Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
With this kind of criticism there is always a struggle to integrate "[director] failed to make a good movie because they are poopy" and "[director] did everything that is bad about the movie on purpose because they are evil". I think in Lucas' case the former view has clearly won, just because people for a while were in love with the mental image of Lucas as this awkward bumbling fool who couldn't direct a horse to water without his wife.

It's kind of difficult to claim he loves fascism whem he has Fascist Satan as a bad guy. On the other hand, Star Wars' legacy includes millions of children wearing Sturmtruppen t-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

There's something about Zack Snyder that just blinds people. I mean, i get disliking someone's films, but people go out of their way to misread films, statements, scenes...even individual lines of dialogue. It's become a performative thing to prove that you hate Snyder more than anyone else. It's just bizarre. I just had a reminder on my facebook feed of people saying Sucker Punch's action scenes were so badly shot they gave people motion sickness. Whatever you feel about Sucker Punch...that's just not true.

It's performative culture war bullshit. Some people read 300 as stupid and racist, so Zack Snyder became the guy making stupid racist movies. And the more movies he makes, the more evidence you can find that he's stupid and racist.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
To be fair to folks, 'the Fountainhead is only about architects and loving, and also Ayn Rand's work isn't even that political and also she's a good storyteller' is a wildly idiotic take, so I get why people think that could be disingenuous.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Anyone that says Rand is a good writer should be hit with Atlas shrugged in the ribs.Even our Boi Zack

On the other hand if he unleashes some insane Napoleon movie I'll buy like 50 tickets and cry fat tears of joy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dreqqus posted:

To be fair to folks, 'the Fountainhead is only about architects and loving, and also Ayn Rand's work isn't even that political and also she's a good storyteller' is a wildly idiotic take, so I get why people think that could be disingenuous.

No, what he's saying is that the appeal is the torrid melodrama and not the lame politics, which is absolutely true. Also what he's specifically referring to is his adaptation, not her book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 23, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only possible way the Fountainhead will be good is if instead of an architect he's a film director making a blockbuster superhero film and every single time the character says or does anything he turns and stares unblinkingly into the camera

Even during the rape scene, which will have the climax of MoS in the background

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dreqqus posted:

That’s not what he said, though. He didn’t say The Fountainhead is only about architecture and loving, he said that’s the main appeal of the book to him, and then talked about Rand’s politics saying she “drank her own Kool-aid.” Between that and the “we need a new president so we can stop taking things so seriously” thing, the best criticism you could have of this interview is that he’s honestly not critical enough but he definitely still is, which is what makes these liberal YouTube critics insisting he’s a fascist objectivist jock who loves rape look so off-base.

I mean, I like him, but I’m also realistic that he’s a hyper-Christian white dude who got where he is at least in part due to his privilege. The fact that he comes out of all this as a leftist at all says a lot about his character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

There's something about Zack Snyder that just blinds people. I mean, i get disliking someone's films, but people go out of their way to misread films, statements, scenes...even individual lines of dialogue. It's become a performative thing to prove that you hate Snyder more than anyone else. It's just bizarre. I just had a reminder on my facebook feed of people saying Sucker Punch's action scenes were so badly shot they gave people motion sickness. Whatever you feel about Sucker Punch...that's just not true.
My read on it is that Snyder is a visual storyteller who doesn't inject expository dialogue and an obvious point of view into the narrative. This is confounding to people who are accustomed to run-of-the-mill superhero movies, and absolutely enraging to geeks who watch movies to become canon curators or judge them according to some weird standard of quasi-realism.

Granted, Mad Max: Fury Road is the rare blockbuster that actually tells the story through the visuals and never insults the viewer's intelligence with lame exposition. Then again, it wasn't wildly successful, and Max Rockatansky doesn't carry the same baggage as Batman.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Snowman_McK posted:

It's not specific to Snyder, it's that large swaths of internet culture think that making distinctions between different kinds of badness is somehow apologetics. Liking Rand's politics and ignoring them to focus on the melodrama are both bad things, and so they are identical.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The obvious criticism is that apolitical stances are defacto reactionary but you can't make that criticism, because guess what else it indicts.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Lucas is a very good call although even in his case they seem to think he's just a big lucky idiot instead of an evil fascist. Michael Bay is probably another similar one although, again, there doesn't seem to be a contingent who thinks he is an evil person to my knowledge (although maybe I'm not looking in the right places).

