Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

https://twitter.com/TheQueenClaire/status/1263234143963447296

They've invented a stereotype in their head and are very, very angry at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

30 million doesn't seem like all that much for a modern special effects extravaganza. For Hollywood that's pocket change.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

Cats still does not exist.

That would explain a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently Lucas calls them laser swords in interviews, unless the interviewer does, then he corrects them and calls them lightsabers.

I have a ridiculous fantasy of continuing to variously call them beam katanas, bright blades, luminous flamberges etc. until someone probably tries to kill me.

unrelatedly: People getting mad about video games and movies are still less pathetic than people getting mad about people getting mad at video games and movies.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 22, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something very Silver Age about 'oh yeah, Superman can hike up into the spirit realm'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While that's a fun idea I dunno if that really seems to be his coherent plan so much as throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, the whole Steppenwolf bit is him using blood magic to commune with Satan and all. Though the Justice League trailers part complete with logos would make a lot of sense if he's considering them potential recruits.

That also does make a fun mental image of a Legion of Doom lineup specifically riffing on the Avengers. Solomon Grundy is usually the Hulk equivalent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lex communicates with Steppenwolf after his initial plan fails.

Lex’s tactics are, as you say, just to set up a series of “unwinnable” situations where Superman will hopefully end up insane, reviled, and/or dead. But Lex‘s underlying reason for destroying Superman is so that he can do exactly what Waller and Wayne do in the sequels: put together his own League/Squad of obedient costumed vigilantes to cement his world dominance.

Basically, it’s exactly what Ozymandias does in Watchmen by unleashing the S.Q.U.I.D..

Another way to look at it: what if Thanos was genetically engineered by Tony Stark in order to create demand for his services? (And isn’t that kind-of the subtext in Avengers 2?)

I think Lex engineering a catastrophe to turn people against Superman and/or make himself look like the hero and then turn people against Superman is something he's been pulling long before Watchmen, though it would be about time DC took some ideas from that other than edgy antiheroes.

Still find it funny that Thanos originally made his debut fighting Iron Man and it finally came full circle. And that's kind of the subtext in every Iron Man movie and most comic stories, and in general that Stark's 'heroics' are like 90% cleaning up his own mess.

Also I just realised I'm kind of describing Norman Osborn's Thunderbolts. (and Osborn is basically the Marvel counterpart to Lex Luthor who also happens to be the Joker) That's another idea the MCU should steal and probably would end up mediocre in execution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darko posted:

You guys have pretty much gone to discussing Birthright (which MoS pulled from with its actual Kryptonian attack in Metropolis) where Lex engineered a fake Kryptonian attack in Metropolis so he could save everyone and so Clark would look bad.

I'm not sure if I'd vaguely heard of that or was just correctly assuming it's something Lex has tried to pull at some point.

Also I'm going to be pondering the makeup of the Lexvengers probably all night now. So tempting to include Captain Nazi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Man of Steel and BvS also have the Metropolis fight's aftermath explicitly styled after 9/11, and natural disasters. You do see people very obviously getting crushed to death barely offscreen by the gravity generator, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Make sense considering it's been so long since a movie has made them feel an emotion they find it terrifying and want it to go away forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The funny thing is they even have the whole thing with the air force guy who's a famous actor whose name I forget impressing the kryptonian chick by 9/11ing the alien superweapon with a Klingon one-liner

They probably gently caress in the phantom zone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

You forget that Batman can Do Anything and part of his appeal to schmucks is that he is a schmuck who successfully pretends he's not a schmuck for most of the day. They like bloodthirsty psycho Batman well enough, but want him to be able to pretend he's Adam West whenever necessary because he's just SO cool. Like Dexter!

Though they also get mad when he's Adam West because he's not serious and grimdark enough.

The Lego Batman Movie had it right with Batman being a defective manchild who needs to learn to relate to people, including his enemies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Fish posted:

Miles fights his uncle's employer to prevent kidnapping across dimensions. The uncle nearly kills his own nephew.

However, I would agree that making his dad Officer Jefferson Davis is a hell of a coincidence.

That name's straight from the comics. The Ultimate universe is uh... a bit of a ride.

