Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
someone watch this for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pGlYF3xLrM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
of all threads in cd, the snyderdome shouldn't be throwing rocks at michael bay

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Star Wars Theory has to be some kind of Disney op.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
People didn't think Verhoeven's Starship Troopers was satire at the time either.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Necrothatcher posted:

Be sure to watch the Ultimate Edition. It really turned me round on the movie

Yeah, same here.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

TBH I'm not sure I've ever noticed an aspect ratio in a movie, or if it switches between shots or not

The last two Transformer films will switch from IMAX to normal ratio shot to shot.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I can't believe noted objectivist-fascist Snyder included a scene where Clark Kent crushes his mother and girlfriend with a bear-like embrace in a cornfield! Not my Superman!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I just went and rewatched the scene, and as great of a moment as it is when Superman turns to Flash (and good lord, it really is), I had totally forgotten the Superman theme kicking in when he starts throwing punches. It's such a loving weird moment to do that. "Yeah, Superman, you go try to knock Flash's head off and destroy that monument! Time to kick the John Williams theme into high gear!" Like, it's not a super triumphant or inspirational moment or anything. Why would you bring the theme in there?

There's a bunch of stuff in there that I wonder will be in the Snydercut. Such as Wonder Woman saying 'Kal-El' which is just really strange. I really want to compare the whole thing in both cuts because the Whedon one feels like such a bastard cut together thing.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I feel like The Boys takes more shots at DC/Snyder than it does Marvel. The Seven's film was even a ref to Dawn of Justice and had a Man of Steel kinda logo. It's kinda dumb when Marvel is absolutely the reigning corporate king but the show still rules.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 19, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
afaik, cavill has only said he won't be shooting anything new for it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

I have to say I'm disappointed that Steppenwolf's face isn't also a weird insectile metal thing as per the concept art.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
even with all the loud twitter disapproval of snyder, people are overwhelmingly pro-snyder cut. just look at the like/dislike ratio on youtube, then compare it to, say, rise of skywalker trailers.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Robot Style posted:

Some of Joss' trademark villain sexual comments (see "Mewling Quim")

still can't believe that was in the film

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Tbqh I figured Supes killed the dude because he was threatening Lois

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Clark didn't kill anyone, the wall did. :smugpakent:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't know if I would call it a victory. There's going to be some real psycho poo poo out there after this starts to roll out in March and I hope you all enjoy getting "Snyder's Justice League is a dull, drab, self-important piece of grimdark garbage that shows why they should have never given him back the franchise" takes blasted out at you for 4 months or more. I don't know. We're in a different place than 2013/2016 and maybe more people will "get" what he's trying to do this time.

i think those people are just a loud, stupid minority fishing for stupid people to give them likes and patreon dollars

i thought there would've been a lot more thumbs-down on that trailer

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
can't believe pa kent raised superman to worship the troops, he can't keep getting away with it

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Hodgepodge posted:

her service in the IDF is kind of relevant considering the film recreates the murder of four kids by the IDF, except she's the good guy and saves them.

Is this legit

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
BRING ME PICTURES OF SNYDERMAN

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Drakyn posted:

Hey. McCloud commented on a source ripping on Sparta I posted in the Wonder Woman '84 thread, I suggested that there might be a better place to have a likely-divisive conversation about that, and he linked me here.
So here we are and here we go.

The problem I have with this particular criticism of the source I linked on Sparta being 100% shittery (a blog run by a historian), is that even if the film 300 (which the source chooses as the most generally recognizable modern example of Sparta in popular culture, which I think all of us can agree is fair enough) is entirely a very subtle Starship Troopersing of its source material, it's still quite valid for the source I linked to complain that many of the lovely things about Sparta's culture aren't presented or reflected upon in the film, satirically or not*.

