Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I can see where they're coming from with the video game comparisons (and why Cyborg got the same comments). For me at least, it's that while the characters reflecting their environment, they're not reflecting themselves.

Compare the shot of Steppenwolf to one from Excalibur:

In the real armor, the arm is being reflected in the torso and vice-versa, while Steppenwolf seems a little bit off because all those little spikes sticking out are just kind of there and don't have any visual presence in the armor around them.

It's still pretty rare for movies to have self-reflecting lighting though - Transformers 5 was the first time they attempted it on that franchise, and they'd had a decade to work on visual improvements to the characters at that point.

This isn't a great image, but you can see where Optimus' screen-left shoulder is getting shadows and reflections from his shoulder pad - Steppenwolf doesn't have any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

hump day bitches! posted:

I saw people comparing it to Arkham Asylum, which looks great but also it’s an incredible wet and shiny game, full of colour and cartoony as hell , the same thing they accuse Snyder of not getting.

It’s a roundabout way of saying I don’t like it but also makes look you mature and cool, and above the fact that you are posting on Twitter about superhero comics while red and mad.

Also there’s quite a serious discussion about how is going to sink the studio, which is kind of hilarious as they sunk 100M in this stuff after expecting and planning for a 4 to 5 billion loss in the first 4 to 5 years of hbo Max life.Less than 2% of the losses and probably cheaper than the last season of game of thrones.Also so far, entirely organic ad campaign they have not invested a cent on.

Somehow Warner has gotten value out of a catastrophic movie that alienated its core audience, made them a joke, got a bunch of execs fired and torpedoed a bunch of their most valuable IP’s just by letting Snyder vibe out of control on his own and a bunch of nerds doing marketing for free.

Yeah, it's the same as its ever been. I remember getting in a long argument with someone that 'I am legend' was video game esque. And, when pressed, he essentially said 'because it was bad'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Farg posted:

like a skinny thanos sorta

Thinos

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ciwO9zUYIE

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Robot Style posted:

I can see where they're coming from with the video game comparisons (and why Cyborg got the same comments). For me at least, it's that while the characters reflecting their environment, they're not reflecting themselves.

Compare the shot of Steppenwolf to one from Excalibur:

In the real armor, the arm is being reflected in the torso and vice-versa, while Steppenwolf seems a little bit off because all those little spikes sticking out are just kind of there and don't have any visual presence in the armor around them.

I have been watching a ton of digital foundry and ray tracing coverage so it immediately jumped to me, something was wrong with the highly reflective armour when I saw the image this morning.

But the Arkham asylum comment was about a shot of Batman, Wonder Woman and flash all lumped together, on the slash film article about Snyder ideal way to show the movie.

Also the steppe wolf gpu meme is incredible and I love it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ignore me, i posted in haste.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 18, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Ignore me, i posted in haste.

It is a very good video, share the news

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snyder is terrible, his visuals are too dark and dreary! Why can't he make fun cartoony stuff??

Snyder is terrible, he uses CGI in ways that look outlandish and unreal! Why doesn't it look realistic??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd settle for good

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I do find it kind of funny that Snyder's answer to "What if Man of Steel was in color?" is to make a black & white Justice League.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd settle for good

Good thing you're getting amazing then! :v:

Man Zack making pew pew noises on his live streams will never not be funny, he's such a dork :all ears:

Also the spiky thing is a synthetic armor that can be removed, and I think Zack said something about naked Steppenwolf, so you know, the monster fuckers will be happy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's really weird that a ton of gamer personality types are critical of the design for "looking like a video game." What a meaningless description. It's not like the embarrassing Superman/Steppenwolf fight from the Whedon cut that looks visibly rendered worse than an Injustice finisher.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ungulateman posted:

i think the comparisons to the cover art of graphics cards is better tbh

rtx on // rtx off

lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One reaction I saw was "well Trump lost, so I guess at least this Snyder Cut stuff will keep them busy". I'd be interested to know the average political leanings of the guy's fans; I imagine the DC superhero movies attract some right wing guys who consider the Marvel movies irreversibly cucked and reflexively want to contribute to their competition (a la the replies any time Sony does a black lives matter tweet all saying "well I guess I'm buying an Xbox!" and vice versa) but I mean, BvS is a story about Batman being manipulated by the billionaire-owned media into being frightened of an immigrant. I can't imagine what right wing people would get out of it other than it literally just not being a Marvel movie

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

One reaction I saw was "well Trump lost, so I guess at least this Snyder Cut stuff will keep them busy". I'd be interested to know the average political leanings of the guy's fans; I imagine the DC superhero movies attract some right wing guys who consider the Marvel movies irreversibly cucked and reflexively want to contribute to their competition (a la the replies any time Sony does a black lives matter tweet all saying "well I guess I'm buying an Xbox!" and vice versa) but I mean, BvS is a story about Batman being manipulated by the billionaire-owned media into being frightened of an immigrant. I can't imagine what right wing people would get out of it other than it literally just not being a Marvel movie

Well they've got Batman machine gunning down bad guys with his car and also slinging crates into their face, so there's that aspect of it I guess, and the congresswoman who tries to get one over on the white man gets blown up by him (it doesn't matter he's the bad guy).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's really weird that a ton of gamer personality types are critical of the design for "looking like a video game." What a meaningless description. It's not like the embarrassing Superman/Steppenwolf fight from the Whedon cut that looks visibly rendered worse than an Injustice finisher.

