Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

There's something about Zack Snyder that just blinds people. I mean, i get disliking someone's films, but people go out of their way to misread films, statements, scenes...even individual lines of dialogue. It's become a performative thing to prove that you hate Snyder more than anyone else. It's just bizarre. I just had a reminder on my facebook feed of people saying Sucker Punch's action scenes were so badly shot they gave people motion sickness. Whatever you feel about Sucker Punch...that's just not true.
My read on it is that Snyder is a visual storyteller who doesn't inject expository dialogue and an obvious point of view into the narrative. This is confounding to people who are accustomed to run-of-the-mill superhero movies, and absolutely enraging to geeks who watch movies to become canon curators or judge them according to some weird standard of quasi-realism.

Granted, Mad Max: Fury Road is the rare blockbuster that actually tells the story through the visuals and never insults the viewer's intelligence with lame exposition. Then again, it wasn't wildly successful, and Max Rockatansky doesn't carry the same baggage as Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

By Cease to Hope's logic, the Mongol Empire was a refugee migration.
And so was Generalplan Ost

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

K. Waste posted:

How have your guys gym days been?

Idk, I feel like I’ve been slacking, hopefully getting back on my sertraline regimen will help manage some of the anxiety I’m feeling and get me in the mindset to push more.
Really bad. Spring I have something disrupting my schedule at least once a week, whether it's the graduation ceremony or taking my mother to see Dr. Zhivago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Snyder is one of a small group of filmmakers that actually try to do something genuinely interesting with the source material they're given, and nerds are not used to media actually making them feel things beyond the superficial.
Such filmmakers aren't rare, just vanishingly rare once the budget gets above a few million.

Anyone who appreciates Snyder should see Tarsem Singh's The Fall if they haven't already.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

When I can’t sleep, my mind obsesses over “hyperfixations,” a term those in the ADHD community will recognize.
I already hate this person

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The TLJ thing, if I remember right, was actually people starting a crowdfunding campaign to buy the rights from Disney and remake the film "correctly." Genuinely mentally ill people thinking that it was both possible and worthwhile to crowdfund hundreds of millions of dollars to remake a franchise blockbuster. It was perhaps the perfect example of SMG's thesis about nerds making capitalism their God and worshiping it via pop culture and the Internet.

Changing the ending of the Mass Effect series arguably set a bad precedent. But it was a truly wretched job, and the change was an improvement.

The Snyder Cut is a basically complete film. Comparing it to the TLJ furor is apples to oranges.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm not aware of any pop-culture media that depicts anything close to this, never mind comic book media, but the live-action series Titans goes out of its way to have scenes portraying two different heroes inflicting graphic violence against the abstract police, with no moralizing repercussions.
I was rewatching one of my favourite dystopian films, Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx, where some NYC cops murder an innocent journalist, plant a gun on her body, and later get wiped out in a shootout with the heroes. And they aren't abstracted into uniformed stormtroopers a la The Hunger Games, they look like uniformed NYC cops. They just don't do that in American media. Italian trash cinema ranges wildly in its perspective on cops, from outright pro-fascism to ACAB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfEyP-ksbo8&t=3460s

quote:

Unfortunately, the show is otherwise unremarkable.
There's too much soap opera, but it's better than most of the Marvel Netflix shows, with better fight scenes, and more stuff actually happens.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, that's what I meant about the soap opera stuff. Too much time spent on, like, Robin and Raven agonizing over whether he'll be her father figure. Doom Patrol is also a character drama but it's actually really good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Darko posted:

Every show on the "Arrowverse" gets worse as it goes on except Legends.
I haven't watched it in awhile, but I can't believe Arrow got worse than the second season, where every plotline revolves around someone who is about to come clean with someone else, only to be interrupted by a phone call. Like the entire story hinged on being set in an alternate universe where no one puts their phone on silent when they have a meeting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does the workprint cut anything? Hopefully the train scene?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That guy wasn't really annoyed, it was his favourite part of the movie. That is the sort of person who only enjoys movies when they "beat" them by pointing out their flaws, thus making them smarter than the filmmakers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

