Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

That seems like it sucks a lot

I love the show but dang that scene might have been the nadir of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

porfiria posted:

I still don't understand why people hate Zack Snyder so bad. His takes on Batman and Superman aren't zanier or more idiosyncratic than Burton or Donner. Is the Internet critic stuff specifically all 300 fallout?

The hate definitely seemed to morph into what it is today after Man of Steel came out and plenty of people started saying how that's not their Superman.

Hell the main beef I remember people having with Watchmen wasn't that it was Synder at the wheel, it's that they felt it was impossible to make a movie out of the comic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

teagone posted:

I can't wait to see all the haters who have been endlessly/pointlessly gatekeeping the Snyder Cut go absolutely nuclear, lmao.

They're already whining about how it's catering to THE CHUDS.

Chuds.

Chuds!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm still a little stunned that not only is this happening but it's getting a budget. I guess there's one benefit to there being all these streaming services desperate for content.

BSS people seem alright, though I don't read the movie thread.

Yea it getting actual money to finish it all up is the most surprising thing out of all of this. I believed that the cut would make its way out to the public eventually in some form but not like this. Even what they had available would have been interesting enough to see so that's a great bonus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Roth posted:

I don't understand how anyone can not be excited for this either expecting a good movie or a dumpster fire.

Whatever the result is I'm gonna be excited because it'll succeed or fail on its own terms instead of being a hatchet job.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Martman posted:

I love that early take that "see, this doesn't count 'cause they'll get to use feedback from the one that was released!!" As if it's cheating to use the lesson that they shouldn't make the movie complete garbage.

Anyone claiming this is all they meant when they said it never existed is a clown. If it only takes <50 million to make a complete alternate cut of a special effects heavy blockbuster, then it mega existed.

I think a good metric to use is that they're spending the budget of two Game of Thrones episodes on it. When you think about it that way that's some great value!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

The focus on Snyder fans being the secret chuds who hate women or whatever feels like how the media focused really hard on Bernie Sanders supporters being especially toxic when you could find just as toxic people or worse from every other campaign.

Even right now it’s not hard to find people being weirdly upset over the cut being a thing just take a step into BSS lol

Finding ways to insult a fanbase and disguising it as criticism of the thing itself is always the move of someone full of hot air.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Sup my fellow Lefties who understand the power of words and phrasing.

Also have a molten hot take:

https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1263465476937703425
https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1263466039574175747

Bunch of entitled folks harassing everyone with different opinions for not getting a film that wasn't up to the standard of the previous two. Also similar to the entitled fanbase that got a game from a company that ACTIVELY LIED TO THEM up to a month before release. These folks need to learn the difference between entitlement and expectation. WB was using scenes in previews that didn't exist in the final cut of Justice League and were clearly shot by Snyder.

Genuinely wondering how folks like these would act if something like the Blade Runner director's cut happened today.

At any rate those tweets sure give off the vibe of someone who'd complain about the evil berniebros!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

People hate Zack Snyder so much they're going to bat for a predator. Should make a tweet saying "If you write about the Snyder Cut, and neglect to mention liberals going to bat for major corporations, rich directors and executives, and so many "regular folks" (who call the fandom stupid/cultists) because of the fandom of a few movies and a divisive director it'd be a disservice to your readers."

It is definitely really wild how a lot of people are now extremely concerned about where the chump change (by blockbuster standards ofc) of $20-30 million is going.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I've been wrestling with Alexander (the good one, not the dumb one) bringing that up and I think I'm fine with it because hey, if this is a moment in time where fans are demanding things and creators are being rewarded, she might as well throw her hat into the ring as someone who deserves the chance to make more good rear end movies.

In general tho I am leery of it being used as a blanket bash on this specific instance, because yeah she can make 4 Green Street Hooligans with 20 million but by that token she can make 60 Green Street Hooligans with the amount they spend on the average blockbuster movie. That's always been the case, although it's good to be reminded that what those movies consider "chump change" is enough to change a lot of good directors careers.

Yeah absolutely. Were it a question of funding 4 indie movies vs finishing the Snyder cut I'd totally get where they were coming from, but unfortunately if they weren't spending it on the Snyder cut it'd be allocated to some other blockbuster project instead.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As a reminder, the Whedon Cut cost approximately $25 million.