The biggest example that the historian goes back to over and over is the film's eliding of the Helots, who were the vast, vast, VAST supermajority of the entire populace of Sparta, and who either don't exist at all in the story or are something like two to three background characters in a market scene who are presented as functionally identical to the free Spartan citizens that make up the entire rest of the cast present in the film, background or otherwise. You could argue that this is part of the satire - deliberately eliminating over 90% of the populace of Sparta in a film about Sparta - but if the general audience are liable to have no idea those people ever existed in the first place and if the film draws no attention or significance at all to the absurdity that is omitting them, is that really a more potent and shocking satire than it would have been to show Sparta as it was: filled almost entirely with brutalized slaves who the 'citizen' Spartans the film follows treat with absolute dismissive contempt and casual violence?
Would Gorgo performing a Spartan-women-are-tough-and-brave moment by stabbing the movie's traitorous sellout ring more or less bitingly hollow if fully half of all Spartans seen on-screen were downtrodden and overworked Helot women, desperately striving to keep their families alive while endlessly toiling to keep free Spartan citizens in luxurious sloth?

Another example could the film's showing of Spartan government, which was indeed a hosed up thing, but in a very different manner. The film depicts Sparta's lovely governance through the Ephors (a body of five randomly-selected officials who served one-year terms and mostly existed to press charges against the two kings if they got too big for their britches) being sort of creepy and self-serving mutant priests; the linked articles point out that a great deal of Sparta's lovely and rigidly unchangeable governance - including its stultifying willful inability to solve the very obvious problem of an ever-shrinking pool of Spartan citizens - came from ability of the two Spartan kings to control the relative wealth and prestige of their peers among Sparta's elite, who would then be most likely to end up elected into the governmental body of 28 old men (the gerousia) whose job it was to decide if the kings were guilty of anything the ephors charged them with.
Here's a wonderful example of the ways in which Sparta's government was rendered readily-corrupt and unable to adapt even in the ostensible best interests of its masters, but the film more or less leaves out the way that Spartan kings and Spartan elites were well-incentivized to cozy up with each other and did so with great regularity, putting the lie to any notions of equality amongst even the ~6% of Sparta's population that were free citizens. Would having more opportunities to show Leonidas as a hypocritical and self-serving jackass hurt the film?

Or we could go back to missing people again, and mention the omission of the thousand+ non-citizens and doubtless not-even-mentioned-but-present Helot slaves who were with the (titular) 300 Spartan citizens at Thermopylae. If the film's sincere I don't need to tell you how that's blatant mythologizing of awful people, but even if the film's satirical.... well, there's yet another big ripe opportunity to display the sheer audacious awfulness of Sparta. What better imagery could there be for Spartan freedom than to show that arrow-littered battlefield at Thermopylae, but with the shiny corpses of those celebrated 300 Spartan citizens outnumbered more than four to one by the ragged bodies of their slaves and scorned? Again, you can omit all of those people entirely from the film and say it serves the same purpose - delete the vast majority of one side of the combatants and say that well, that's just showing how deluded the Spartans are - but I honestly think that would be a much less striking fist in the eye of their lies than showing that falsehood outright and letting it rot.

Speaking of death, back to the child-murdering: the film shows kids being made to beat the poo poo out of each other and being sent out in the cold after dangerous animals with no protection. Sure, you can either read this as bluntly displaying ritualized indoctrination and abuse or as how to forge your wimpy infants into REAL BADASSES, but regardless of which you choose, it's got to be said that visualizing the choice of prey for Leonidas a wild animal rather than a frightened, unarmed, and untrained slave he waylays and murders in a barley field under cover of darkness definitely makes his feat more impressive than it historically was. And you can argue that the film's presenting the sort of propaganda the Spartans might enjoy - but well, wouldn't it be all the more jarring and truthful to show - truthfully! - that Spartan propaganda would celebrate the murder of a slave? Go on, keep the scene of 'proving yourself worthy,' but have Leonidas Jr. murdering a ragged and starved youth his own age in a field of crops at midnight from ambush. Keep the admiring narration and the laudation of Leonidas's deed by his peers-to-be, keep him dragging back a bloody trophy of his exploits. Wouldn't that be a loving TREAT to see?

