $1000 hard cap?

Also - I have a kid on the way in a couple weeks, so my brother is going to go-GM with me. Signed him up for an account, he'll probably pop in here at some point as awunderground.

Yes.

No, it's $1000 per year. So if you sign a guy at $500, you're not paying $1,500 but $500 a year, which is still half of your cap.

And great!

Lockback posted:

How will future FAs work with years? Random year length?

Good question! Yeah, can just always go back to the original way with this next offseason. Same with any player that gets through waivers. However, any free agent not signed by any team yet still has to has to go by their real NBA contract. Same with draft picks, the rules won't change there. I'll write some rules afterwards that clear up how that will work.

Also all sim rating stuff in the future is subject to change, like the rating stuff is simply their ratings/potentials for this season, not the entire thing.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

THE BIDDING POST

Trae Young - 5 years // SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL 3.5/5
Kyle O'Quinn - 1 year // SIM RATING: 2/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 2/5
Cedi Osman - 3 years // SIM RATING: 2/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3/5
Terrence Ross - 1 year // SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 2.5/5
Kris Dunn - 3 years // SIM RATING: 3.0/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Jaylen Brown - 3 years SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Kevin Durant - 2 years SIM RATING: 4.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 4.5/5
Bradley Beal - 3 years SIM RATING: 3.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Karl-Anthony Towns - 5 years SIM RATING: 4.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 5/5

----------------> CHECK THE BYOGM SPREADSHEET FOR BIDDING UPDATES <--------------------

I also created a BYOGM Discord that people can join so we don't clutter this with regular posts while we're bidding.

Have fun!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 2, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

I'll NOT start this off.

The Pelicans bid $10/1 year on Terrence Ross.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Also, don't edit your posts, goes without saying.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

You guys don't have to clarify the total amounts, as long as you realize you're bidding on money per year, not total money.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is also a dumb question but for player option years on contracts we are just counting those?

They're built in. (Like KD, for example, he's yours for 2 years)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Heading to the store real quick (at the worst time), but I have the doc so you guys can edit it now. The format is how it is, should be self explanatory.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

You can't bid on more than 2 players with the highest bid at once, Doltos.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Doltos posted:

Im confused. So we can only bid on two players per day?

No, you can have the highest bid on two players. Once it is beaten, you can bid elsewhere.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

But yeah, running to the store. Be back in a bit. Edit powers for the doc are up, it's formatted how I prefer already for easy examples.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

I just want to make sure that at 8 AM EST all bidding restarts with a 4 hour period without bids to get the player. ie; you can place a holder bid at 8:01 PM and come back the next day and still be in the running, no one can win a player overnight.

It's four hours total time without a bid, it doesn't "restart", but yes. If you bid at 8:01 PM and nobody bids after you, if nobody bids by 8:00 AM, that first minute of reopening, he's yours. Leading bids CAN be placed overnight, but the bids won't legally start until 8 AM, so nobody can ever be "won" if there is remaining time for them.

I should clarify: Any bids ON the hour of the 4th hour are not legal. In that example, a bid would have to be done at 8:00 AM to "beat" you for that player and restart the clock, not 8:01 AM.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

Cavs bid 55 on J. Brown per year.

eta; OK I think I get it DBD, as long as I make a bid after 801 and then another one before 800 AM I would be in the lead when the 'new day starts' or at least be in it?

Basically, the 4 hour rule still applies overnight (coming into the morning) but no one can win anyone before 8 in the morning? Sorry for being slow.

If you made a bid anytime after 8 PM, say 9 PM exactly, however many hours you have on that player will freeze at midnight (so, 3 hours), and starts again at 8 AM. You'd win that player at 9 AM (aka 1 hour left) if nobody else bids.

However, IF somebody beats your bid overnight, their clock doesn't start until 8 AM EST, and would need until noon to win if nobody bids. 12 AM EST to 8 AM EST time will be "frozen". Leading bids can be placed, but will NOT start their clock until 8 AM.

edit: Gonna make a text channel for questions + rules n stuff in the discord so it doesnt clutter here

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 2, 2019

«27 »