Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dream? That's a typical Tuesday for me. Elliot Abrams, Marco Rubio, Donald Trump and John Bolton all provide the skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Heat Vision can't melt steel beams.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bud, it's right in Man of Steel during the Zod fight. It can

This is something a deep cover agent would say. Been to Moscow lately, comrade?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

http://www.artcenter.edu/connect/events/snyder-directors-cuts.html

For you Californians.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hey AccountSupervisor, in the Q&A outright ask Zack Snyder if he's an Objectivist who follows Ayn Rand's philosophy so we can put this dumb poo poo to rest. Or ask him to clarify his The Fountainhead statement in that quote posted.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Slutitution posted:

:sigh:

Snyder only has a story credit for Wonder Woman. You can almost guarantee the script/dialogue in WW would have been as dull as MoS / BvS if he directed it. I'm also not surprised to see yet another Snyder fan blatantly lie for him like you just did for no rational reason at all.

He didn't, however, have any writing credits on Batman v Superman or Man of Steel. He did come up with the story, which is part of the writing credits. So Ghosthotel was correct and you are incorrect. In other words, he won this internet argument and you lost.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie heist film is going to be allegory of the exploitation of the global south by capitalism.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I remember that stock footage of that mass Muslim prayer in the opening rubbed some people the wrong way. But I have no idea why.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's fine. Movies don't considering those people art either.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if Solid Snake will be part of the Q&A for Watchmen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Finished up the Watchmen Q&A last night and it was good. Gonna watch the Batman v Superman one later on. I really liked his Philip Glass story and having him score The Fountainhead would be really rad.

The thing with critics and Zack Snyder is that when they go to see his movies, they already made up their mind about it. They think he's some idiot fratboy jock so his movies will reflect that and any theme presented in it is purely coincidental if not haphazard. And any visual in there is an endorsement of it. The destruction of parts of Metropolis isn't because two demigods were duking it out and that's what would have happened, it's because Zack Snyder has an erection for explosions and destruction and thinks it's awesome and causing it is heroic.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to dislike his films. He does make certain choices and they aren't to your taste, but he does seem to bring out the weird in critics more than any director working except maybe George Lucas.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wanna see some male gaze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjJHUhXAPE

A choice was made for this scene, as with any other scene involving a camera in either film or games or pictures, to stress what parts of the body you want people to focus on. For this conversation, they wanted you to see some well-rendered rear end front and center. Also hilarious that the user's icon is relevant here too. So when I see male gaze, I think of poo poo like that. It could have easily been over-the-shoulder or something else, but they decided they want it level with her butt.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

porfiria posted:

Batman is a rich cis white man who beats up poor and mentally ill people for sport with the tacit endorsement of the police.

Look man, sometimes a Batman is just a Batman. There doesn't have to be some deep meaning behind everything. This is why everyone here finds this sub-forum insufferable! He's a guy who dresses up like a bat man and fights evil-doers. There's nothing wrong with that!

Just what I'd expect from a the hivemind that likes Zack Snyder films.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Someone convince Noam Chomsky to give modern art a shot and start posting impressions of superhero films on youtube. The man's 90 and this is a good use of his time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm curious to know what would lose Hbomb more subscribers: a Zack Snyder video that's positive or his Star Wars Prequel defense video.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Old men yelling at cloud takes on Star Wars and Star Trek stuff that RLM does is tiring. I'm a bit more on board with their Star Trek takes than Star Wars (I did like their pitch for that Picard series) but at some point they're just beating a dead horse. I do like their digs at a super-massive corporation like Disney talking about diversity and poo poo but still not having women in the creative decision-making process that isn't named Kathleen Kennedy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Now this is some male-gaze. Check out them space prison dicks that they are encased in to be shot into the prison ship.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I could probably watch Justice League again but every time I think "maybe I'll check it out again so I can better pick it apart and develop my criticisms of it further" I also then think about the score and how utterly loving trash it was. That score actively makes watching that film painful. It's truly on a level of awful that I couldn't possibly imagine.

I imagined a trainwreck when Joss Whedon's involvement was announced but I had at least some silver of hope that Danny Elfman's score would at least be decent enough. Nope. He didn't even do his own loving Batman score well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Perhaps y'all have created a pro-Snyder bubble and if it feels uncomfortable when you encounter opinions outside that bubble it says more about you than those outside the bubble. The world is not crazy because some people don't agree with your preference in directors.

