Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do you pee? You will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nobody is gonna top that

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, he's a goon? What's his handle?
FoldableHuman

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jimbot posted:

Folks getting hung up on the piss jar will never not be weird to me. Most of the time it's not even a critique of the text of the movie, of that character. Like it has been said, Lex leaving a jar of piss on someone's desk would be totally in-character for him. Most critiques are of Zack Snyder making that decision to have a piss jar.
I ducked out to go to the toilet and missed the scene where Lex and the senator talk about piss, so my reaction to a jar labelled "granny's peach tea" out of nowhere was "uh? whuh? bluh?!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2house2fly posted:

I ducked out to go to the toilet and missed the scene where Lex and the senator talk about piss, so my reaction to a jar labelled "granny's peach tea" out of nowhere was "uh? whuh? bluh?!"

It must be liquid kryptonite and that's why Superman's x ray vision isn't working!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Lmao, this is hysterical to me. Just completely blindsided by a jar of piss out of nowhere

Also I didn't mean for a derail about the jar, guess it's still a sore spot

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Joking aside, it actually is just a cup of tea and not piss.

Lex’s point is that his cynicism makes him the only honest person in the world, whereas Senator Finch is perpetrating “the oldest lie in America.” Consequently, the message of the tea is that Senator Finch’s deterrent (i.e. the testimony of Wally Keele) was a lie concealing a weapon of assassination. She should have “drank the tea” and helped Lex to kill Superman, in the same way the other dude ate the Jolly Rancher.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Right, it's worth noting that Wally did not appear to actually have any useful testimony. He didn't come to Holly Hunter and say he had objective information about Superman that Congress and the American people needed to know. All he was to her was a voice that people might be sympathetic to that would say Superman wasn't a hero. He's a PR stunt for Finch as well as Luthor, just of a different nature.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never noticed this. drat.

https://twitter.com/ImperiousLex/status/1308825900989861888

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

I believe this was posted in this thread at one point but theres a full on analysis of the Bagua in BvS here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDDdvSKX2E

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AccountSupervisor posted:

I believe this was posted in this thread at one point but theres a full on analysis of the Bagua in BvS here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDDdvSKX2E

Oh yeah! I remember now. Good video.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The reshoots discourse has hit my feed and folks, these guys are extremely mad!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just don't get why people gotta hate on the idea of ZS getting his version (well now an expanded version) of his JL released. Its very silly.

In other news, I have been lazy/bad about getting our OP stuff for editing up the first post. I have stumbled, I have fallen, but I will do my best to join you all in the sun.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
If I had the time or any ability at all, I would make a video about how some filmmakers seem to become evil monsters to sections of an audience just for the crime of (at worst) making a bad film?

Like, Snyder is an evil dude-bro Objectivist idiot, George Lucas raped some peoples childhoods, Rian Johnson is a piece of poo poo... and so on.

The thing is though, it's not the same people in all those groups, they're not linked by politics or anything, it seems EVERYONE has a director who is a very bad man. Some of the people who like Johnson and defend TLJ will talk poo poo about Snyder, so you can't just say it's right wing fucktards popping off again (although they do exist what with their hatred of Johnson. Personally I think TLJ wasn't very good, but his other movies - Brothers Bloom excluded - are all really good).

I like Snyder's films but if someone doesn't I'm not gonna lost my poo poo, but why does not liking his films turn into hating the director? I don't like TLJ but I don't think it means Johnson is a monster. Where does this come from, the seemingly performative mocking and derision? Why can't a movie just be bad, why does the director have to be evil?

And to be clear I'm not talking about things like Whedon being a poo poo person in his personal life, or Weinstein being a monster, those are bad things, I'm talking about movie quality reflecting a persons quality as a human being.

It's possible to make bad movies and be a good person and to make good movies and be a poo poo you know? (See Polanski, Roman)

I guess religion died and we substituted nerd films for the bible or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because dumb people need an enemy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MacheteZombie posted:

I just don't get why people gotta hate on the idea of ZS getting his version (well now an expanded version) of his JL released. Its very silly.

It's really annoying seeing people being that obtuse. Literally everyone that talked about the Snyder Cut knew it was in the vein of a rough cut or an assembly cut. They knew effects shots had to be finished for it to be totally done.

If a movie I hated was getting a different cut I would simply... not care about it at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s about them not getting what they want. As revenge. Because you...didn’t like a movie

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

It’s about them not getting what they want. As revenge. Because you...didn’t like a movie

Yeah, it's hosed up. It's so tangential to actually watching and liking movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LesterGroans posted:

It's really annoying seeing people being that obtuse. Literally everyone that talked about the Snyder Cut knew it was in the vein of a rough cut or an assembly cut. They knew effects shots had to be finished for it to be totally done.

If a movie I hated was getting a different cut I would simply... not care about it at all.

