Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

That tweet by Diane Nelson looks to have been deleted, what did it say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

“Oh, it happened to plenty of them.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

it said “Oh, it happened to plenty of them.” in reply to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/JNKLENS/status/1309282903000375296?s=20

Wow, her whole account has been deleted.

edit - she liked this tweet before deleting her account

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 25, 2020

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Oh poo poo I just realised the original tweet was specifically about comic writers not general fans and therefore the implication is that Johns was similarly abusive of writers on the comics side.

I've liked more than my fair share of Johns' comics work but gently caress that guy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I was about to say it was deleted, you sleuths beat me to it lol

Ej
Apr 13, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

I really think some people underestimate the permeance of a lack of meaning and purpose in a lot of peoples lives in the modern world and how many people have filled that void with consumerism and pop culture and the warped psychology it breeds.

In the same way religion needs a pariah and an enemy to justify its notion of a One True Religion, so does pop culture fandom, especially in a world thats constantly competing for your attention, time and money.

Agree 100%, and it's an idea that I've seen picking up traction in a few different circles. Contrapoints made a video specifically about how this relates to men trying to navigate modern gender norms and falling into red-pill traps (totally understand if Contrapoints is not your cup of tea, but the video is here if you wanna check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xxcKCGljY related stuff starts around minute 20). Politicians have also been racking their brains for decades trying to figure out how to engage the voting public more, and lo and behold a reality tv host manages to find a base without even really trying to, cuz they can tap into that kind of "religiosity" like second nature.

gently caress, this reminds of Network.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cSGvqQHpjs

Twitter is our collective window, and we're all mad as loving hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I broke on December 18 2017 when I came out of TLJ and I saw everyone’s reactions.

After that movie opinions for the most part are insane and awful on the internet. It seems extreme to say, but yeah. It’s kind of true. People want a villain. A person to attack. Over something like a movie. The product of hundreds of people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No Cavill for reshoots?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Wait so where exactly is this $70mil number coming from? All the articles Ive seen just say "reportedly". By who?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I clicked on a headline that said 70 mil and then that figure wasn't mentioned at all in the article, which seemed a bit odd

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Do you think that Alan Moore or Zack Snyder ever saw Mr. Freedom?

He's basically The Comedian, shooting rioting black people to spread "freedom."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBoebN8DQV4

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Stumbled upon a reading of Batman Begins in the archives of an online journal

http://imagetext.english.ufl.edu/imagetext/archives/v2_2/fisher/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mmmmalo posted:

Stumbled upon a reading of Batman Begins in the archives of an online journal

http://imagetext.english.ufl.edu/imagetext/archives/v2_2/fisher/

That's a good summary, and serves as a nice segue into Man Of Steel, where Wayne Enterprises as the 'heart of the city', to a large degree powered by Chinese sweatshop labour, is replaced by the World Engine - the engine of the world economy which, with no use for workers at all, just directly extracts resources from the Indian Ocean and funnels them to New York Metropolis. The imagery of an elevator through the Earth, like the mythical tunnel to China, is pretty much taken from Lang's own Metropolis (as expanded upon in that awful-but-imaginative Total Recall remake).

At the one end, the ship obviously looms over the city like a demonic world trade center that itself automatically generates fundamentalist terror. At the other end, the machine presents a repeat of that first scene of fishermen confronted with an oil rig belching smoke. By this point, it's now it's understood that the threat to the people is not an accident in the system but the inherent result of capitalism's success. The World Engine isn't glitching out; it's working exactly as it's supposed to. Clark Kent can't be limited to just saving lives from individual disasters as they occur.

So, moving beyond the satire of Batman Begins, where we have a twisted restoration of the good (liberal-philanthropist) father's legacy against the bad (fascist) father, Zod explicitly states that he and Jor-El are on the same team. And Jor-El is a character cursed with the awareness that capitalism is hurtling towards an apocalyptic endpoint, but also that he's been programmed to never think beyond it. So has no other recourse but to pray for his own destruction.

The comparison highlights how Begins' Batman character falls short of Superman, as he moves beyond his father's specific plans ("I don't have to save you"), but remains beholden to the corporation ("it's all a bit technical, but the important thing is that my company's future is secure").

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Welp the 300 4K bluray is absolutely gorgeous. I was worried itd be a cheap 2K upres but they clearly took their time with it and it is probably one of the best looking 4K upgrades Ive seen.

Will absolutely be joining my "movies to show off the home theater" collection.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

AccountSupervisor posted:

Welp the 300 4K bluray is absolutely gorgeous. I was worried itd be a cheap 2K upres but they clearly took their time with it and it is probably one of the best looking 4K upgrades Ive seen.

Will absolutely be joining my "movies to show off the home theater" collection.

Can you see with hyper clarity the spittle coming from Gerard Butler’s performance?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gatts posted:

Can you see with hyper clarity the spittle coming from Gerard Butler’s performance?

Yes...and grain. My god the film grain.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The important question is : can you tell the contouring around the abs ?

