Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
he's daddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
An ambitious project doomed to failure...tragic...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Should have locked the thread after the first 2 replies bc I don't really know what else needs to be said

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Zack Snyder is bad" is like the free square in Twitter personality bingo. You've can't ever stop playing if you want to stay at all relegant, and you gotta win frequently to maintain a high profile, so don't think about it goddammit, just post!!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

They are both. Whether you put more emphasis on them being survivors of a doomed society that rightly exiled them or fascist colonizers changes the meaning of the movie greatly.

Either way, the symbolic sterilization doesn't fit into any sort of anti-fascist reading.

I think you should stop posting until you find a dictionary lol

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

Indiscriminately killing innocent people in the hopes of maybe hurting the target you're aiming at is reasonably described as a massacre.

I mean, your powers of equivocation are really amazing.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cease is performing the role of a third-rate cable news talking head, a guy who shows up to the gig without talking points and makes up responses on the fly based on some vague notion of what will provide cover for the nefarious activities of the people who cut his paychecks. But he's doing this in an attempt to take down a movie from 2013 for no pay in a thread that's hostile to his method and his conclusions. Truly a genius at work.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

This is just a straw man where you imagine I see it as an anti-fascist movie but agree with the villains.
Okay so what do you actually believe wrt all the right-wing talking points you've posted in this thread in the course of criticizing MoS? What truth value do they have? What soundness do the arguments possess? Your perspective on this has been unclear.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

Man of Steel lends itself to a right-wing read, which undermines reads which are not right-wing.

Does a right-wing reading of the film illustrate true things about the real world, prompt us to think about the real world in more accurate ways, and so on?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not what I asked.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also irrelevant to my questions. You should answer them directly if you want to be more direct.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

Then you're gonna have to clarify them.
There's nothing to clarify. Do you agree with your hypothetical fascists that the worldview they espouse is sound and gives us greater insight into the actual functioning the real world than any other? Or are you invoking right wing ideas about race, eugenics, and immigrants as equally valid as their alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

No, I don't think their worldview is sound. They're fascists.

I think examining their worldview is important in understanding how they propagate and sustain themselves, and in understanding how to make effective narratives that attack the underpinnings of their worldview. Of what value is an antifascist movie that sustains fascists in their worldview? Of what value is a leftist movie that is also US military propaganda?
The whole problem with your posting style is that it's value-free, incoherent, and obscurantist. It is not obvious that you think fascism is bad based on the sum total of your posts in this thread.

If your project is to understand how fascists think about art, then you've utterly failed at the outset and should rethink your approach from the ground up. Making up a hypothetical fascist viewer and then attributing an unsupported reading of the film to them ain't going to get you anywhere.