Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Snowman_McK posted:

The super interesting one was the reviews for Civil War and BvS. Tons of them said virtually identical things: it's a bit too bloated, a few too many characters. Except that the Civil War reviews were positive and BvS ones were negative, despite the text of the reviews being almost copy pasted.

I can not speak for the reviewers here but CW is entertaining, BvS is not. And if you're bloated and entertaining, then at least you're entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BigglesSWE posted:

I can not speak for the reviewers here but CW is entertaining, BvS is not. And if you're bloated and entertaining, then at least you're entertaining.

Describe 3 scenes you remember from Civil War.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The airport battle, as much fun as can be made of the cinematography, is entertaining. The finale and battle between Cap, Bucky and Stark. I like Zemo and his plan in the film, and the scene with him and Black Panther at the end.

Hm, the stairway fight was kinda neat.

Not that being memorable (or not) makes it automatically good (or bad) so I don't get the point.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Oh god quote is not edit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Airport battle, Cap holding onto the helicopter (which loving rules) and funeral of cap’s old fling.

But as been stated, having memories of a movie does not make a statement of its quality.

I can ramble up several scenes from American Sniper, one of the most heinous movies in recent memory. I can also retell several scenes from BvS, a movie that bored me to tears.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a really dumb attempt at a gotcha I gotta say. I can remember and describe 3 scenes from literally any movie I've ever seen. Up to and including Gilligan's Island vs the Atomic Super Robots or the Sandy Frank localization of that Japanese planet of the apes time travel movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Time of the Apes is good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's a really dumb attempt at a gotcha I gotta say. I can remember and describe 3 scenes from literally any movie I've ever seen. Up to and including Gilligan's Island vs the Atomic Super Robots or the Sandy Frank localization of that Japanese planet of the apes time travel movie.

Right: any movie can be “the one where a guy grabs a helicopter.” That’s just the plot. That’s the joke of Friends’ episode naming convention.

Not coincidentally, two of those three things are from the endlessly-repeated trailers. It’s be almost impossible not to remember that the characters run towards eachother on a tarmac, after that sustained marketing bombardment.

However: when people say “it’s unmemorable”, they don’t mean that a thing is physically incapable of being remembered. They mean that it’s not really notable, or worthy of being remembered.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It should be noted that Rotten Tomatoes does not decide whether any given review is considered fresh or rotten. They ask the critic and the critic tells them whether they think that their review leans positive or negative.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Karloff posted:

It should be noted that Rotten Tomatoes does not decide whether any given review is considered fresh or rotten. They ask the critic and the critic tells them whether they think that their review leans positive or negative.
https://twitter.com/NicholasLBarber/status/1169527308379725824
This tweet thread screencapped last page shows a critic who seems to have not had that experience, but it's kinda unclear.

EDIT: https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/31/16107948/rotten-tomatoes-score-get-their-ratings-top-critics-certified-fresh-aggregate-mean

quote:

Some critics (or staffers at their publications) upload their own reviews, choose their own pull quotes, and designate their review as “fresh” or “rotten.” Other critics (including myself) have their reviews uploaded, pull-quoted, and tagged as fresh or rotten by the Rotten Tomatoes staff. In the second case, if the staff isn't sure whether to tag a review as fresh or rotten, they reach out to the critic for clarification. And critics who don't agree with the site’s designation can request that it be changed.
No idea how often these kinds of situations arise, or how likely it would be that a critic would bother to look into that and request it be changed.

Martman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 4, 2020

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shocking (lol not really) lack of adjectives in those descriptions of Marvel scenes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right: any movie can be “the one where a guy grabs a helicopter.”

I guess I should have finished watching Gladiator.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Right: any movie can be “the one where a guy grabs a helicopter.” That’s just the plot. That’s the joke of Friends’ episode naming convention.

Not coincidentally, two of those three things are from the endlessly-repeated trailers. It’s be almost impossible not to remember that the characters run towards eachother on a tarmac, after that sustained marketing bombardment.

However: when people say “it’s unmemorable”, they don’t mean that a thing is physically incapable of being remembered. They mean that it’s not really notable, or worthy of being remembered.

