Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nolan fight scenes work ok because the stuff around them is cool, in a vacuum they’re pretty lame. It’s kind of the reverse kaiju movie problem.

He’d never do it but if he’d delegate or collaborate with an action crew his movies would be better served.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
TDKR is literally about about both the police and Batman being reborn into their Batman 66 versions, so it is to some degree intentionally corny looking.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

TDKR is literally about about both the police and Batman being reborn into their Batman 66 versions, so it is to some degree intentionally corny looking.
I was so butthurt about TDKR when I first watched it but definitely have come to accept that this was the point.

I think I'm more ambivalent towards Nolan than just about any director though, sometimes I just absolutely hate him and I can't pinpoint why.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

But TDKRs fights were awful because they all hinged on someone deus ex machina'ing from off screen. Married with Nolan's fight choreography(aggressive dance) it comes off as pitiful. He didn't even put emphasis on the backbreaker.

As people stated, the whole point was that Batman and everyone born from the League sucked as well as Gotham police, so everyone needed to be reborn and get over their silly poo poo. Everyone in that movie was stupid as hell except Blake and that's why he gets to be Batman if needed (and he also realized cops suck).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

well why not posted:

Nolan fight scenes work ok because the stuff around them is cool, in a vacuum they’re pretty lame. It’s kind of the reverse kaiju movie problem.

He’d never do it but if he’d delegate or collaborate with an action crew his movies would be better served.

We already have the MCU problem where the action scenes are made completely separately as basically filler.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

But TDKRs fights were awful because they all hinged on someone deus ex machina'ing from off screen. Married with Nolan's fight choreography(aggressive dance) it comes off as pitiful. He didn't even put emphasis on the backbreaker.

I'm not saying they were good. But the explicit point of BB's style was that Batman relies on surprise and fear. As you show more of it, as he does in TDK and even more so in Rises, you realise how silly it all looks. It strikes me as much as a textual choice as a limitation of the stunt team.

I mean, Bane straight tells him that he's dependent on theatrics.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The shot of the gas pellets blowing up around Bane is a really effective shot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a reason that in pretty much all Batman media, and illustrated quite well in the Arkham games, that Batman's whole horror movie schtick really only works on goons, and as a way to deal with heavily armed ones. Actually pretty consistent that he switches up his fighting style depending on what he's facing, just in the Nolanverse there's very little in the way of opponents besides goons and military hardware. Also pretty common for him to get his cape handed to him the first time around and then figure out how to deal with them next time.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not saying they were good. But the explicit point of BB's style was that Batman relies on surprise and fear. As you show more of it, as he does in TDK and even more so in Rises, you realise how silly it all looks. It strikes me as much as a textual choice as a limitation of the stunt team.

I mean, Bane straight tells him that he's dependent on theatrics.

Darko posted:

As people stated, the whole point was that Batman and everyone born from the League sucked as well as Gotham police, so everyone needed to be reborn and get over their silly poo poo. Everyone in that movie was stupid as hell except Blake and that's why he gets to be Batman if needed (and he also realized cops suck).
I don't disagree with any of this, but I think Snyder had the right idea that you can't just go through the motions because it's based on the past.

https://youtu.be/SnHCZCqqbg4

The fight choreography is just there.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Superman Returns should have just been this:

Title Card
Superman saving plane scene
"Is everyone alright?"
The End

I'm a giant Superman fan and I can't remember anything about it except the airplane and the bullet bouncing off Kal-El's loving eye. Which was pretty loving cool. I also like the shooter's optimism, "I just put 40,000 rounds from a minigun into this guy's chest and he doesn't care but will he withstand... MY GLOCK!?!"

Wasn't the plot something about Lex Luthor trying to run a real estate scam using some Kryptonian crystal or something? And at the end Superman lifts a continent made of Kryptonite into space and his Super-son kills a mook with a piano?

People can talk poo poo about Jesse's Lex all they want, that Kevin Spacey Lex is loving dire awful IMO, less of a villain and more of a scammy rear end in a top hat. Maybe WB will throw Brandon Routh a bone and let him be a multiverse Superman bit part in a movie someday. Feel bad for the dude, he was a pretty decent Supes stuck in a loving abominable bore of a movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It kinda makes sense since that’s how everyone beats dragons or armoured beasts in fantasy stories- go for the eye.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair the first movie Lex was also a scammy rear end in a top hat. Just his scam happened to involve uh, detonating California

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Retyrns the scam was to make a new continent, which would displace water flooding a ton of the US. Lex would somehow legally own this continent and control it with his army of about 4 goons. People would want to live on this ugly as gently caress continent with no vegetation, water, or animal life

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 3, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

e: also "capeshit" sounds too much like "apeshit" so it seems kind of angry

No those are Kong films and Congo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How does Kal eventually get the upper hand on zod . Zod seems to have been a better Kyrotinian.

Maybe I missed it. Its frenetic and my family won’t shut up ever

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

How does Kal eventually get the upper hand on zod . Zod seems to have been a better Kyrotinian.

Zod’s trying to slam Superman into the Earth from orbit, but Superman manages to flip them at the last moment so that Zod takes the impact instead.

It’s implied that he gets the strength to do this because he senses Lois nearby.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh yeah watching it as a clip on YouTube zod realizes he’s about to get hurt and screams.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I was surprised the “Kal-El, no!” in JL was Snyder. Obviously Lois would have talked with Bruce and Diana, but it felt more like a Whedon line for some reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a side by side comparison, it's a different take. Neither take is very good.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s because Gal Gadot’s read is horrible but hey, Snyder’s not a miracle worker.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1378382877813960709

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

well why not posted:

I always thought they looked silly as hell because Nolan’s Batman uses some kind of really specific martial art where he blocks and attacks with his forearms consistently. I don’t know poo poo about martial arts, so I can’t elaborate, but Batman does it all three movies and it just looks stupid.

