Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Edit whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes, they are literal people with animal heads in fascist propaganda. Italicizing things doesn't make them less true.

I don't think baby skulls is quite the coup you think it is when the spartans are betrayed by someone who they would have discarded as a child. It's straightforwardly pro-eugenics.

What are you trying to say? The movie diagetically takes place within the propaganda, of course it portrays the elements of the propaganda. The guy who betrays them is a disfigured castaway because of the betrayal, not the other way around. The Persian subject countries are orcs, goat men, etc because they are fighting the Spartans. Also the Spartans are not fascist, which is not synonymous with militarism

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is a little florid but really good.

Yeah a bit overwritten, a bit disorganiced, but good nonetheless. Nothing an editor wouldn’t fix if it weren’t a blog. Always cool to find an interesting new writer

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yes! Yes!

Alas that there is no mullet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cease to Hope posted:

Oh, I just forgot about that. Antifa read is that he mistrusts the military establishment, fascist read is that the old military still lacks the strength to assert superiority and that remaining elements of the liberal order will always mistrust true heroes. I think it reads more clearly and effectively through a leftist lens.

You do understand that I'm describing an ideological read of a film based on an ideology I don't actually agree with, right?

Fascists conceive of foreigners in their own country as invaders who are carrying the taint of the ideology of the failed society they are attempting to escape. In the fascist read of MOS, the Kryptonians have to be sterilized, forcibly deported, and exterminated for fear they will spread Kryptonism, because allowing foreigners to breed and spread their ideology can only result in them exterminating the people who already live there.

Presenting an argument you don’t agree with in this way is the definition of bad faith - and I mean this in reference to both “reads”. You’re not interpreting the film, you’re just performing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This is why I brought up the "Spartan Masculinity" thing, because if you're not careful about what you're actually talking about, you end up saying stupid poo poo like "physical fitness is fascist".

And more commonly, “racism is fascist” or “militarism is fascist” which then devolves into “violence is fascist” and “ armies are fascist”

Cease to Hope posted:

Does someone have to be pro-war to list to you the ways Apocalypse Now glorifies war?

Does someone have to think that there is no anti-war narrative in Apocalypse now to list the ways it glorifies war?

I do actually genuinely think MOS has a fascist undercurrent that undermines its obvious antifascist intent.

You seem confused about what bad faith is. The classic example from Sartre’s original conception of the idea:

literally just the Wikipedia article posted:

Sartre cites a café waiter, whose movements and conversation are a little too "waiter-esque". His voice oozes with an eagerness to please; he carries food rigidly and ostentatiously; "his movement is quick and forward, a little too precise, a little too rapid".[3] His exaggerated behaviour illustrates that he is play acting as a waiter, as an object in the world: an automaton whose essence is to be a waiter. But that he is obviously acting belies that he is aware that he is not (merely) a waiter, but is rather consciously deceiving himself.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cease to Hope posted:

Nationalist glorification of military power, martial strength, and racial purity as a bulwark against the schemes of supposed foreigners, justifying both repression of an internal ethnic minority and hostility to foreigners in general. (Anti-Semitic and anti-Communist conspiracy theories are the model for fascist conceptions of a "foreigner" who is both internal and external.) That's fascism.

There's a lot more connotative qualities of fascism, including the necessity of / indifference to civilian sacrifice, the necessity of repression, physical/racial purity being synonymous with moral purity, eugenics and pseudoscientific racism, anti-intellectualism, fixation on refugees/immigrants as a vector for foreign influence, nostalgia, aestheticizing politics as spectacle, social Darwinism and might-makes-right politics, and especially white supremacy in general, but there's your definition.

Can we talk about the movie with the evil foreigners threatening to import their hateful ideology until the big strong Kansas boy sterilizes them and beats them to death now?

Man a definition of fascism with no reference to economics at all dang

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Birthing Matrix looks a lot like the way brussels sprouts are grown.

hahahaha i tried to make a joke about this last night and couldn't figure out how to structure it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Daddy Thanos posted:

It wasn't because of any of those apparently sore spots it's just that it wasn't directed by Snyder and RLM liked it, which up to this point has been a 100% predictor of Snyderians' opinions on any movie afaik. But I am genuinely glad you enjoyed it

I mean, to know what they think I’d have to watch their videos and why do that when there are plenty of sharp objects sitting around to sodomize myself with

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bogus Adventure posted:

We need a new Guyver movie, but please make sure Mark Hamill is still involved

I don’t care if he’s cast in a new guyver movie, but I would like him in more films where he is graphically transformed into a bug

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

josh04 posted:

Watchmen was a moralising screed by Alan Moore, who has never depicted a bad thing as possessing allure (and never would).

