Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The mustache removal was the last thing to get done, so a Mustache cut would be easier to release than a finished Snyder cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently Cyborg’s dad died in Snyder’s JL.

This is from a scene where Steppenwolf steals a motherbox from Star Labs during a fight with Cyborg and some of the other heroes. He does not, as in the Whedon's version, find it in a parking lot.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently the line in the JL trailer that said “No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonians.” was Darkseid talking to Steppenwolf explaining why the time was right to re-invade Earth.
That was Steppenwolf talking to Desaad. He was trying to convince Desaad that he could successfully invade Earth to get the Anti-Life Equation.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That is the final asset though (or at least as final as it got before the character was cut). It looks like an animation playblast, so it's not fully rendered, but it's accurate to what he would have looked like in the movie.

I saw some concept art of a second look for him (for his appearance at the end of the film), where he was wearing armor similar in style to Steppenwolf's BvS look. That interlocking shards of metal design was supposed to be used with all the Apokolips characters, but the only ones who retained it were the alien priests who used the motherboxes in the flashback scene (who are very similar to what Desaad would have ended up looking like).

One thing I like about Darkseid's design for the film that isn't immediately apparent in that image is that the omega symbol on his chest is actually a part of his bone structure rather than just a costume element.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

From what I heard while working on it, Joss hated every character except Wonder Woman, but especially Cyborg.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They made full size maquettes for Flash and Cyborg's costumes for BvS, but the closest they came to building something for screen use was the padding he wore under his hoodie in some scenes. Otherwise he was just in a mocap suit.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

True fact: when I first saw The Fall I hated it, and now I love Tarsem and all he does.

Snyder, Tarsem, and Michael Bay all went to film school together.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Roman posted:

All the other news I'm seeing is that it's a workprint, a full complete version would cost $30-$40 million to complete. So it would be like a Donner cut of Superman II. Or just have really bad Asylum Films quality SFX

That's probably closer to the truth. Some stuff, like the Amazon mother box sequence or the tunnel battle, are fairly close to the early previs I saw so might be pretty polished, but the third act is way different, and most of the character development scenes for Cyborg and Steppenwolf were cut as soon as Whedon took over.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ryan Choi was in a deleted scene, but there wouldn't have been anywhere to put him in as Atom.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well, the available image from that scene is the same location as the STAR Lab where Steppenwolf originally stole the third Motherbox from, so maybe he was just in the movie to get killed like Jimmy Olsen in BvS.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ultimately, none of them. Whedon had final approval on the VFX, and even shots that didn't change in terms of footage and composition were kneecapped by having resources shifted to the half of the movie that had to be restarted.
There may be a few non-vfx shots to escape unscathed, but Whedon would have had final approval on the color grading for those too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That third trailer's tricky, because I think Joss had just finished (or maybe was still doing) reshoots when we started working on it, so it was all heavily based on what we'd started working on with Zack. The red sky is an obvious Whedon addition, but at this point we didn't have an approved look for it, so we just kept working on the nighttime version and then did a hacky color grade at the end. This was also around the time Joss changed the fx of Steppenwolf's axe, so you've got some using Zack's electricity intercut with Joss' TRON trails.

And since anything that's in a trailer from more than a month before a movie's release is done specifically for that trailer, even "finished" looking shots had several months of work ahead of them under Joss.

Regardless, Joss still had to approve the versions of the shots that went into that trailer, so they're all "his" depending on how you look at it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He still might have been. Just because he had final approval on the shots that ended up in the movie doesn't mean he was totally invested in what went in them. Whedon's Batgirl movie was announced a few months before he took over, so I could see him agreeing to finish the movie as a favor in order to get more control of Batgirl.

A few of the bigger changes were definitely studio mandated though. Steppenwolf's redesign was done to bring him more in line with his comics design (and happened while Zack was still on the movie), and the Russia sequence was changed from taking place at night because the studio felt the movie was "too dark".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's about three or four major previs companies that do the action setpieces for every big movie, so they do tend to run toegether if you don't have a strong creative direction to make things unique.

Some directors get really involved with the previs and will ask for specific shots with specific framing and timing that the final VFX studio has to match when we actually start work on the movie. Others only use it as a guideline and spend a lot time in post-production trying to figure out what they want, and it's pretty hard for VFX to line up with a director's vision when they don't have one.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

There is a goon who was speaking on this in a thread years ago who was the guy who designed the "Enterprise crashing to Earth" sequence at the end of Into Darkness. JJ had quite literally no input on that scenes conception. He mentioned JJ walked in, watched the previz and was like "wow this is great" and that was that. Some directors have a very hands off approach to the actual design and blocking of big set pieces.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - a director who knows when to let the experts do their job is much better than one who thinks they're the expert and just makes things worse.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://theexilesnetwork.wordpress.com/2019/08/25/peter-guinness-was-desaad-in-the-snyder-cut/

Peter Guineas had been cast as DeSaad and was originally in the movie during the “History Lesson” sequence and the “Darkseid Family Photo” bit at the end.