Personally, I love movies. I find something to love in every movie I watch, even the bad ones. Everything has something that sticks with me, that I can think about and smile years later. And it doesn't even have to be some weirdo cult moment in a bad movie. Like going to my Gilligan's Island reference, I love the referee in that movie, who at some level knows if the robots win the bad guy industrialists may take over the world, but still keeps shouting "FOUL ON YOU" and kicking out Globetrotters for things that maybe usually wouldn't even get called, cause he takes his job seriously.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

dublish posted:

Shocking (lol not really) lack of adjectives in those descriptions of Marvel scenes.

We count adjectives to determine quality now? Okay.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

We count adjectives to determine quality now? Okay.

I find they generally help when describing something, yeah. SMG was on the money with the Friends episodes thing.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

ElNarez posted:

I think it goes beyond movies, and beyond Disney. It's a wider tendency in art and culture to try and call out or expunge anything that could be seen by anyone as harmful, irrespective of its context, who made it and why they made it, and other murkier questions. Most of it is useless moral panic that one should feel pretty safe laughing at, but more censorious elements use that to go after the most vulnerable artists doing weird and alienating work about their weird and alienating feelings.

In this, Disney is just one beneficiary among many, because they have an endless trove of cash to throw at focus-tested and sanitized as all hell projects they can market into oblivion if they feel it's a hit, while the censorious sorts gain social capital from taking scalps, or looking like they are taking scalps, in the particular example of Zack Snyder, a wealthy white man who's always played nice within the studio system. Even the actual predators gain from this, as they can claim that their grooming, and any work they do which carries legitimate harm in the name of their self-gratification, are in the vanguard pushing the boundaries of taste.

The only way I see out of this is to put specificity above all else. To talk about things as they are, and how you feel about them, in the plainest terms you have, without posturing or pretension. Let's talk about these goddamn movies and see what happens.

I think you are getting to the crux of it, which can’t be properly understood without considering what Fredric Jameson deemed our national tradition: “That mixture of political liberalism, empiricism, and logical positivism which we know as Anglo-American philosophy”.

Cancel culture has taken on the responsibility, as you’ve noted, to purge ‘problematic’ content, and its reach has expanded beyond the devious creators to encompass the consumers of the product themselves. Of course, the link here is the hyper-focus on the realm of the individual in a marketplace.

So why is so much emphasis placed on this? The cynical take is commonly derided as “Virtue signaling”, where individuals disingenuously engage in liberal multicultural tactics in order to avoid addressing systemic problems. But I don’t think it’s necessary to imagine the narcissistic intentions hidden in people’s souls, as it’s my contention that the situation is the reverse: it’s because systemic problems are collectively avoided, that individuals excessively engage in liberal multicultural tactics. The difference here is ideological.

Because of that, it is worthless to try to display their hypocrisy to them, to point out that toxic fandoms exist far more in other circles, as it will only strengthen their resolve. You are right that our only recourse, at this point, is a return to the focus on the work itself.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 4, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KVeezy3 posted:

I think you are getting to the crux of it, which can’t be properly understood without considering what Fredric Jameson deemed our national tradition: “That mixture of political liberalism, empiricism, and logical positivism which we know as Anglo-American philosophy”.

Cancel culture has taken on the responsibility, as you’ve noted, to purge ‘problematic’ content, and its reach has expanded beyond the devious creators to encompass the consumers of the product themselves. Of course, the link here is the hyper-focus on the realm of the individual.

So why is so much emphasis placed on this? The cynical take is commonly derided as “Virtue signaling”, where individuals disingenuously engage in liberal multicultural tactics in order to avoid addressing systemic problems. But I don’t think it’s necessary to imagine the narcissistic intentions hidden in people’s souls, as it’s my contention that the situation is the reverse: it’s because systemic problems are collectively avoided, that individuals excessively engage in liberal multicultural tactics. The difference here is ideological.