Any character who dies is being punished by author god for their transgressions. Like that old dude, or that kid who liked comic books

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also what's funny is that being super jacked is a great way in reality to lose a pro fight. It really doesn't help you much and you gas easier.

Source: literally every MMA fight where some muscle-bound scary dude gets his rear end handed to him after the first round.

And also this video, which is something EVERYONE should watch as it's a 5 minute perfect fight story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUleLHKDuEw

The best part is the caption calling washed up c league fighter and noted neo fascist thug Aleksandr Emelianenko the best Russian MMA fighter

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's one of the reasons Roy "Big Country" Nelson wins. He's got a gut and has incorporated it into the perfect fighting form: tackle your opponent and smother them with your gut while you punch them in the top of the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyKQq-zldsE&t=200s

Sorry for the bad quality, this is the best video I could find.

Roy Nelson is on a 3 fight skid and 3-8 in the last five years so that’s a bit generous

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Davros1 posted:

Nelson's advancement, up to and including, winning The Ultimate Fighter, while continually pissing off Dana White because he was winning, was the best, though.

I’m far from opposed to a good belly rub, especially if it annoys Dana White

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He's a piece of crap but the point is to show a slightly doughy babyface knock a scary guy out and that's what this is

I just think it’s funny, did they confuse him with his brother? Do they think Battle on the Volga is a top level sporting contest?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

KVeezy3 posted:

To be fair, property damage is the greatest crime of all.

Tantamount to that most heinous of crimes, theft of money

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Well part of the problem with it sparking a discussion is only one of the two of you says anything interesting. He barely engages with anything you say and all but says he doesn’t understand anything that isn’t expressed in dialogue which is wild as heck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Timby posted:

That Lexi Alexander thing was simultaneously one of the creepiest and most pathetic things I've ever seen.

And you’ve been posting here for a while sooooo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

the beavis director’s cut is 3 hours, too, isn’t it?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

But it has a 22% tomatometer!!?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

More, you're a commercial director.

ZS: Yeah, I went to a school called Art Center College of Design in Pasadena and, right out of school, I made a bunch of commercials - a few videos. There's a Subaru commercial playing in the opening, where Ana and her husband are in the shower. That's mine. But my entire identity as a commercial director plays into the irony of the source film's central, most obvious, satire about capitalism gone wrong. The only way you're saved is by knowing who you are. And even then....

Knowing yourself? Implying obliquely it’s possible for capitalism to not go wrong? What a loving objectivist this guy must be

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RBA Starblade posted:

I recall there being a whole lot of history channel specials about the real battle of Thermopylae and the rest of the war right after 300 came out

This is a bit different. Some of that stuff comes from a place where historians/archaeologists see a wide release picture or book or tv show as a chance to get some people listening for once. Some of it, and more what SMG is seeing in that article, is this weird fear among academics that if the plebs haven't read their dissertation they might get confused and think movies are real. Some of that stems from an ongoing issue of popular press like the history channel and national geographic paying academics to make fools of themselves, either by hiring cranks for shows like Ancient Aliens or by funding research then presenting it in selective, sensationalized edits. Some of it is paranoid elitism.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lt. Danger posted:

to be fair a lot of historical misunderstandings slide by as implicit, assumed premises rather than out-and-out statements. audiences say Game of Thrones (the bits without dragons and magic) shows what life would be like in the "real" medieval world, because everything is muddy and dirty, but what's actually there reflects a later early-modern period, and not very accurately at that - dirt and grime aren't actually indicators of historical accuracy. and that's assuming our academic historical understanding of the past is accurate as well, which isn't necessarily the case

e: like an example (from the same blog) would be medieval battlefields. nerds praise depictions of pre-modern battles as muddy hellscapes as "realistic", but pre-modern battles don't kick up a lot of mud as a rule. industrialised warfare kicks up a lot of mud, and its those "realistic" WW1-era muddy hellscapes that audiences are responding to

Yeah, notably historical military texts are full of advice to just not fight if the weather is bad because you don't know what will happen, and plenty of examples of what happens when you gently caress this up and oops your horses can't run. But these shows/movies are not actually about ancient warfare, anymore than they're about ancient people. Note for example how often battles turn on the use of wacky tricks and superweapons - these are transposed Nazi wunderwaffe, there to accentuate the value of reason, science, and special brilliant leadership as opposed to having better fed, less scared conscripts.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

For half a second I legit thought he was doing a “do you have stairs”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pineapples are a product of Hawaii, a set of islands taken from the natives by US hegemony, ergo Snyder is a colonialist. Checkmate.