I watched the extended edition of Watchmen and is great and so much better than I remembered.Just completely gorgeous, textured and casted.Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the comedian is excellent.The scenes in the war room with richard nixon are also an standout.
My only criticism of the Extended Cut is that while I love all the content, the result is very long and not what I'd call well-paced.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Chuka Umana posted:

No I'm arguing that you can't call me pro-cop because I think Jussie Smollett is a c rate actor who made poo poo up when most of you guys support the application of state violence through arbiters of state enforcement.

The only way to be anti-police is to be anti-civilization.

Chuka Umana posted:

you’re just a Trotskyist liberal who wants to go after black people if they aren’t one or the “good ones” that follow the party line.

Chuka Umana posted:

The most profound Snyder symbolism is in 300 where he made all the good people lily white and all the bad people dark skinned black. Very powerful.
Unbelievably powerful Kryptonian brain energy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I wouldn't say that The Boys parodies BvS outfits. The aesthetic is similar because it looks good. The show producers apparently decided that deliberately making the heroes look stupid, like they did in the comics, would make it hard to market the show.

When I saw the designs for Watchmen, most of my friends were down on them but I took them as a sendup of the Schumacher Batman costumes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like some of the MCU costumes. But they are very militarized, and in The Boys, presenting the characters as celebrity gods rather than jackbooted thugs is the point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The DC shows are like the CW shows but they move along briskly and the plot points are never as silly. Oh, and the costuming is consistently better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Nonetheless, I like the thing that you do not like.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 23, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jimbot posted:

You'd figure anyone with half a brain at Warner/DC/Whatever would capitalize on "While Marvel was twiddling its thumbs, we gave you a queer superhero on the big screen" kind of social capital corporations are so in desperate to get.
The social capital isn't worth it. It is literally impossible to make one of these movies for less than $150 million, and at that point you have to pander to the lowest common denominator to turn a profit. That means no gay superheroes, just characters like Steve Rogers that some viewers can assume to be gay if it suits them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

McCloud posted:

I am a leftist so I have a bias, but it's difficult for me to not see the movies with a distinct leftist theme, but I am wondering what is it that makes people interpret it as having a conservative bent? Is it Pa kent, the seemingly friendly portrayal of the military, the hypermasculine imagery?
People are used to Marvel movies where the war criminal heroes are made "relatable" by having them quip and make references and joke around. They're also used to a very tell-don't-show style of filmmaking where everything important is delivered as expository dialogue.

It weirds them out when Snyder depicts Batman as a plainly psychotic fascist and doesn't tell you what to think about that.

Gorn Myson posted:

When Pain & Gain was being released, a common sentiment online was "Michael Bay isn't clever enough to make a satirical movie, so this must be 100% sincere".
Nailed it.

well why not posted:

Important to keep in mind that Snyder also has studied art at a minimum college level so is probably aware of things being able to be nuanced.

All that soft light and renaissance posing is no mistake. Excalibur being referenced everywhere in BvS is also a blatant comment on morality and subjectivity. Things can be bad and inspiring. Bad poo poo is real and pretending that seeing Metropolis getting microwaved like a spoon is alarming and intense. It’s like that on purpose.
He is trained to tell a story visually, something that is completely beyond (for example) Joss Whedon.

well why not posted:

The main thing that’s really truly endorsed in his DC films is sex with very muscular men. I’m sure there’s a property out there that could synergise with that strength. Perhaps whatever Jo Jo is.
If there's one thing I've learned from posting in Traditional Games, it's that whatever you're currently talking about is exactly like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 9, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

McCloud posted:

Right, the characters aren't "likeable" because they're sad or not smiling enough or angry or whatever. It's borderline bizarre how a requisite for action movies these days is to have a quippy protagonist that makes jokes about Americas rear end or raping women on their wedding night
I gotta say, SMG was on the money when he said that "grimdark" refers to a) whether the protagonist is having a good time and b) literal darkness in the frame.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

K. Waste posted:

In 300, the myth is that it’s leonidas’s sacrifice that unites the Greeks. In the sequel, the Athenians take all the credit, whereas the Spartans are depicted as cynical isolationists.
This is funny because in actual history, the Spartans' glorious reputation comes from being really good at taking credit for war efforts to which they contributed very little. I mean, they made a movie about the Spartan 300 and not the Athenian 6000.

