Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slutitution posted:

Feminism is kicking a zombie dog in the face, obviously.

You forgot which director you were throwing pithy zingers at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Violator posted:

I guess that was part of his supposed arc in Justice League that was cut, where he turned his rage inwards towards complete self destruction and suicide.

There's a shot in the assault on Steppenwolf's reactor complex where the Batmobile's cannon ejects a shell that echoes the military funeral from BvS; this would have been an excellent thematic callback and moment of character insight in Snyder's version, but in Whedon's can only really be read as "gently caress yeah we're blowin' up aliens, get some :clint:".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Do you genuinely believe this? I get liking something someone else doesn't, but I really don't get acting so defensive about a bog standard superhero film that you have to write essays about why it's this deep, philosophical masterpiece and get arsey to anyone who disagrees. Why do you care so much?

People sure do write a lot of interesting interpretations of Zack Snyder films to deflect from them being awful movies.

Fuckin lol at calling fans the defensive ones after the travesty of a "discussion" that just happened the last few pages and where all the negativity -- and rank stupidity -- came from.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

Even if you're only looking at the feature films, Batman kills a lot of people. The Burton films do it all the time, and just as sadistically as BvS.

I don't get the idea that BvS Batman is a sadist or revels in dealing death. Aside from planning to kill Superman, who he specifically considers to not even be human and a threat to all humanity, he only kills people as collateral damage or in self-defense. Now Burton Batman, especially in Returns, there's a guy who serves up some unambiguously premeditated murder with a smile.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hadn't even thought about that as a specific reference.

MoS has been discussed for so long that I'm not surprised some things get forgotten, but it's come up before that the whole diner sequence was Snyder's homage to Action Comics #1.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't remember who said it in a previous thread, but the fact that Kal-El was able to be a natural birth showed that the codex was false bullshit.

Zod's response to Jor-El's statement that Kal's was a natural birth: "Heresy!" A very loaded term in this context.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

garycoleisgod posted:

I just love the intercutting between Perry/Jenny and Superman standing up to the gravity beam thing and saving the day. The edit implying that Clark is drawing the strength to win FROM Perry/Jenny is :kiss:

This sequence always brings tears to my eyes. I literally don't understand how people can watch it and still call this film dour, joyless, grimdark -- it's the essence of joy. Superman's strength and will being summoned to save the world is directly linked with the strength of the human soul to persevere, to find courage and shared humanity in the face of certain annihilation. Superman gets his powers from the sun but, this scene tells us, he is powered by love. It's a shot of pure distilled hope right into my veins, every time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Army of the Deadlift

:vince:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_m0ZONaJU

Unfortunately, the show is otherwise unremarkable.

I dunno, that was remarkably embarrassing dialog.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Using the wrong music really bothered the hell out of me.

Me too and it wasn't even mixed well, the nostalgia cuts were practically background noise compared to Junkie XL's work in the previous films.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McCloud posted:

I know the topic of drones has come up a bit in this and the other capethread, and I came across this which I thought some of you might find interesting

This video reminded me that the Parademons from the Knightmare sequence in BvS are literal drones; that is, they strongly resemble swarming insects like ants or termites. And like everything Darkseid, they are an aspect of corruption, oppression, giving in to our worst impulses, the triumph of fear over hope.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › Cinema Discusso › The Snyderdome: But you must consider the prison dildos.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure there were enough people back in Ye Old Britain very excited about all the yummy stuff suggested in A Modest Proposal. Or at least a bunch of people who thought that it did make economical sense to eat the children of the poor.

No doubt, and there were also a lot of people appalled that Swift was advocating for child cannibalism. I'm sure Persius and Juvenal were similarly misinterpreted in their time. By Ubik_Lives' standards there has never been a successful satire.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the issue is not strictly Superman's emotions. Donner's Superman has him mope around his hometown too, feel frustration at his attraction to Lois, and has him get sad and angry when Lois dies. Yes he does spend a lot of time smiling and mugging but he's allowed to feel bad as well.

