Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

We ain't seen any of that. There was that one youtube channel from the ZSJL launch that he dropped out of appearing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why do so many people base their opinions on things based off of the feelings of crazy people on the internet

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There's absolutely no way Snyder has a bigger contingent of reactionary right wing fans than stuff like Star Wars, the MCU, Nolan, etc. It's blatantly silly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Most of his fanbase seem to be global and don't subscribe to fascism. Its as diverse as any other. It comes off as obnoxious, and it can, because the most prevailing narrative around these days is that either Zack Snyder is a Randian cryptofascist or a really dumb person who doesn't understand anything. So folks just push back against that sort of thing. The whole toxic crap came after the Justice League cut got announced where we were supposed to feel bad for executives for being mobbed by whiny babies or whatever the heck.

It just comes down to either giving the people who made Pepe the pig their mascot or the filmmaker more credit. Just so you know the former are hyper contrarian losers who got on board with Alita Battle Angel because it was the "rival" film to Captain Marvel at the time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It shouldn't be a surprise when the man who made a name for himself with 300 has a big fash fanbase. He's done some work to distance himself from it over the years but they're definitely how he got here and they're not all leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-S0KwtzYo

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 17, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Seriously, if you think that interview is trying to redeem Whedon, you haven't read it:

quote:

Snyder had given the actors exceptional license with the script, encouraging them to ad-lib dialogue. Whedon expected them to say their lines exactly as he’d written them. “That didn’t go down well at all,” one crew member told me. Some actors criticized his writing. By Whedon’s account, Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman, suggested that he, the director of the highest-grossing superhero movie at the time, didn’t understand how superhero movies worked. At one point, Whedon paused the shoot and, according to the crew member, announced that he had never worked with “a ruder group of people.” The actors fell silent.

The actors, at least some of them, felt Whedon had been rude, too. Ray Fisher, a young Black actor, played Cyborg; it was his first major role. Snyder had centered the film on his character — the first Black superhero in a DC movie — and he’d treated Fisher as a writing partner, soliciting his opinions on the film’s representations of Black people. Whedon downsized Cyborg’s role, cutting scenes that, in Fisher’s view, challenged stereotypes.​​ When Fisher raised his concerns about the revisions in a phone call, Whedon cut him off. “It feels like I’m taking notes right now,” Whedon told him, according to The Hollywood Reporter, “and I don’t like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.”

Gadot didn’t care for Whedon’s style either. Last year, she told reporters Whedon “threatened” her and said he would make her “career miserable.” Whedon told me he did no such thing: “I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” He concluded she had misunderstood him. “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.” He recalled arguing over a scene she wanted to cut. He told her jokingly that if she wanted to get rid of it, she would have to tie him to a railroad track and do it over his dead body. “Then I was told that I had said something about her dead body and tying her to the railroad track,” he said. (Gadot did not agree with Whedon’s version of events. “I understood perfectly,” she told New York in an email.)

As for Whedon’s claim that he doesn’t threaten people, an actress on Angel told me that hadn’t been true back when she knew him. After her agent pushed for her to get a raise, she claims Whedon called her at home and said she was “never going to work for him, or 20th Century Fox, again.” Reading Gadot’s quote, she thought, “Wow, he’s still using that line.” (Whedon denied this too.)

What a piece of poo poo!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The United States posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise when the man who made a name for himself with 300 has a big fash fanbase. He's done some work to distance himself from it over the years but they're definitely how he got here and they're not all leaving.

He made a name for himself with the Dawn of the Dead remake, which is decidedly not popular with those people

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://youtu.be/eHv0RUFQMP0

These are the people the Snyder's, Fisher and the cast respond to. Trying to label them as fascists or somehow less than the others is doing work for actual fascists wrongfully claiming poo poo as their own. We really gonna say the movie that presents the spartans as bad guys from the beginning is the issue when these folks will cling to anything, hell some will post MLK quotes today. The only take away should be they're dumb and don't represent anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LesterGroans posted:

There's absolutely no way Snyder has a bigger contingent of reactionary right wing fans than stuff like Star Wars, the MCU, Nolan, etc. It's blatantly silly.