Michael Bay is a dick, which does make me question the intent of his movies, even if the result does say something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There are a number of filmmakers who, like Michael Bay, have an eye for culturally resonant imagery, resulting in an artistic statement and politics that arises naturally from the material rather than being an expression of an authorial thesis. Jodorowsky personifies this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

By Cease to Hope's logic, the Mongol Empire was a refugee migration.
And so was Generalplan Ost

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

McCloud posted:

A woman I follow on Twitter, Donnia Harrington, interviewed Snyder for her MFA thesis. It's an interey read:

https://comicbookdebate.com/2019/05/20/exclusive-an-interview-with-zack-snyder/

It's neat, give it a read

Thanks for sharing this, I was leery about a nerd-site writer, but she's actually pretty good https://comicbookdebate.com/2019/05/20/the-women-in-zack-snyders-films/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That article about Snyder's female characters is really good. I would have appreciated some more jabs at Whedon, but I guess that wasn't in the scope of the article.

Here's another article that got posted today in relation to how Brightburn treats Snyder's Superman as the definitive modern take on the character.

Edit: Ah yeah, head's up, it contains some Brightburn spoilers.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 24, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Detective No. 27 posted:

That article about Snyder's female characters is really good. I would have appreciated some more jabs at Whedon, but I guess that wasn't in the scope of the article.

Here's another article that got posted today in relation to how Brightburn treats Snyder's Superman as the definitive modern take on the character.

That's a really good article. I haven't seen Brightburn yet, so I didn't read those parts in depth. However, it does a good job of highlighting how much of a gentle soul Zack made Clark. People made a big stink about the destruction his fight with Zod caused, but that was a Superman still figuring out his powers and being forced to deal with someone who is just as strong as him without his compassion.

gently caress, I love Man of Steel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's a really good article. I haven't seen Brightburn yet, so I didn't read those parts in depth. However, it does a good job of highlighting how much of a gentle soul Zack made Clark. People made a big stink about the destruction his fight with Zod caused, but that was a Superman still figuring out his powers and being forced to deal with someone who is just as strong as him without his compassion.

gently caress, I love Man of Steel.

Yeah, it's Ferdinand the bull but with superpowers. It's a really well constructed scene.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s not what he said, though. He didn’t say The Fountainhead is only about architecture and loving, he said that’s the main appeal of the book to him, and then talked about Rand’s politics saying she “drank her own Kool-aid.” Between that and the “we need a new president so we can stop taking things so seriously” thing, the best criticism you could have of this interview is that he’s honestly not critical enough but he definitely still is, which is what makes these liberal YouTube critics insisting he’s a fascist objectivist jock who loves rape look so off-base.

I mean, I like him, but I’m also realistic that he’s a hyper-Christian white dude who got where he is at least in part due to his privilege. The fact that he comes out of all this as a leftist at all says a lot about his character.

The sense I got from that interview was not so much that he was a leftist, but rather that he's a completely milquetoast Hollywood liberal who just happens to be a really talented filmmaker.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
How have your guys gym days been?

Idk, I feel like I’ve been slacking, hopefully getting back on my sertraline regimen will help manage some of the anxiety I’m feeling and get me in the mindset to push more.

My brothers gym is having a team-oriented workout competition at the beginning of the month and I’m already signed up, so I need to get my head in the game. I also need to get one of those Snydercut charity shirts to see if I can find any true heads doing it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The sense I got from that interview was not so much that he was a leftist, but rather that he's a completely milquetoast Hollywood liberal who just happens to be a really talented filmmaker.

If the last part was what most people took away from that article, we wouldn't need this thread.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

K. Waste posted:

Idk, I feel like I’ve been slacking, hopefully getting back on my sertraline regimen will help manage some of the anxiety I’m feeling and get me in the mindset to push more.

My brothers gym is having a team-oriented workout competition at the beginning of the month and I’m already signed up, so I need to get my head in the game. I also need to get one of those Snydercut charity shirts to see if I can find any true heads doing it

I've recently given up standard deadlifts for sumo deadlifts because I'm built like a T-Rex (Long legs, short arms) and it feels good so far. I wish my gym had a trap bar though.

Sorry to hear about your anxiety issues, if you don't know already, consider looking into an anti-inflammatory diet (https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation) Obviously, I'm not saying that this is the only culprit, but it can help.

A Kenny Beats workout playlist is mandatory though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSLqHJzy6Y (Potentially NWS)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

K. Waste posted:

Really bad. Spring I have something disrupting my schedule at least once a week, whether it's the graduation ceremony or taking my mother to see Dr. Zhivago.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The argument can be made, but a lot of the content of Snyder’s films sit pretty solely in leftist but not liberal territory, without necessarily targeting liberals themselves. He has a common theme of war glory turning out to be bullshit that only leaves broken people behind, and the beginning of Man of Steel has an anti-capitalist streak, where Krypton’s society has been so automated that even birthing is in service of the economy, and that ultimately leads to the planet’s destruction. (Was that a thing in the comics? I thought the original story was just that a meteor was about to hit.)

