Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Ellis video in general just makes me laugh because if anything YouTube is literally just the otherside of the coin of the same problems Twitter has.

Its an inherently narcissistic format of pop academia as entertainment that breeds cults of personalities adopting authoritative taste-making. To me Ive always valued art analysis as an exploration, not a dictation. A lot of that video essay poo poo veers into that area and it really bothers me.

I also just truly cannot stand the editing style in general of these types of videos. The choppy one sentences cuts, the smash cuts to clips of movies/TV for punchlines, the corny fake moments of epiphany, the forced emotional reactions(*sigh puts head in hands*). I can only tolerate so much of it before having to stop. Its torture. The irony being so much time is wasted in this stuff for style over substance to keep the kiddies attention. One of my previous clients was a pop musician and I had to edit videos like this for her and dear god it sucked.

And for the record I do like some of Ellis content(her TF and Hobbit series are great!) even if Im annoyed by the formatting and I think theres plenty of good video essays on youtube. I just also tink in general theres so much disingenuous bullshit permeating throughout that world so disconnected from the reality of the industries they spend their lives consuming the products of. Its bizzare.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Some of Ellis' mannerisms were picked up from Channel Awesome (which in turn got them from rotely copying The Angry Video Game Nerd), which was/is probably the most toxic influence on video essays, luckily most people have moved on from "make faces and scream at cartoons" and "ten minute long unfunny skits".

I don't think there's any more narcissism in video essays beyond what's already inherent to opting to both direct and star in your own series, personally. There's certainly incorrect opinions & assumptions but thats true of every critic in every medium.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Ellis's hobbit series IS great; as an example of the general limitations of the most popular nerd critics - there's some genuinely funny jokes and important observations of the effects of capitalist industry, but only maybe 15 minutes out of 3+ hours of actual analysis of the movies themselves - and most of that is juxtaposition of scenes from a Hobbit with scenes from a Lotr with a completely unexplained statement "this one has tension and this one doesn't" the end

For someone who wants validation it seems to work, but if you're like me and agree with the thesis "the hobbit movies are uneven with both great and awful stuff" and are looking for a film critic to actually explore that, it's a huge waste of time imo

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I'm not exactly a deft purveyor of film video essays, but probably the only one hasn't made me gag was josh04's excellent treatise on Suicide Squad, which also economically functions as a critique on the 'film video essay' culture as a whole.

I'm holding out hope for The Ayer Cut on the off chance we get a part 2 to that essay.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
K.waste is fantastic, tho his Devotional series was no longer up last time I checked :(

His podcast series with his pops is good, but not quite on the same level.

A few pages back someone linked Gwendolyn Jae Stone's takedown of the Snyder=fascist meme, I've only watched the first part so far but the thoroughness of it is great!

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm not exactly a deft purveyor of film video essays, but probably the only one hasn't made me gag was josh04's excellent treatise on Suicide Squad, which also economically functions as a critique on the 'film video essay' culture as a whole.

I'm holding out hope for The Ayer Cut on the off chance we get a part 2 to that essay.

Link plz

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Suicide Squad video? Right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvRFplhQ7U

He also did a good video about Man Of Steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zA2tRl7d-s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Was just rousing myself to post it, but thanks as ever for kind words + recommendations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

A few pages back someone linked Gwendolyn Jae Stone's takedown of the Snyder=fascist meme, I've only watched the first part so far but the thoroughness of it is great!

It's because part 2 is still "coming soon" :negative:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There’s obviously a lot of angles you can take, because there’s just so much to unpack.

Like, although they present their opposition between 300 and Captain America as a matter of aesthetics, it’s obvious that they’re actually referring to the basic plot content: archetypal wimp Steve Rogers is allowed into the military and given whatever accomodations to be a better fighter, while Ephialtes is excluded from military service due to having a limited range of motion in one arm. “Body-fascism” is not located in the level of contrast on the abs, but in the behaviour of the shouty mans - which means it is ultimately the body of the military itself which ‘ought to be’ either hard or inviting.

Of course the two films are not that different at all - self-consciously propagandic, homoerotic, historically inaccurate, conducive to leftist appropriation, etc.