The issue is that Snyder's Superman does not get to enjoy being Superman. Snyder's Superman not a power fantasy, it's a continual source of frustration and responsibility. He never gets to fly out into space and smile at the camera. He never gets to smirk invincibly at some low-level flunkie trying to bash him with a crowbar or shoot him with a gun. That kind of thing barely registers with him. Instead, he's dealing with thankless poo poo like his own Kryptonian culture's relentless imperialism or Yet Another Natural Disaster. The moment in BvS when he saves the woman from the burning factory and is enjoying it for a moment - only to then have his moment spoiled by people treating him with awe and reverence instead of cheers - is instructive.

Some people want that release. They want to see Superman save the day, make it all ok, and have a good time doing it. They crave that psychological purge to varying degrees, and Synder teases it and then ultimately doesn't deliver. Superman can't win a clean victory and has to snap Zod's neck. Superman is about to give his big heroic speech and instead the room explodes and everyone dies. Superman continually gets hosed over by trying to be Superman. And the more you needed that psychological purge, the more you'll hate it.

And ultimately, I think Snyder's version is a great version of the character, because despite all his doubt, frustration, and misery, he keeps doing it, right up until the point he literally chooses to die to help the world. And I think that's a true Super Man.

:agreed: on all counts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

His learning to fly is one of the only true "I am having fun and being
rewarded as Superman" scenes and it's also the one that most haters say feels like "the only Real Superman scene" in the movie.

It's also the only time the movie allows itself to become a straightforward power fantasy, which I think makes its own kind of statement -- extraordinary power is fun, as long as nothing is burdening your conscience.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At this point I want a Snyder Cut documentary more than the actual Snyder Cut so WB's shittiness can be exposed to a wider audience, including how they leveraged Snyder's daughter's suicide to make this whole shitshow go down in the first place.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I know one aspect was that Jyn Erso was going to be a part of the Rebellion from the start, and she was being released from Rebel prison on condition of basically doing a Dirty Dozen suicide mission. That's why the initial teaser involved the Rebel general reading the list of charges against her, and in the movie she apparently wears a uniform with the Rebel sergeant's rank (as she was a sergeant in the Rebellion before being arrested for insubordination).

That part sounds pretty good but this

Julius CSAR posted:

I want to see Rogue One as a pure war movie. I remember one of the original themes they talked about was "the rebels are just as dirty about this poo poo as the empire" but it only ever kinda came through half way

just sounds like more pseudo-deconstructionist moral equivalency propablanda.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

I mean, usually I'd agree with you, because I typically hate it too, but it's a fairly unique take within the Star Wars universe, or at least the parts of Star Wars most people interact with. Otherwise, yeah I usually hate the "both sides are bad" stuff, but it was fun to see the rebels as people willing to get their hands dirty. Also, as dirty as you make the Rebels, whatever amount of bad stuff you attach to them I don't think you can ever raise them to the level of evil achieved by the villains being eternal telekinetic space Nazis, so there's that too.

That's fair, I guess it really just depends on the tone. Like, "the Empire's brutality batters us down and we struggle to stay ourselves while doing what it takes to survive" is a different thing from "hey did you know the heroes do bad things too, maybe there are no heroes :smug:". I'm so over the latter but the former is one of the archetypal war themes and would've made a great throughline.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

K. Waste posted:

I do wish we had a scene of Atlanteans speaking “English” and then switching to the perspective of a character who doesn’t understand the language and so we hear them making dolphin noises

And a likewise scene of one of the Atlantean royals, who can technically breathe above water but has never actually been on the surface before, speaking "English" but they're actually making horrific guttural squeals and croaks like the red people from Us.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

He'd react to climate change deniers like Buzz Aldrin reacts to moon landing deniers.

That's not to say that he'd be against climate change, but he'd be very insistent that it was real and that he personally had a hand in it.

Yeah like, we're talking about a guy whose chief heroic aspect was felling entire forests at a single swing of his ax.

Paul Bunyan is a celebrity endorser and spokesman for the Bolsonaro government's Amazon clearcutting programs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

But I mean, his fans don't deserve it because they're chuds and incels! And it's probably just an assembly cut! I know how film production works! I'M AN EXPERT!!! [edit] BELIEVE IN INDUSTRY SCOOPS! INSIDER SOURCES!

CBR posted an absurd bloviating editorial (labeled "movie news" instead of "opinion", of course) saying pretty much exactly this a few days ago. Fandom is wack.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Release the assembly cut

Hell release every film's assembly cut, I love seeing how the sausage is made

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

He actually tells the story through visuals instead of Whedonesque expository dialogue.

