Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I love Zack’s DC movies.

I have this weird thing where Man of Steel is an extremely personal film for me.

So, my dad was a pilot and the idea of a “man who can fly” was always cool to him. I showed him the original trailer for MoS (the Terrance Mallorca style one) and he was really excited to see it. Then, about ten days before it released, my dad died of a heart attack. Devastating. My friends took me to see it knowing I loved Zack Snyder, and I was absolutely not prepared for some of the stuff in the film. I also need to say that I am from Kansas, around Kansas City. My dad was a huge Royals fan and they would go on to the World Series the next season, but the game they played that night they beat Tampa 10-1, so watching Clark’s “dream showdown” with Zod where he is wearing a Royals jersey was super cool. Especially the connotation that inside his own head, Clark Kent’s ideal vision of himself is wearing a Royals jersey.

But watching his dad die and not being to help, a place I felt very much in at that time, was the real kicker. It’s the feeling that will never go away. I’m probably the only person in the world who chokes up about a Superman movie, but there it is. Later my brother told he basically can’t watch the movie because the “dad poo poo” as he puts it, is too much.

Man of Steel is loving radical and my dad would’ve loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I watched the 3 hour cut of BvS last night and it's still good.

I just adore the part where Bats is all "Do you bleed?" and Superman just looks at him like, "what in the gently caress is your deal, goddamn"

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I want to see Rogue One as a pure war movie. I remember one of the original themes they talked about was "the rebels are just as dirty about this poo poo as the empire" but it only ever kinda came through half way

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

McSpanky posted:

That part sounds pretty good but this

just sounds like more pseudo-deconstructionist moral equivalency propablanda.

I mean, usually I'd agree with you, because I typically hate it too, but it's a fairly unique take within the Star Wars universe, or at least the parts of Star Wars most people interact with. Otherwise, yeah I usually hate the "both sides are bad" stuff, but it was fun to see the rebels as people willing to get their hands dirty. Also, as dirty as you make the Rebels, whatever amount of bad stuff you attach to them I don't think you can ever raise them to the level of evil achieved by the villains being eternal telekinetic space Nazis, so there's that too.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

McSpanky posted:

That's fair, I guess it really just depends on the tone. Like, "the Empire's brutality batters us down and we struggle to stay ourselves while doing what it takes to survive" is a different thing from "hey did you know the heroes do bad things too, maybe there are no heroes :smug:". I'm so over the latter but the former is one of the archetypal war themes and would've made a great throughline.

That first bit is really what I was thinking of, but I guess I wasn't as elegant in expressing that thought as you lol, thanks

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
#ReleaseTheSubwayCut

edit: but seriously, even it doesn't get released the fact that whole movement is dedicated to things like, feeding the homeless and helping with suicide prevention is like, real superhero poo poo.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Zack Snyder actually makes good movies, sorry

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Being a huge fan of Italian renaissance painters really helps your love Zack Snyder

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
That dude seems to be under the impression that Joss Whedon was part of the production from the beginning.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Also WW84 looks ssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

I was deffo dealing with an ill-informed broke brain.

"I have people waiting for me in League" is all the confirmation I need to know this dude is a shithead

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

McCloud posted:

I wasn't too fond od the color saturation, and her eagle suit looked a wee bit silly, but gently caress me if the scene of her riding the lightning isn't worth the price of admission on its own

She literally "rides the lightning".

So insanely loving cool.

I'm ok with the saturation tbh, it is supposed to take place in the 80s after all

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 9, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
lol hell yeah

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Wisecracking and extremely competent US Marshall from "The Fugitive" is one of his best roles

Harrison Ford, wild eyed, nearly foaming at the mouth: "I DIDN'T KILL MY WIFE!"

Tommy Lee Jones, calm, cool, maybe a bit damp: "I don't care."

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
"The (badmitton) Force is strong with this one."

Also, of course Snyder's favorite would be Empire :allears:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Snyder's got a pretty dope custom weightlifting belt:

I didn't realize his middle name was "Effron"

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

The Hunted is loving great. It's a really impressively stripped down movie. If i was teaching a screenwriting class, i'd point to it as a film that's made memorable by how much is cut from it, alongside 'The Way of the Gun'

Also, the Homesman is a good, weird little western. I'm not sure that Cormac McCarthy's work should be adapted to the big screen, but the Homesman has a lot of the stuff that makes McCarthy's stuff work.