True, but I think it has become a bit of a double-standard. I see a lot of people who went bananas over Zack Snyder's adaptation of the Batman character turn around and respond to his "you're living in a dream world" comment with "Batman isn't real". But as others said, people who try to genuinely engage with folks about why they like them they either go "it's ok to like bad films, but they are bad" in some condescending manner or simply ignore you and call you part of a horde besieging them.

Like, full-on, some people think that people who like Zack Snyder films are some alt-right chud dipshits, that they're some terrible human being or something. It's a phenomenon unique to Zack Snyder's films. I've never seen anything like it.

As for 300, I'm not sure what I'd categorize it as, to be honest. I honestly think it's a piece on the power of propaganda and how seductive it can be. We're not Spartans but everything about their culture, as framed from the Spartan telling it, is some badass manly powerful thing. Mountains of baby skulls, child violence, unstoppable fighters against a horde of grotesque others. It's all framed as the best poo poo and everything else is pinko commie weak crap. If it was actual propaganda that the filmmakers endorsed, it wouldn't have the mountains of baby skulls or child violence since the nature of propaganda is to show one side as pure and righteous while the other corrupt and evil.

Just look at the media propaganda on Venezuela. Everything is Maduro and his follower's fault, despite there being mountains of evidence to the contrary and our leaders outright saying it's a coup to get the country's resources.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WampaLord posted:

That indeed is lovely, and is totally not what I'm doing here. It's totally fine if you like Snyder's films, hell, I'm not even going to say that they're all bad, I think Man of Steel is overall pretty good even if it does have some flaws, and I loving loved Watchmen and the Dawn of the Dead remake. I'm just saying there's no need to act super shocked that there is a large number of people who do not care for him or his films, for a wide variety of reasons, some more valid than others.

Oh yeah, for sure. I think some fans can get overzealous, here and on social media, but in the case of some of the demographic, I can understand why. A lot of his women (and some are women of color) fans just get erased by people generalizing his fanbase as "bros". And if you follow politics closely, you know how lovely that sort of -bro label can be.

Some fans like to respond to opinions of the films after all these years in different venues and I don't bother and really don't think others should bother unless it's a dedicated thread to the subject. It usually is never productive.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If only the man spouting the 1% doctrine was shown as a beautiful and cheerful man.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy poo poo, I've seen the film like 4 times and I just now noticed the sign with the swastika in place of his S emblem.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

All this Jesus talk reminds me of that great scene from The Last Temptation of Christ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4Yzif8jQY
Not Safe For Work

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I remember at the height of the release the Snyder cut poo poo, someone unfamiliar with him and US politics posted another Shapiro quote and 95% of the replies were "yeah no, that guy is human garbage, don't quote him".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Probably that whole masculinity poo poo.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of them don't think the ancient Greeks, whose art depicted the pinnacle of the powerful human form, were super gay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They have an extremely weird and narrow idea of what comic book films should be. It kind of boils down to "comic books are lighthearted, stupid and fun, so their movies should be too." It's why I don't bother watching their reviews for any of these films (Marvel included) since I know where they from and I won't ever agree with them. Even if they like the film they reviewed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's in the middle of asking something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Depiction is endorsement. Everyone knows this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

He doesn't depict it either though. He sure depicts fascism though! And to be fair if you don't clue in on the satire it's easy to go from a to b (though I did when I was an idiot teen leaving 300 so)

Yeah, but in general. Like BvS gets called a film that glorifies "toxic masculinity" for merely depicting it, negatively mind you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/joss/status/1121443103972438017

I know there are a few Lefties in here that'd get a good laugh out of this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His talks are better than his movies - I do have a soft spot for Clerks and Mall Rats, though. But I appreciate him just being really candid about Hollywood and his experiences working in that system. I got a kick out of him discussing Man of Steel when it was released on one of his podcasts where he was awkward laughing at how worked up his co-host was getting over Lois Lane figuring out Superman's identity and how she was exceptional at investigative reporting.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 26, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