I could go on and on and on beating more points here, but I hope you get my claim's gist: whether or not the author of the series of articles lambasting historical Sparta and its general depiction in modern pop culture is correct in his belief that 300 is not a satirical work, I think that he's absolutely correct in that many, many, many, MANY of Sparta's endless list of historical evils go utterly unknown by the public at large and even many people who know history, and that 300 perpetuated that general oversight. And that this is something of a shame, because one thing I hope we can all agree on - me, McCloud, the guy who wrote the blog I linked, this thread, everybody - is that if there was ever a society that could always use a MORE brutal and thorough skewering, it was Sparta.
gently caress those guys. gently caress those child-abusing, slavery-loving, hypocritical, indolent, contemptuous, inept, evil little fuckers to Hades and back with a bronze spear. And rejoice that their little corner of hideously oppressive violence ended its days as a humiliatingly backwater tourist trap for wealthy Romans. The only glory they've ever had in their time or any other was imaginary, and that will never change.

---

I'm not unaware that this topic, this film, this director, and this thread are all full of sensitive spots. I'm not unaware that some portion of any or everything of what I just said has likely been said before. All I can ask for is for your acceptance that the above, however poorly I've said it, is my earnest attempt at communicating my beliefs to you, and that if it disagrees with your own views that this is not an act of contrariness or shittery.

*This doesn't actually change anything about my argument, but for the sake of being as open as possible: I don't personally think of 300 as intentional satire in the same way Starship Troopers was, simply because one film has very, very, very easy to find records of its director saying 'I made this film a piss-take because the source material was blatantly fashy poo poo I wouldn't wipe my rear end with, let alone finish reading**' and the other film does not. And even then, Starship Troopers wasn't recognized as satire by a very large portion of its viewers, so clearly both works had issues communicating 'the subject of our film is not admirable' to a general audience regardless of what they were trying to do. Whatever the merits of subtlety in the arts, I don't think it's controversial to say that a satire that's unrecognizable as a satire isn't as effective a satire as it might have been.

**I, unlike Verhoeven, finished reading Starship Troopers, which is one of those accomplishments that you feel dirty about. Mind you, it says a lot that even in my late teens, as uncritical a reader as I still was, I absolutely thought I was reading unbearably purestrain propaganda by a chickenhawk shithead.

it was over 2000 years ago op

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

RBX posted:

Let me get this straight. This Ayn Rand fan that doesn't understand humans, thinks the story of 300 is "cool, thinks the Watchmen characters are "cool", would like to have Batman raped in a movie, who made Sucker Punch, thinks a brooding emo Superman that has to think about if he should save people while causing mass destruction should take over DC films as a whole? You're nuts. Scratch that I want it to happen just so that people can see the mess that would come of it. This dude does nothing but adaptations with decent visuals and nothing to say. Zack is everything you're deriding the MCU for being. He's the guy that wants the power fantasy. He's the guy that wants to just mash his action figures together and think about the rest later.

Snyder has done literally nothing to deserve any of this "drama" around him. "Big bad corporation wouldn't let me make my grand vision, trust me guys! I have pictures!" Get real dude. Keep this guy far, far away from DC. His stuff is long and boring and devoid of everything people expect when they come to these movies. It's all edgy just for edgys sake with nothing else beneath.

Like dude cherry picks the one decent scene in that movie of him flying as if it represents it as whole when it doesn't.

In that interrgation scene, yes at the start he says he allowed them to cuff him but the way it's acted and the whole tone of the scene is wayyy off and then he suddenly stands up, breaks the cuffs, and walks towards the people throws it fully into intimidation. There's no way you don't see that. He can verbally say whatever he wants but the actions and his tone says another.

what

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it's wild to me that people don't understand that superman breaking his cuffs is an act of intimidation, even if that isn't his intent, because he's saying 'you can't stop me from doing what i want, you're lucky i'm a nice guy.' like, somehow, zack just accidentally depicted superman that way, even though both films practically stop to say 'a superman is scary to us, even if it's not his fault'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
"he can say whatever he want but his actions and tone says another"

like hmmmmmmm, surely this is an accident

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
zack snyder's evangelion

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Horizon Burning posted:

zack snyder's evangelion

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Zack Snyder's Neon Genesis Evangelion

stolen valor!!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Wonderland Motherbox doesnt actually come out for the movies release, they said in an IG comment that it starts shipping in April.

