Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Man of Steel being a sci-fi movie about an alien finding his way on Earth, drawing as much from, like, Starman as it does previous Superman works, is one of its big strengths.

I love Man of Steel for that reason, I bought it on UHD recently and it's just a really fun rewatch with all kinds of different weird sci-fi things happening. Superman aside, actually a legitimately good piece of science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slutitution posted:

Paul W.S. Anderson's films are much more entertaining than Snyder's. Each Resident Evil film has more commentary going on than all of Snyder's films put together.

I don't agree, but even if I did agree that Anderson's have more to say, they still look like poo poo visually compared to Snyder. The only thing Anderson's ever made that I enjoyed just on a visual level was Event Horizon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Isn't Suckerpunch super dense with subtext, but everyone reads it at face value?

I'd have to rewatch to really feel certain but my first reaction is ehhhhhhhhhh no.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more I think about and rewatch Man of Steel the more I love it so I'm a Snyder fan just for that movie alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Jls zombie superman is real bad

Watching it for the first time I had no idea what they were going for, the way it was written combined with the way Cavill played those scenes was just weird and confusing. Since then I've rewatched the movie and a rewatch did not help make those scenes any less confusing.

Like, Cavill has this really maniacal face on when he says "Do you bleed?", to the point that it's comical. Then 3 seconds later he's completely himself again because he saw Lois? But also not really? I dunno it was hard to tell considering he barely got any screentime except to throw a few punches at Doomsday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hard for me to understand how someone can watch Man of Steel and not think it's

A. Interesting as hell

B. An extremely good looking film to boot

Those two things put it head and shoulders above almost any other comic book movie out there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The decision to waste a movie on Steppenwolf, while mentioning Darkseid's name just once, was a huge mistake. I think what tripped them up was they were going for something similar to the first Avengers film, but didn't take into account the fact that Hiddleston's Loki was already established in the universe and was very popular with fans. So even though Thanos didn't really come into play directly, there was still another primary villain to focus on and Loki didn't need to be established as a villain and then defeated all in one movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Establishing two major new players AND a new villain in the very first Justice League movie was always going to be a tough task, but yea bringing in a director who hated said characters sure didn't help.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really need to get around to watching Excalibur, I've had it on my list for months now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

Starship Troopers isn't even read as a damning satire now. I've seen plenty of far-right nerds discussing how "if this is satire it failed because I'm not sure whats wrong with what it depicts".

They assume they'd be the Rico of their own movie, instead of the dude who hid in the closet and then got splattered by a flying bug, or the guy who gets torn to pieces like 5 minutes into their first mission after boot camp.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

When was the public re-evaluation of Starship Troopers as a satire? 9/11? Iraq invasion?

I'm not sure you can point to a specific event, Starship Troopers was a very regularly played on cable t.v. in the years after it's release so I think it just happened gradually as more and more people revisited it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

I wonder if MoS and BvS would have been better received if they came out now

For what reason? It's not like they came out 30 years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't part of it too that Dr. Manhattan wrongly thinks that his inability to see past a certain point in the future is caused by a nuclear blast? If I remember correctly that's a key part of Ozymandias' manipulation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LOL Ben just tossed in the garbage once again. What a life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Keaton is a great Bruce Wayne.

He's great fun to watch but the only flaw is that he's clearly nuts. I doubt anyone could spend more than 5 minutes with Keaton's Bruce Wayne and not think "this guy is weird, I wonder what he's hiding?"

Martman posted:

Nice to see some other Val Kilmer fans

I like Kilmer's Batman but I think the movie surrounding him is the worst one. It's kinda caught in the middle between Burton and full-Schumacher and I enjoy Batman & Robin more because Schumacher just let go and went completely wild in that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dreqqus posted:

The end of Nocturnal Animals devastated me, like I'm choking up as a type this and I haven't seen it since the year it came out. Nothing in the MCU has had that sort of effect on me.

The only thing that really gets me emotionally in the MCU is Tony and his daughter and the "I love you 3000" thing. Of course, come to find out that RDJ took that from his actual relationship with his daughter so no wonder it stands out from the rest of the writing in the MCU.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

What was wrong with what Scorsese said?

If anything I think maybe he could've been more specific instead of leaving it up to others interpretation what he meant.

I feel like if you asked Scorsese whether genre films and genres that have traditionally been considered b-level can be considered real cinema, he would say absolutely yes. I don't think his point was about high vs. low art, it was more about this specific type of formulaic blockbuster that's become so prevalent. The fact that they so rarely offer anything new, that the audience is not very likely to come out of them with any sort of new experience. But he used a term, something along the lines of "amusement park films" that just wasn't specific enough and had people trying to parse his words and interpret what he really meant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a lot of nostalgia for The 13th Warrior because I was like 13 or 14 when it came out and I'd never seen an adventure movie like that with serious rated-R violence. The early scene where they get attacked in the cave and one dude's head just gets sawed off was pretty mind-blowing for me at the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A lot of people don't seem to realize that a filmmaker would probably have to try harder to make a truly hollow "turn your brain off" movie. It's just not how artists typically work, there's usually a tendency to have ideas and then try to convey those ideas in the film, even if it's a superhero movie made for mass audiences. Putting themes and philosophies and political ideas into film is really the default position.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

Just flicking through the page and finding out that there was a discussion about the overlap between Nazis and Snyder fans.

Truly deranged stuff.

