Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

But thats mostly Whedon stuff in the first part. I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

No, everyone's favorite Batman in everyone's favorite Batman movie couldn't just get rid of a bomb

He kills people in his movie, but its totally not his fault that he punched them into non-existence because he's not the one that rehydrated them badly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

That's not how any of that is depicted. Batman is presented very strongly as a paragon of virtue and justice in the Nolan films and his "one rule" a mark of his integrity. If you want psychopath Batman you need to look elsewhere.

Note this is not a mark of approval, I don't like Nolan Batman. But it's a fact the films absolutely glorify him.

Older post, but in etching to note is that in Rises, Batman AND the Gotham police need to come out if Lazarus Pits to be reborn into anything kind of useful, and Bruce is only free when he gives up his wealth (wealth is property and holdings; he's still somewhat rich by connections, which is different) to the real underclass (orphans) and gives his Batman stuff to a guy that explicitly rejects being a cop. I'm not sure how your reading is celebrating Batman as opposed to it taking Bruce 3 movies to figure out how to be good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I lost a whole reply to the response to my post. But the difference between Nolan and Snyder is that Nolan thinks that liberalism can be saved by people realizing how to save it, where Snyder thinks the rightful powerful person can finally fix the system. Neither has been proven. TDKR shows how Revolutions the the American can be ruined by capitalists controlling it and how the French ends at the status quo but better (it literally quotes Tale of Two Cities with Gordon's speech at the end). Nolan understands the issues and ridiculously optimistic that they will change whole religious Snyder thinks that things will be fixed with outside intervention.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

I think you might have them flipped? The dark Knight trilogy begins and ends with a singular person realizing the system is flawed and must work outside of it, whereas the Snyderverse was literally gonna end as "the world becomes a justice league". ZSJL is about Bruce establishing the beginning of a collective with "room for more."

Rays thinks that the whole thing has to be torn down by fire and started over. Batman thinks it can be fixed. Remember the issue is that Batmans ultra wealthy liberal parents start implementing liberal solutions like trains which kind of work to stave off the issues and not solve them. To which the police are completely corrupted.

Then in DK, Batman fixes the police and the mob and he misses a huge blind spot which the Joker feels. He's proven slightly wrong in that people will be jaforoty good.

In DKR, Batman realizes the best thing is to turn it over to a non police orphan to fix the system, where Gordon realizes the point of Tale of Two Cities. I'm realizing a lot of people didn't realize his end speech recently. Nolan thinks a prefect liberalism can happen.

MoS has a guy that buys into neither saying that Batman, as a representative of it doesn't work and you have to go further. Which is which BvS make him turn intro a conservative the second a castrophic attempt happens. I still have my 9-11 posts here and you can see what was happening to liberals at the time for reference.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McCloud posted:

My 2c:

Black adam got a bad reception because the script is kinda bad and the supporting cast annoying. The kid was incredibly annoying in particular, but also his uncle and Atom smasher. Also Atom Smasher and Cyclones inclusion felt perfunctory, to appeal to a younger audience and so they can say that the JSA are in this film. It's pandering. They didn't add anything of value to the film. Also the part they take Adam to underwater guantanamo bay felt a bit unneccesary, like they were padding out the time.

I agree with you that it's got great action and that the running theme of JSA being an extension of american imperialism maintaining its hegemony is interesting, but they don't do enough with that, and while the action is cool (especially cyclone) it's just not enough to offset the script, the tons of quips they suffused the film with, and the extremely grating cast

That's a part of the issue. I saw Black Panther 2 in theaters and was bored out of my mind throughout. Saw Black Adam and was just kind of bored but liked some of the action. There's so.e weird team playing stuff going on with the reception that makes little sense. If there are any two movies with equally muddled politics, it's those two. But Black Adam actually has entertaining bits of sequences.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Anyway I'm gunna start gunning down posters who talk about gunn and non snyder comic book movies in our holy dome

We better not start a Dawn of the Dead chat then because it's gonna branch out by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McCloud posted:

You're all wrong, if any anime was made for Snyder to adapt, it's JOJO

Takashi Miike is a better choice and he already did it. It's still not fabulous enough though.