Because of that, it is worthless to try to display their hypocrisy to them, to point out that toxic fandoms exist far more in other circles, as it will only strengthen their resolve. You are right that our only recourse, at this point, is a return to the focus on the work itself.

nice avatar

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Thanks. I got it for saying Biden's political history consists of pushing white supremacist interests.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Someone has been mass-buying Trump avatars for anyone who dares say that Joe Biden is not a paragon of virtue in the politics forums. It doesn’t mean much.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This reeks of Putin! Don't fall for these divisive Russian tactics

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

And yeah, I mean, this is what it always comes down to: personal preference. So someone argues at length about how one movie is bad and one is good then when backed into a corner it comes down to "I just liked this one and didn't like that one", which is fine of course but not really a good argument for relative quality.

Post-CW/BvS release was a fascinating and frustrating time because the two movies share a lot of core themes and structure: fallout from previous heroics haunting the heroes, two big name heroes fighting each other, one of those being a Libertarian billionaire pragmatist playboy and the other being your "aw shucks" blue clad boy scout, etc.

At the time insults/critiques that were lobbed at BvS mysteriously slid off CW like it was made of teflon, or else you were insane for even bringing them up. A lot was said about what little sense it made for Bats and Supes to fight but Tony and Cap's fight made even less sense IMO; in one movie you had two characters who had never met and who immediately distrusted the tactics and philosophy of the other one, in the other movie you had two guys who had been teammates for years and had each others' cell numbers. Even then Superman had to be manipulated into confronting Batman while the Avengers are like, throwing cars at each other and going "gee isn't this nutty I hope you still come to my birthday" *winks at camera*

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’d like to reaffirm that you don’t need a Disney conspiracy. Like, even if there were a guy there being paid to give slightly lower scores to rival corporations’ products, that influence would be dwarfed by the other factors:

-The professional film reviewers aggregated on Rotten Tomato are not only overwhelmingly liberal-centrist, but are overwhelmingly white Americans on top of that. This homogeneity pretty much automatically guarantees that any deviation will be perceived as corruption by some inscrutable other from outside, amplifying fear is of ‘Russian troll farms’ and Chinese influence over Hollywood, etc.

(If anyone’s ever found a lefty reviewer on RT, please post ‘em. I’ve yet to find a single one.)

-The above contributes to garden-variety systemic racism. It’s pretty much indisputable that RT would absolutely not be considered holy writ by white nerds if the majority of aggregated reviews originated from, say, India.

-Reviewing and criticism are very different things, and only rarely intersect. Reviewing is basically just product evaluation designed to predict whether a given good or service will meet or exceed the expectations of the mythical “average person”. By reducing everything to a series of arbitrary numerical values and decontextualized blurbs, RT automatically eliminates any residual criticism from film reviewing and further punishes deviation from the natural.

-Continuing from there, RT not-too-gradually transitioned into being a worse Razzies when they began marketing the unveiling of low scores as an event unto itself, using basically the exact same logic as algorithm-exploiting YouTube videos. This is unambiguously designed to enflame American-style culture war for profit.

-Reviewers are not, to my knowledge, being compensated when RT uses their reviews. Media outlets are doing it “for the exposure”, which means a lot of them are going to be very conscious of how their reviews will be interpreted by the algorithm thing. Like, this practice of giving some reviewers the option of choosing which icon is displayed to enhance the number not a good thing. You start getting weird combinations like “a good three” and “a bad four” that underline that the site exists almost purely as a vehicle to confirm bias.

Guy A. Person posted:

And yeah, I mean, this is what it always comes down to: personal preference. So someone argues at length about how one movie is bad and one is good then when backed into a corner it comes down to "I just liked this one and didn't like that one", which is fine of course but not really a good argument for relative quality.

It doesn’t actually come down to personal preference, though. That’s an apolitical illusion.

Civil War is an ideologically libertarian film, while Dawn Of Justice is very leftist. Which of those things is better is not subjective.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 4, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I’d like to reaffirm that you don’t need a Disney conspiracy. Like, even if there were a guy there being paid to give slightly lower scores to rival corporations’ products, that influence would be dwarfed by the other factors:

-The professional film reviewers aggregated on Rotten Tomato are not only overwhelmingly liberal-centrist, but are overwhelmingly white Americans on top of that. This homogeneity pretty much automatically guarantees that any deviation will be perceived as corruption by some inscrutable other from outside, amplifying fear is of ‘Russian troll farms’ and Chinese influence over Hollywood, etc.