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 6, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can you discern the insulating properties of the belly button fluff?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Happy to report all belly related VFX holds up solidly.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Rewatching Man of Steel for the first time since uhhh the first year it came out on VoD

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dreqqus posted:

Rewatching Man of Steel for the first time since uhhh the first year it came out on VoD

awesome thanks let us know what other media youre consuming

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hey now, new Snyderbros are always welcome.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yes, join us

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

you cannot be a True Snyder Bro until you have watched The Owl Movie

(I also haven't, maybe I should tonight)

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Ammanas posted:

awesome thanks let us know what other media youre consuming

Sorry meant to come back and post impressions but had a family emergency about halfway through the movie. I'll preface this by saying I was fairly illiterate when it comes to reading film the first time I watched.

I definitely enjoyed the film, which is a pleasant surprise. I definitely hated it the first time, mostly due to the perceived mood of the piece at the time. I do not understand a fascist reading of MoS. Came across as fairly left of center with the overall theme being to help one another and to be able to learn and grow, rather than stagnating and fighting to return to a misremembered golden age. I think that people confused Zod being depicted as sympathetic, a tragic victim of the system that created him, with Zod being depicted as right, which he definitely was not. The movie was a bit pro-military for my liking, and I'm still not a huge fan of Russell Crowe's Jor-El but overall I enjoyed the movie and am glad I researched it.

Next I think I'll probably just binge some YouTube videos or maybe watch that Hulu show based on North American Lake Monsters :perjury:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dreqqus posted:

I think that people confused Zod being depicted as sympathetic, a tragic victim of the system that created him, with Zod being depicted as right, which he definitely was not.

I think a lot of people confuse, "I understand his motivations," with "He was in the right."

He was definitely not in the right.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
He may not have been right but he was Michael Shannon, so who are we to judge?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Right you kind of saw the flip side of it with Thanos in the Infinity War/Endgame movies, where yeah, dude is a monster created by his circumstances, but you see a whole lot of people around the time saying Thanos was right, and agreeing with Thanos's plan.

Grendels Dad posted:

He may not have been right but he was Michael Shannon, so who are we to judge?

This is also true.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dreqqus posted:

Right you kind of saw the flip side of it with Thanos in the Infinity War/Endgame movies, where yeah, dude is a monster created by his circumstances, but you see a whole lot of people around the time saying Thanos was right, and agreeing with Thanos's plan.

Yeah.... these are the people you hope never get put in charge.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GORDON posted:

Yeah.... these are the people you hope never get put in charge.

Ah, you mean the people in charge?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
i think Michael shannon could make a good batman.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dreqqus posted:

I had a nazi cabbie in London once who didn't understand how anyone couldn't like Trump's immigration policy and thought Thanos had the right idea.

It was a pretty uncomfortable drive to the airport to get out of London.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dreqqus posted:

This is extremely funny/terrifying because Thanos's plan is gibberish that may as well have come from a GPT2 text generator.

I liked Man Of Steel ok the first time I saw it, but watching it more recently it really hit the spot and I fell in love with it. I think originally I just thought "well yeah it's grimdark like all the reviews said, but that's the world right now, everything's grimdark" and I had to let it percolate and come back to it to realize it actually isn't grimdark. Eg when Clark asks "what was I supposed to do, just let them die?" I remembered his dad saying "maybe" which is a cool and morally grey response, but on a rewatch what he actually says is "...........maybe......?......." like a worried father who doesn't have the answers his son needs.

I agree the military gets a bit too much spotlight, but at least they get a few instances of looking like dumb assholes (putting handcuffs on the flying alien?!) and the film ends with Superman telling them to get off his back

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

I agree the military gets a bit too much spotlight, but at least they get a few instances of looking like dumb assholes (putting handcuffs on the flying alien?!) and the film ends with Superman telling them to get off his back

I've said it before but the US military vs Kryptonians aka XCOM Rookies vs Mutons was by far the best part of the movie. Especially when Stabler goes "gently caress it" and pulls the knife out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I've said it before but the US military vs Kryptonians aka XCOM Rookies vs Mutons was by far the best part of the movie. Especially when Stabler goes "gently caress it" and pulls the knife out.

That scene is a good example for how "problematic" Snyder can be, because it's an amazingly fun and badass scene which still let's you conclude that the soldiers in question are kind dumb and approach things wrong. The biggest tell is that when Stabler pulls his knife, Eugenics Woman smiles approvingly. When the Space Nazi gives you a nod for handling things right, you're not handling things right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

That scene is a good example for how "problematic" Snyder can be, because it's an amazingly fun and badass scene which still let's you conclude that the soldiers in question are kind dumb and approach things wrong. The biggest tell is that when Stabler pulls his knife, Eugenics Woman smiles approvingly. When the Space Nazi gives you a nod for handling things right, you're not handling things right.

Best cinematic couple of the 2010s

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're in the phantom zone together making babies imo.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

I saw it less as a fascist moment, and more a fellow-warrior moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I always felt like "good for this ant, he's not quitting." A little bit of respect for him. She'd still kill him twenty five times without even thinking about it, but admires his spirit.

And yeah the thing about the military is that they're shot with a lot of care and respect while still, factually, being really stupid and bad. It's their jets that bring down a bunch of buildings outside of the gravity beam in Metropolis, it's their Warthog that flames out down the street of Smallville and puts a bunch of people in danger, hell they shoot Superman in the forehead with a gatling gun. Those guys suck, but they're always in well-composed shots that make them look good while they gently caress up.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 12, 2020