Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

pospysyl posted:

In BvS there's a scene where Superman is in the middle of a horrible disaster. In the Ultimate Edition he sticks around and helps the EMTs rescue people. In the theatrical version he runs away.

There's a news broadcast shortly after which has a line about how he was helping people, so they presumably cut the scene of him actually helping people because they figured they didn't 100% need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

Not enough people have seen man of steel so we started with that again

It’s amazing.

Excellent choice

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

Not enough people have seen man of steel so we started with that again

It’s amazing.

:agreed:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Snyder probably has first print issues of Watchmen that he bought while most of his youtube critics were in diapers.

I bought mine off my pops :smug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

What BVS version for the first time ? Sorry. I got people interested in watching it .

K waste cut

Or go with your gut based on what you know of their sensibilities/tastes

Tell them the differences - theatrical is more ambiguous and dream like, plus shorter (and thus better :colbert:) and ultimate is way longer and more certain and many of the added scenes are great but are also redundant :shrug:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cargohills posted:

"There's a televangelist who says some crazy stuff on the TV. Because we've already decided the director is a Christian extremist fascist Randian, the televangelist must be right."

The weird thing is, watching that footage is that character's turning point and he becomes good and helpful after that.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like this never got mentioned until the Maggie Mae Fish video and now it's a bedrock claim about the man by his haters.

It's also really funny because, is Snyder an Objectivist or a fascist or a Christian Science fundamentalist? Those are all very different ideologies.

*Helen Lovejoy voice* many characters in Quetin Tarantino's films are bigots and felons, therefore

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

K waste cut

Or go with your gut based on what you know of their sensibilities/tastes

Tell them the differences - theatrical is more ambiguous and dream like, plus shorter (and thus better :colbert:) and ultimate is way longer and more certain and many of the added scenes are great but are also redundant :shrug:

At this point, I think scenes hammering home the points are useful because some folks attention span is non-existant

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WB: Zack Snyder's Justice League is a non-canon cul-de-sac.

Also WB: We have to cancel Ava DeVernay's movie because they were in Zack Snyder's Justice League.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like the Ultimate Cut because it has that Gotham vs. Metropolis football game footage. Unironically love when a movie bluntly hammers it home.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
If the Ultimate Cut (aka what ZS actually wanted) had been released in theaters, BvS would have cracked a billion easy and WB wouldn't have had to panic-gently caress itself out of the golden goose.

"Cut all the connecting tissue out so we can jam in an extra showing a day," is one of the worst calls any studio has ever made about any movie, ever. And then they were going to do the exact same thing to JL.

See, 5 showings a day with 5 people each due to poo poo word-of-mouth is MUCH better than 4 showings with 100+ people each. That's 20% more showings! That means 20% more profits!

Right?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

JonathonSpectre posted:

If the Ultimate Cut (aka what ZS actually wanted) had been released in theaters, BvS would have cracked a billion easy and WB wouldn't have had to panic-gently caress itself out of the golden goose.

"Cut all the connecting tissue out so we can jam in an extra showing a day," is one of the worst calls any studio has ever made about any movie, ever. And then they were going to do the exact same thing to JL.

See, 5 showings a day with 5 people each due to poo poo word-of-mouth is MUCH better than 4 showings with 100+ people each. That's 20% more showings! That means 20% more profits!

Right?

No because some people on the internet said it was bad and not like the good capeshit movies they liked and that's not ok! Homogized entertainment slurry for all god drat it!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The bizarre thing is a lot of the really early reviews and reactions were stuff about the pacing being all jacked up, things being confusing (e.g. "why did people think Superman killed people with a gun? lol") and the human element and humor being absent...all poo poo that the Ultimate Edition fixed and got praised for once it was released. You also had one off memes like "Marthaaa!" and "Batman kills people!" but it wasn't until the dust really settled that the narrative became about how it should've emulated an MCU film, that that's the only way you could possibly do a team up, and Justice League would need more color and joakes to work.