In all honesty it's probably exactly equivalent

They ALWAYS miss the point

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gresh posted:

All the reactionary right wing youtubers who hate star wars now because its "woke" are all big Snyder pushers...rightly or wrongly they see him as one of their champions of sorts. I think thats in part why his aggressively obnoxious fanbase has such a toxic reputation because a lot of them watch those channels.
Anything those guys say is pure reflexive culture war posturing. Marvel movies are cringe and soy, so we like DC! Who's the DC guy? OK we like him. There's no thought to it, it's like a chameleon changing colour to match its surroundings. You'll never see any of those chumps apply themselves to analysing the supposed right-wing themes of a Zack Snyder movie. The only people you'll ever see doing that are, weirdly, liberals

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Burkion posted:

He made a name for himself with the Dawn of the Dead remake, which is decidedly not popular with those people
Remind me how popular the Dawn of the Dead remake was versus 300.

LesterGroans posted:

No poo poo, because he doesn't have a fanbase anywhere near the size of Star Wars or the MCU or Nolan.

Pirate Jet posted:

Why do so many people base their opinions on things based off of the feelings of crazy people on the internet
A huge component of the article in question is Joss Whedon talking about the feelings of crazy people on the internet, and how they hurt his feelings.

Crazy people on the internet hounded Joss Whedon off of the internet, so they can do some good.

bushisms.txt posted:

We really gonna say the movie that presents the spartans as bad guys from the beginning is the issue

2house2fly posted:

You'll never see any of those chumps apply themselves to analysing the supposed right-wing themes of a Zack Snyder movie.
Because the only one they've seen and love is 300 back in the day and they didn't have to do any of their own analysis, the entire cultural conservative right wing apparatus did it for them and told them it was great to see an honest to god film outta liberal hollywood that loved the second amendment and our boys fighting for freedom in Iraq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uLO8eqsZs

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Seriously, if you think that interview is trying to redeem Whedon, you haven't read it:

What a piece of poo poo!
The article does the usual "dunk on Snyder to defend Whedon" bits we've all seen for years (and it's why we're discussing it) but yeah just letting Whedon run his mouth off confirms everything bad the Justice League and Buffy actors have ever said about him and more:

https://twitter.com/Zeus_TheAlpha/status/1483108403266584578
https://twitter.com/TheSugarVenom/status/1483140613126057985

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 17, 2022

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Linking a bad read doesn't mean anything. It's also incredibly bad faith to try to pin anything on 300, like Nancy Reagan bad.

And again, for any film literate person, the movie proclaims the spartans as bad in the opening monologue. Agreeing with infanticide is beyond being a snyder fan.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

No poo poo, because he doesn't have a fanbase anywhere near the size of Star Wars or the MCU or Nolan.

I obviously meant as a percentage of their fanbase

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bushisms.txt posted:

Linking a bad read doesn't mean anything. It's also incredibly bad faith to try to pin anything on 300, like Nancy Reagan bad.

And again, for any film literate person, the movie proclaims the spartans as bad in the opening monologue. Agreeing with infanticide is beyond being a snyder fan.
Bad reads are all the right wing propaganda apparatus has. And yet, bad reads were all that existed. It's not like Snyder or Miller or anyone else involved ever said any differently at the height of the Iraq war.

"It's me kids, your pal, Neo-Marxism!"

https://twitter.com/selgowiros/status/1300477065049837568
https://twitter.com/selgowiros/status/1300496896973303808

LesterGroans posted:

I obviously meant as a percentage of their fanbase
Oh definitely higher as a percentage, much smaller as an absolute

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 17, 2022

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bad reads are all the right wing propaganda apparatus has. And yet, bad reads were all that existed. It's not like Snyder or Miller or anyone else involved ever said any differently at the height of the Iraq war.

"It's me kids, your pal, Neo-Marxism!"

Why are you even giving air to them? They only can claim it because the "left" went so hard at snyder, that's the irony. The article you are highlighting is from 2020, that's post almost a decade of the "left" calling snyder a fascist with no backing. So then you have dumbdumbs doing the bare minimum and reacting to that and claiming him. All you have to do is look at how snyder handled actual fascist losers to their faces.

https://youtu.be/s3FWuPGbr9I

They're anti intellectual by choice, agreeing with their read or allowing them to claim something puts you in the same boat.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lol at the dumb rear end poo poo right wingers say about 300. Yeah the Spartans loved freedom bro!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm fondly remembering that time Cease to Hope cited Stormfront to defend his crazy read of Man of Steel.

Nothing but good times in the Snyder thread.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

300 definitely was a product of its time, but interviews with Snyder from around the release make it pretty clear that it wasn't indented to be some sort of pro-Iraq "this is what I actually believe" allegory, even if it may have been pretty tone-deaf.

