Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Libs should ask Jesus what he thought of oligarchs or anyone who had wealth.

Could you imagine the hot takes after he drove the merchants from the temple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Re-Animator of course has a bunch of gross oral sex jokes.

Re-Animator is basically gross jokes, gore and Jeff Combs being amazing. Also Barbara Crampton

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Looks like JJ Abrams is producing the next Henry Cavill Superman with Ta-nehisi Coates writing.

🥲

What if Superman....had lens flare on his smile?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

josh04 posted:

Dexxy J's homestead being leaned on in the bottom left of this image, for reference:

The junction shot could be a miniature or a detailed model made to reference footage - there are a few palm trees that are fictional but otherwise it's a pretty close match, zombies aside. If it is a recreation it's amusing that they used the real adverts:

But it doesn't really make a difference overall - there's no correct level of authenticity for a film about a zombie apocalypse Las Vegas.

Have you seen Showgirls? Not joking that movie captures the vibe of Vegas so well.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

josh04 posted:

Right, but your criticisms can't decide if the problem is tangible or intangible; the straightforward reading of the shot is that the crowd of zombies lured to their doom by the big flashy smoke grenade are akin to the crowds of regular people who used to be lured by the big shiny lion statue - and as you noted, that the US government has no qualms in blowing them up (Vegas ofc famously downwind of atomic test sites). The zombies are an indistinct mass, although made more so by youtube compression on top of the basic image, and the physical aspects of the lens are emphasised. What's "bad" about this? What isn't working?

No, I'll add it to the list. When I think "Vegas" I'm generally thinking about Umberto Eco's "Travels in Hyperreality" (sneaky pdf link)

Fair warning it's a doozy of baffling choices and amazing moments of campy nonsense, but it's the first time I've seen Vegas on screen that gave me the same general feeling of unease and disgust that actually being in Vegas made me feel.

Also there's a fan cut in the style of David Lynch that's actually really good https://vimeo.com/499554519 although I kinda recommend the original first just so you have the proper "Showgirls" experience.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

A mustache and mullet in zsjl would have owned

I mean, that would have been fairly accurate to the Death and Return comics. Superman returns from the grave in a sweet black and silver outfit (also carrying guys if I'm remembering correctly for reasons that escape me now lol 90s comics) and rocking a sweet rear end mullet.

GIVE ME GUN TOTING MULLET SUPERMAN SYNDER YOU COWARD!

Legit loved ZSJL, watched MoS and BvS ultimate before starting it and made it about an hour in before I had to tap and go to sleep Friday night.

I can't wait for the 4K disc to be released.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

oh I know and snyder has said he wanted the mullet but wb balked. I still want it!

Well then I amend my previous statement.

GIVE ME THE MULLET CUT WB YOU COWARDS!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Ok from a million pages ago but Death/Reign of Superman/men was the first big Comics Thing I got into and I remember a lot of it.

Doomsday "kills" Superman by basically beating him to death and, it's assumed, Superman dies due to internal injuries or whatever.

He's given a burial, a monument is made, and later we find our that his tomb has been graverobbed and his body is missing.

Later on, we learn that the Visor Superman (actually the Eradicator, a repository of Kryptonian history out to recreate Krypton) stole the body to place it in the Fortress of Solitude in a nutrient-rich healing chamber. Turns out Superman wasn't dead-dead, but the kinetic impact of the battle and his relentless fighting essentially "drained" his super solar-cells and Kal El was instead in some kind of Kyrptonian Healing Coma of next-to-no metabolic activity so that he could recover. This is why the mullet happened, as his hair continued to grow. The Black Suit is supposed to help with solar absorption, as well as looking vaguely like Kryptonian Funeral Rites attire.

The Eradicator, conveniently, dips into the healing chamber from now and then to "top off" his energy-based powers derived from Kal-El.

At some point, Superman recovers enough to be awakened, but functionally without any of his abilities. He gets a pair of jump-jet boots to help him fly and joins Steel, Hal Jordan and the Eradicator in assaulting the Coast City stronghold of Mongul/Cyborg Superman.

Because he's powerless, he picks up a bunch of cool 90s guns to help out. Cyborg Supes tries to kill him with a shot of superconcentrated Kryptonite from a ray gun, Eradicator jumps in and the radiation is filtered through him and hits Kal El. He tastes the rainbow and his powers are restored.

I legit love the Death and Return series. It's such a fun 90's rear end comic with all kinds of amazing goofy poo poo like Superboy wearing a leather jacket and saying "Don't call me Superboy".

Steel is cool, Cyborg Superman is cool.

