Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

It's still super-funny that the bonus material on my DVD has animated shorts that show that the robots where actually the good guys suicide bombing a human metropolis to liberate their robot brethren, or some such.

Right - "whenever we encounter such a purely evil Outside, we should gather the courage to endorse the Hegelian lesson: in this pure Outside, we should recognize the distilled version of our own essence." Man Of Steel is Snyder's first (and currently only) unironic movie. Even the women in Sucker Punch have some ideological limitations - hence their preoccupation with the Matrix-style nightmare of a 'real reality' underneath the virtual universe of the brothel.

"Even if the struggle takes place in the 'real reality', the key fight is to be won in the Matrix, which is why one should (re)enter its virtual fictional universe. If the struggle were to take place solely in the 'desert of the real,' it would have been another boring dystopia about the remnants of humanity fighting evil machines. [...] So, although economy is the real site and politics a theater of shadows, the main fight is to be fought in politics and ideology."
-Zizek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right - "whenever we encounter such a purely evil Outside, we should gather the courage to endorse the Hegelian lesson: in this pure Outside, we should recognize the distilled version of our own essence." Man Of Steel is Snyder's first (and currently only) unironic movie. Even the women in Sucker Punch have some ideological limitations - hence their preoccupation with the Matrix-style nightmare of a 'real reality' underneath the virtual universe of the brothel.

How do you reckon BvS is ironic?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

How do you reckon BvS is ironic?

Because it’s a return to the style of Watchmen, with the trademark speed-ramping sneaking back in and whatnot . This stylistic return aligns with how Bruce Wayne takes altogether the wrong lesson from Superman and assembles a team of corporate-funded Avengers in the end - which is exactly what Luthor was doing before his suicidal meltdown and arrest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Superman himself isn't an ironic character in BvS, but things like Batman's holy fury in the warehouse, or manipulations to see Lex tortured in Arkham, suggest the guy isn't as cleanly redeemed as we might want to think.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That is also the purpose of his appearance at the end of Suicide Squad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Can't wait to see them follow up on that thread.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Superman himself isn't an ironic character in BvS, but things like Batman's holy fury in the warehouse, or manipulations to see Lex tortured in Arkham, suggest the guy isn't as cleanly redeemed as we might want to think.

I guess that was part of his supposed arc in Justice League that was cut, where he turned his rage inwards towards complete self destruction and suicide.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Can't wait to see them follow up on that thread.

Maybe if James Gunn consulted Snyder the same way James Wan did.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I was under the impression that Affleck was gone and presumably they want to distance the Matt Reeves version from Snyder's, though I certainly wouldn't mind there being multiple Batmen the way they're apparently going to have multiple Jokers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Maybe if James Gunn consulted Snyder the same way James Wan did.

The two already have an established working relationship since Snyder directed Gunn's script for Dawn of the Dead. Suicide Squad 2's going to be off the hook.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was under the impression that Affleck was gone and presumably they want to distance the Matt Reeves version from Snyder's, though I certainly wouldn't mind there being multiple Batmen the way they're apparently going to have multiple Jokers.

If WB is still so worried about that they should just have Batman Inc. be a thing so they can have more freedom with who is cast since it will always be a given they're only doing one or two movies at most.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Violator posted:

I guess that was part of his supposed arc in Justice League that was cut, where he turned his rage inwards towards complete self destruction and suicide.

There's a shot in the assault on Steppenwolf's reactor complex where the Batmobile's cannon ejects a shell that echoes the military funeral from BvS; this would have been an excellent thematic callback and moment of character insight in Snyder's version, but in Whedon's can only really be read as "gently caress yeah we're blowin' up aliens, get some :clint:".

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McSpanky posted:

There's a shot in the assault on Steppenwolf's reactor complex where the Batmobile's cannon ejects a shell that echoes the military funeral from BvS; this would have been an excellent thematic callback and moment of character insight in Snyder's version, but in Whedon's can only really be read as "gently caress yeah we're blowin' up aliens, get some :clint:".

I think that was gonna be batman attempting a suicidal charge to buy the league more time to deal with Steppy, but gets saved by Wondy. It's almost the same in Josstice league, where the insinuation is that Batman has a deathwish and wants to die to redeem himself, but that theme is dropped after wonder woman bails him out.