Ubik_Lives posted:

However, we unfortunately live in a world where we don't have normal audiences. We live in a hell world where the alt-right is 100% on board with eugenics, think kids should be constantly fighting to stop them becoming beta cuck soyboys, think our politicians are secret Muslims here to betray us, and think we need to be hyper-vigilant against sjws who want everyone to be treated equally when they aren't and haven't earned anything and will kill us all and our video games if given the chance. What we see as moral failings to judge the Spartans, they see core tenants that the Spartans perfectly exemplify the value of. Where we see their system failing, they see a cautionary tale. Where we (debatably) see the evils of propaganda, they see gospel.
I don't disagree, but remember that the "alt-right" is a small fraction of the population (to the extent that it hasn't just been assimilated into the mainstream right). The Republican base is old affluent white people, who are also on board with all these awful things and have been for decades.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 11, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alhazred posted:

For a society built on warfare they really suck at going to war.
So did the Spartans and so do we. This seems to keep happening to militaristic societies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was immediately mad because I'd read the book, and that scene is a simplified version of the scene from the book that makes a totally different point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Showgirls has already received that same reevaluation, it's just that far fewer people saw and enjoyed it in the first place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

Look mate, she's a capitalist, which means she's basically a fascist, and you wouldn't quote a fascist would you???
I don't even think Warren's a fascist, but "Her commitment to capitalism makes her fascist by necessity" is actually a pretty convincing argument.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Kingdom Come repudiates ultraviolent 90s superheroes, but it also shows Superman spending several years as a bitter, pathetic loser until he gets his groove back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

The genius who wrote it, Mark Waid — one of the first comic authors I was a fan of and used to really respect — wrote a blog about how he walked out of MoS because “Superman doesn’t kill for any reason”. To him, actually going through the act is the important thing, regardless of intention. He wrote a Superman who was going to kill hundreds of people including innocents for revenge but had to be convinced not to, but apparently it’s worse for Superman to actually kill even when he has no other choice.
It's so incredibly stupid to agonize over the morality of killing in a setting where people throw buildings at each other and they just pretend that no bystanders would get hurt.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I remember some guy losing his poo poo in the BvS thread because (and this is not the only place I've seen this), Batman's most important character trait is that he doesn't kill.

How can you think a character can be defined by not doing something, especially something that most people don't do anyway?

"Atticus Finch's most important character trait is that he doesn't like Marmite."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

back when i read comics the amount of metatextual commentary masquerading as morality revolving around heroes killing got extremely obnoxious. it's all just genre convention that decides batman knocking a goon out means they wake up a few hours later perfectly fine and not leading to brain death
Absolutely. And all the hand-wringing about Batman (or anyone else) killing the Joker...I'm absolutely sure that if there were a real serial killer who singlehandedly killed like thousands of people, they would not get placed in a minimum security mental hospital and allowed to play cards with other people slightly less dangerous. It's a horrible fake moral quandary to keep coming back to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

Batman's no kill policy is extra hilarious in the arkham games where he punches guys who are easily 250 lbs of muscle so hard they fly back +10 feet or hits them with his tank that also electrocutes at 40 mph and they "live"
I like how in the first game, you can string guys up by their ankles, then cut the rope and drop them headfirst onto concrete from three stories up. They took that out of Arkham City. Then in Arkham Knight they give you a tank, so you can harmlessly T-bone some crooks in a stolen taxi at 80 mph.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As I've noted elsewhere, science fiction begins when you interrogate the fantasy.
In my experience, what begins is a lot of infantile wailing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Absolutely, they just couldn't instantly register their displeasure online. They were also mad about Michael Keaton not being built like a pro wrestler and every other dumb complaint you can think of.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Lithe, Slim Batman" fucks up the dynamic that's been established for the Bat-Family. Bruce is Daddy, Nightwing is the slim acrobatic one.