And of course that narrative is what WB listened to, not "if you hadn't gutted all the humor and connective tissue this movie would have been a success" but literally "you need the Avengers guy to make it Avengers: Age of Ultron, part 2: Justice League, part 1". And remember, there were reports of executives thinking that Whedon saved the movie, and being absolutely baffled by the immediate reaction to the released movie. Like I legitimately picture these suits sending in their assistants with a notepad and having them tally jokes: "Oh wow, that many jokes!? And you say it was 'extremely colorful'? Wow, we did it! People are gonna love this!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stop trying to make "cape poo poo" a thing, it just sounds lame

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Guy A. Person posted:

Like I legitimately picture these suits sending in their assistants with a notepad and having them tally jokes: "Oh wow, that many jokes!? And you say it was 'extremely colorful'? Wow, we did it! People are gonna love this!"

I think the entirety of the DC movies are like this.

LIke a common complaint of Superman Returns is that people wanted to see Superman punch something. And when we got Man of Steel, there was no shortage of punching, and people complained about that.

Maybe the suits should stop listening to the "fandom."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As boring as BvS was, it wasn't Superman Returns boring

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They were right about superman returns though, all Superman did in that one was pick heavy things up. BORING

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean, what do you think happens when you try to go to the bathroom in those things

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

As boring as BvS was, it wasn't Superman Returns boring
poo poo, man, we can't even enjoy that Kevin Spacey meme anymore.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Halloween Jack posted:

poo poo, man, we can't even enjoy that Kevin Spacey meme anymore.

An extremely cursed tee-up, right here.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll call these whatever I please and "Capeshit" fits perfectly. Sorry you hate fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

joylessdivision posted:

I'll call these whatever I please and "Capeshit" fits perfectly. Sorry you hate fun

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

Extremely good post/name combo here

josh04 posted:

An extremely cursed tee-up, right here.

Lemme tell you, it took all my willpower not to do it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, what do you think happens when you try to go to the bathroom in those things

You're supposed to roll it up around your waist noob

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder if Batman has ever been jumped by some thugs while he was peeing in an alley.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

You're supposed to roll it up around your waist noob

I'm just saying, you've been crime fighting all day in a heavy rubber suit, you're beat up and exhausted, your track record for cape hygiene is going to suffer at some point

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In this thread we do not kinkshame.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade posted:

Cape poo poo is an apt descriptor of the genre though. All films within the genre are all varying degrees of poo poo, e.g., Snyder makes some good rear end poo poo imo, Marvel makes some dog poo poo, but also some ok poo poo. Sony has made some really bad poo poo, but some really good rear end poo poo like Spider-Verse. See how well it works? The "cape" prefix is meant to clarify the genre is about superheroes, you see. And then the "poo poo" suffix is meant to represent the level of quality in whatever way you personally see fit, i.e., poo poo can mean good, poo poo can mean bad, poo poo can mean mediocre, etc.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

McCloud posted:

Extremely good post/name combo here

:D

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Halloween Jack posted:

In this thread we do not kinkshame.

Batman probably shouldn't mix business with pleasure if that's his "cup of tea."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Tell that to Catwoman's...no. I'll stop.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

hopepunk for cape poo poo friendo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Who's to blame for all this capeshit? That's right, Beau shitwhistling Brummell

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Hopepunk reminds me of an interview with Grant Morrison, sometime around while he was doing Final Crisis, talking about negativity and cynicism and he asked "Why should it be so loving punk rock to think things can turn out alright?"

Also capeshit is whatever, I just call them superpants.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

hopepunk for cape poo poo friendo

No

stop it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gonna hopepunk you so hard with my cape poo poo

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Does Darkman count as capeshit? It’s a big dirty overcoat but looks cool when swinging from a helicopter.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Once we start insisting on our own jargon we'll be well into cult territory. And cults are great! Everyone (who's in one) loves them.

I definitely started getting weirded out by C-SPAM once too many posts started revolving around people accusing everyone of being "succ" or "crack-pinging"

e: also "capeshit" sounds too much like "apeshit" so it seems kind of angry

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

roffels posted:

I think the entirety of the DC movies are like this.

LIke a common complaint of Superman Returns is that people wanted to see Superman punch something. And when we got Man of Steel, there was no shortage of punching, and people complained about that.

Maybe the suits should stop listening to the "fandom."

*batman begins comes out, showing the fights like a horror film*

"we want to see the fights clearly"

*dark knight rises does that, revealing how silly it all looks*

"not like that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

But TDKRs fights were awful because they all hinged on someone deus ex machina'ing from off screen. Married with Nolan's fight choreography(aggressive dance) it comes off as pitiful. He didn't even put emphasis on the backbreaker.