Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

So, uh, how reliable is this person?

https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1264354567678033921?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Randolph? Not at all. She’s famous for poo poo-stirring and her leaks are almost always false. Check out her “leaked spoilers” for Birds of Prey.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

teagone posted:

"Dozens" lmao. Ahh, that's great.

The quotation marks are what gets me.

Who are they quoting?

edit:

Also, it's a front page story of a huge disaster that is only about the thing that's relevant to your city. Easily one of the worst casualties of the theatrical cut was all the other gags like from the football game and police station about Gotham City just being an abattoir of city pride chuds.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 24, 2020

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't imagine a JL2 any time soon but I can see WB considering Man of Steel II. Of course Snyder would have to want to do it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It'd be worth it just to see twitter meltdown.

Biggest pandemic in modern history? Parts of the world on fire? Crimes against humanity happening against Palestinians? Democratic party destroying electorialism to prop up a senile, racist rapist against a senile, racist rapist? Nah. But Zack Snyder getting to direct another Superman film? This truly is the worst timeline and the worst thing to happen in 2020.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If MoS2 happens, it'll likely come out in 2022, a solid decade after the first. That would be so weird.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If MoS2 happens, it'll likely come out in 2022, a solid decade after the first. That would be so weird.

Imagine the beard Cavill could have grown in that time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dreqqus posted:

I think the WB execs ultimately got what they wanted out of the Whedon cut. Being out of touch and all, they didn't realize that DCEU fans didn't want a bad Marvel movie, that general movie goers don't want bad movies, and that a lot of them were already turned off by the first two movies and course correcting at number 3 is probably too late.

If you're pulling down a tidy profit, which as I understand it, MoS and BvS did, just release the movie in a state that people who liked the first two would enjoy. I'll never really understand how they managed to craft a movie that appeals to precisely no one.

Way too many people at the top actually do give a poo poo about comment and tweets on social media. Both from fans but also reviewers. They want to be praised everywhere constantly at all times like the marvel movies are.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i hope this does well enough to get them to make a Man of Steel 2 just because Henry Cavill is a very handsome man who looks great in the role

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

All these big nerd franchises get a lot of negative feedback. Ghostbusters ‘16, new Star Trek, Disney Star Wars , DC.

The only aberration is the MCU.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sponges posted:

All these big nerd franchises get a lot of negative feedback. Ghostbusters ‘16, new Star Trek, Disney Star Wars , DC.

The only aberration is the MCU.

part of it is that all of those things you mention are reboots or sequels or whatever to culturally beloved movies that people already went in having expectations of what they're 'supposed' to be (not that that means they're all equally as misunderstood as snyder's DC films, disney star wars deserves all of the negative feedback it gets and then some)

it really ended up being a boon to the MCU that only comic book readers cared about iron man or captain america or so on prior to the movies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember during one argument here i went through the battle of new york scene by scene and, even in scenes with massive explosions, not a single bystander dies.

On the flipside, my favorite two things in Avengers are that the heroes deliberately blow up dozens of buildings, onscreen, and the sequels confirm hundreds of civilian deaths by friendly fire.

(One of Iron Man’s favorite tactics is to smash his explosive enemies into the nearest building.)

It’s not that Avengers doesn’t show anyone dying; very few people are actually shown at the exact moment of death in Man Of Steel either. What it shows are just generically spectacular gasoline-fireball-explosions that we cut away from, with no toppling buildings or clouds of dust. Although both films obviously use digital effects, Avengers’ explosions evoke a videogame without destructible environments, where you can fire a rocket launcher at a house and nothing will happen.

This is partly why, although the imagery is of Clark embracing Lois in an empty crater, some people freak out like “that dust is made out of humans!!!” Of course, what they actually mean is that Man Of Steel’s humans are made of dust: they have a material existence and are not just spectral entities.

Also, when Iron Man blows up a building full of civilians, he is always presented as in control. He blows up the buildings deliberately, and with absolute confidence. If he feels good about it, it must have been a good thing to do. His (lack of) a reaction tells the audience that it’s okay to enjoy this. Cut from an explosion to a relieved expression. It’s the Kuleshov effect.

There’s a scene where where the alien mummies are about to toss a grenade into a crowd of people for no reason (why are they malicious?). Steve Rogers jumps in and blows them up with their own alien grenade, getting launched out a window in the process. Hooray, he won! But the alien grenade, with unknown explosive force, just detonated metres away from the crowd. So here’s a big point: Man Of Steel’s city isn’t attacked by a swarm of drone-people, so Superman doesn’t get any ‘kills’ to ‘even the score’.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 24, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Across two movies, Snyder's Superman basically killed one guy twice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Man of Steel and BvS also have the Metropolis fight's aftermath explicitly styled after 9/11, and natural disasters. You do see people very obviously getting crushed to death barely offscreen by the gravity generator, too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wonder how many Cavill mustache shots are going to be in this cut.

Also I guess people are protesting this because culture wars?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

teagone posted:

If I had a chance to kiss Henry Cavill Superman after he saved me from an imploding black hole, I'd probably do it no matter the scenario/circumstance.