I will say I thought it was silly at first, but I also didn't know just how much Whedon had changed the tone and feel of the film with his rewrite and re-shoots. Having learned that, I am more than okay with Snyder getting to tell the story he wanted, and I think HBO Max is the perfect kind of place to do this kind of an experiment (and it gives the studio a major release they can hype up to see in your own home in the midst of the pandemic throttling theaters)

So I'm all for it, and after revisiting BvS, I'm especially curious to see what he does

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

In other news, I have been lazy/bad about getting our OP stuff for editing up the first post. I have stumbled, I have fallen, but I will do my best to join you all in the sun.

I love the pedantry about how this technichally isn't his original version from 4 years ago anymore.

Like, oh no, he gets to make even more than what he wanted do in the first place! Snyder stans have been owned.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

CelticPredator posted:

Because dumb people need an enemy.

I got screenshotted and blasted on twitter by someone once for suggesting in this thread that fandom psychology mirrors that(to a degree) of religion and especially periods of religious reformation. It is consistently demonstrated in online discourse.

This isnt even an original thought either there have been actual drat academic studies about it.

This is from 2015 from an article about the
Fandom and Religion Conference at the University of Leicester
https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2015/july/finding-faith-fandom-and-religion

I really think some people underestimate the permeance of a lack of meaning and purpose in a lot of peoples lives in the modern world and how many people have filled that void with consumerism and pop culture and the warped psychology it breeds.

In the same way religion needs a pariah and an enemy to justify its notion of a One True Religion, so does pop culture fandom, especially in a world thats constantly competing for your attention, time and money.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People harping on Zack Snyder this much and after this long just remind me of the little sad sacks who rant about Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams over Star Wars. The films Zack Snyder makes aren't for you. You don't like them. It's OK to accept that fact and move on. Don't become like the dingdongs you make fun of for doing the same thing to a film you like.

A little self-awareness goes a very long way and will make everyone happy!

Edit: What's the equivalent of "little whit cuck ball" to the people who harp on Zack Snyder?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 25, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roth posted:

I love the pedantry about how this technichally isn't his original version from 4 years ago anymore.

Like, oh no, he gets to make even more than what he wanted do in the first place! Snyder stans have been owned.

Yeah the idea seems to be that unless WB releases the completely polished and fully post-processed cut that Snyder Cut fans totally believe existed in March of 2017 then the entire #RtSC movement is a proven farce and will disappear in a puff of smoke I guess.

But it is weird to see people effectively going "Haw Haw! You get even more footage from this director you love, you stupid rubes!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

People harping on Zack Snyder this much and after this long just remind me of the little sad sacks who rant about Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams over Star Wars. The films Zack Snyder makes aren't for you. You don't like them. It's OK to accept that fact and move on. Don't become like the dingdongs you make fun of for doing the same thing to a film you like.

A little self-awareness goes a very long way and will make everyone happy!

Edit: What's the equivalent of "little whit cuck ball" to the people who harp on Zack Snyder?

As someone who's generally okay with most of her other videos

Just pick any of the Maggie Mae put downs I'm sure one will fit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still say they should do a full Whedon Cut too, let him finish the movie he was told to

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I still say they should do a full Whedon Cut too, let him finish the movie he was told to

I'd be all for it but don't let him around actual actors.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

give him a bunch of knock off action figures. The results will be indistinguishable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about what the safest thing would be. Don't want him around animators- while he may not try to sleep with them he'd probably harass them. Puppeteers aren't people but they deserve some compassion as well.

Really seems to be the only option.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
People get mad when they see those they think of as political opponents have fun

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggestBatman posted:

People get mad when they see those they think of as political opponents have fun

The problem is that most of us would agree politically for most of it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Randian objectivist, surely.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jimbot posted:

probably that time Olson insisted Zod killed the family at the end of MoS even as people sent him screencaps proving he didn't

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

LesterGroans posted:

I’ve seen people complain and get really mad that it’s not fair that a movie they liked but was critically panned or didn’t get a sequel but Snyder gets to release his own cut of JL.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One take I saw was that the funding going to this movie could have gone to other projects. Which, yeah, but that's true of every movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/atticusxprime/status/1309272609243246592?s=20

https://twitter.com/dewnelson1/status/1309307157276364802?s=20

Diane Nelson was the former president of DC entertainment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burkion posted:

Oh right, I forgot he sucks

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Fuuuuuuuuuck

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jimbot posted:

Superman should sssssssssssmile more!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

People in this very dome get mad when someone makes a YouTube they don’t like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

well why not posted:

People in this very dome get mad when someone makes a YouTube they don’t like.

I also don't seek out and watch hours long videos making GBS threads on movies I enjoy.

But I can at least see why someone would "get mad" at criticism they disagree with and talk about that. If the director of... like, Dan in Real Life said he got taken off of the film and wanted to release his original cut I can't imagine being passionately opposed to it.