Super coma is goofy as poo poo but lol comics. It's legit one of my favorite arcs, from the Detroit Justice League getting their poo poo wrecked by Doomsday until the end when Supermullet returns with guns.

I wonder if Knightfall is as fun of an arc, I've never gotten around to reading it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Roth posted:

Azbats ftw

:allears: MUH childhood. I remember seeing that as a kid and thinking it was the coolest poo poo ever. I was in second grade and Batman was the coolest poo poo ever anyway and now it was even better

Speaking of Bane, he's one of my favorite characters in the Harley Quinn series, which is surprisingly better than expected.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Darko posted:

I'd say most people learned about her and Darkseid from Superman the Animated Series. I was always weirded out by all the New Gods stuff as a kid.

I think that's kinda the point of the New Gods. I mean they're Jack Kirby characters from the 70's. poo poo was weird.

New Gods are cool and Kirby is dope as hell.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

JonathonSpectre posted:

If the Ultimate Cut (aka what ZS actually wanted) had been released in theaters, BvS would have cracked a billion easy and WB wouldn't have had to panic-gently caress itself out of the golden goose.

"Cut all the connecting tissue out so we can jam in an extra showing a day," is one of the worst calls any studio has ever made about any movie, ever. And then they were going to do the exact same thing to JL.

See, 5 showings a day with 5 people each due to poo poo word-of-mouth is MUCH better than 4 showings with 100+ people each. That's 20% more showings! That means 20% more profits!

Right?

No because some people on the internet said it was bad and not like the good capeshit movies they liked and that's not ok! Homogized entertainment slurry for all god drat it!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Stop trying to make "cape poo poo" a thing, it just sounds lame

I'll call these whatever I please and "Capeshit" fits perfectly. Sorry you hate fun

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

McCloud posted:

Extremely good post/name combo here

:D

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...you can convert almost wholesale and make it good. The only change I would make is to change the heroes that Doomsday curbstomps before running into Superman from c listers to big name heroes like Wonder Woman.

How dare you rob me of seeing Justice League: Detroit getting absolutely demolished. Also Superboy with a leather jacket and goofy rear end 90's glasses.

What I'm saying is adapt Death and Return as is and I'll watch that poo poo. Mullet and all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Cool more snyder chat to moderate in a month

:getin:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alexander Hamilton posted:

What was the discourse over his Dawn of the Dead remake, if I can open that can of worms? I don't remember too much around it besides the fast zombie thing (which I still don't quite get the outrage about).

At the time that's all I remember it being, people bitching about a remake and that the zombies were fast.

Most of what I heard after it came out were complaints about the girl with the dog.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was reading Sin City, the TPBs included the letters pages. I remember that people wrote in to complain about Miho the Ninja Girl being too superheroic.

Instead of explaining that this is pulp fiction and doesn't have to be realistic, Millar claimed that yes, if you train hard enough it's totally possible to shoot a guy through the mouth with an arrow from hundreds of yards away while doing a backflip. Even setting his quasi-fascist politics aside, Millar is a little nuts.

Frank Miller wrote Sin City not Mark Millar.

Frank Miller is also a trash person so same same

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Darko posted:

I read Nolan's as extremely asexual and the suit being entirely blocky and militarized and angular because he doesn't see anything as sexy. He put Rachael on a pedestal as an ideal of wanting a relationship, but only as an ideal - Talia basically conned him into having sex with her and he didn't care at all about it afterwards, and in Catwoman, he seems to have found his platonic ideal friend-relationship that is an intellectual equal but sexual passion free.

His suit is pure functionality fascination and not about actual sexual repression or projecting because Nolan Batman doesn't show that he cares in the slightest and is by far the most asexual representation of Batman.

On the flip side Dini-Timm Batman is by FAR the most horny and I don't think he found a woman that he didn't want to have sex with. His "canon-first" appearance has Im all horny over the Phantasm, then he's all about Selena, then Zatanna, Talia, and Batgirl (yeesh), Lois (lol), Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Poison Ivy's plant woman...

Let us not forget the 70's era Neal Adams barrel chested sex god Batman. 70's grey and blue suit batman hosed

Actually I'm pretty sure the Talia storyline is from that period.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

roffels posted:

Are they going to do some "Flash enters an alternate universe where they have a Supergirl instead of Superman" thing? Like, Carla Kent or something silly.

I believe it's supposed to be based on Flashpoint or something so yes, he does run into other dimensions. And her name is Kara Zor El :goonsay:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Space Fish posted:

The full quote:
"It’s incredibly gratifying and free to be using characters that are considered villains because you just have so much more leeway. A perfect example of that is in this third season of ‘Harley’ [when] we had a moment where Batman was going down on Catwoman. And DC was like, ‘You can’t do that. You absolutely cannot do that.’ They’re like, ‘Heroes don’t do that.’ So, we said, ‘Are you saying heroes are just selfish lovers?’ They were like, ‘No, it’s that we sell consumer toys for heroes. It’s hard to sell a toy if Batman is also going down on someone.’"