Video games did get basically taken over by brown and bloom for a decade but they seem to be gradually recovering.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Well they've got Batman machine gunning down bad guys with his car and also slinging crates into their face, so there's that aspect of it I guess, and the congresswoman who tries to get one over on the white man gets blown up by him (it doesn't matter he's the bad guy).

Sure, but Batman is supposed to be the antagonist here. Granted, that point too, passes alot of people by

2house2fly posted:

I saw someone saying something along the lines of "white people love Snyder", and I'm like, half the Snyder fans i interact with are poc, women, queer or a combination of the above

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This owns.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

2house2fly posted:

I've met multiple people that think the Empire were the good guys in Star Wars. Conservatives will warp anything to fit their narrative.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

McCloud posted:

I saw someone saying something along the lines of "white people love Snyder", and I'm like, half the Snyder fans i interact with are poc, women, queer or a combination of the above

A bunch of people also said Bernie supporters were all white men despite him having by far the best numbers in the primary among Latino and Muslim communities that were largely people of color, and having very good support amongst young women. Meanwhile Biden are poo poo across every demographic except suburban whites but they want to pretend he was incredibly popular with minority voters.

Basically they view politics and personal taste as identical which isn’t surprising given that for most of them politics is also purely superficial and performative, just like tweeting about cartoon movies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hump day bitches! posted:

But the Arkham asylum comment was about a shot of Batman, Wonder Woman and flash all lumped together, on the slash film article about Snyder ideal way to show the movie.

An yeah that thing was made by some intern at slashfilm, our top quality film critics just decided to discuss it like it wasn't.

Both Darkseid and Steppenwolf's character models have had the exact same memes about GPU box art, I'm getting kinda interested in the overall style that's going to emerge. Kirby's new gods were fantastical monsters with the power of technology, these guys are beasts of pure technology - what else is a tech demo box art monster - who come lookong to suck the magic out of Albion Earth.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I would imagine Snyder's Fandom cuts across the political landscape, as most directors' do. Judging by the reactions to the pro-biden tweet from a few weeks back he's attracted a lot of chud-love but an equal to greater amount of centrists/leftists.

E: you have some directors like Rian Johnson being openly antagonistic to the right on social media, and directors from minority groups the right hates like the Wachowskis, but outside of those examples I don't think enjoying a person's work falls along the political spectrum.

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 18, 2020

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Man, speaking of Jack Kirby it's legit depressing to see people say stuff like "How DARE they redesign a character created by Kirby!" who also praised the Kirby-esque production design[citation needed] in Thor Ragnarok.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
even with all the loud twitter disapproval of snyder, people are overwhelmingly pro-snyder cut. just look at the like/dislike ratio on youtube, then compare it to, say, rise of skywalker trailers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1329202870567063553

Getting people to burn that free trial on WW84 so they gotta PONY UP for the Snyder Cut. Very clever, Zack... :colbert:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtx7Y1URGtw

Having some fun in the grading suite.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Is JL going to be available in 16:9 widescreen when it comes out? On one hand I'm glad ZS got to film it in his preferred format but on the other hand my screen is [-------] not [ ]

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/RealLyndaCarter/status/1328754545422381063?s=20

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
This is essentially Twitter whenever Snyder drops something new.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roman posted:

Is JL going to be available in 16:9 widescreen when it comes out? On one hand I'm glad ZS got to film it in his preferred format but on the other hand my screen is [-------] not [ ]

It will be streaming on HBO Max in 1.43:1 IMAX AR from what I know. So it'll basically fill the entire display of your TV.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah Snyder said that the armor can react to his emotional state and threats. Kind of like how Cyborg’s armor started reacting to Clark at Heroes Park. He gave some examples like the armor being able to “catch” arrows when he’s fighting the Amazons

Okay here's my proposal: halfway through the movie someone manages to shoot him in the face, caving in his skull, but it turns out that "Steppenwolf" is the armor, not the host, and it keeps fighting.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

teagone posted:

It will be streaming on HBO Max in 1.43:1 IMAX AR from what I know. So it'll basically fill the entire display of your TV.

1.43:1 is closer to the older 4x3 TVs than modern 16x9 TVs, so there will be large black bars on the sides of the image.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ferrinus posted:

Okay here's my proposal: halfway through the movie someone manages to shoot him in the face, caving in his skull, but it turns out that "Steppenwolf" is the armor, not the host, and it keeps fighting.

The armor keeps fighting but the face has eyes that are Xs and the drooping tongue flops around as the body moves.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ferrinus posted:

Wouldn't that just be the destroyer armor from thor?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

roffels posted:

1.43:1 is closer to the older 4x3 TVs than modern 16x9 TVs, so there will be large black bars on the sides of the image.

Ahh yeah, I got it mixed up with 1.78:1, which is what Avatar (2009) was in I believe. [edit] And that's just 16:9 AR. [edit 2] Scratch that, I got it mixed up with 1.85:1 actually lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 19, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1329202870567063553

Getting people to burn that free trial on WW84 so they gotta PONY UP for the Snyder Cut. Very clever, Zack... :colbert:

I mean...it's gonna work on me, that's for sure.

roffels posted:

Oh wait, the format in the trailers is going to be the actual format in the movie? I thought it was just some weird thing he was doing for the trailer, like black and white in the last one. That's...certainly a choice.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 19, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Joe Manganiello just posted this on Twitter with the caption ”Heroes & Villains can put their differences aside for an important cause...”

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

itshappening.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know it'd be neat if Snyder brought in Starfire for a hypothetical sequel, since Cyborg is here. She's got neat powers and you know he'd do something fun with the whole warrior culture thing.