Heresy!

I WILL FIND IT!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
https://movieweb.com/zack-snyder-responds-justice-league-toxic-fans/

Zack Snyder on the anti-Snyder cut people:

Zack Snyder posted:

"I just think that's sour grapes. There's really no other way to say it. We know the people who were the architects of that narrative, and it's pretty obvious what their agenda is. Those are people that I've been held back from confronting, by wiser people in the room. Because I'd love to get at some of these characters. Some direct conversation would be nice. Just to say, one, you don't know poo poo about what you're talking about. And we can break down everything they've ever [said]. I can make a list. There's a few of these guys where I could just get a list of everything they've ever said, that they thought was right, and [I could tell them] every single thing they've said is wrong."

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
please don't bring god awful TLJ chat into this thread

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
ahahahah people are so loving mad that this trailer exists and that they were wrong about the snydercut not existing. it's so loving sad because now all they've got to say is that 'it looks dumb'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

teagone posted:

There are actually people who still think the Snyder Cut didn't exist. Some even on this very forum. It's pretty funny!

there's people flailing about trying to find whatever scraps of information they can to prove that, like, the snyder cut "didn't exist" back when the movement started and what they're releasing now isn't actually the snyder cut. stop amending an ever-increasing amount of asterisks into your claim and just take the goddamn L!!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
like i can understand not liking a film but this behavior is loving pathological

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Blood Boils posted:

Horses are basically people in the Snyderverse, like dogs

Also lol at that vid description

hahaha holy gently caress

"A controversial tribute to the victims of the 9/11 attacks by the Budweiser Clydesdales and Zack Snyder, who would years later vaporize a section of New York and send Superman crashing into buildings on purpose. "

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

AccountSupervisor posted:

IIRC I saw this post in the RLM gbs thread, so probably.

that is an awful thread

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Terror Sweat posted:

They were also made up. Someone filed a FOIA request and the secret service has no record of it

Wrong

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
1. Don't feed the obvious, unfunny troll.

2. Mods, please ban the obvious, unfunny troll.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

it's still not 'his version', it's a version that was put together in light of the whedon theatrical release and for a totally different audience than a theatrical release. even if there had been no director switch, the theatrical version would not have been 4 hours and black-and-white and featuring Jesus Joker and nVidia Steppenwolf. the only way to make back $70 million plus marketing costs on a DVD special edition of a crummy special effects movie is to pander to its most hardcore fans. that's why you get the $100 snyder cut-themed lunchables, trailers that play up the winks and references, and a running time 16 minutes longer than Lawrence of Arabia. it's not aimed at the demographic outside the snyderdome thread and it's nothing like snyder's original vision. please get woke to the pernicious influence of money on art

we need a shazam.jpg meme for this

>it doesn't exist
>it's not finished
>it's never coming out
>it'll be exactly the same
>it cost $70 million dollars
>it's not his original vision
you are here
>no one watched it
>no one likes it

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 10, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
there's something sad about how the people who are the most likely to scream 'let people enjoy things' in the face of mild criticism are also the ones who are really invested in bringing down people who want to see the snydercut

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ruddiger posted:

spoilers for Wandavision if you saw Man of Steel already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2sssRI9XU

lmao what in the blazes

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
why do people think rian didn't do anything but bow to Disney? do you really buy his explanation that he split up poe and finn going to canto bight because he felt they were the same character?

do you think he was announced as being given a trilogy before TLJ even came out just because?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

The pettiness is the point.

yeah, it's really weird. i can hop on discord right now and see people saying things along the line of 'it still looks bad' and 'reviews are saying it's better than theatrical, not like that's hard.' the last one is especially perplexing to me.

people just can't take the L, it's loving weird.