Lol what a beautifully stupid thing to say.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kojima/Synder team up when?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

wyoming posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm fine with.

Yeah I'll gladly take WB throwing 15 different DC movies at me that aren't connected to each other than yet another attempt at doing this "Cinematic Universe" poo poo.

Call it a "Multiverse" if it makes the marketing people happy, just make decent movies.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I too need another scrolling tag to prove that I am in fact, a goony goon

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I just did :sickos: out loud when I saw I got my tag.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

I can only picture him like this
https://youtu.be/6i7ycxiog40

Real one is even better than the parody Lol

https://youtu.be/QkYoBUlSE0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

BWAAAAaaaa the Frenssh

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

It made me immediately think of Javik from Mass Effect 3.

Synder's Mass Effect. Need that in my life.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Aces High posted:

Cast Bautista as Wrex, do the mocap stuff like what they did for Alita.

Henry Cavill would be a good choice for Male Shep, or he could be Kaiden

I think Antje Traue would be awesome as Femshep, especially if they go hardass, gets results renegade Shep.

Jena Malone as Liara

But who would be Garrus?

Oh my god I want to hear Big Dave say "Shepard" a billion different ways now :allears: Cavill absolutely for Male shep, don't waste him on loving Kaiden. Michael Shannon as the voice of Garrus. Everything else about your post is correct and good.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Aces High posted:

I was originally gonna say Amy Adams as as Liara, then maybe you put Jena Malone as Yeoman Chambers if you make the whole trilogy but I feel there's a better character for Adams that isn't coming to mind. Maybe Ashley?

Michael Shannon as The Illusive Man?

Oh poo poo, if we have Bautista as Wrex then we have a no-brainer of Jason Momoa as Grunt! Regardless of who you have as Shepard, that one "Shepard" conversation between the three of them from the Citadel party would be amazing to behold

Isn't Martin Sheen still alive? Are we really going to pass up letting Martin Sheen play the Illusive Man more? Because that's a crime.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Let's Go Walden

We start that one up and there are going to be a lot of confused English lit teachers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I was raised Catholic and haven’t been inside a church in five years

Please remember this post in 10 years as me basically admitting that I’m the Pope

poo poo if that's the criteria then I'm the pope too.

Pope Fight

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I saw this movie years ago when it hit DVD (pretty sure I was still working at either Blockbuster or Hollywood video at the time) and I remember it being one the first really dark roles I'd ever seen Williams in.

I remember liking it but it's also been a decade plus at this point.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Bad Sonic face was not the directors vision, it was merely what the studio gave him. If anything he's partially responsible for using the reaction to convince the studio to get a new design

Cmon we know Sega had a hand in that awful design too, they had to have signed off on it for it to get as far as that first trailer that made everyone go "YO WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEE?!"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Please clap

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

No it was because Sam Raimi liked the temp score more he used for spider man 2 where he used Hellraiser music and he wanted elfman to do something like it. And elfman said something like if you want Hellraiser get Chris young!

And so he did.

There was more to it. But they did make up eventually

Yo those first two Hellraiser soundtracks are loving amazing. Rami made the right choice is what I'm saying.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oh wow yeah. I know composers steal from themselves (listen to any two John Williams scores you'll hear what I mean) but god drat Chris, practically reusing the Hellbound score with some slight changes there.

gently caress I need to rewatched Spider-Man 2 I guess

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

teagone posted:

I feel like David Lynch would be the unpredictable psycho that’d make it pretty close to the end.

Lynch would use his powers of transcendental meditation to do the Last Jedi ghost thing while the other directors fight.

All while he explains the weather for the last week. When the dust settles, there is only Lynch.

The sleeper has awakend

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I could die happy if I could hear David Lynch say "It is Friday my dudes" just once.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

teagone posted:

In a few years time we're gonna get another TMNT reboot with Timothee Chalamet as Casey Jones.

I'm not sure if I love this idea or I hate it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Just replace whatever the movie's climax was going to be with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kno3xDw27bY

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus even as someone in the LXG is a very bad movie (with a great cast) camp, within a year or so of it we also got Bulletproof Monk, Catwoman, Blade: Trinity, etc. so it's not like it was even particularly disastrous for when it came out.

But Blade Trinity had the best insult. And CGI Snipes eyes!

God drat I love that stupid trash film so much.