Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The OP is no longer a weird salt post so no longer is this one either. The forums are a better place now that we're all super chill.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dreqqus posted:

Do people actually hate the man? I'm not a fan of his films for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam by folks way more eloquent than me, and the fact that he wants to adapt an Ayn Rand work makes me side eye him a little politically, but overall he seems like a nice enough guy.

Lindsey Ellis tried to spread a rumor that he hated his mom in the wake of his daughter committing suicide.

Equeen posted:

On a slight tangent, I wish the "Batman doesn't kill!" people would at least keep that same energy towards the Burton's Batman movies and the Arkham games. In the former, Batman clearly kills people, and in the latter, you play as Batman brutalizing criminals.

The Arkham games are a little more complicated. The first two were written by Paul Dini who, as you know, hasn’t made anything good in quite some time, and as a result they’re some of the most fascist Batman stories out there. The third was written by the gameplay director Sefton Hill, and was basically a story about the Batman empire self-imploding due to his own selfishness.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 25, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, let's be fair here...

it's also over really bad faith readings of Sucker Punch and 300

Like the one in the OP of this thread?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Batman has killed people in seven of the nine live-action theatrically-released movies he’s been in. He started out killing people, so there’s the “tradition” argument out the window. One of the most beloved Batman stories of all time features a central character being shot through the spine, crashed through a glass table, and then the villain undresses her, photographs her, and then sends the pictures to her dad.

This bizarre argument that Batman is inherently a heroic character, or that he’s a character who is always intended for children, isn’t anything other than a desperate clinging to a fictionalized “standard” of the character that never existed and was never enforced. Leftists are pretty good at talking about politics, but they are genuinely horrible at talking about the arts, to the degree that in the middle of an actively leftist rant where he bemoans the state of America, Snyder’s comments have been cherry-picked by Twitter so they can make fun of him for depicting a character known for being a billionaire psychopath as a billionaire psychopath.

Essentially the only argument these people have is to tone police a man who watched as an entire industry mocked him as he grieved his daughter.

Zack Snyder is a man who has only directed literally one movie that wasn’t a massive success in his entire career. If there’s anyone who gets to “talk down” to a writer on Real Time with Bill Maher, it’s him.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 26, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Brief reminder to everyone that last year Whedon insisted his Wonder Woman script was actually good and he didn’t even get a tenth of this poo poo.

Franchescanado posted:

The criticism is that Snyder shouldn't talk down to people for disliking his interpretation of a character that's been around decades before he was even a filmmaker, for the sake of "realism" in a fantasy story.

The bolded section, while true, is irrelevant, since the argument is about Batman directly killing villains in the films, which he doesn't do in most iterations of the comic. Batman is not the one shooting and torturing the character in your example. I think that should be clarified.

The bolded was meant to illustrate the following claim, that Batman is a character that bounds back and forth between being for children or adults.

Under no circumstances is Snyder insisting that his interpretation of Batman is the “correct” one, but he is illustrating that Batman stories often offer ridiculous explanations as to how a criminal brutalized by Bats is going to live. Rubber bullets, godlike levels of martial arts restraint - my personal favorite is a video game that insists criminals hit by the Batmobile will live because they are safely electrocuted out of the way first.

This lines up with a similar comment Snyder made in the promotional tour for BvS, where he outright pointed out that scores of videos on YouTube exist that catalogue the examples of Batman killing people throughout the ages, or even just in the live-action movies. Snyder’s comment isn’t an insistence that all Batmen kill people, it’s specifically a response to the idea that Batman not killing people is a trait that’s core to his character, when it’s been remarkably inconsistent at best. This is the crux of the “fantasy world” comment - it makes much more sense to just admit that Batman attempts to bring societal change through violence than to insist that he merely temporarily rearranges people’s bones.

Batman has always been a psychopathic billionaire. The uproar over this depiction of him being a psychopathic billionaire is bizarre, especially with the added flavor of insisting that Snyder is right-wing for depicting this billionaire as a villain.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

EDIT: Admittedly I primarily came to this conclusion when I first saw Justice League rather than BvS but I will look over this movie anyways

This was your first mistake - Justice League is not a Zack Snyder movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lmao this is the inevitable result of making a thread designed to show off goons like zoo animals for liking the wrong movies.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I've said before, I care a lot about criticism and it would betray that passion to not be willing to get into scraps over it. I will argue anything as long as it's in good faith.