My guess is that the original idea was for it to culminate in Batman sacrificing himself for a pregnant Lois Lane, bringing everything full circle.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Man Of Steel is Snyder's first (and currently only) unironic movie.

What about The Owls of Ga'Hoole? It's been awhile since I saw it but it doesn't seem ironic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
All of Snyder's films are adaptations of 300, by Frank Miller, except 300, which is an adaptation of Watchmen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Snyder hasn't told a joke in 20 years. When he attempted open mic at a comedy club, merely opening his mouth caused someone to shoot a dove in cold blood right in front of him, and he shrank away from the stage, vowing never to attempt humor again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When Snyder uses 2% of his power, Marvel Comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be destroyed, inshallah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A straight live-action adaptation of one of Frank Miller's Batman stories directed by Snyder be pretty cool. He did Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns is often put in the same breath due to coming out at a similar time and also revolutionizing American comics.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I kind of would like to see an adaptation of All-Star Batman and Robin if not for morbid curiosity of how played straight it would be

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I found their Youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muTyXvOaSn0

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like Zack Snyder movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

As someone who's battled with depression I appreciate his and Deb's charitable contributions to organizations related to suicide and raising awareness in general.

It was terrible reading about his daughters struggle and I cant imagine the pain their family went through.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

But what if... I don't like Zack Snyder movies?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But what if... I don't like Zack Snyder movies?

I acknowledge your statement and appreciate your peaceful manner of stating it.

quote:

As someone who's battled with depression I appreciate his and Deb's charitable contributions to organizations related to suicide and raising awareness in general.

It was terrible reading about his daughters struggle and I cant imagine the pain their family went through.

Yeah, same. I hadn't followed Snyder before but he always seemed like a fun and sweet guy, reading about his daughter's depression and suicide hit me kinda hard.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Watching Man of Steel after being diagnosed with depression and emigrating 17k km away from my home was extremely emotional for me. Please gloss over the fact I'm relating to a literal alien god.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

Welcome

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

hump day bitches! posted:

Watching Man of Steel after being diagnosed with depression and emigrating 17k km away from my home was extremely emotional for me. Please gloss over the fact I'm relating to a literal alien god.

That makes sense. Most Superman stories focus on how he is an AMERICAN immigrant. But Man of Steel casts him as an American IMMIGRANT.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

hump day bitches! posted:

Clark is very relatable in that movie. It's why some people get mad about it.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

golden bubble posted:

That makes sense. Most Superman stories focus on how he is an AMERICAN immigrant. But Man of Steel casts him as an American IMMIGRANT.

Krypton is not sending us their best.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Clark is very relatable in that movie. It's why some people get mad about it.

I often feel isolated and alone and I'm also loving jacked so this checks out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I often feel isolated and alone and I'm also loving jacked so this checks out.

Love to lay face up in the ocean and watch families of whales swim over me, so that part really got to me.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Love to lay face up in the ocean and watch families of whales swim over me, so that part really got to me.

That is not even close to the relatable scene where Clark is standing on thousands of human skulls.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well yeah I mean who hasn't had the old "sinking into a sea of skulls" dream

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dream? That's a typical Tuesday for me. Elliot Abrams, Marco Rubio, Donald Trump and John Bolton all provide the skulls.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Well yeah I mean who hasn't had the old "sinking into a sea of skulls" dream

Once they realized this wasn't common and/or relatable enough, at the end of the movie they decided to replace the skulls with human ash from an entirely incinerated city (that Clark caused) after discovering 9/11 survivors are the most relatable people in this country, and it provided for some beautiful cinematography.

Mr. Snyder, you're a genius. I can't wait until you adapt Ayn Rand "novels."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Feels like you've accidentally said something really weird about 9/11 survivors there, in your rush to poop on Zack "the Mack" Snyder.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

9/11 victims and survivors are very relatable to many Americans used as props by politicians who don't otherwise care about them.

Also by the way I think they confirmed that Aquaman and those whales rescued Clark after the oil rig.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

josh04 posted:

Feels like you've accidentally said something really weird about 9/11 survivors there, in your rush to poop on Zack "the Mack" Snyder.

lmao

Watch out, I might say 9/11 was a hoax next.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Heat Vision can't melt steel beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jimbot posted:

Heat Vision can't melt steel beams.

Bud, it's right in Man of Steel during the Zod fight. It can