[edit]

"Dozens" lmao. Ahh, that's great.

Lol I never noticed that!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

nobody is "protesting" it, some people are just annoyed because they thought the Bad Man who is bad for imaginary reasons gets to do something they said would never happen

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder how many Cavill mustache shots are going to be in this cut.

They're annoyed that this grassroots movement that actually did do good things was able to get the attention of execs because in their minds its just a community of toxic people or whatever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuW21muWKeg

Haven't watched yet, but I'm assuming there's some goodies in this discussion :allears:

I also saw a clip of Ray Fisher getting super emotional when he was thanking the fans and the Snyders the day of the announcement and it was just so much :unsmith: Can't wait to his arc in the film (or series!) fully realized.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still think about the logical loops for feeling that way. This was a response from a twitter thread I posted several pages ago:

https://twitter.com/Fkeefeiv/status/1263472849945333760

This response to me pointing out generalizations are bad is so bafflingly bad. I used the whole "Bernie Bro" narrative and how it was used as a sledgehammer against an entire grassroot movement to discredit it as angry white dudes who were exactly like Trump supporters. The people who did this did not care one bit about online harassment or toxic fandoms in the same way that these people don't care about #MeToo once it became inconvenient. It's extremely infuriating that these liberal dipshits do this.

Those political movements are far more important than the Snyder cut stuff but the tactics at discrediting them are exactly the same. And what's worse is that sometimes you see these people complaining about the establishment doing this poo poo to Bernie supporters just turn around and do it to bad man me no like fans for the audacity to having different opinions/tastes than them when it comes to a punchyman film whose main competition is from an all-consuming engine putting out production-line, albeit fairly entertaining while watching, mediocrity.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 24, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what the longest gap is between a film and a direct sequel. Return to Oz was 46 years after Wizard '39.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The whole "write a think piece declaring a fandom as toxic because a neoliberal white woman can't handle twitter" has always felt like a tactic to make LGBT and POC ashamed to like what they like.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Roth posted:

The whole "write a think piece declaring a fandom as toxic because a neoliberal white woman can't handle twitter" has always felt like a tactic to make LGBT and POC ashamed to like what they like.

That's pretty much what LGBTQ+ and PoC Snyder fans say every time some dumb hot take lands on the net. It's usually handwaved away because folks in that community only matter when it's advantageous to have their (political) support.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I wonder what the longest gap is between a film and a direct sequel. Return to Oz was 46 years after Wizard '39.

I dunno if that counts since it's different studios and no returning actors, as well as it being public domain and there being other adaptations in between.

I remember The Odd Couple 1 and 2 had the longest gap for a while but I'm sure something has overtaken it by now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Does Twin Peaks: The Return count?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Best Man (1999) to The Best Man Holiday (2013)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuW21muWKeg

Haven't watched yet, but I'm assuming there's some goodies in this discussion :allears:

I also saw a clip of Ray Fisher getting super emotional when he was thanking the fans and the Snyders the day of the announcement and it was just so much :unsmith: Can't wait to his arc in the film (or series!) fully realized.
I don’t think any new is disclosed in here. It’s mainly Ray talking about his experience working with Snyder, the crew, and the cast and how he thinks of them as family (especially the Snyders). Zack comes in for about 10 minutes and they talk about the excitement around the project. Basically it just reaffirms my belief that Ray is a super nice guy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don’t think any new is disclosed in here. It’s mainly Ray talking about his experience working with Snyder, the crew, and the cast and how he thinks of them as family (especially the Snyders). Zack comes in for about 10 minutes and they talk about the excitement around the project. Basically it just reaffirms my belief that Ray is a super nice guy.

Ahh. I'm about 20 minutes in, and Ray Fisher is just dropping truth bombs about fandoms and whatnot.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Ahh. I'm about 20 minutes in, and Ray Fisher is just dropping truth bombs about fandoms and whatnot.
He really seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
There was 15.5 years between Bad Boys 2 & 3 although technically only Smith and Lawrence came back, Bay only had a small involvement.

About 35 years between Blade Runner and 2049, Ford was back but Scott wasn't really. Though that one was probably held up by the confusing rights situation.

20 years between Independence Days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

28 years between Tron and Tron Legacy

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno if that counts since it's different studios and no returning actors, as well as it being public domain and there being other adaptations in between.

I remember The Odd Couple 1 and 2 had the longest gap for a while but I'm sure something has overtaken it by now.

How about Top Gun (1986) and Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Top Gun Maverick will probably slide to 2021 at this point.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Please don’t take this from me. I have nothing left.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
As far as retaining much of the original team, Trainspotting and its sequel has a 21 year gap.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 24, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How about Wall Street and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps: 23 years.

e: the new Bill & Ted has to be up there.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 24, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was some movie with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn in the 90s that was gonna be a sequel to The Graduate but then Anne Bancroft died so they rewrote it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Mad Max and Fury Road

Birds and Birds II

This Night I will possess your Corpse and Embodiment of Evil

Mary Poppins and Mary Poppins Returns

Fantasia and Fantasia II: 59 years

Bambi and Bambi II: 63 years

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006