Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dawn of the dead slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dawn of the dead slaps

I forgot I posted this on the first page lol. Hell yea

Also I just got the bvs ultimate edition. I’m ready to accept this movie into my heart and go all in on the #SnyderCut

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Release the assembly cut

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Martman posted:

Nice to see some other Val Kilmer fans

🤝

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

roffels posted:

Can I enjoy both Snyder's films and the Last Jedi and be annoyed at fandom and critics for ruining things?

Yes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He argued that Marvel movies aren't cinema, aren't part of the artform, basically that they're not just bad but categorically distinct from the kind of movies he's making; that there's a sharp line in the sand where on one side there was a constant tension between artistic creation and studio demands, and on the other there is only giving people exactly what they want. He also cited auteur theory, more or less -- "the unifying vision of an individual artist" -- as something essential (his word) to cinema.

This is a dishonest portrayal of filmmaking; it's always been a profit-driven venture, to act like modern superhero movies are some kind of aberration from the norm is giving Hollywood way too much slack. It also conflates artistic integrity with the idea that the director is god. (I'm not hostile to this approach in itself -- I'd be a hypocrite if I were, a lot of my favorite films were directed by people with a reputation for tyranny and perfectionism on the set -- but casting it as the only way to do things is unreasonably limiting in such a collaborative medium.)

And the above is based on his subsequent clarifying remarks, the original interview went in even harder on how superhero movies can't be art and how they aren't trying to "convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being." Which is, again, badly misstating the problem; the MCU is absolutely concerned with conveying an emotional experience; it is, if anything, shockingly effective at getting its hooks in people for something so "cheap." But instead of getting into why something so shallow (and insidious) can still reach and affect people, he just denies it and claims it's nothing but spectacle.

Basically, for some reason, Scorsese doesn't seem comfortable going straight for the heart of the issue -- that the MCU movies are ideologically and aesthetically ugly. I don't really understand what's stopping him, but I dislike anything that obscures this, because it's hard enough to get people to engage with media seriously as it is.

Scorsese was right though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I forgot that they replaced the skulls on the monitors in the background of Barry’s home with a k-pop band.

That was the only part I liked about the justice league theatrical release lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don’t give a gently caress about these youtubers where the gently caress is the Snyder cut

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Imagine the thermonuclear takes that will detonate if the Snyder Cut shows up somewhere

The almost annoying people are already bitching about it today lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
its loving real baby

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That thread is bad. Goddamn

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I too have not watched the Whedon Justice League. Just clips here and there

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think it's great that they're getting some of these VFX houses some additional work during the COVID slowdown.

Completely agree with this!

quote:

The novel coronavirus struck, and Hollywood all but shut down in mid-March. Says Deborah, "People thought, 'It won’t be possible to ramp up, and that maybe this should go on the back burner.' But we said, 'No, this is the right time' because our visual effects houses that rely on so much are running out of work, so now is the time to be doing this." It also helped that many of those post facilities had held on to the original assets.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

Lmao, never change BSS movie thread. My internal response/mood to reactions like this basically amounts to the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTz-_xfUusg

Hell yeah dude

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lmao I know they did this for twitter marketing but this is hilarious

https://twitter.com/WBLooneyTunes/status/1263192969399676929

LETS GO indeed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.twitch.tv/rayfisher

Ray Fisher has been talking about the snyder cut for a bit on his twitch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol you know they're all going to say "Well I was right, it doesn't exist. They have to spend money to complete it." :smug:

lol yeah everyone's already doing this. They're going to keep moving goalpoasts lmfao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

Is moviebob the same dude who wrote an entire book about how super mario bros changed his life or is that another weird twitter guy?

Lol yes and it’s a loving weird book.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

:agreed: The #AlitaArmy #AlitaSequel folks are vocal enough to get a sequel on Disney+ imo. I'd settle for an ultra-violent anime series on Hulu too.

:hai:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

Never said that Snyder fans are CHUDS, but there are CHUDS that are Snyder fans because they think they’re sticking it to Marvel.