Haha, incredible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea to be honest if it's a community where folks can't believe that someone genuinely likes a particular director/movie, that they must be a contrarian because they can't even perceive of someone liking it?

It's not a community worth being a part of.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think Disney pays anyone off or anything but there was that poo poo a few years back about Disney banning critics from advance screenings if they gave a negative review to one of their movies and that sure sucked!

Also the toxic fandom stuff wrt Snyder movies is always a completely wild assertion to me because it implies that there exists a fandom somewhere that doesn't have toxic elements? Kinda seems impossible to me!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

josh04 posted:

Did some light editing and posted it. I'll ping it on twitter and see if I get anything back.

https://twitter.com/fevered_earth/status/1273388441183703041

Godspeed. I hope you get a response but I don't think they're the type to do so. That said, I enjoyed reading it!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Isn't Save the Cat one of those prescriptive writing books that promises the One, True Way To Writing A Good Story, but all it really generates is cookie-cutter, interchangeable plots? I mean, I'm not going to watch the video but seeing it mentioned in the video description and the comments makes me assume that Fish will point to it a whole bunch as evidence that Zack Snyder is Doing It Wrong?

You are spot on with the book. I've read it and the author (whose scripts that got greenlighted have resulted in absolutely garbage movies) can't comprehend a successful movie that doesn't follow his formula; he has an axe to grind with Memento and insists that actually it was not a successful movie because it didn't gross as much as Legally Blonde. Instead of admitting that maybe a movie could be a hit without following his formula he chooses to deny reality.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since I brought up the Memento stuff in the book I felt like I might as well share the sections where he mentioned Memento just so people who haven't read it can truly appreciate this strange grudge.

quote:

So now that I’ve laid out these 15 beats for you, and used examples like What’s Up, Doc?, I’m sure all you hip, young screenwriting whipper-snappers are saying, yeah, right old man. Maybe this applied in your day, but we don’t need it anymore. We eschew the need to “like” a hero (we dig Lara Croft!!!) and those boring old story beats are passé. Who needs ’em? What about Memento!! Have I grasped the basic gestalt of your objection?

Have I grasped the basic gestalt of your objection?

Existential dilemmas are what close on Saturday night, as the low-performing art house gem Memento proves. Gimmick or really dull movie? You decide.

If so, and though I’ve tried to pepper my examples with many newer movies, like Legally Blonde, you still may not believe me when I say this stuff applies. Still. Always. So for you nay-sayers, who say nay, let me use an example from my genre, PG Comedy, that shows how these beats apply in the modern world you need to master.

Oh, and btw, screw Memento!

quote:

For extra credit, look at Memento. Yes, it’s an entertaining movie; yes, it even falls into the category of genre “Dude with a Problem.” Does it also match the beats of the BS2? Or is it just a gimmick that cannot be applied to any other movie? HINT: For all the hullabaloo surrounding Memento, guess how much it made?

And if you want to seriously debate the value of Memento in modern society, please go ahead and contact me at the e-mail address provided in Chapter One. But be ready for one hell of an argument from me!! I know how much Memento made.

Honestly in digging up these sections I also forgot how he used Lara Croft as an example of an "unlikable" protagonist and that's why you should never write one. lmao.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

ah, now that i'm actually exposed to passages from this book it's incredibly obvious why a youtube movie essay person would think it's something worth invoking, it's where they all got their writing style from

i can practically see the quick cuts in my mind's eye, suddenly pulling up a shot of lara croft scowling for that parenthetical, a picture of a judge gavel or the statue of justice when he says 'you decide', the plea to leave a comment below if you disagree

Dang, I didn't think of it that way but you're absolutely right haha.

And to wrap it all the way back to Man of Steel, I think the passage about why he specifically hates Lara Croft as a protagonist sure would explain why someone who's really into that particular thought process would hate its portrayal of Superman.

quote:

Take a hip, slick movie like Lara Croft 2 for example. They spent a fortune on that film. And everyone is still wondering what happened. They can’t figure out why they didn’t bring in the audience of targeted men. It’s not surprising to me. What’s wrong with this picture? Where did the filmmakers go awry? To me it’s really very simple: I don’t like the Lara Croft character. Why would I? She’s cold and humorless. And while that’s fine in the solitary world of video games and comics, it doesn’t make me want to leave my home to go see the movie. The people who produced this film think they can get you to like her by making her “cool.” This is what amounts to “character development” in au currant movies: “She drives a cool car.” That’s someone’s idea of how to create a winning hero.