Way of the Gun is one of my all time favorites. The scene when James Caan calls up the old hitman guy who is playing Russian roulette with a dozen guns and a pillowcase is wild.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It’s just hilarious to me that somehow people just never realized that the dude who’s first movie was DAWN OF THE DEAD BEFORE ZOMBIES WERE POPULAR followed by 300, and DC movies, has a known love for the sport of uh... badminton, vocally loves Star Wars, And has been long known as super nice guy and great to with work, is actually a huge dork just because he once also said he likes to stay in shape. Sometimes I forget misanthropic nerd culture is an extremely small slice of the world

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

They could go to the gym.

body fascism

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I think he mentions something about being in international waters to Deathstroke, which as we all know means that the police can't catch him.

Death stroke has to sign on with the Legion of Doom, because of the implication

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It’s kinda funny about the homosexual thing since there’s literally a character in the film portrayed as wonderful person who is a gay atheist who plays the organ for a church lmao

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I think this settles the argument

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Violator posted:

https://vero.co/p/z-6kMkBSf7fFQcBK8dnsSFxC

Yeah, this is definitely getting announced on Wednesday.

Man I wish I could have watched the Chiefs win the Super Bowl with this guy. I’ll bet it would have been an absolute blast.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Violator posted:

OK, this is super weird but I thought it was interesting. This house was just posted on a lifestyle blog I follow as a featured project from the architecture firm. Although it doesn't mention his name, I'm 99.9% certain it's Snyder's house because it looks like the photos from his Vero that he posted of it being designed and built and it has his car in the photo that was in BvS.

https://uncrate.com/lr2-house/
http://www.montalbaarchitects.com/project/?Project_id=3059

Certain aspects remind me a lot of Bruce Wayne's house and bat cave in BvS.

This makes me feel like a weird groupie and am a little uncomfortable with that. :O Weird timing, too.

Zack Snyder gets to live in a dream house from GTA V

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
When I saw that the Snyderdome had 199 unread posts when I woke up, I knew it was real.

HOLY poo poo ITS REAL

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

I don't understand how anyone can not be excited for this either expecting a good movie or a dumpster fire.

But Snyder fans are evil and love the bad orange man you see

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m watching BvS extended tonight

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The greatest thing Zack ever did for Superman was confirm that he’s a Jayhawks fan and not a Wildcats fan. I enjoyed rubbing that in my KState friends’ faces lol

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Jessie Eisenberg is so unhinged in this movie and I love it. The Jolly Rancher scene is so skin crawling.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Gatts posted:

Guys guys long term vision...Snydercut succeeds and we get Snyder JL trilogy

#PausedNotStopped

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

This is the weakest poo poo.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I got to see Fury Road Black and Chrome at the draft house, great stuff. I can imagine with how rich all of Snyder’s visuals are that would lend it well to this too.

edit: Oh poo poo the team up against Doomsday just started.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

I still somehow wished BvS' marketing would've withheld Gal Gadot's reveal as Wonder Woman. Play it up that she's Catwoman instead with some misdirection in the trailers/previews. She even has the thief-specific lines with Bruce to throw everyone off. And then when the film comes out, and we get to the scene where Bruce finds the photo and everyone would've been like "whaaat the fuuuuck."

Yeah but that would’ve been hard to keep under wraps I think.

I more wish they would’ve held off on showing Doomsday.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It’s cool how Bruce just mostly just watches the fight other than noob tubing him a couple of times.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Im half convinced Zack secretly grew up in Kansas with all the Jayhawks and Royals references in the series, plus the close up of that absolutely perfect green bean casserole at the end of this one.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh man, I’m glad Cirian Hinds in coming back for this. He’s one my favorite actors.

I remember when The Sum of All Fears came out I heard an NPR interview with him about how he took Russian courses so that he could properly deliver all his lines in actual Russian rather than just with a goofy accent.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

The film will end with Snyder waking up, rolling out of bed, thinking for a moment, then grabbing a piece of paper and starting to write.

The last shot is a slow zoom in until you can see the top of the page - "MARVEL'S AVENGERS"

How about pull out to show a young autistic boy in the middle of Kansas holding a snow globe

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno if that counts since it's different studios and no returning actors, as well as it being public domain and there being other adaptations in between.

I remember The Odd Couple 1 and 2 had the longest gap for a while but I'm sure something has overtaken it by now.

How about Top Gun (1986) and Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Please don’t take this from me. I have nothing left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Well there is that part in BvS where Perry does actually make the connection. When things are going to poo poo and he asks, once again where Clark is, Lois just kind of gives him a look and he’s clearly like, “Oh, Clark is out saving the world, got it.”

Perry is great. “The WPA doesn’t exist anymore. Apples don’t cost a nickel!”