You’re good people Mel, even if I disagree with you I respect you way more than dipshits like Olson who insist the only reason you can like these movies is if you’re a chud.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I would highly recommend not posting random takes from yahoos on Twitter, I have no intention of responding to any of those idiots, cannot within the confines of these forums, and it’s loving weak enough when they screencap these posts to snicker about them where the big mean wrong-movie-likers can’t hurt them.

I would also recommend closing this thread because all it’s doing is making it easier for people to helldump CineD posters.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

as the saying goes, Twitter is free; you just know you'd get ratio'd. and considering nobody has been doxxed or stalked calling it "helldump" is a stretch

Yeah, I found a community of people I like talking to and learning from, and I generally stay within it because I like it here. Am I wrong for that? Am I supposed to sign up for a site that everyone who uses it admits they hate?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

dude I was just pointing out that your assertion that you "can't" engage with them was wrong, it's a choice which you cleanly articulated your rationale behind just now

Which is why I specifically said “cannot within the confines of these forums.” Anyone who thinks they’re getting one up on me for liking the wrong movies by engaging with a website where death threats from literal Nazis is just an expected feature is only owning themselves.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Darko posted:

I think the big divide is that I, personally, find a Superman that can "save everyone" an inane story so I don't see the criticism about writing one that can't and is shown to have to make human split moment decisions that sometimes end up badly. Even everyone's favorite All Star Superman does not portray Superman as that.

One of the more bizarre things about Snyderchat to me is how the general consensus before Man of Steel was that you couldn’t make an interesting Superman story today because he’s a perfect Boy Scout, and then after MoS it was that the movie was poo poo because Superman wasn’t a perfect Boy Scout.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fart City posted:

Is there anyone who hosed up his Big Time Shot more then Whedon in recent memory? Dude directs The Avengers, which becomes this mega-sensation, and ... doesn’t really capitalize. Never becomes a household name. Then he does Age Of Ultron, a crap movie, yes, but it still made bank. Still doesn’t make him a sought-after director. Doesn’t even make him a studio-owned “solid hand.” Gets the chance to basically redo his biggest success with Justice League, and packages and releases a shrink-wrapped turd. Basically goes radio silent.

Those were his Big Time Shot. Whedon fans don’t want to admit he only got this far in life through white male privilege like all the things they claim he’s against, but it’s absolutely true.

Besides, he’ll be fine. He’s writing and directing an HBO series now, set in Victorian times about a cast of women who fighbaaaaarrrfffffffff

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Elfman hasn’t turned in a good score in over a decade now.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Watching relatively sane people completely snap about Evil Snyder's Batman Take is wild poo poo. Most of these people are left politically and would totally agree with you if you said "you know Batman is a fascist cop, poo poo that guy would probably quote Dick Cheney if he could" and then it happens and they totally flip out. I really am baffled.

Pretty much every left personality I’ve seen is posting some variation of a “[children’s cartoon] is violent wake the gently caress up” meme like Batman isn’t a chronology whose most beloved stories include a teenager being beat to death with a pipe, a man who shits himself constantly due to his own indecisiveness, multiple serial killers, and Batman’s sidekick being paralyzed and then sexually assaulted.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The Incredible Hulk didn't really seem to matter in the long run

I’d argue it mattered to the canon more than Civil War or Age of Ultron.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Personally I’m beyond loving sick of talking about these movies but I would like to live in a world where saying that I like them doesn’t get armchair psychologist nerds leaping down my throat to psychoanalyze me, let alone deduce that I must be an objectivist fascist who loves rape.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I agree with Fran’s take that the thread should not be used as a treehouse where we snicker about other clubs.

I think that kind of behavior is a natural result of being ostracized simply based off of what movies you do and don’t like, but we should try and curb it all the same.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You’re fine, I don’t mean to shame anyone, or call them out. It’s just that the thing that sucks about Snyderchat is this insistence that no matter what arguments you can present or explanations behind your beliefs, you are automatically branded at least dumber and often as a bigot for finding meaning in his movies, and it’s left me genuinely uncomfortable with joining any film criticism circles outside of this one. I bet I’d get along great with the likes of Olson and Ellis if I knew that they hadn’t already decided that they hate me. Even Hbomberguy, who is “the Snyder defender” in their circle, is presented with the caveat that he’s the weird contrarian of the group, and therefore a wacky sideshow to the main event.