There's overlap between Nazis and a lot of stuff these days. There's Nazis everywhere the eye can see, it's a bit of a problem.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Who's the guy who was sure Superman roasted the family at the end of MoS?

lol what

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it's just something where you're kinda trained from watching movies your whole life that if something crazy like Superman incinerating an entire family is gonna happen, there won't be any question about it. The movie will make sure you know that Superman just killed that family.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Superman is tough because based on his almost unlimited power, any time he seems to actually put some force into a blow it seems like the guy should absolutely be dead, if he's a regular human. That's why he usually fights robots and aliens and such.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I feel like Justice League is a pretty nice looking film too up until the finale, where it becomes a red soupy mess. Both movies have that issue where they become drab and boring looking in the final act.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
All of Superman's interactions with the military are great in MoS. I also like the conversation at the end where he's just like "dude, I'm here to help but I'm gonna do what I think is right, and guess what you can't do anything about it so just relax", except he found a nice non-threatening Superman way to say it. Cavill really hit the perfect tone in that scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So forgive me if I'm asking something that's been answered a hundred times, I haven't been keeping up with this story.

In a 4 hour movie, how much of it is expected to be the same footage that was in the theatrical release? More than half? Hardly any? I know they did reshoots but I find it hard to believe they reshot the entire movie, so I assume there's gotta be a good chunk of this that will just be the same footage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be a weird experience then, I'm looking forward to it. Not often you get to see a completely alternate version of a movie with the same cast. Closest example I can think of is that Exorcist sequel where Renny Harlin and Paul Schrader each got to release their own version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has it been confirmed that the Snyder cut will get a physical release? I'm mentally ill so I own all of the other DC movies, it would be weird not to have this too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If he changed nothing except the stupid red glow that the entire last act is saturated with, I'd be happy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What clues to we have about where the new footage is? Like, is it mostly first and second act, then the finale is mostly unchanged outside of maybe new colorgrading, etc? Or do we just know the raw numbers of how much was added without any other details?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think Snyder mostly got poo poo for the running zombies because he was specifically remaking Dawn of the Dead, which was an iconic film that of course had the classic Romero shambling zombies.

It's funny how 28 Days Later had to do this whole thing with the story where no these aren't actually "zombies" these people have a "rage disease" that makes them sorta act like zombies but they run really fast! It's a lot of contrivance just to get around the fact that people thought zombies weren't supposed to run. These days there's been so many zombie stories of every possible variation that nobody cares about those distinctions anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Yeah, I got annoyed at that too. He just runs at a scary pace now and not like a clown. Same people probably don't know that Jason has screamed (2), laughed (3, multiple times), and out and out talked (9).

I kinda like his goofy running in Part 2 and Part 3. The reboot Jason is scary in it's own way but he's way more agile and athletic, which feels a bit less real to me. Like, reboot Jason moves the way a professional stuntman or an athlete would move, which can take me out of the movie a little bit in some moments.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the studios now see Snyder as like, too high profile in the sense that there's a ton of other directors you can hire where you aren't going to end up in a situation where his fanbase puts you in between a rock and a hard place and gets you publicly embarrassed. More trouble than he's worth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

He talks about satire around 23 minutes in.

Got to love the mealy mouthed, "it's different because I said so" take in regards to what constitutes satire between 300 and Starship troopers.

He says "well 300 isn't really satire like Starship Troopers because when you watch the movie you get a clear sense that the Spartans are the good guys and the Persians are the bad guys".

Yes, totally different from Starship Troopers where the enemy was literal giant bugs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Starship Troopers is a clever movie, but I hate people who pat themselves on the back for figuring out it's satire. It's not at all subtle, but there is a generation of online people who must have seen it when they were 13 and think they're geniuses for recognizing what Verhoeven was going for.

Personally I find it well made, but not enjoyable because it's 90 minutes of me sitting there going "yeah, I got it."

300 is apparently fascist because it has fit men it, and the Nazis also used in shape men in their propaganda.

I think Starship Troopers is perfectly enjoyable as a hyper violent creature feature, aside from just appreciating the satire. And maybe I was one of those 13 year olds who saw it when I didn't really understand what it was doing and so it's easy for me to slide back into that mindset of just watching it as a straightforward giant bug movie, but I really do enjoy it on that level.

And I think we're past the point where anyone is taking credit for understanding that it's a satire. It's the mainstream view now isn't it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The key thing with Starship Troopers was that it was not marketed as anything other than a straight-ahead action adventure movie. I have vivid memories of extensive behind the scenes documentaries that aired on t.v. leading up to it's release and they were 100% about the creature effects and how badass the movie was going to be.

Sure, of course there were people out there who understood what it was when they watched it but I think Verhoeven's trademark hyperviolence is what prevents a lot of people from understanding the satire until it's pointed out to them. And that definitely happened with Starship Troopers. Especially for anyone who saw it at a young age, all the people getting chopped up kinda distracts you from thinking too hard about anything else going on, and that's intentional.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My interest in the series will depend on whether Corey Stoll wears a ridiculous wig or not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

It's apparently an animated series so he can have whichever hair they like

lame

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The PR mistake aside, I also think that dumping Cavill because you want to do some sort of Superman Year 1 story is like the lamest possible reason. We just had a run of movies where we built Superman up to where he was in the Justice League fighting Darkseid, does anyone really want to go back to the origin story again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Keaton Batman incinerates a guy with the jets on the Batmobile