Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I say this literally every time but the movie opens with a pile of dead baby skulls while some dude drones on about honor and glory and then shows kids beating the poo poo out of each other and then the "cool" part kicks in, and then the movie ends with "and you've been listening to a Spartan bullshitting you" and if you still think they're cool after that that's kinda on you. Now here comes the part where you say "well not me, I was able to pick up on all that, but 300 is dealing in Dangerous Ideas that the average person can't handle" and it's like, the average person watched the movie, enjoyed the action, and never thought about it again. Only tubby right-wing chuds ever brought it up again and let's face it - our society does not lack in fascist ephemera for those types to grab onto, if it wasn't 300 they would have moved the clock back a decade or two and used Starship Troopers or some Rambo knock-off. Can just see some fat fuckin' neckbeard in an undersized tactical vest and spray-painted black bike helmet calling minorities "bugs" instead of "cucks".

The thing is I've never actually encountered that hypothetical unironic 300 fascist fanboy. I mean contrast with say The Punisher, Fight Club, The Matrix for franchises fasci really did latch on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

A far as "the only satisfying end for Batman is for him to give up being Batman but the business means we can't have that" stories go, Azbat ditching the bat-baggage on his crawl up from a metaphorical grave is a good one.

I had the Batman: Knightfall audio play as a kid (on cassette, jesus) and this is the bit I always remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCBc1Gxo-M&t=10132s

Also listening to it again its obvious how much Jean Paul valley is just Bruce only slightly more off the deep end. The end with him going backwards up the cave is so great.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 1, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It kinda makes sense since that’s how everyone beats dragons or armoured beasts in fantasy stories- go for the eye.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its such a weird loving move to open with a scene thats a snyder...tribute? Ripoff? Pastiche? And then completely butcher the rest of his movie.

Mantis42 posted:

I think that's a common sound editing thing, it's just that the Snyder version changed the pitch(?) to make it less obvious.

Yeah, stuff like using household objects with a mic on them to make foley noise. It's meant to be a rush of air, but the end of the growl being kept in makes it obvious its a panther because air doesen't change pitch like that on its own. The fixed version pitch shifts and trunicates it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What I don't get bout MoS is how everyone who hates it seems to see a couple lines from Pa Kent as like, the thesis of the movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I don't know what this is or why you posted it without summary and I'm not spending half an hour watching a YouTuber talk to camera to figure out.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

It’s funny because I understand WB marketing getting antsy over it, but they did it in as weird a way as possible. “We have toys to sell to children from the cartoon’” is reasonable. “Heroes don’t eat pussy,” is bizarre. Especially since the Affleck and Keaton versions were clearly implied to have gotten laid during the movies’ runtimes. Kilmer’s version maybe too, I don’t remember Forever very well.

The HQ cartoon is very definitely an 18+ Mature Cartoon show in general though. its not about sex its specifically about Batman going down.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Deleted, what did they say?

Female stunt worker being replaced for male despite the part they were playing being of totally indeterminate gender.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Still the best story Kevin Smith has ever told including his entire career as person paid to write stories.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This is a weird quirk about some abusive personalities- theyre not always completely lacking in self awareness, they have glimmers of it but just not enough to like, do anything about it. Rather it becomes wrapped up in this self image that theyre a dark, complex person.

I follow a feed of lovely dating site profiles and its amazing the amount of guys who straight up come out with "I have a personality disorder and I will probably gently caress you up lol"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Violator posted:

And that misguided critique continued with his Watchman where for some reason people still claim his adaption “misses the point” of the comic with how he changed the ending.

That take really gets me just because of how amazingly dumb someone would have to be to miss the point of Watchmen. I mean yeah theres a lot in there, but the basic premise isnt that deep. People who go "Snyder didn't get it was a satire/He thought Roscharch was the good guy" are suggesting that this person liked the comic enough to devote 18 months of his life adapting it but was that droolingly, unable to tie his own shoes stupid.

Also Roscharch gets the best lines, a sympathetic backstory and a bunch of the most super hero-ey moments in the original comic. At no point is he treated like an unambiguously evil clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To me TDK has always seemed like a very deliberate answering of the question of if he kills or not.

Will he kill if the joker is right there at his mercy and defenceless? No.

Will he kill if there’s a literal gun to a baby’s head? Yes.