It'll give them more time to work on their "Confederacy" project, lol

Excuse me? The what now?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh, so it's going to be a post-Civil War documentary?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To that horrible article's credit, American History X does gently caress it all up with the ending.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the film having a very poor social message trumps it being poorly made, to be honest.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is that interview why the Snydercut fanbase are super active lately or did something else happen?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zack Snyder stuff comes from people who should know better. Brie Larson hate comes from chuds screaming about feminism or some poo poo. George Lucas's comes from middle-age nerds who unironically say he "raped their childhoods" with the Prequel films. Game of Thrones just feels like people have the George Lucas level of disappointment thrown at them. In all of these cases they're not so much attacks on them as it is their work and them related to that work. Game of Throne Guys and George Lucas may get "this movie they just put out will probably be bad because they made bad things in the past". Zack Snyder tends to get "this movie he just put out is bad because Zack Snyder is a woman-hating Randian fascist who puts rape in everything he makes".

Judging from his comments, his The Fountainhead movie sounds like it'll be something similar to "The Wolf of Wall Street".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

McCloud posted:

Joss Whedon doesn't care about black people

He only cares about the young women who work for him (behind the scenes).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

That's the best/worst part of the Snyder-hate. Sometimes the irony is just straight delicious, I drink it up, but other times I'm disappointed by the shallowness of the criticism. Like, it's possible he did miss the point with watchmen or zombie mall or whatever, but then it should be simple enough to tease out in comparison!

He's bad because there's a shot in Man of Steel of Clark sitting in front of a stained glass window depicting Jesus. College student hack Objectivist fascist randian misogynistic fratbro jock. Probably a Bernie Bro too.

Reply to this I'll just point out how rabid you and his obviously sexist fanbase is because they're responding to criticism of a 5 year old movie on a social platform. Then block you. My place at the top of the moral spectrum has been secured.

Edit: Seriously though, this is usually how it goes. Even people who like Snyder's DC films point this out at how this poo poo is just circular. Someone posts something, people responds then it just devolves into a slapping fight and everyone's blocked. And, like you said, most of the time the details are wrong or the meaning stretched to the breaking point.

My favorites, honestly, are the multi-hour video essay epics that people post. Like Moviebob's rambling screed on Batman v Superman that doesn't say one thing or another. Or that four-part (hour long each) series of videos where the guy basically said how Snyder fans secretly know the films are bad and don't want to admit it so they create excuses for the film or something. Which is really stupid because the guy does pretty OK videos on video games and whatnot. If your essay on the film is longer than the film, then you hosed up.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

McCloud posted:

I think this is fundamentally different from TLJ and ME in that there actually is another shot version of the movie that's mostly done. It's not demanding new content to be created like ME, or frustration over the producers choices, but rather over studio interference and them removing significant chunks of already filmed material and replacing it with garbage.
It's like the Donners version of Superman (insert Luca s quote here), it's already been shot, most of it is finished, and it's fundamentally different over the theater version, so there's a lot of good reasons to want to see it released other than "i didn't like the the theater version".

People who talk about "entitlement" largely ignore the context in which sprung the discussion to score some "sensible opinion" points and take jabs at consumers - typical liberal poo poo (aka punching left instead of defending their rights against big corporations). Mass Effect 3's ending (though the game past a certain point was junk, the ending was just icing on that cake) was an outrage because it was a literal push-button ending in which the game director outright said wouldn't be the case in interviews weeks before the release which lead to some nonsensical junk that didn't explain anything - "lots of speculation from everyone". It also introduced a protagonist that stole all agency away from the player which was antithetical to how the series presented itself of your choices mattering or changing things. Everyone, including yourself, could die by the end of the 2nd game.

Granted TLJ is a bit muddier since there's a large push-back against the new films by the alt-right turds who have horrible worldviews and opinions as it is. So for every stupid complaint about Holdo's purple hair drowns out legitimate and subjective complains about the movie's structure, how it handle some characters, ect. I didn't realize there was a call for a different version of that film, to be honest. I thought it was just people upset at how they handled some characters and plot threads from the last film.

Justice League is unique among the examples because it's literally two different films. Two radically different director's worked on it and you can tell what was change between shots - it's that bad. Snyder pretty much confirmed his version exist in a vault somewhere and has been posting footage of it on vero. People like this just come off as "I don't like this person's film (aka he's a bad person) and by extension his fanbase is bad, so I don't want them to get what they want." The people asking a massive corporation to release a thing that already exists aren't the bad guys here, though there are certainly elements of that fandom that are trash. Hopefully, with time, this person will realize they're taking the side a massive corporation over the general population.