Well, folks, I don’t care about how “cool” it is, this isn’t going to work.

Why?

Because liking the person we go on a journey with is the single most important element in drawing us into the story.

Which brings us to the title of this book: Save the Cat!

Save the what?

I call it the “Save the Cat” scene. They don’t put it into movies anymore. And it’s basic. It’s the scene where we meet the hero and the hero does something — like saving a cat — that defines who he is and makes us, the audience, like him.

In the thriller, Sea of Love, Al Pacino is a cop. Scene One finds him in the middle of a sting operation. Parole violators have been lured by the promise of meeting the N.Y. Yankees, but when they arrive it’s Al and his cop buddies waiting to bust them. So Al’s “cool.” (He’s got a cool idea for a sting anyway.) But on his way out he also does something nice. Al spots another lawbreaker, who’s brought his son, coming late to the sting. Seeing the Dad with his kid, Al flashes his badge at the man who nods in understanding and exits quick. Al lets this guy off the hook because he has his young son with him. And just so you know Al hasn’t gone totally soft, he also gets to say a cool line to the crook: “Catch you later…” Well, I don’t know about you, but I like Al. I’ll go anywhere he takes me now and you know what else? I’ll be rooting to see him win. All based on a two second interaction between Al and a Dad with his baseball-fan kid.

Can you imagine if the makers of Lara Croft 2 spent $4 on a good Save the Cat scene instead of the $2.5 million they spent developing that new latex body suit for Angelina Jolie? They might’ve done a whole lot better.

The idea that it is inherently bad for a protagonist to be "cold and humorless" sure is something (and also his example of a likeable protagonist is, uh, well I haven't seen that movie in question but based on that description what the gently caress).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lessthankyle posted:

Anecdotally, The Fountainhead also seems to be pretty popular with some of the artists I know, they couldn't care less about Rand, but the point of the story obviously strikes a chord with them.

Heck, when it comes to some famous artists it's known that Spielberg likes the film version of The Fountainhead, and Oliver Stone has wanted to make an adaption of it for a long time now. But for some strange reason nobody calls either of them objectivists!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Burkion posted:

I didn't even know

It's easy to not know they exist since they were Crackle original movies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lex is such a petty guy that it would absolutely be real piss. The only question is whether or not it's his own piss.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm sure the executives are simply distraught that a movie they greenlit and released is doing well. Truly the worst-case scenario for a movie studio.

Executives can be some of the pettiest motherfuckers alive so I can believe it, especially since there's a lot about the story behind the Snydercut that paints a lot of them in a bad light.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

I believe Babylon 5 also had problems over the years with regard to rights and further development in part because one of the execs at Warner Bros had it out for the show, for whatever that is worth

execs don't work for the benefit of audiences, or even the company - they work for themselves, and kneecapping a product because it makes the individual executive look bad or shortsighted isn't all that far out there. to be clear it's not a specific conspiracy or anything, just boardroom politics as usual

Something I think about a lot is how there are countless examples of a new executive being put in charge that will then kill off a lot of profitable stuff (unless it is incredibly profitable) just because it was approved by the previous guy. Whole lot of corporate dick-waving.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...you can convert almost wholesale and make it good. The only change I would make is to change the heroes that Doomsday curbstomps before running into Superman from c listers to big name heroes like Wonder Woman.

They actually more or less did that with the second time they animated that story for their animated movie universe stuff. It keeps a lot of good stuff from the basic structure of the story without being boggled down in a lot of pointless 90s comic continuity.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've posted excerpts before in this thread but Save the Cat is a v epic book

quote:

Take a hip, slick movie like Lara Croft 2 for example. They spent a fortune on that film. And everyone is still wondering what happened. They can’t figure out why they didn’t bring in the audience of targeted men. It’s not surprising to me. What’s wrong with this picture? Where did the filmmakers go awry? To me it’s really very simple: I don’t like the Lara Croft character. Why would I? She’s cold and humorless. And while that’s fine in the solitary world of video games and comics, it doesn’t make me want to leave my home to go see the movie. The people who produced this film think they can get you to like her by making her “cool.” This is what amounts to “character development” in au currant movies: “She drives a cool car.” That’s someone’s idea of how to create a winning hero.

