Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ok fine, enjoy your containment zone, I tried

Tried to what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Guy A. Person posted:

Tried to what?

to say maybe we should stop looking for reasons to be antagonistic and actually talk about stuff to which you replied with finding reasons to be antagonistic

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh lol you made an edit

You directly antagonized me today and then consistently haven't responded to my responses to you regarding the incident

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh lol you made an edit

You directly antagonized me today and then consistently haven't responded to my responses to you regarding the incident

The point is that everyone has been an rear end in a top hat to everyone else and maybe we should just take a deep breath and move past it

EDIT: Like the post I was responding to was talking about frustrations with the Synder containment zone and how they feel like they are sniped at and how it makes others snipe back and I said "You are right, maybe we need to calm down and not be so antagonistic to each other" and your immediate response to say "how dare you suggest we stop sniping at each other when you have also sniped at people" like that wasn't my point

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 23, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The point is that everyone has been an rear end in a top hat to everyone else and maybe we should just take a deep breath and move past it

The way you typically move past this poo poo is acknowledging your own role in the antagonism, Mel.

Like I did here:

Guy A. Person posted:

... I can see why it would cause issues so I apologize and of course will respect Fran's ruling on this.

I didn't really see that at all in your previous post, tbh, but since I assume you're now including yourself in "everyone" I guess you're right and I overreacted. I apologize again.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
My god you guys

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I said "Hey, maybe we need to stop antagonizing each other and be more open to talking without assuming we are enemies" and your response is to find reasons to think I am being deceitful.

Like, ok fine, enjoy your containment zone, I tried

You are being deceitful by surrepetitiously making false claims, then crying antagonism when multiple people point out your errors.

See you soon.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahahah oh good you edited more in to take another swipe

I guess I fell for that feint, good job

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Hahahah oh good you edited more in to take another swipe

I guess I fell for that feint, good job

I edited that in before you apologized. You're right, I am a part of it as well, I acknowledge that. Can we PLEASE stop assuming everyone is an enemy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I edited that in before you apologized. You're right, I am a part of it as well, I acknowledge that. Can we PLEASE stop assuming everyone is an enemy.

People have tried to explain their behavior to you, which you ignored in favor of this annoying hand-wringing over antagonism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hate the post, not the poster. That's always been my motto (sometimes I fail to do this, tho, if there's a ton of crummy posts)

One of the best posts I ever did was comparing how Donner shot Superman to Snyder. Lemme go fetch that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

which you ignored in favor of this annoying hand-wringing over antagonism.

I was replying to a post talking about how that poster hates the antagonism

Like, I was literally offering an olive branch to a dude who was also bothered by the antagonism and said maybe we all need to stop being so confrontational and the immediate response from three separate people has been to be confrontational about it, none of whom was the original person I was responding to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I found the Superman post. Unfortunately I think you need archives and it can't be quoted because the thread is closed but here it is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766383&userid=11551&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post463026479

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Mel, consider the saying about assholes and running into many of them. Maybe it's you?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I found the Superman post. Unfortunately I think you need archives and it can't be quoted because the thread is closed but here it is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766383&userid=11551&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post463026479

looks interesting, I will take a deeper look at it

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Mel, consider the saying about assholes and running into many of them. Maybe it's you?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I don't have archives and can see it, that's dope.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah we're good, and for the record I don't see you as an enemy.

Just an honest suggestion and not trying to continue any kind of fight: if you sincerely intended that post to be an olive branch I would recommend rereading it and seeing how it might have come off to us and why we responded the way we did. I've reread it a few times now to see if I am just badly misinterpreting, and it seems heavy on blaming the thread for the backlash. The phrase "a enforced mentality of consent or submission" for example paints a very ugly picture of what you seem to think of other posters in this thread.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was replying to a post talking about how that poster hates the antagonism

Like, I was literally offering an olive branch to a dude who was also bothered by the antagonism and said maybe we all need to stop being so confrontational and the immediate response from three separate people has been to be confrontational about it, none of whom was the original person I was responding to.

Be the change you want to see in the thread, and stop being lovely, antagonistic poster, and stop denying that you were one. That might, just might, have an impact on the levels of antagonism.

This is a loving great read. I never realised how very differently the palette of Superman's costume registers compared to everything else. The film isn't dark, but it's got a normal 1970s movie palette, but Superman's costume is this crazy riot of really vivid, impossible colour. By contrast, MoS has his colours in the same range.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah we're good, and for the record I don't see you as an enemy.

Just an honest suggestion and not trying to continue any kind of fight: if you sincerely intended that post to be an olive branch I would recommend rereading it and seeing how it might have come off to us and why we responded the way we did. I've reread it a few times now to see if I am just badly misinterpreting, and it seems heavy on blaming the thread for the backlash. The phrase "a enforced mentality of consent or submission" for example paints a very ugly picture of what you seem to think of other posters in this thread.

Yeah for some reason I thought I had originally emphasized that the thread was being stereotyped unfairly as well but I can see how it wasn't as obvious as it was in my head, fair point

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a loving great read. I never realised how very differently the palette of Superman's costume registers compared to everything else. The film isn't dark, but it's got a normal 1970s movie palette, but Superman's costume is this crazy riot of really vivid, impossible colour. By contrast, MoS has his colours in the same range.

Yeah that's the thing. It's not that they made the environments super-drab, it's that they absolutely jumped Supes out of the frame. He almost literally stands apart. While Snyder's more naturalistic Superman doesn't, and I think it makes a big impact on the viewer's psyche. You can't help but remember Donner's Superman as being almost from another world, visually.