But my point is that, here in the ‘DOME’, you often get these long, ranty posts complaining that Snyder fans are being smeared as fascist “just for liking a movie”. And, like, of course people are being smeared as fascist; that’s just the default level of internet discourse. But, at the same time, it is not enough to just ‘like’ a movie. In order to stave off these dumb accusations, you need to be more political.

From what I understand, the body-fascist claim extends beyond 300, which is where it overtly becomes analogous to, not just online rhetoric, but also the real-world labeling of the politically repugnant as fascist. I’m wary when it happens, as it’s often done with no regard for the specific historical context of classical fascism to deleterious effect, like when the oligarchic order of the U.S. sanctimoniously united against Trump, and successfully quelled a left-uprising in the process.

I certainly agree with your assertion that we should be specific in our critique, and that for something to be body-fascist it must be more than bodies in-and-of themselves; just like a society’s military having stringent fitness requirements isn’t sufficient in-and-of-itself, or eugenics. There is the immaculate display of our heroes’ bodies contrasted with their grotesque & monstrous enemies, but then the Spartans are defending themselves from imperialism. For the most part, I’m uncertain how substantially a society can be deemed fascist absented from modern economic systems. Of course, 300 the film is an ahistorical work of our modern economic systems, so I'm open to the possibility.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1384644834682617859?s=19

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

:stare:

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hey I'll have you know that Warner Bros are very committed to racial equity!
Geoff Johns' ex-wife is black!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

For the most part, I’m uncertain how substantially a society can be deemed fascist absented from modern economic systems. Of course, 300 the film is an ahistorical work of our modern economic systems, so I'm open to the possibility.

Right; it goes back to earlier observations that racism as we understand it today did not exist before the slave trade. That, and the observation that "Dilios" is a composite character who mentions things from hundreds of years after Leonidas' death (e.g. the month of August, named after Augustus). Nothing can be concretely pinned down.

This is all accounted for in Snyder's own stance that 300 depicts an alien world, but specifically an exploration of a fantasy world generated by a speculated oral history outside and beyond the written historical record. In other words: what rumors might have been circulating among the Spartans themselves? What nonsense might they have imagined? And what has been imagined about them, in the years subsequent? And, as I've noted here and elsewhere, the difference between fantasy and sci-fi is when we ask questions about how things actually work.

Going to a more concrete example, we can really go in and break down the Mae Fish claim that the zombies in Dawn of the Dead are a product of gay sex (and premarital sex, and abortion).

As context, evangelists like Pat Robertson infamously claimed 9/11 was God's punishment for similar reasons. But what did Robertson actually mean by that? I mean, was he claiming 'Jesus took the wheel' and personally guided the planes into the towers? No, of course not. What Robertson was claiming is that the attack of the World Trade Center was allowed to happen because of a general "permissiveness". What he argues is simply that America needed a different society, modeled around masculine principles of hardcore jingoistic militarism or whatever. When Robertson evokes God, it is to say that the universe itself is structured in such a way that a fascist society is objectively best - the insidious jew will just 'naturally' overrun your nation unless you take 'natural' steps to prevent that (which conveniently include controlling women's bodies and whatnot). This, in his view, could have prevented the attacks.

So, as we've seen with some other people ITT, Mae Fish is actually agreeing with Robertson: viewing Dawn Of The Dead, she concludes that the only possible solution to the "zombie problem" is brutal fascism. She cannot imagine an alternative. Fascism is just objectively correct in this scenario. Of course, she tries to shunt this belief onto the figure of "Snyder", but she nonetheless sees no possible way of critiquing this view. The zombies simply 'are' diseased foreigners, to her, and they simply need to be eliminated. It's an immersion into total ideological fantasy - but pure ideology remains impossible. She could have done better.

lol ooof

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad Ray Fisher is a good actor but it sucks I gotta hope he has a career

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mortal Kombat CineD Discord stream tomorrow night at 9PM central btw. I will host a scener room as well.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm so ready for MK to punch me in the balls and rip out my spine.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
one of my friends worked on the new MK movie

he saw it and told me its the worst movie he's ever seen and is embarrassed his name is in the credits

should be a fun time!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BB2K posted:

he saw it and told me its the worst movie he's ever seen and is embarrassed his name is in the credits

should be a fun time!