Well, folks, I don’t care about how “cool” it is, this isn’t going to work.

Why?

Because liking the person we go on a journey with is the single most important element in drawing us into the story.

Which brings us to the title of this book: Save the Cat!

Save the what?

I call it the “Save the Cat” scene. They don’t put it into movies anymore. And it’s basic. It’s the scene where we meet the hero and the hero does something — like saving a cat — that defines who he is and makes us, the audience, like him.

In the thriller, Sea of Love, Al Pacino is a cop. Scene One finds him in the middle of a sting operation. Parole violators have been lured by the promise of meeting the N.Y. Yankees, but when they arrive it’s Al and his cop buddies waiting to bust them. So Al’s “cool.” (He’s got a cool idea for a sting anyway.) But on his way out he also does something nice. Al spots another lawbreaker, who’s brought his son, coming late to the sting. Seeing the Dad with his kid, Al flashes his badge at the man who nods in understanding and exits quick. Al lets this guy off the hook because he has his young son with him. And just so you know Al hasn’t gone totally soft, he also gets to say a cool line to the crook: “Catch you later…” Well, I don’t know about you, but I like Al. I’ll go anywhere he takes me now and you know what else? I’ll be rooting to see him win. All based on a two second interaction between Al and a Dad with his baseball-fan kid.

Can you imagine if the makers of Lara Croft 2 spent $4 on a good Save the Cat scene instead of the $2.5 million they spent developing that new latex body suit for Angelina Jolie? They might’ve done a whole lot better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the bizarre Memento grudge:

quote:

So now that I’ve laid out these 15 beats for you, and used examples like What’s Up, Doc?, I’m sure all you hip, young screenwriting whipper-snappers are saying, yeah, right old man. Maybe this applied in your day, but we don’t need it anymore. We eschew the need to “like” a hero (we dig Lara Croft!!!) and those boring old story beats are passé. Who needs ’em? What about Memento!! Have I grasped the basic gestalt of your objection?

Existential dilemmas are what close on Saturday night, as the low-performing art house gem Memento proves. Gimmick or really dull movie? You decide.

If so, and though I’ve tried to pepper my examples with many newer movies, like Legally Blonde, you still may not believe me when I say this stuff applies. Still. Always. So for you nay-sayers, who say nay, let me use an example from my genre, PG Comedy, that shows how these beats apply in the modern world you need to master.

Oh, and btw, screw Memento!

quote:

For extra credit, look at Memento. Yes, it’s an entertaining movie; yes, it even falls into the category of genre “Dude with a Problem.” Does it also match the beats of the BS2? Or is it just a gimmick that cannot be applied to any other movie? HINT: For all the hullabaloo surrounding Memento, guess how much it made?

And if you want to seriously debate the value of Memento in modern society, please go ahead and contact me at the e-mail address provided in Chapter One. But be ready for one hell of an argument from me!! I know how much Memento made.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I missed this the first time around but Save The Cat is absolutely worth a read, it's even dumber than Youtube poo poo if you can believe it.

I think my favorite part (besides his grudge against Memento for being a successful movie despite not fitting his formula) is that he keeps bragging about how many scripts he has sold, and that he even sold a script to Spielberg!

Sure, Spielberg never made a movie out of his script. And as for the rest only two movies based on his scripts were ever made. But he sold *so* many scripts!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

The worst thing the Plinkett reviews did (and it's not just them) is embolden a lot of people to think they know a lot more about criticism than they do because they can point out what a character arc is. Or how conversations are traditionally shot. So now Twitter and Reddit and YouTube has a deluge of people repeating things they never really understood to begin with.

It's why you tend to see the same criticisms framed the same way. To the point where you can usually trace back where someone got their criticisms from. Like I know if anyone wants to pull out the old Snyder is an Islamaphobe or he hates gay people then I know they're just repeating what Maggie Mae Fish said in her video. There's no original thought, no attempt to engage with the art, it's just repeating someone else's points.

SHOT REVERSE SHOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a lot of dumb things about that article but a minor detail that seems real odd to me is that they specifically pointed out that the owner of a Snyder fansite is Chinese.