Funny thing is that since so much of Miles Morales' comic characterisation had been stolen by MCU Peter Parker, Spider-verse basically had to invent a personality from scratch for him, and they succeeded by making him kind of the opposite of Peter as an extroverted, creative and artistically inclined kid still figuring out his place in the world, while Peter B is specifically a Peter Parker throwback to the Ditko version as an aloof, selfish introvert.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Burkion posted:

I think the only thing I hate more than the articles that try to twist the conversation so that every single person who wanted the Snyder cut was an alt right shithead who's an entitled child or whatever bullshit are the counter videos that are hosted by people who don't give a poo poo about the Snyder Cut and are just using it as an excuse to poo poo on people they don't like, and only nominally support what's going on because it happens to align with their own views. There's just some shifty, click bait bullshit to that that I cannot stand.

The culture wars in a nutshell is people taking some completely inconsequential issue and inventing pretty much all of the reasons and context in their head as a strawman they can totally pwn with Facts and Logic based on some half-remembered first impression and a piece of media they enjoyed or didn't enjoy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like the key difference with Marvel is that they already have things locked down so tightly that it's rare for them to let a project get too out of bounds in the first place. The Star Wars stuff between JJ's bookends all started out being creator-driven projects that they apparently freaked out about and decided to go in and mangle, the most similar Marvel project was Wright's Ant-Man and that got nipped in the bud super early.

I think Solo might have been an early warning sign that Lucasfilm has no real idea what they're doing with making the movies and interferes both too much and not enough.

Marvel Studios enforces a consistent tone across the MCU, which while having plenty to criticise, tends to mean there's at least a level of consistency where if you like one you'll probably enjoy the rest. The sequel trilogy lacks a consistent voice and ends up at war with itself, as well as suffering from the JJ Abrams patented Mystery Box with a hasty, stupid conclusion' where they clearly have no idea what they're actually going to do with all this foreshadowing.

I still prefer my mental image of TROS where Palpatine is a necromancer commanding a ghost fleet of Star Destroyer hulks and animated empty suits of Stormtrooper armour.

More on topic: The whole Martha sequence works thematically when you realise it's Batman turning away from re-enacting Joe Chill and instead realises he's Superman's spiritual brother, and in his mind, rescuing Martha becomes a do-over of that night. With of course the capstone being Martha greeting him like one of little Clark's friends from school.

A lot of people miss that Batman is a childish character, and that's what makes him interesting. He's frozen like a photograph that night in the alley. Been compared that while the Punisher is an adult who loses his family to violence and becomes a grown man's idea of vengeance- wearing a symbol of death and killing the bad guys with guns- Batman is a child who loses his family and become's a child's idea of vengeance, becoming a symbol of fear and enforcing less vulgar law and more the base rules of right and wrong as he understands them.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

Same. It's nice 'anyone can be spiderman' message is kinda undercut when it follows up with 'but every spiderman in his/her assigned place' and excludes the big fat guy who doesn't handle his grief well

What do you mean? If it's about them returning home in the end, one of the biggest themes of the movie is that of family and community, and that the mask isn't anything more than a superficial seperation from a Spider-person's own identity (albeit a necessary one for their safety) and every Spider-person has a home to go back to and people that care about them and miss them. Especially since a big part of the beginning is how Miles Morales feels uprooted from his home and community to go to an alienating, elitist magnet school with his choices taken away from him.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Batman wakes up every day and open palm slams a tape into the VCR. It's Chronicles of Riddick and right then and there he does all the moves alongside the main character, Riddick, and he does them hard.

When Superman wrecks his car he snidely quips: "Tell me, can you say you escaped the Galaxy's most dangerous prison? I can. And I say it every day."

This but it's The Gray Ghost

Darko posted:

Romance is typically one of those "nerd complaints because it's different" things. The problem with the Hobbit movies is a bunch of stupid excessive cartoonish action scenes that take forever despite not being interesting at all, when the book is all about a little witty guy tricking stuff and turning invisible while the big stuff is happening away from him, because the little stuff is more fun and interesting. The best part of the Hobbit movies are when they are singing and doing dishes and stuff like that.

Though frankly romantic subplots are not something that movies need more of, especially given how many are agonisingly formulaic and/or have really unhealthy undertones. There's kind of a theme of late that movies and shows are moving away from romantic subplots for every single main character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Ultimate Edition is basically what the movie was supposed to be and it really shows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Equeen posted:

Maybe their low-key happy that Joss Whedon cut out a lot scenes with black people in them.

Would not be surprising that fake woke Whedon in turn appeals to the fake woke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Missed opportunity for Luthor in Arkham.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

and even if the fashion is "out of date" every single human being in the movie looks loving rad as hell so who could possibly care? like if i ever decided to start presenting femme, Harley's fashion sense is a loving mood

It's not like stylistic anachronism is alien to the Batman franchise. Though I can't help but think Harley has a helluva good start on being a Cool Aunt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And that just got sad/even more hilarious by the time Andromeda came along.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

I can not speak for the reviewers here but CW is entertaining, BvS is not. And if you're bloated and entertaining, then at least you're entertaining.