But also, the movie was made 15 years ago and even if Snyder did have a lot of those attitudes back then, he's definitely softened or at least has more of an ability to read the room and know how certain kinds of movies are going to play (such as shelving his Fountainhead movie / therapy session).

Zack Snyder posted:

I’d say “300” is a movie that is made from the Spartan perspective. Not just from the Spartan perspective, the cameras are the Spartans, but it’s the Spartans sensibility of the Battle of Thermopylae. If you had Spartans sitting around a fire and they were telling you before anything was written down what happened at Thermopylae, this is the way they would tell it. It’s not necessarily down to the fact that they don’t have armor on. Everything about it is just to make the Spartans more overwhelming.

Zack Snyder posted:

The Canadian actor and sometime activist Sarah Polley, who worked with Snyder on his remake of Dawn of the Dead, suggested I ask him about his politics. “Just for the freak show that it is," she chuckled. “You’ll be like, ‘People like him actually exist?’” She claimed he once brought a blown-up photograph of an American soldier with his boot on Saddam Hussein’s neck to the Dawn set, with his own face plastered over the Marine's. “It wasn't a joke. He’s like, ‘Is that cool?’ That's f****** psychotic.”

“She’s a piece of work,” Snyder says later, grimacing. “I could kill her. I love her, though. You know I do.” After a day of interviews, the fast-talking 41 year old is well aware of what people have been saying. “It’s kind of fun for me,” he says unexpectedly. “I’m a genre filmmaker so for someone to call me a 'fascist filmmaker' is like the best compliment in some ways.” He checks himself. Compliment is the wrong word. What he actually meant was, "it’s pretty awesome” people are taking the film so seriously.

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

On the other hand, Snyder says he had expected a more sophisticated response from the media in Berlin and was surprised by how many people were unable to transcend the “simple knee-jerk politics of the movie”. In the same way that Dawn of the Dead was a “movie that loves that it’s a zombie movie”, 300 is “a genre movie that knows it’s a graphic novel", he says. "It’s very particular. It’s on the edge of being camp. It rides the line.” Asking what it really means, he argues, is to miss the point. “It is a movie for people that love movies. It’s a movie on steroids.”

As for his personal politics, he believes a director’s job is to “get out of the way of the movie as much as you can”, especially when it is an adaptation like 300. But for the record, he did not vote for George Bush. Nor, he says, recalling a question by a journalist earlier in the day, was the film funded with the Iraq war in mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

300 is excellent at telling you who does and who does not know anything at all about ancient Greece

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bushisms.txt posted:

Why are you even giving air to them? They only can claim it because the "left" went so hard at snyder, that's the irony. The article you are highlighting is from 2020, that's post almost a decade of the "left" calling snyder a fascist with no backing. So then you have dumbdumbs doing the bare minimum and reacting to that and claiming him. All you have to do is look at how snyder handled actual fascist losers to their faces.

https://youtu.be/s3FWuPGbr9I

They're anti intellectual by choice, agreeing with their read or allowing them to claim something puts you in the same boat.

2house2fly posted:

Lol at the dumb rear end poo poo right wingers say about 300. Yeah the Spartans loved freedom bro!
It's almost like propaganda is dumb and anti-intellectual and ahistorical... but as long as it's visually effective it works. And we've seen it working overdrive for over 20 years.

You beg for an answer to this very question and then when it comes you plug your ears and ask "why are you even giving air to them?"

And yet the answer remains, staring you right in the face.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There's a slight temporal disconnect in saying that the alt-right made Snyder big via 300.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man those quotes from Whedon are the words of a man who has been backed fully into a corner, knows it, and will say any drat thing to try to get out of it.

Except sorry, obviously.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Whedon confirms himself as an idiot in that piece.

Even ignoring his dogshit denails, how could he not understand Cyborgs story? A guy suffers loss, has a strained relationship with his dad and over the course of the movie learns to accept his changed circumstances and move forward.

"I'm not broken"

Its literally a story for children but I guess there weren't enough quips for it to make sense for Joss.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Please stop treating YouTube and Twitter like they are reflective of real life.

Also, the Watchowskis must be violent misogynists, after all, lots of awful people on the internet have very interesting ideas about what taking the red pill means. Creators are responsible for people misunderstanding and misappropriating their work, right?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Gresh posted:

All the reactionary right wing youtubers who hate star wars now because its "woke" are all big Snyder pushers...rightly or wrongly they see him as one of their champions of sorts. I think thats in part why his aggressively obnoxious fanbase has such a toxic reputation because a lot of them watch those channels.