He also had a few scenes with Steppenwolf, appearing as a sort of liquid metal hologram that came out of an obelisk like Han Solo in carbonite.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah - similar technology, but different presentation. The obelisk is still in this scene, and the effect of Desaad (and Darkseid) appearing in it would have had a molten metal look similar to what happens when Steppenwolf puts the motherbox into it. I have no idea what the origin of the obelisk was in Snyder's version, but the CG version in Steppenwolf's scenes was made to match a physical set piece, so it definitely existed in other parts of the movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The big thing that struck me when I saw BvS in theaters was the water/fire motif that runs through it, and when I rewatched MoS with that in mind, I realized it was something that it was there too, and presumably, in Justice League.

Basically, fire and heat represent things that are alien, and are related to Superman's relationship to the sun. Water represents humanity, and seems to be tied to the island metaphor Clark's mom uses to prevent himself from being overwhelmed by his abilities.

There's a lot more examples than these, but these are some in particular that come to mind.:

Krypton is destroyed by pillars of fire shortly after Jor-El descends into the water to ensure his son has human-like freedom.

Clark is introduced in MoS as a fisherman on a boat - his first superheroic action in the film is on an exploding oil rig, and there's an iconic shot of him bathed in fire as he comes through the door. His alien power is burning away his human costume.

Clark finding the Kryptonian ship in the ice represents a synthesis of his two sides - ice being dry water. Clark's trek up the mountain in BvS also deals with this Synthesis of Clark and Superman, and Jonathan's story about the flooding farm is supposed to teach him a human lesson. There's a reason he couldn't use his ice breath until after he died.

In BvS, most of Lois's investigation is done near water - either near a river, in the rain, or invading the men's bathroom. In the extended cut, Clark even needs to cross the river into Gotham, because this is not a job for Superman.

Lex's efforts to frame Superman are done with fire - burning bodies and blowing up a wheelchair.

The news montage about Superman lines up with this motif as well. Dialogue that's more questioning about his power plays over images of fire and destruction, but is less so when he's pulling a huge ship across a field of ice.

During Batman's fight with Superman, Batman has the upper hand near water, while Superman is more formidable where it's dry. Batman even wins the fight when he smashes Superman with a bathroom sink, but is made vulnerable after he tosses him onto a pile of radiators.

When Batman does get his catharsis and rescues Martha, his final act is to save her from a guy wielding a flamethrower - calling back to his inability to save his employees from Zod's heat vision.

Clark's ressurrection in Justice League takes place in water, and it's interesting that he's carrying a picture of his father as a fisherman.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The final version is definitely at a different time of day from some of the early stuff I saw, and the vibe was more clearly pre-dawn.
The studio wanted to make sure the movie wasn't "too dark", so some scenes were altered to take place during daylight (which is also why the third act was changed from nighttime).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It was color grading. Between the nighttime and red sky looks, there was a brief period where it was supposed to be a normal overcast afternoon. We had to rebuild our light rigs for that look, but when they changed it to red sky we didn't have time to do it all again, so just graded the daytime stuff to look red.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

looks like the "vines" were also added in s they don't seem to be present in the initial version.
Yeah, those were a later addition. Initially the Motherbox terraforming process would only happen when they aligned and formed the Unity (creating the Knightmare hellscape from BvS), but since they cut the part where that actually happens (and the Flash plotline related to it), they had to establish the danger of the motherboxes another way and give Flash something else to do during the third act.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He had to travel back in time to prevent the League from getting vaporized by the Unity.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zack's mentioned it a couple of times on his Vero, but the only remaining images of it are a few shots in the trailers and a storyboard he posted.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He survives becauses he's vibrating his molecules so that the blast just goes through him rather than obliterating him like the rest of the League.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, if a "true" Snyder Cut means it's free of all studio meddling, it might not even be possible to put one together with the material that was filmed.

During production, certain characters were given codenames to hide their involvment in the movie. Both Superman and Darkseid were named after characters from The Fountainhead.

Superman was Roark

CliffsNotes posted:

The integrity of his design is far more important to him than the money or recognition that will accrue from the commission.