The best endorsement tbh.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

BB2K posted:

should be a fun time!

nah.

I have seen it and it’s perfectly acceptable movie, nevermind the best videogame movie ever.

It lacks open fractures tho.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe the friend actually worked on MK: Annihilation and then fell in to a time warp

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

Maybe the friend actually worked on MK: Annihilation and then fell in to a time warp

Or they worked on a bunch of Shawshank Redemptions before they worked on MK.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Grendels Dad posted:

Or they worked on a bunch of Shawshank Redemptions before they worked on MK.

Or this is their first movie and they just have a dumb name.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Maybe they only worked on the earth scenes, because they are indeed the worst. Everything else is GoaT status. Honestly it was too short, missed out on some of the characters fighting.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
First half of MK is weak, back half is so much fun.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The movie related pun I'm flogging is Thor 2 with actual heart.

There's a literal point in the movie where it stops and yells you what kind of movie it's going to be, and it's beautiful and everything video game movies can and should be.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 23, 2021

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Shanty posted:

Or this is their first movie and they just have a dumb name.

quite the opposite, his last name is literally 'Smart'

find him in the credits!

I'll have to check it out for myself, just found it a funny lil anecdote.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I have a feeling that making a biggish movie is often a little like that parable of the three blind men trying to describe an elephant.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BB2K posted:

quite the opposite, his last name is literally 'Smart'

find him in the credits!

I'll have to check it out for myself, just found it a funny lil anecdote.

Derek?!!?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I thought we were getting full frame
MK. I feel lied to.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

bushisms.txt posted:

The movie related pun I'm flogging is Thor 2 with actual heart.

There's a literal point in the movie where it stops and yells you what kind of movie it's going to be, and it's beautiful and everything video game movies can and should be.

So how does it compare to the current gold standard of video game adaptations, Super Mario Bros.?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Don't say his name 3 times!!!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Agent Rush posted:

So how does it compare to the current gold standard of video game adaptations, Super Mario Bros.?

It's the new standard. Like the earth stuff and corporate mandated OC are less palatable and worse than Super Mario Bros in every meaning of that phrase. But the other half of the movie that's just concerned with being rad loving rules. There's a couple really iconic moments and lines in this movie.

My main concern was did I feel similar to as when I was a kid, and the answer is no I felt better because you can see the love of the franchise as a whole. Slight spoilers but another fight "subtlly" rolls through the multiple lore based versions of a certain character up to deadly alliance. And that wasn't called out or remarked on, it was a beautiful thing that only mains and diehards of that character would understand and it works in the movie without feeling shoehorned. I made a drinking game for anyone that wants to really enjoy their time.

Spoilers for those who don't want to know even the basics

If they had actually gone full on ham and cheese, we'd be talking untouchable goat status, but sonic 2 is gonna have unleashed Jim Carrey as punished robotnik.

I don't have any of the recent games, but would probably get one if they did skins with the actors for VA. Legit some of the best designs in the franchise. The one you know would get typical nerds mad is the best too.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 24, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Snyder Cut is finally on Google Play, at least for me in Malaysia.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/dwayne-johnson-reportedly-told-team-henry-cavill-snyderverse/amp/

Don’t know what kind of bs this is but supposedly Rock wants Snyderverse for his Black Adam movie and wants Henry Cavill.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Definitely don't trust that site about anything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Would be neat, though. However they'd have to shoot in IMAX to capture the amount of manflesh in each frame those two are in. Regular aspect ratios wouldn't be sufficient!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So Black Adam is a movie about the Shazam villain, but it isn't Shazam 2? There's a whole separate Shazam 2 movie? Wtf

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

So Black Adam is a movie about the Shazam villain, but it isn't Shazam 2? There's a whole separate Shazam 2 movie? Wtf

Black Adam became an antihero in the DCU. Think of it like Venom. He’s got his own substance/lore to stand alone and I’m not sure how it would work with the tone set in Shazam to have a boy fight a Middle East dictator who is also an ancient super power. Even Black Adam in the books is often pulled into cosmic level events and not necessarily to play off of Billy. He’s also basically Namor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Never trust wegotthiscovered. It's a garbage website that peddles clickbait as news