It's almost like propaganda is dumb and anti-intellectual and ahistorical... but as long as it's visually effective it works. And we've seen it working overdrive for over 20 years.

You beg for an answer to this very question and then when it comes you plug your ears and ask "why are you even giving air to them?"

And yet the answer remains, staring you right in the face.

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to y'all, but Youtube and Twitter hot-takes are not representative of reality, never-mind your particular experience of them. Rather than make an appeal as such - what do you actually think about Snyder's most controversial film, 300?

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 18, 2022

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gresh posted:

They also champion Alita, a film about a brown woman fighting Capitalism. Culture war poo poo is dumb.

300 is explicitly and unsubtly a film about propaganda narrated by an in-universe propagandist. It is not a subtle film at all yet people who are otherwise not dumb have been posting dumb takes on it for 15 years

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Please stop treating YouTube and Twitter like they are reflective of real life.

This is good advice.

Snowman_McK posted:

They also champion Alita, a film about a brown woman fighting Capitalism. Culture war poo poo is dumb.

One of the biggest self-owns.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Its less to with Iraq war politics and more to do with cultural fears/anxiety. 300 is movie about a handful of brave chiseled white guys going against the cowardice liberal elite council to prevent the Muslim hordes from taking over Europe.

i wonder why right wingers love that movie and made so many Trump memes out of it in 2016.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gresh posted:

Its less to with Iraq war politics and more to do with cultural fears/anxiety. 300 is movie about a handful of brave chiseled white guys going against the cowardice liberal elite council to prevent the Muslim hordes from taking over Europe.

i wonder why right wingers love that movie and made so many Trump memes out of it in 2016.

Or it's about a bunch of fanatics fighting a giant, diverse, much more advanced empire that we only ever see the charicatures of. Yet Americans identified with the underdog. It's almost like it's making a statement about propaganda.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gresh posted:

Because right wingers are bad at/don't understand meme culture and are giant loving idiots?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used to work with a few Iranian-Americans, years ago. They had a lot to say about 300. It wasn't positive.

Personally, I think it and Man of Steel are his best movies (and dislike the rest, tbh), and get what it's going for, but I also understand that maybe it's not awesome to see yourself represented as a man-monster with sword-arms or a faceless nightmare that exists only to oppress, even if it's only a satire

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Made a tweet with relevant content from the CineD discord. Enjoy:

https://twitter.com/timgonzales/status/1483235249421111296

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Welcome to the "United States make a post without a billion tweets and youtube videos linked in it" challenge

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roth posted:

Welcome to the "United States make a post without a billion tweets and youtube videos linked in it" challenge

I nominate my last post, in our time of need

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My one wish and hope right now is that the cast of ZSJL come out to collectively poo poo all over Whedon on whatever platform they choose.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Gresh posted:

By glomming onto the movie that way, they expose themselves as idiots to anyone who's paying attention. It's like praising Starship Troopers as a movie about our brave troops fighting communists. Imagine what it's like inside the brain of a guy who says "liberals are baby killers" while wearing a plastic Spartan helmet. I shudder to think of it

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think Snyder is a wonderful human being, makes terrific movies, and deserves better from popular culture and Hollywood. But even I think this thread gets too defensive some times. “Even discussing a topic means you agree with it”? Woof.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

I used to work with a few Iranian-Americans, years ago. They had a lot to say about 300. It wasn't positive.

Personally, I think it and Man of Steel are his best movies (and dislike the rest, tbh), and get what it's going for, but I also understand that maybe it's not awesome to see yourself represented as a man-monster with sword-arms or a faceless nightmare that exists only to oppress, even if it's only a satire

I pretty much agree (except about the rest of the films, which are good). I'm definitely not going to tell someone from Iran that they have to like the film or recognise the satirical elements. I think it's fair to point out here on the movie message board that the dubious depiction of middle eastern peoples is a plague across all Hollywood in the 90s and 2000s (and all other decades) that's not specific to Snyder's work. I'd be interested in whether opinions have shifted over time with respect to 300's outlandish imagery versus the gritty 'realistic' military action flicks that were popular at the time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

apropos of nothing, Frankie Boyle's got a great bit about American war movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZwuTI-V8SI&t=31s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Violator posted:

I think Snyder is a wonderful human being, makes terrific movies, and deserves better from popular culture and Hollywood. But even I think this thread gets too defensive some times. “Even discussing a topic means you agree with it”? Woof.

I think it's more so that we're all just tired of The Discourse™ and whatnot. poo poo can be exhausting.