If other people wanna gossip about CineD behind our backs, that sucks, and I don’t think they should be allowed to do that, but it doesn’t accomplish much to stoop to their level. We’re not talking about fighting back politically, we’re talking about movies on an Internet forum. The slapfight just doesn’t help anyone and I’d prefer to just enjoy these movies in peace without being branded as a right-winger. Maybe some time ago I would have been interested in discussing why I think these movies are leftist, but that time is long gone. The endless, howling storm of The Discourse has worn me to a nub.

I think Fran has the best intentions and I appreciate that he’s willing to shut down this kind of snickering gossip on both sides of the issue, but I’m not going to be less open about the fact that I think this thread is a bad idea, and this kind of situation is only the natural result of it. All that’s left is to be a single corral in which we can house the wrong movie likers so that other subforums and people on Twitter can snipe at us from afar like fish in a barrel, and at this point sniping back just intensifies an argument it’s already clear will convince nobody. I want to just like these movies and be left alone about it, and if I drop epic one-liners back at these people it’ll just draw more attention to it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I understand the frustration but the reason I don't care about that stuff is because most of the Youtube Film Fuckers have no idea what the hell they're talking about with any film, let alone something that hasn't already been predigested.

I mean, agreed, hence “get along with” and not “agree with.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Counterpoint: Snyder wouldn’t have used a final line as stupid as ”I am Iron Man”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

That's not stupid. It's a callback to the song. They blast the music right afterwards to make it official.

I’m talking about Endgame, not Iron Man 1.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is GoT suffering in ratings? Seems like all the old guard are still around, but to laugh at the train wreck instead.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Mass Effect 3’s endings were indeed bad, but I didn’t mind it that much because everything leading up to that final asspull was just a series of good conclusions for the smaller arcs. At least they didn’t spend the entire final installment just systematically dismantling everything people loved about it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah American History X’s ending doesn’t hold up so great today.

But lmfao at them including the perfectly mediocre Ghostbusters. Nerds just can’t let it go. We’re really only missing Last Jedi for the hat trick.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dreqqus posted:

To be fair to folks, 'the Fountainhead is only about architects and loving, and also Ayn Rand's work isn't even that political and also she's a good storyteller' is a wildly idiotic take, so I get why people think that could be disingenuous.

That’s not what he said, though. He didn’t say The Fountainhead is only about architecture and loving, he said that’s the main appeal of the book to him, and then talked about Rand’s politics saying she “drank her own Kool-aid.” Between that and the “we need a new president so we can stop taking things so seriously” thing, the best criticism you could have of this interview is that he’s honestly not critical enough but he definitely still is, which is what makes these liberal YouTube critics insisting he’s a fascist objectivist jock who loves rape look so off-base.

I mean, I like him, but I’m also realistic that he’s a hyper-Christian white dude who got where he is at least in part due to his privilege. The fact that he comes out of all this as a leftist at all says a lot about his character.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The sense I got from that interview was not so much that he was a leftist, but rather that he's a completely milquetoast Hollywood liberal who just happens to be a really talented filmmaker.

The argument can be made, but a lot of the content of Snyder’s films sit pretty solely in leftist but not liberal territory, without necessarily targeting liberals themselves. He has a common theme of war glory turning out to be bullshit that only leaves broken people behind, and the beginning of Man of Steel has an anti-capitalist streak, where Krypton’s society has been so automated that even birthing is in service of the economy, and that ultimately leads to the planet’s destruction. (Was that a thing in the comics? I thought the original story was just that a meteor was about to hit.)