(If anyone’s ever found a lefty reviewer on RT, please post ‘em. I’ve yet to find a single one.)

-The above contributes to garden-variety systemic racism. It’s pretty much indisputable that RT would absolutely not be considered holy writ by white nerds if the majority of aggregated reviews originated from, say, India.

-Reviewing and criticism are very different things, and only rarely intersect. Reviewing is basically just product evaluation designed to predict whether a given good or service will meet or exceed the expectations of the mythical “average person”. By reducing everything to a series of arbitrary numerical values and decontextualized blurbs, RT automatically eliminates any residual criticism from film reviewing and further punishes deviation from the natural.

-Continuing from there, RT not-too-gradually transitioned into being a worse Razzies when they began marketing the unveiling of low scores as an event unto itself, using basically the exact same logic as algorithm-exploiting YouTube videos. This is unambiguously designed to enflame American-style culture war for profit.

-Reviewers are not, to my knowledge, being compensated when RT uses their reviews. Media outlets are doing it “for the exposure”, which means a lot of them are going to be very conscious of how their reviews will be interpreted by the algorithm thing. Like, this practice of giving some reviewers the option of choosing which icon is displayed to enhance the number not a good thing. You start getting weird combinations like “a good three” and “a bad four” that underline that the site exists almost purely as a vehicle to confirm bias.

It doesn’t actually come down to personal preference, though. That’s an apolitical illusion.

Civil War is an ideologically libertarian film, while Dawn Of Justice is very leftist. Which of those things is better is not subjective.

Completely agree. It's not a conspiracy theory; they are just desperate for eyeballs and gradually transformed themselves from an aggregator into a literal Buzz Feed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy A. Person posted:

Post-CW/BvS release was a fascinating and frustrating time because the two movies share a lot of core themes and structure: fallout from previous heroics haunting the heroes, two big name heroes fighting each other, one of those being a Libertarian billionaire pragmatist playboy and the other being your "aw shucks" blue clad boy scout, etc.

If your going to compare a DC and MC film one-to-one in that way, a good set are MOS and T:R. Both place the hero as heirs to a crumbling colonialist empire in conflict with other successors, have elaborate flashback sequences in a different art style, extensive planet-shattering apocalypses, somewhat dour takes on heroes that are typically sanguine, etc etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

If your going to compare a DC and MC film one-to-one in that way, a good set are MOS and T:R. Both place the hero as heirs to a crumbling colonialist empire in conflict with other successors, have elaborate flashback sequences in a different art style, extensive planet-shattering apocalypses, somewhat dour takes on heroes that are typically sanguine, etc etc.

And that just makes me think Dragon Ball. Hell, DBS: Broly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seeing DBS Broly in a packed theater was a loving event.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I needed a moment to translate T:R to Thor: Ragnarok.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Space Fish posted:

I needed a moment to translate T:R to Thor: Ragnarok.

Same, lol.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's the acclaimed sequel to T:DW.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Itself the sequel to "KB's T"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man, there were more terminator sequels than i remembered

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
and I don't care what anyone says, The Jane Foster Chronicles hold up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brother Entropy posted:

man, there were more terminator sequels than i remembered

I always forget about the one with Christian Bale. Like, even now I can't remember the title of it, and I don't care enough to look it up lol. Dark Fate was ok. Much better than T3 and the one with Khaleesi.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

teagone posted:

I always forget about the one with Christian Bale. Like, even now I can't remember the title of it, and I don't care enough to look it up lol. Dark Fate was ok. Much better than T3 and the one with Khaleesi.

Salvation! And I quite like that one. The sequence where Sam Worthington and Moon Bloodgood escape the compound, and the harvester attack are some of my favorites of the entire franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOPmhQnC3w

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 4, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

we've got weird definitions of entertaining here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got 300 on Blu Ray from a dollar tree a bit back. Best dollar I ever spent there. Movie still fuckin owns.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

we've got weird definitions of entertaining here

I'd say, what with people thinking 300 is awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

come and get them

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

If you don't find exposed manflesh and chiseled abs awesome I don't know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

What's so bad about it?