Also Bale’s Batman voice. Lmao.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

I always thought they looked silly as hell because Nolan’s Batman uses some kind of really specific martial art where he blocks and attacks with his forearms consistently. I don’t know poo poo about martial arts, so I can’t elaborate, but Batman does it all three movies and it just looks stupid.

Also Bale’s Batman voice. Lmao.
That "style" was invented for the movies as I recall, and is in fact dumb as hell

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martman posted:

That "style" was invented for the movies as I recall, and is in fact dumb as hell
Makes sense when his bracers have sickass spikes on them

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Nolan movies are also one long subversive poo poo on Batman and exposing how dumb the whole thing is. He’s meant to be a goober because that’s what the whole of Batman is.

Violator
May 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/theSNYDERVERSE/status/1378400561553403904

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

+1 Snyder should just walk away from WB and take whatever the gently caress Netflix offers him lol.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

+1 Snyder should just walk away from WB and take whatever the gently caress Netflix offers him lol.

Guys, guys....Zack Snyder's Warhammer (or 40,000)

It's got armour, it's got slo mo, it's got perpetually moody lighting.

It's actually kind of weird that, as everything gets a movie or tv adaptation, there still hasn't been a 40k adaptation outside of that one really bad cartoon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Guys, guys....Zack Snyder's Warhammer (or 40,000)

It's got armour, it's got slo mo, it's got perpetually moody lighting.

It's actually kind of weird that, as everything gets a movie or tv adaptation, there still hasn't been a 40k adaptation outside of that one really bad cartoon.

If Snyder does Warhammer, you bet your rear end Cavill would be all on it on that too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If they make a 40k adaptation without Cavill we'd need to organise a wellness check on the guy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cavil as Eisenhorn

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If I was going to do a 40K film or series of them, I'd probably start with something to do with inquisitors. They tend to kick off relatively small scale, tend to have a more diverse cast (rather than 'stoic space marine' and 'slightly more stoic space marine) and lend themselves to a straightforward structure. And, of course, you can get crazy. I think the first Eisenhorn book ends with a full scale invasion of a planet populated by Cthulu aliens or something.

I also think Snyder is one of the few guys that could do The Emperor vs. Horus as awesomely as i did it in my own head when I was 11.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just watched Zilla vs Munkey and I enjoyed it as a lite-snyder take on Bat v Superman.

Magical element bonded to old-style weapon that the OP force of Nature is weak against, enemies become allies as a gruesome third enters the fight (an abomination birthed from science and the misuse of a former threat's biological leavings), decent framing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If only the axe were a spear instead, and the magical Hollow Earth ape hall had an armory where Kong could don an armored suit made of Godzilla plate scales. The Luthor stand-in of some tech CEO wanting to kill a god is present too, so they should've just gone all in with the analogues lol. I love GvK so much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well the Axe is pretty obviously made of Godzilla dorsal scales, which I thought was a nice touch. Iono, even the color grading seemed like it was a brighter lit Snyder joint.

Some of the color work in the nighttime Hong Kong bash was real pretty. And the Hollow Earth stuff was just big fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Well the Axe is pretty obviously made of Godzilla dorsal scales, which I thought was a nice touch.

No yeah that's what I mean, I wish the Godzilla dorsal fin was affixed to a spear instead of an axe lol, and that Kong put on a suit of Godzilla plate scale armor because why the gently caress not lmao. The movie is already wacky as hell. Seeing a giant ape in plate armor would've been stupid fun.

[edit]

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 4, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also crossposting this because, lmao, I love the idea so much:

Violator posted:

This would have been the perfect way to introduce the little girl and her relationship with Kong. Have the movie open from Kong's perspective. He wakes up because of the sound of a terrible storm approaching. He sees it roll over the hills, killing baby Skull Crawlers and destroying villages. He rushes down to find the little girl sheltering under some debris, the last survivor. They look up in the sky and see a terrible three headed lizard flying in the sky with yellow lightning, the eye of the storm following it. KingG's storm disrupted the natural hurricane surrounding Skull Island. Now, with the storm gone and his camouflage gone, the titans and humans of the world become aware of Kong just as he wants to seek revenge against the lizard monsters that killed his community. He and the little girl must learn to trust other titans.

Yeah, yeah, it's even more like BvS but I consider that the gold standard of Vs movies. :colbert:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

teagone posted:

If Snyder does Warhammer, you bet your rear end Cavill would be all on it on that too.

And that guy who played zeus.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah really the only main difference is rather than Batman having agency even as he is being led around by Lex, Kong kind of us just acting in instinct mostly and the Lex is relying on that instinct.

Unless you kind of consider Alexander Skaaarsgard Batman and Kong as his suit, then he's the one being led around by Lex.

Either way Godzilla is the Superman of this scenario. But yeah it was a fun movie. I loved the hollow Earth stuff and the movie having no shame about saying "Oh yeah the earth is hollow in this movie btw, just accept it"

It's just a shame there was no Wonder Woman. Or Wonder Woman watching videos of other monsters. I think that was in the previous movie actually.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They actually mention that Skull Island is basically a case of the Hollow Earth ecosystem replicated on the surface.

Also, Cavill could be Ciaphas Cain.