People who don't know how to process this call them "sterile", "emotionless" and the like. It's like a rorschach test for the ability to engage with a work instead of simply absorbing stimuli for two hours.

RBA Starblade posted:

His films turn heads

:fry:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nobody cares about Zack Snyder taking on the Badminton!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Do you serve? You will.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

But would he have had a mullet?

They would have had to CG one on, thanks Paramount

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

it's weird because i really liked his series of videos on the 50 shades books/movies and they show he's capable of looking past popular critical consensus of 'thing bad, just like, so super bad' and analyze things on their own merits/flaws

but then when it comes to dceu movies he's gotta be another one of those guys who just straight up makes up things to blindly poo poo on something even harder

People to this day swear that Superman ignored civilians in peril during the Smallville fight and literally made out with Lois on a pile of charred corpses in Metropolis. It's like confirmation bias as a DSM-level condition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sure, but I think that what Disney's doing is the inevitable result of how we fund, make, and distribute films. If you changed the conditions that led to the existence of the MCU, I don't think any of us would even recognize the cinematic landscape when it was over. Personally I think that would be fantastic, but I also don't think Disney would be the only losers in that exchange.

Please define the "winners" of the current paradigm.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Violator posted:

So what would be the most symbolic announcement date? Christmas for the birth of Superman Jesus? Easter in April for the HBO Max launch in May 2020? It feels like an inevitability at this point.

Valentine's Day, clearly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The grail is Darkseids bloodline. He seeded Krypton to produce a worthy heir. Add in the Anti-Life Equation and you have the unholy trinity that enables the Knightmare to come to pass.

-Superman: The Dark Side #2

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Violator posted:

I think that’s the first screenshot in color he’s posted.

Interesting how he’s being very direct now. “True cut” and what not. He’s always been the type of director to keep his mouth shut about stuff so he must feel very strongly about this.

That shot looks like it was also in the first trailer, which I believe predated the Whedoning and had several shots that were omitted from the theatrical butchering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, that shot isn't actually the one he's talking about - that one is just him charging up energy beforehand by doing laps around the city.

The sequence he's talking about has Flash running towards a quasar in a dark void, with every step creating a Big Bang beneath his feet. Stars and galaxies spew out as bursts of light, rebuilding reality around him as he travels through time.

Holy poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Martman posted:

I hope Army of the Dead turns out to be an incredibly blatant gently caress you to Warner Bros., with the heist being a job to steal the Snyder Cut from a bunch of zombie assholes.

And then at the end of the movie, the heist crew completely breaks the fourth wall and walks up to the camera, holding up the Snyder Cut film cans as Snyder himself steps out from behind to clap them on the shoulders, and says "Your move, Warner."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Violator posted:

Ah nice. I hope someone finds a way to record it.

Yeah, that'd be great. Figures fitness lord Zack is an early riser.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

a bunch of pudgy old dudes with the same oiled up half-naked bods and speed ramping while they're at a convention.

This during the signing of the Declaration of Independence, with flexing and high fiving as each representative takes his turn, and when the last signature is put down John Hancock holds it up and booms "THIS, IS, AMERICA!!!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Every reply or comment on social media posts about HBO Max is flooded with Snyder Cut supporters.

:sickos:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

She and a few of her followers are already just telling me to go watch it again instead of explaining themselves, lmao. I'm not gonna bother.

I haven't seen it in a while but I can tell you that her statement of a "positive message about Christianity" from DoTD04 got a big ol' WTF from me. I don't remember that movie having anything particularly positive to say about any religion in general, and I'd love to hear her square her assertion with the ending where everyone very probably dies after reaching the promised land which turns out to be another hopelessly zombie-infested hellscape

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

They also think that Ed Harris' morally ambiguous part in the Rock is entirely the product of Ed Harris and that Bay had no idea it was happening.

I always wanted to be a director because it seems like such an easy job. I mean, you just sit in the chair behind the cameras and shout "ACTION" into the megaphone and the people make the movie happen, right? Nothing to it, any idiot can do it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimbot posted:

How long did it take his BvS commentary to show up on youtube? I'm unable to watch his stream right now.

A day or two IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He gazed up at the enormous face. Two years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the jock-bro smile. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the bulging pecs! Two Axe-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Zack Snyder.