Describe 3 scenes you remember from Civil War.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

If your going to compare a DC and MC film one-to-one in that way, a good set are MOS and T:R. Both place the hero as heirs to a crumbling colonialist empire in conflict with other successors, have elaborate flashback sequences in a different art style, extensive planet-shattering apocalypses, somewhat dour takes on heroes that are typically sanguine, etc etc.

And that just makes me think Dragon Ball. Hell, DBS: Broly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I only know 300 2 has a sex fight

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't think anyone is debating this. It's documented that the military had to send in advisors to talk to people about how the show 24, which was a right-wing fever dream, was not reality, and that they should not be torturing people.

Having said that, nobody is acting like the Hulk, there isn't some wellspring of people trying to fight crime throwing circular shields, no mass movement has been built around a Midsommar festival sacrifice. Where this stuff really works is when it shows something in the modern, real world that people don't have direct experience with - their brain then fills the gaps with fiction. Heroic cop shows are literally ten-thousand times worse for society than 300 could ever dream of being. Decades of that has produced literally millions of bootlickers.

Also has come up that romantic comedies and subplots presenting a hilariously, dangerously wrong idea of what relationships and pursuit of them his like has caused all kinds of damage to people, encouraging obsession and stalking as an ideal expression of attraction, and caused at least one mass shooting as a result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martman posted:

Would really help those movies if the male lead's advice-giving buddy was a goat man

I'm p sure this was literally an entire genre in ancient greece

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, I kinda liked the idea that Zod is more of a great fighter on paper, but the Kryptonian caste system is ultimately bullshit and Jor-El is basically Krypton's version of Doc Savage. Kind of the whole point with Kal-El is that he's the first naturally born baby anyone on Krypton's known about in forever as the society's turned terminally inward to the point of literally mining out its own core causing the planet to implode. Zod is a dead-ender fascist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

You'd think that one look at Steven Seagal's career would make actors think twice about believing they should never lose an onscreen fight.

This is why wrestlers make surprisingly good actors, they know roles.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

There's not really an explanation other than horny that Batman sees Superman and immediately decide that he needs killin' but he sees Wonder Woman and immediately tries to help her.

Eh, BvS Batman is played up more than most as being a tragic momma's boy. To him, men are threats, women are vulnerable. Been noted by SMG, I think, as a contrast to the Nolan movies that mostly focus on Thomas Wayne.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even then, Zod's not made to be a fighter, he's made to be a general. Faora actually forms a bit of a rapport with the Law and Order guy because he's a fellow soldier who can understand her hosed up rhetoric, while Zod's only answer to everything is 'lead conquest of it and kill all who get in the way'. Like, he wants Jor-El's help at first for being the only other one who recognises poo poo is hosed but picks a fight with him over not doing it the way Zod wants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

These people have got no idea what they want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've read The Unfunnies. Don't ask why. I think it was like a car wreck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A bit funny given the Silver Age was basically Lois and Lana desperately lusting for Superman who mostly reacts like they have cooties. There is at least one comic where he's tired of their constant sexual harassment and tries to avoid them by going back in time and taking a job as a radio DJ rather than a reporter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

*Me, at the raccoon pawing through the trash* "you picked the wrong house bub" *throws 3 old chopsticks at it*

There's a Rocket Raccoon joke in here somewhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fittingly, about the only time you see Batman without a Robin or someone else to play off, it's with the Justice League. He needs peers. He functions differently with a protege/team of younger vigilantes versus a team of superheroes, but either way it brings out different things from him than punching bad guys alone.

The intro to Batman Beyond sums it up all too well- without a support network, he burns out physically and mentally. (see also the intro to TDKR) And the world moves on without him. (The hostage he rescues in said intro is the grown-up daughter of the socialite who was his on-off love interest/damsel in distress)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They don't want Superman. They want Dr Manhattan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wasn't there a front page article years ago about 'If movies were reviewed like video games'? Because I think that's the point we're actually at now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We need SMG to weigh in on pizza

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is my own fault for encouraging goons to continue talking about fast food

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hump day bitches! posted:

Oi Danno!!, Supamaan just knock out the sign.......Yeah nah , no hivis either or steel caps....the *unt ruining all that OHS.

When Zod shows up, you just say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've never known an Australian to say that Australian food is anything noteworthy