So you could say that Snyder is just a liberal but his movies are leftist, which would make sense. But the real target of my ire here are the YouTube critics who continue to insist that obviously everyone who says good things about Snyder’s movies is a fascist.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There have been thousands of significantly dumber kickstarters than “buying a billboard to ask a company to do something” that had 0% of their total go to charity so I don’t see why anyone is trying to frame the SDCC thing as a moral issue other than a continued effort on the part of nerd communities to make liking the wrong movies morally wrong.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I always did think it was weird how the weather in the fight was this sickly overcast.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m not sure I’d agree any of the deaths in SS (lol) were heroic? I feel like the whole point was how much the movie played up how honorable it is to die for your country, only to show that there’s no way to die that isn’t disgusting and horrifying.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

To paraphrase Elizabeth Warren,

Uhhhh don’t.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

McCloud posted:

What's wrong with Warren?

Apologies for the slight derail, but:

- lied about a supposed Native American heritage, which at first seemed like a genuine mistake but as more and more stuff is revealed it seems like she knew she was lying (https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1177427403301359616 , https://twitter.com/alytadeleon/status/1178019629102505986?lang=en)

- her proposal for Medicare for All only applies to physical health care, she wants mental health care to still be covered by private insurance companies. It also does not specify anything about what would happen to deductibles, copays, premiums, or taxes. She also delayed releasing her health care plans until mere hours before the third democratic debate, months after the rest of the candidates had already specified theirs.

- has some warhawk tendencies and has been deliberately vague on her stance on Iran, voting for sanctions on the country and suggesting the US is prepared for war though she disagrees with Trump’s methods. In lieu of a healthcare plan, spent the gap talking about her plan to “make the military green.”

- is so addicted to the concept of capitalism that she said that climate change should be a great “market opportunity” in the first DNC debate

- was a Republican until the early 90s and voted for Reagan twice

She is, by her own admission, a capitalist to her bones, and believes the system is fine as long as you get rid of the bad capitalists. She can crow about Bezos and Wall Street but she wants those institutions still in place. She’s wearing the tenets of leftism as a costume until the danger has passed - and why vote for her when you could vote for the actual leftist in the race instead?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Okay, but he didn't say to vote for her. He paraphrased a debate quip. I'm onboard with all your political points, but they hardly seem to justify jumping on somebody in a film forum for referencing her legitimately funny slam on John Delaney.

No, you're correct. This primary has poisoned my brain and has me jumping at shadows. I apologize, MJ.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I seriously don’t trust a hypothetical big Snyder Cut release to actually come close to what he had envisioned for the movie. I mean, the whole thing’s shot based on the fact that he wanted to do a trilogy anyways.

I’d still totally watch it though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Although ‘designed for a trilogy’, all Snyder’s films have been very self-contained. You don’t need a third or fourth film to explain anything in BVS.

But, if a Snyder Cut is released, I do hope he is able to a full-on ‘Final Cut’ of the film - bringing back the original Steppenwolf design, etc.

“Shot” was a poor choice of words for a movie forum, I meant it as in “busted” or “screwed.” WB was loving with his plan long before he started filming the now singular JL film.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dreqqus posted:

That's fair, I was maybe giving this line:

Is there a #releasethetrankcut? 
Doesn’t matter.

More weight than it deserves. Sorry Josh, I'm saying this as a huge fan of the FF. No one gives a poo poo about the FF.

Yeah, but also, release the Trank cut.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
At this point I’m ambivalent about the release of a Snyder Cut, because the internet and this subforum have absolutely worn me down and I don’t even like admitting I like his movies anymore, but I do wish liberal bloggers would stop pulling the “this is horrible! Snyder stans could have used that billboard money for a good cause” poo poo when 1) they donated the profits, and much more across so many other events, to a charity that directly benefits people like Autumn and 2) I guarantee you they have $4000 with of Funko Pops at home

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That’s more Dark Knight Returns than BvS, no?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well why'd he delete it, that's a good thing to wish

Faraci had not yet been exposed as a sexual assaulter and in fact was still well-respected amongst film bloggers despite 97% of his scoops being entirely wrong.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Robot Style posted:

All the Superman scenes were shot with him wearing the blue suit (even before Joss came on board), so when Zack talks about "his" Justice League, it seems like he's talking about a version of the movie that wasn't even filmed.

Hey, are you okay? If you can’t respond I understand, but there’s that news story about a VFX studio that worked on Detective Pikachu shutting down.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh we don't like that guy now?

Now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies were awful, though.

Get out. Get the gently caress out. You have RUINED CHRISTMAS. MODS. MODS