Darkseid was Keating

CliffsNotes posted:

Keating is a conformist. He surrenders his judgment and allows other people to dominate his life.

So it always seemed pretty clear to me that Snyder wasn't satisfied with what was happening to the movie right from the start.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Roman posted:

Jason Momoa (who saw it) responded hinting that it was definitely more complete than that. I don't think he would have said that about a bunch of storyboards and temp music.

The VFX would have some representation for each shot, but it would be far from finished. If they released the Snyder Cut as-is, there would be a lot of Ray Fisher in mocap PJ's, but the greenscreen he was standing in front of would have been replaced.

McSpanky posted:

including how they leveraged Snyder's daughter's suicide to make this whole shitshow go down in the first place.

Speaking of production codenames, there's a bit of cosmic cruelty to Man of Steel's production codename being Autumn Frost, named after his daughter, and the studio using her death to take the movie's sequel away from him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

This was the original opening to the film, similar to BvS starting with the end of MoS, and MoS starting with the end of Krypton.

In BvS, there's a shockwave/signal that emanates from Supeman and Doomsday upon their death, and this scene would have followed the shockwave as it travelled across the bay and activated the motherbox in Silas Stone's apartment. It might have gone around the world to awaken the Atlantis/Amazon boxes too, but we only had the gotham portion of the scene so I can't say for sure.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

When we added it in BvS, the direction was that it was supposed to be like radio or sound waves, so it was definitely some type of signal rather than just powerful energy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, but also, release the Trank cut.

We need the Fantasticar.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There was definitely some disturbing sexual subtext, but as far as I know it was mostly about actual reproduction, what with Steppenwolf's base being designed as a giant vagina penis that holds Mother Boxes.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Snyder just posted this with the caption “My Superman”

All the Superman scenes were shot with him wearing the blue suit (even before Joss came on board), so when Zack talks about "his" Justice League, it seems like he's talking about a version of the movie that wasn't even filmed.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently in Snyder’s version, Clark was resurrected using the codex information stored in his DNA. Also, when Cyborg interfaces with the ship he sees bits of the Knightmare future and sees Superman siding with Darkseid. That’s why his armor sees Clark as an threat when they encounter him at Heroes Park.

The previs I saw for that sequence had a shot of Darkseid, but nothing about Superman with him - it may have been something that wasn't in the edit at that point, but the rest is correct as far as I know.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McSpanky posted:

That shot looks like it was also in the first trailer, which I believe predated the Whedoning and had several shots that were omitted from the theatrical butchering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

Yeah, that shot isn't actually the one he's talking about - that one is just him charging up energy beforehand by doing laps around the city.

The sequence he's talking about has Flash running towards a quasar in a dark void, with every step creating a Big Bang beneath his feet. Stars and galaxies spew out as bursts of light, rebuilding reality around him as he travels through time.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

Just out of curiousity, what software were you working in for this?

The simulation elements of the big bang stuff would have been done in Houdini, but the reality rebuilding may have used a proprietary software we had for destruction that used Digital Molecular Matter.

Unfortuanely we didn't really get far on it before it was cut, and it was just starting to look really cool when the axe came down.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, the Steppenwolf change was studio mandated, and it was late enough that we had to postpone animating scenes with him until Weta finished the redesigned model.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's a scene of Flash is clearing falling debris away from people he rescued during the tunnel fight - if I remember right, some frames had 3 or 4 instances of him at the same time.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think it's great that they're getting some of these VFX houses some additional work during the COVID slowdown.

Yeah, this is really good news and I hope I get to work on this thing for the third time.

That being said, it's going to be a lot of work to finish, and will be starting from scratch in a lot of places. The facility that did all the Russia stuff doesn't even exist anymore, so someone else is going to have to be picking that up at the very least. I hope the release is later in 2021 rather than earlier - the crunch we had to endure switching from Joss to Zack made a lot of people quit the first time around.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

The article linked earlier mentioned a lot of the vfx assets still exist, but from some of your other previous posts I thought the norm was to burn it all down afterwards.

Usually models will be archived by the VFX facilities and sometimes sent to the studios directly, but that's akin to saying that you have a head start on making a new Harryhausen movie because you have a stop motion skeleton in a bin somewhere.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Snyder's script had no Russia stuff, that was 100% whedon.

The family was a Whedon addition, but Snyder's movie also ended with the League fighting Steppenwolf inside a cooling tower in not-Chernobyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I just finished BvS again and that Kevin Costner scene hits me harder every time.

It was even good when Terrio reused it in Star Wars.