So you could say that Snyder is just a liberal but his movies are leftist, which would make sense. But the real target of my ire here are the YouTube critics who continue to insist that obviously everyone who says good things about Snyder’s movies is a fascist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you seek his man meat look around you

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

KVeezy3 posted:

I've recently given up standard deadlifts for sumo deadlifts because I'm built like a T-Rex (Long legs, short arms) and it feels good so far. I wish my gym had a trap bar though.

Sorry to hear about your anxiety issues, if you don't know already, consider looking into an anti-inflammatory diet (https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation) Obviously, I'm not saying that this is the only culprit, but it can help.

A Kenny Beats workout playlist is mandatory though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSLqHJzy6Y (Potentially NWS)

Nice, thanks for the links.

Sumo deadlifts or great but I need to get a pair of shin covers. That bar is murder if you roll it into your legs.

Halloween Jack posted:

Really bad. Spring I have something disrupting my schedule at least once a week, whether it's the graduation ceremony or taking my mother to see Dr. Zhivago.

Dr. Zhivago not a bad trade off for a gym day.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Violator posted:

Anything super interesting lately? I keep up with his Vero photo posts but don’t see a lot of his comments.
Nothing in particular. Mainly just him confirming a lot of rumours that he already touched on in the Q&A session that was live streamed. Like he said that yes, he filmed a mid-credits scene with two Lanterns in Bruce Wayne’s bedroom. Although one thing he never does is disclose who he cast in the various roles.

K. Waste posted:

Sumo deadlifts or great but I need to get a pair of shin covers. That bar is murder if you roll it into your legs.
Speaking of the gym, Snyder posted this today with the caption “6:00am”.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 26, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently Cyborg’s dad died in Snyder’s JL.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It's hard to picture him (or anyone non-superpowered) surviving Steppenwolf in a cut that doesn't associate heroics as a 'saving all the kitties from all the trees' fantasy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Truely inspirational.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBFjpE1BaXk&t=1101s

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I also posted these in the general comic book discussion thread. Snyder posted a couple of shots from his JL today.

A young Darkseid using the Anti-Life Equation

Victor Stone being projected inside the Motherbox.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

https://twitter.com/rehsifyar/status/1140393876907352064?s=19

gently caress, WB did Cyborg so dirty

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

that's such a good shot. especially how it's specifically hiding the cyborg parts of him, which would likely make the moment when reality comes back into focus all the more heartbreaking

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

I also posted these in the general comic book discussion thread. Snyder posted a couple of shots from his JL today.

A young Darkseid using the Anti-Life Equation

Victor Stone being projected inside the Motherbox.

I wish we got this movie :negative:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snyder said in the JL trailer when you hear someone scream "Barry!" that's when Cyborg is projected inside the Motherbox. It happens after the League's first attempt at time travel and the burst of energy from the resulting attempt is what causes Cyborg to be projected into the mother box.

Also, someone told Snyder that he should be posting this stuff on Reddit and Twitter to get mainstream media attention and to get people to realize what his vision was.

His reply:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

Snyder said in the JL trailer when you hear someone scream "Barry!" that's when Cyborg is projected inside the Motherbox. It happens after the League's first attempt at time travel and the burst of energy from the resulting attempt is what causes Cyborg to be projected into the mother box.

Also, someone told Snyder that he should be posting this stuff on Reddit and Twitter to get mainstream media attention and to get people to realize what his vision was.

His reply:

:kimchi:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

His reply:

We never deserved Zack

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

His reply:

Was there even time travel in the theatrical JL? I don’t remember.

Thanks for posting this here. :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Violator posted:

Was there even time travel in the theatrical JL? I don’t remember.

Thanks for posting this here. :)
Nope that was all taken out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dreqqus posted:

Calling Ayn Rand apolitical would be bad, but Snyder explicitly calls Rand extremely political: “she’s always said story first, not regarding her politics. But it was easy for her to fall victim to her own popularity, she drank her own Kool-Aid.”

In Synder's view, Rand tried to be a truthful artist, merely depicting these outrageous hyper-libertarian caricatures, but ended up gazing into the abyss too long. Basically irony poisoning.

His point is that The Fountainhead isn't "hardcore right wing propaganda", supporting the Trump regime or whatever, because it's far more stridently pro-capitalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah, and it's a perfect example of something that satirizes itself in spite of it's authour's intentions. Like 300