I enjoyed BvS, even if it’s a garbage fire. Might have been all the Detroit in it I appreciated though.

who loving cares dude

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its been a good day watching this all unfold and seeing the excitement that its real and going to happen. Gonna do a rewatch of MoS and BVS soon I think.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

PowerBeard posted:

But Moviebob was kinda right though. It didn't exist in a complete format and a load of it were animatics and notes. The studio spent about $30 million to make this happen.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=21

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everyone moving the goalposts and still being mad this version of the movie exists are never going to be happy.

Culture war poo poo is so tiring

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Sup my fellow Lefties who understand the power of words and phrasing.

Also have a molten hot take:

https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1263465476937703425
https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1263466039574175747

Bunch of entitled folks harassing everyone with different opinions for not getting a film that wasn't up to the standard of the previous two. Also similar to the entitled fanbase that got a game from a company that ACTIVELY LIED TO THEM up to a month before release. These folks need to learn the difference between entitlement and expectation. WB was using scenes in previews that didn't exist in the final cut of Justice League and were clearly shot by Snyder.

I left a diplomatic response. This is exactly like the whole "Bernie Bro" poo poo that exist to undermine an entire group of people and make them seem like insane, misogynistic men instead of a coalition of folks that come from all walks of life.

Lmao I just saw this tweet retweeted by a few game journalists. Always the same people

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dreqqus posted:

I think the WB execs ultimately got what they wanted out of the Whedon cut. Being out of touch and all, they didn't realize that DCEU fans didn't want a bad Marvel movie, that general movie goers don't want bad movies, and that a lot of them were already turned off by the first two movies and course correcting at number 3 is probably too late.

If you're pulling down a tidy profit, which as I understand it, MoS and BvS did, just release the movie in a state that people who liked the first two would enjoy. I'll never really understand how they managed to craft a movie that appeals to precisely no one.

Way too many people at the top actually do give a poo poo about comment and tweets on social media. Both from fans but also reviewers. They want to be praised everywhere constantly at all times like the marvel movies are.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder how many Cavill mustache shots are going to be in this cut.

Also I guess people are protesting this because culture wars?

They're annoyed that this grassroots movement that actually did do good things was able to get the attention of execs because in their minds its just a community of toxic people or whatever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
LMAO

https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1265685192792039424

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m sorry but no, the theatrical version is not better than the ultimate cut.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

I forgive you, but yes it is.

Like others have said, theatrical has more dreamy/nightmarish feel and ambiguity, which serves the themes and style better I think. The extended cut definitely has lots of excellent stuff but suffers from over-explaining every little thing and ends up feeling bloated.

They are both fine versions

I don't think there is anything wrong with explaining things. IMO the ambiguity in the theatrical version made things a lot more confusing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Birds of Prey isn't perfect but all of those "flaws" are the best parts of the movie and you're a complete loving dipshit with worthless opinions if you hated them

lol i guess

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I finally watched Justice League on hbo max since they're gonna remove it and goddamn it is just loving terrible. All the Whedon stuff is just so noticeably bad.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
300’s real crime was giving Gerard Butler a career

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
loving knew it. LETS GO RAY

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Time to bring back this classic from 2017

https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Agent Rush posted:

I said in another thread that I want to know just how bad Joss was, but it's also none of my business. I'm just sorry for the cast and crew that had to work in those conditions, they deserve better.

the Joss Whedon poo poo should be out there publicly so that people are warned about his behavior on set. like wtf

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 1, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Agent Rush posted:

I agree with this, victims coming forward is for their benefit rather than to satisfy my curiosity.

Also, not a dude, thanks.

my bad I apologize

https://twitter.com/AlanTudyk/status/1278399777307123712

Alan Tudyk NO ONE ASKED

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

UmOk posted:

I'm a bit confused on the Whedon thing. Hasn't it been out for a while that he is a piece of poo poo? Didn't that news come out before JL was released?

Before and After

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

Crossposting from the CineD Discord:

Can I get a link to the discord? I'm really interested in this!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i watched it. HYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Snyder owns