Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

Being a huge fan of Italian renaissance painters really helps your love Zack Snyder

Being a fan of cinema as a visual storytelling medium in general, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

How bloody is the owl film? It's the only Snyder I haven't seen and would like to watch, but all the owls look so adorable it's gonna break my heart if half of them end up getting slaughtered lol.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

It's not bloody, but it's still very on point if that makes sense. Snyder said he never approached it as a kids film, but it's still very much "my first Snyder film" as it explicitly lays out his feelings on heroes through the eyes of owlets. It's also a beautiful film, so please watch it.

Thanks, will make time for it then.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, I always read it as Joss trying to prove he can out-Snyder Snyder without understanding why Snyder's montages work and failing so completely that through sheer serendipity the scene ends up working on a self-owning meta level instead.

"Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost"

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Save the Cat was required reading and treated like an actual Bible by both students and lecturers on my filmmaking course and even being an actual idiot with no idea about filmmaking back then it didn't really sit right with me, but man, trying to convince anyone that having an inciting incident occur at precisely minute 17 (or whichever interval of time it would fall under for longer films) is not a unifying rule of well-paced storytelling or that worthwhile films that do not fall under Snyder's* formula exist used to be shut down hard.

What an absolute waste of time and money.

*Blake Snyder obvs, but I'd love to see Zack Snyder write a filmmaking book.