Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BigFactory posted:

It’s this. It’s music you hear in the supermarket or at the dentist.

In a weird bit of self deprecation, Richard Marx recently tweeted that he loves going to the dentist so he can hear his music playing somewhere. He’s actually pretty cool for a guy in my top 5 ‘Whitest Musicians of the 1980’s’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Never heard of that guy but Dick Marx sounds like a goon handle so he might be cool

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fat bossy gerbil posted:

My girlfriend put it perfectly when a DMB song came up on one of her Spotify playlists.

“I don’t hate Dave Matthews Band. I kinda like some of their stuff. I just don’t want anyone to know that I like it.”

There was a DMB song that friends of mine danced to when they got married, and I thought 'holy poo poo, I actually like a DMB song :aaa:' and was almost immediately feeling like "holy poo poo, I actually like a DMB song :psyduck:"

Whatever, people like what they want, life is short.

I think the song was something like 'Steady as she goes' or something similar, I don't know.

EDIT: Ok, so that's apparently not what the song was called, but I remember it was the last line of the chorus. Anyone know which one I'm referring to? I do actually want to hear it again to see how I feel about it now.

EDIT 2: Welp, I guess I had a mild stroke while trying to search before, because the song is literally called 'Steady as we go'.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There was a DMB song that friends of mine danced to when they got married, and I thought 'holy poo poo, I actually like a DMB song :aaa:' and was almost immediately feeling like "holy poo poo, I actually like a DMB song :psyduck:"

Whatever, people like what they want, life is short.

I think the song was something like 'Steady as she goes' or something similar, I don't know.

EDIT: Ok, so that's apparently not what the song was called, but I remember it was the last line of the chorus. Anyone know which one I'm referring to? I do actually want to hear it again to see how I feel about it now.

EDIT 2: Welp, I guess I had a mild stroke while trying to search before, because the song is literally called 'Steady as we go'.

Thanks for the updates.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

actionjackson posted:

Everyone in my HS loved dmb and would never shut the gently caress up about it. I graduated in 2000.
Same.

Did everyone gently caress to "Crush" (extended album version)? Some poor guy got a beejee to 3 Doors Down's Kryptonite once and it was terrible .

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Not reading this thread but my reason...

I’m not sold on the emotions behind his music and it’s not pleasing anyways.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Some poor guy got a beejee to 3 Doors Down's Kryptonite
This is a hilarious image

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DMB sounds like weird music your brain makes up in a dream

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 11, 2019

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I think the hatred for DMB is a combination of hippy-hate, prog being seen as a musical fedora in the 90s, and a reaction to a handful of bands that had a white singer who tried really hard to sound black.

DMB were at the center of that venn diagram. Even though they were actually skilled at their instruments, and had a distinctive sound, and there were far worse and far more popular artists at the time, DMB just pushed the anger button for some people.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
this sounds problematic and gas lighting

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bodyholes posted:

I think the hatred for DMB is a combination of hippy-hate, prog being seen as a musical fedora in the 90s, and a reaction to a handful of bands that had a white singer who tried really hard to sound black.

DMB were at the center of that venn diagram. Even though they were actually skilled at their instruments, and had a distinctive sound, and there were far worse and far more popular artists at the time, DMB just pushed the anger button for some people.

Did you just call Dave Mathews prog.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Progressive soft rock.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ, I just put 'dave matthews band' into youtube search and the first video was some soft bullshit with adam sandler in it.

What was the question again?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ego-bot posted:

Is it just goons being contrarian and hating the popular thing that people like?

They did dump a whole load of poo poo on a boat full of people once so that could explain some of it, but it seems like the hate started before then.

Listening to this right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjVFq-3dcjI

I like a lot of jam bands and I think the reason I don't like the Dave Matthews Band is, wait for it, I do not like Dave Matthews.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Whenever I think of DMB I just think of frat dudes in open topped Jeep wranglers, wearing polo shirts, and those white University of South Carolina hats that just said "COCKS" in huge letters on it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Julius CSAR posted:

Whenever I think of DMB I just think of frat dudes in open topped Jeep wranglers, wearing polo shirts, and those white University of South Carolina hats that just said "COCKS" in huge letters on it.

I just think about that time they dumped their tour bus sewage on a tour boat

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I just think about that time they dumped their tour bus sewage on a tour boat

I just learned about that because of this thread and it is probably all I will ever remember DMB for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Progressive soft rock.
Mister Mister songs played very quickly