Also Donner's Superman positively looms over everything else, his height and presence is shot for maximum domination.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm conflicted about Mel because once upon a time he made a really great thread about Video Nasties... until he became a pedantic dick about the definition and poo poo posted his own thread til he killed it dead.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yeah that's the thing. It's not that they made the environments super-drab, it's that they absolutely jumped Supes out of the frame. He almost literally stands apart. While Snyder's more naturalistic Superman doesn't, and I think it makes a big impact on the viewer's psyche. You can't help but remember Donner's Superman as being almost from another world, visually.

Also Donner's Superman positively looms over everything else, his height and presence is shot for maximum domination.

IT reinforces their place in the narrative. Donner's straight up admits who he is, what he does: He's an alien, he's superman, and he's here to help. Snyder's is unsure who he is and what he can do. He's paralysed by the knock on effect of every action he makes. It reminds me of the current plot of 'The Good Place' where globalism and late stage capitalism have made it so even good or neutral actions have massive knock on effects. Buying flowers for your mum now gets you closer to hell than heaven

ruddiger posted:

I'm conflicted about Mel because once upon a time he made a really great thread about Video Nasties... until he became a pedantic dick about the definition and poo poo posted his own thread til he killed it dead.

Stare not into the abyss.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 24, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I admit I came a little too hard too fast in that thread and it ruffled people wrong

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That's not antagonism, Mel. That's genuine advice. You have this habit of coming into threads and getting perplexed that people disagree with you, then eventually apologizing or explaining that you have issues with wanting to be understood. This is compounded by the fact that you don't really know what you're talking about and getting belligerent when people point out your inaccuracies. Examine your own behavior instead of doing this weird psychoanalysis of others and you might be able to figure out the patterns that lead you to run into so many -- or more accurately, consider so many people as -- assholes.

For example, your own words: "I can see how it wasn't as obvious as it was in my head, fair point."

Or directly above.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 24, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That's not antagonism, Mel. That's genuine advice. You have this habit of coming into threads and getting perplexed that people disagree with you, then eventually apologizing or explaining that you have issues with wanting to be understood. This is compounded by the fact that you don't really know what you're talking about and getting belligerent when people point out your inaccuracies. Examine your own behavior instead of doing this weird psychoanalysis of others and you might be able to figure out the patterns that lead you to run into so many -- or more accurately, consider so many people as -- assholes.

For example, your own words: "I can see how it wasn't as obvious as it was in my head, fair point."

Or directly above.

I think I will take the edited part where you told me to gently caress off

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think I will take the edited part where you told me to gently caress off

I hope you can get the help you need.

Until then, please let the door hit your rear end on the way out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
See now, I’d say that the failure of THE SNYDERDOME is not that it stifles debate, but that it reveals there is no actual debate. Like, it’s supposedly this big gladiatorial battle between opposing sides, but it turns out that nobody has actually formed any criticism of the films.

There were, what, three dudes in the thread attempting it? Two of them ended up being pathological liars, and I don’t even recall who the third one was.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See now, I’d say that the failure of THE SNYDERDOME is not that it stifles debate, but that it reveals there is no actual debate. Like, it’s supposedly this big gladiatorial battle between opposing sides, but it turns out that nobody has actually formed any criticism of the films.

There were, what, three dudes in the thread attempting it? Two of them ended up being pathological liars, and I don’t even recall who the third one was.

Nodosaur who kept arguing batman doesn't kill, amd that it's a big part of the character

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

maybe we should stop looking for reasons to be antagonistic

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

Nodosaur who kept arguing batman doesn't kill, amd that it's a big part of the character

Oh, right. I forgot because that’s more a criticism of external reality than of any film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mel, best advice I can give is that some of us are too old and tired to be arguing in the bad faith you read into. I'm 40 and looking for any enjoyment I can find in life since it is too hard to find and am looking for anything to change my opinion on things for instance. Its also why I'm so short with people in their 20s and 30s purposely cutting off possible positive readings of things because they see their opinions as unapproachable walls.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh btw this rules y'all

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/joss/status/1121443103972438017

I know there are a few Lefties in here that'd get a good laugh out of this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Joss Whedon loving SUCKS

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Zack Snyder is more scared of you than you are of him.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vintersorg posted:

Joss Whedon loving SUCKS

It's crazy that WB got him to finish JL instead of someone like Ayer, he just so bad and it shows so hard I almost feel sorry for him . .

But then I remember he's a garbage person too

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Oh my God. I'm generally in the gently caress Whedon camp but seriously gently caress Whedon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Whedon is like a worse Kevin Smith. Both make terrible movies and are pretty inept for their level of success, but at least Smith is only occasionally creepy and seems more clueless about it. Whedon constantly reminds me of what Orson Welles said about Woody Allen. I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd post the quote.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
in a better world, whedon would have permanently logged off from the internet after age of ultron. mcu fans couldn't even run him off twitter, smdh.

Grendels Dad posted:

Whedon is like a worse Kevin Smith. Both make terrible movies and are pretty inept for their level of success, but at least Smith is only occasionally creepy and seems more clueless about it. Whedon constantly reminds me of what Orson Welles said about Woody Allen. I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd post the quote.

smith hasn't been revealed to be a cheating husband and sex pest yet, right? he has that over whedon at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Equeen posted:

smith hasn't been revealed to be a cheating husband and sex pest yet, right? he has that over whedon at least.

We've all seen the tweet, that's a marriage built to last