Hawaii barely grows any pineapples now

Not that the places that do aren’t also colonized but hey, what isn’t

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We need SMG to weigh in on pizza

- 0.75 cup warm water (~45°C)
- 0.5 teaspoon sugar
- 1.125 teaspoons active dry yeast

Mix the above, and let sit for 10 minutes. Then add:

-0.5 teaspoon salt
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-2 cups flour

Mix the flour into the water bit-by-bit, and then knead until it has a putty-like consistency. This'll take a while, but you want it to be as malleable as possible. Then stretch the dough until reasonably flat, on a pan coated with thin layer of oil and a sprinkling of corn meal. Top with whatever you want*, and bake for 10 minutes at 265°C.

There are more elaborate recipes, but this one will get you a solid large or extra-large pizza in about half an hour.

*If you're using uncooked meat, or other toppings that take a while to cook properly (e.g. eggplant), you're going to want to grill or sauté them first. Also, note that you'll probably need at least 400g of grated mozzarella for a 'za this size.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Aces High posted:

I also learned that I had been conflating basil and bay leafs for my whole life

pre:
what the gently caress

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

How does your pesto taste?

having a nice little caprese but poo poo these leaves are sharp, is my mouth supposed to bleed this much

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

Whenever I did food shoots....we werent really shooting food. Are they using actual cooked pizzas for commercials?

I was all aboard and then you drop St Louis in the middle there and well...I’ve reported your post. Enjoy your ban, sicko

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You read the threads here for years and sit stroking your chin and thinking yeah.. wow I guess thats really interesting I'd never think to look at optimus prime's absence of testicles like that, just wow. Then the same people waffle on about food and you realise. oh. I never want to either eat or see a movie ever again.

What is it to “waffle on about” something?

Nvm I googled it but why can’t British people just speak English

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 22, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_Adele_Bloch-Bauer_I

Too lazy to imbed the image but shot context

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bongo Bill posted:

taxpayers I guess

government expenditure is not funded by taxes in a monetarily sovereign state

nationalize the means of art production (and distribution)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snyder following Ridley Scott's lead on this score. Admirable

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I actually find the end of the 2014 version'

Find it what

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

To begin with, take the film's omnipresent branding.

This isn't just a world in which Spider-man exists, it's a world we're he's merchandised. At his wake, there's dozens of people wearing his costume, and its here that Miles meets Peter's otherworldly doppelganger. This directly ties together the multiverse of spider-people conceit with the branding. "Anyone can wear the mask," Stan Lee tells Miles, as he rings up his purchase.

There's some weirder aspects to it too, like when the spider-characters pressure Miles to stand down and let them handle things. They want Miles to prove himself before they'll take him into a dangerous situation, but notice exactly how it plays out. "Can you control your invisibility? Can you control your electric powers? Do you have karate chop action, or a button that makes you shout your catch phrase? Do you have a missile launch gimmick, or light up LEDs? Are you cool like us, or will your lameness hurt the brand?"

This plays into the magnet school conflict a little, too. Miles' parents urged him to view the magnet school as an opportunity, but they also criticize his artistic endeavors. He acts out by sabotaging his academics, until his uncle encourages him to pursue his art and he completes his assignment as the great expectations mural. When he's despairing over his powerlessness (a subconscious self-sabotage) he breaks through when his father encourages him, and he reimagines himself artistically — ditching his store bought costume for one he designs and taking control of his powers in the process.

(Anyone can buy the mask, but Miles' designs the mask.)

In both times his triumph is through a sort of self marketing, like, he's empowered through promoting his person brand. (Check out those stickers he places everywhere: Hello, My Name is Miles.) He proves himself of value to the magnet school/the spider-brand. It not just believing in yourself, its selling yourself.

So while several family films are limited by how "our capitalist system exists to [...] foster a mindset of consumerism," Spider-verse makes those limitations imminent. They're a part of its setting, a part of Miles' life. It puts it on another level than something like Homecoming which just pussyfoots around them.

I think you mean immanent. Good post tho this bothered me too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Necrothatcher posted:

The idea that Alan Moore is an unhappy, grouchy and generally angry kind of guy is ridiculous. He's living his best life writing incomprehensible novels, getting extremely stoned and funding obscure UK countercultural theater projects.

he comes off as really grumpy in print, but if you actually hear him give all these interviews he's clearly not mad and a lot of it just really dry, sardonic humor

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wow really bold choice to not mention it during it's long popular television run.

ya boy was on that jk rowling poo poo before it was cool

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jimbot posted:

I don't follow the Snydercut stuff much anymore since it's a done deal and I don't need those folks to see them retweeting bits and little details from Zack Snyder and the rest of the crew (them getting super defensive over criticisms of the films were a small price to pay to see that sweet sweet concept art) but a few of them are getting super pissy over Variety and some other comic book news places taking some quotes from Zack Snyder out of context or something?

edit:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1328405258339373056

release the fucken kwaste cut you cowards

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure we didn't need Twitter for that one

Must there be a twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

You had Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star come out right around then, though.

Despite the name Cowboy Bebop isn’t really a Western though