Anyway, there isn't really an ideal body type for all the things Batman is supposed to be almost-the-best-in-the-world-at. For fighting, a heavyweight MMA fighter, but that guy's going to run out of gas when he zip-lines between buildings all night.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not only is the plot of the film more efficient, it learns from the original and builds on it. Veidt's triumph compresses the end of the Cold War and 9/11 into a single event.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

He's reading only works if he starts with Zach Snyder being a fascist and stupid and then finding the clues in the comic and movie.
Serwer is normally a stalwart progressive, but Snyder Derangement Syndrome can turn even the most radical leftist into a temporary shitlib; it's uncanny.

And yeah, it is based on starting with the absolute metaphysical certainty that Snyder is a gay fascist Randroid and then reading that into any given movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the Objectivist thing is a product of this horrible cottage industry of YouTube movie reviews, regardless of who's doing it. It's incredibly easy to read a Wikipedia article about Rand and then do a scene by scene breakdown of how Man of Steel is about a Randian hero. Content for the content gods.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He became gay when he did 300, came out as bi when he did Watchmen and Sucker Punch, and became 100% gay again when he did Man of Steel and BvS.

People are whatever justifies me being really mad at them right now.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 29, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, yeah. Edited. Don't know why I put that.

JL was just boring above all else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean the whole point of the comic book is that The Comedian tells Ozymandius that there's no future but nuclear war and Ozymandius, the smartest guy in the world, the guy who can play the stock market with 100% success and literally invent tech that's 40 years ahead of its time and get CEOs kissing his ring just for a few crumbs of his wisdom, has near clairvoyance for global events, that guy, he agrees totally and starts working on a "solution". Also every single bit of imagery in the book supports him. But because a single line of dialogue isn't said, well maybe he's not right? Who knows?
Ozymandias is a liberal capitalist whose goal is to aggrandize himself, like any billionaire. This is made clear in several different ways. The debate over whether he was "right" is just the tip of the iceberg with regard to what's going on there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know what you're trying to say. Yes, Ozymandias is a supervillain, and he carries out a supervillainous plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

We did elect Reagan twice though, which I'd argue is probably worse
Imagine if Trump was a two-term president and, decades later, a bunch of Democratic politicians proudly described themselves as Trump Democrats.

It happened!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sorry, you're right, I'm being unclear. I'm saying that although Watchmen is a more "realistic" take on the superhero genre it still is a superhero work. So Veidt is not just a very smart guy who pretends to be a supergenius as part of his aggrandizement, he actually is a comic-book level supergenius that can do amazing stuff nobody else can do and catch bullets. By necessity, that separates him from being "just" a Wall Street Master of the Universe style CEO fraud.

Does that make more sense?
Oh, I think I get what you mean now. Well, Ozymandias is genuinely superintelligent, but that doesn't make him right. If anything, his hyper-competence establishes that he could have ended the Cold War through something other than an incredibly bizarre plan that hinged on manipulating a god and cloning a fake alien. The threat of imminent destruction was his excuse for transforming the world into a monument to his own ego, just as it is for powerful psychopaths today.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The branching point seems more to be that Nixon was able to convince Dr Manhattan to intervene in Vietnam while the real Nixon wasn't willing to use, or at least was dissuaded from using, nuclear weapons in that conflict.
Case in point: Didn't Kissinger justify some of the horrible poo poo he did by claiming that he was keeping Nixon in check?