Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I like Zack Snyder movies.

As someone who's battled with depression I appreciate his and Deb's charitable contributions to organizations related to suicide and raising awareness in general.

It was terrible reading about his daughters struggle and I cant imagine the pain their family went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Clark doesn't struggle with how to help people in the movie I saw. He always does exactly what is necessary to save everyone he can in every scene, except for the tornado, where he doesn't go back in for no clear reason despite the fact that he obviously could at little risk.

He doesn't save his dad specifically because hes told not to, by his dad, because of his dad's fear what people will think of Clark. It's very clear in the movie.

The gap between childhood Clark saving the bus to "almost" adult Clark not using his powers in the tornado scene is distinct for a reason. Hes internalized that fear his dad is constantly displaying.

His adult power uses are shown as something he tries to hide from. It is very much a personal struggle for him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

This is an argument that Clark struggles with inaction, not the argument other people were making about about how Clark struggles with how to help people.

However, the problem with inaction struggle theories is not this scene, but the fact that we already know Clark has rejected inaction, from the beginning of the movie. He never acts fearfully and we never get the feeling that he has anything to fear.

His father's argument isn't very effective to me. I don't get a good idea of what it is he's afraid of. I can see how you'd take that Clark's inactions reflects his father's fear, but what that fear is seems underdeveloped, and is also noticeably undermined the by the fact that we already know Clark can (and will!) save people without being found because he already has, repeatedly, in this movie.

I thought his father's argument was fleshed out just fine, given the conversation he has with Clark following the bus scene. If it didnt work for you, it didnt work for you, but his father's fear is made perfectly clear in the movie.

Imo, the question of the movie is not "will Clark/Superman save people?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The review about the acting is beautiful

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fart City posted:

Why is it that the people who claim MoS’ portrayal of Superman is ill-conceived and tainted by the personality of the director never seem to have anything to say about Superman Returns, which features a stalking deadbeat dad Superman who abandons earth for like five years, and is directed by Bryan loving Singer.

Poor Brandon Routh

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What if I like snyder movies but also think making fountainhead is loving stupid as hell?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Based on how his adaptations of Watchmen and 300 worked out, how about--bear with me here--we wait until the movie is out and people watch it before deciding what the politics of the film are or whether or not it's good

It's possible to like a movie and dislike its source material

Lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Goyer liked the idea and wrote the scene.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It got missed because other quotes got more headlines but Jackie Earle Haley said something during the Watchmen Q&A on this topic, basically comparing your average superhero movie to your average police movie/drama and saying how funny it is that heroes get harangued, both within the context of the show and outside of it, to make sure they're never using lethal force, meanwhile cops (IRL and in shows) are shooting anything that moves and remaining popular among the larger viewing audience.

U got quotes for this? Just wanna see what he said

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Equeen posted:

There’s an io9 article spreading around on Twitter, with the “wake the gently caress up” quote as a headline, and people are getting pressed lol. Why is it so important for Batman not to kill, but super similar characters can get away a massive body count?

Ya know.. this is the one that really does bug me when these discussions come up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Isn't that the guy who said "no one noticed the major character who died in Suicide Squad' and then when everyone asked if he meant Diablo he just left the thread?

And also the "the family in front of zod died and superman snapped his neck for no reason"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

oh right that too

I even liked Dan's YouTube about suicide squads messy editing (and other videos) even if I was more forgiving about it than others because I enjoyed the characters. So to see him come up with some real bad takes then booking it out was weird.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/1110636209724932096?s=19

Then come save him with your elite Twitter film analysis

Inb4 the rorshach quote about whispering no

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I'm curious to know what would lose Hbomb more subscribers. A Zack Snyder video that's positive or his Star Wars Prequel defense video.

Until we get a sonic video for every piece of sonic media hbomb isnt allowed to analyze other media

I dont make the rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mother fucker wants to accuse me of not making the argument right but wont show up.

Yeah what a clown.

Like even if I dont agree with you mel, I appreciate you showing up (plus your a solid poster on SA)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The kids like the prequels. They finally are able to say it without a bunch of olds coming in and whining as much.

Somewhere rlm started crying and doesnt know why.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Their TFA video was about this phenomenon.

Crying and not knowing why? Or the wave of younger gens liking prequels?

Equeen posted:

Also, lol at whining about a small movie forum on twitter.

Posting on the nazi social media site to own sa

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I did enjoy finding out because Batman doesnt kill he locked a person who is immortal unless killed in a barrel in space forever as the dude is begging to just be killed rather than experience an eternity of being trapped in a barrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xvr_ojJWE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

My superheroes are totally ethical.

Snyder just doesn't get what the DCU is all about.

Holy moly lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Okay.

Same for y'all with the tweets you're going after, right?

Nah I ain't helping nazi jack get paid

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

The concept of live-tweeting a thread from our dead gay forums is very sad, but its definitely a step up from finding out about this and shouting "debate me Jay Allen, you coward!".

As the poster making the "come save mel" post, I'll cop to it sounding petty, but eh, whatever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

This forum doesn't have a great track record with bigotry either, especially in regards to mental illness, but the whole internet treats that poo poo like it's up for grabs I guess.

Eh. I made my point.

Yeah the ableism on SA gets tiring to read

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wb CtH

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yes but he is also instigating the conflict by stealing from a legal delivery of legal cargo

He is quite literally robbing a convoy. It would be like declaring shooting a violent bank robber mid-robbery to be an aggressive act

"Legal" delivery by pmcs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

thats irrelevant to the point

We're criminals, Alfred. We've always been criminals. Nothing's changed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Not really, Lex Corp runs an illegal side op with sciences and weird poo poo. Batman sniffed it out and is taking it down.

It's like taking down a mafia courier stealing gold. But oh no, its so legal - they sell wine!

Rereading Mels point I do agree it's an act of aggression on batman's part.

I just dont have a problem with batfleck robbing them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what evidence is there that the shipment is illegal?

Why would it be illegal to ship a mineral no one knows exists in the first place?

He specifically pushes to get an import license from the two senators. The one skeevy politician who actually eats candy out of lexs hand agrees and the one that doesnt.. well.. she gets something else.

It's illegal to transport potentially hazardous materials into the country without an import license. Which kryptonite fell under since it's a new element.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grtv1_PNPU

Not the exact same but the similarity made me chuckle.

E: jump to 35 secs or so. Cant get it to embed with the time code for some reason.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Had to pick the clip with benny hill music lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wrong thread but man Prometheus may be the most prominent example of characters acting not as agents but as slaves to a narrative outcome

the only competition is ironically Covenant, which leads to me believe Ridley Scott no longer understands how human beings work

Uh oh... I like those movies, lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jls zombie superman is real bad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

The "THIS IS SPARTA" scene would've owned if Gerard Butler's hog was flapping around in slow mo while he delivered that kick to the chest.

Cgid hog is what actually hits the dude into the hole

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wow tweets from 2017? I didnt know there was internet back then.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Other, too metal for the bible, bible stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RERGlWWoIvA

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

He would've definitely had the personification of Death show up.

With tons of panty shots of course.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Uh, no. That's not actually a thing he's known for.

:ssh:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They paved paradise 
And put up a parking lot 

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The product placement was awful. Shutting down an ep for new coke made me wanna turn it off

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Violator posted:

"This was never finished all the way"

I guess this shows what state chunks of the FX would be in for his cut.

I watched the wolverine workprint, I'd be fine with a jl one tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think it's from the titans show