Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

TrixRabbi posted:

I remember several years ago getting into an argument with a guy I went to high school with about hidden propaganda, and the response that taught me you sometimes just can't win was something like "It's stupid to let yourself be influenced by media."

I don't know the exact answer, and I'm sure there's hundreds of moving parts as to why people are so resistant, but I imagine a big part is people don't like to admit they've been duped. Particularly Americans, but certainly most places around the world, we like to believe that we're all independent free thinkers and that we arrive at our conclusions about the world rationally or through experience. We don't recognize the silent ways mass media guides our way of thinking -- including making us think of ourselves as independent free thinkers. South Park is such a great example of this, because one of the show's overarching themes is that other people are idiots, but we are intelligent and recognize the idiocy. By being so overt in its political arguments, its more subtle message is to instill self-righteousness in the viewer and to falsely believe you haven't been guided but instead have arrived at conclusions yourself. When you break that down for people, it's upsetting. It's a worldview being shattered.

Zizek famously uses this example, but take John Carpenter's They Live and the alley fight scene. To put on the glasses is to admit not that the world is being controlled by higher forces, but that you yourself have bought into it.

I've been thinking about this post for the last few days, and I just kind of wonder about what the implications of your point are. Because, regardless of whether you like South Park or not (full disclosure: I think it's pretty funny), isn't the viewpoint that they present somewhat correct? Especially as a leftist (I assume), doesn't the idea of "the majority of people see what they're told to see" pretty much ring true? Like, isn't that kind of the entire point of the idea of false consciousness?

I'm legitimately asking, I'm interested in philosophy but I'm not well versed in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I will never forgive South Park for what it did to gently caress over advocacy that warned about climate change. gently caress Matt and Trey.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

sitchensis posted:

I will never forgive South Park for what it did to gently caress over advocacy that warned about climate change. gently caress Matt and Trey.

haha yeah trey parker is like a special kind of bridge troll that sits on a fence and both sides as loud as he can and for some reason the side with all the money pays him for this service

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

sitchensis posted:

I saw an episode of this at my friends’ house recently where they backpedaled on the entire man bear pig thing and tried to apologize for it. Absolutely pathetic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

But is "Remember the Titans" a dishonest movie? Some white people find utility in some young black men and consequently come to tolerate their presence in settings that they would not have before. Obviously the movie is wrong to frame that as redemptive in any fashion, but it still presents a very true and timeless phenomenon.

the reason get out works so well as a satire is that it takes this idea to its logical conclusion with white characters who sincerely love and admire black people because their existence is such a positive for society but still want to eliminate the pesky presence of the black people and take over that power for themselves

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Its been fascinating watching 70s sitcoms and seeing just what a number the Reagan years did for gay rights. Completely destroyed the notion in me that these kinds of issues were seeing a slow, steadying march towards the right side of history. Shows like All in the Family, Maude, Alice, Soap, etc, would portray gay men as just being extremely ordinary. Never caricatures, just boring regular dudes with ordinary interests and ordinary professions (in some cases even typically hypermasculine ones like quarterback or boxer), always to make the bigots look like a big steaming morons.

The 80s were a complete wasteland and then when the 90s happened and we saw this huge spike in gay representation (white male only ofc), it was almost always completely insulting garbage. Will & Grace, Sex and the City, the homophobic humor of Friends, all somehow viewed as progressive at the time. Looking at Billy Crystal's performance as Jody then to Sarah Jessica Parker's gay friends was eye-opening to just how much damage was done.

woke ideology is actively harmful to proper media criticism because it encourages this mindset of just ignoring when past progress happened so that we can be the enlightened generation and just pretend that representation alone solves all problems when nearly every marginalized group has had representation at least once and then capitalism came up with some excuse to get rid of it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's worth pointing out to people who just "want to turn their brain off" or "watch their dumb, fun movie" or whatever that it doesn't mean excoriating yourself when you get tricked by propaganda. It happens. To all of us. Every day.

The public relations industry is one hundred years old. It was envisioned by smart salesmen with a kind of cunning that'd make Machiavelli look naïve. Since then, it's been buttressed by ingenuity, manned and operated by clever, hardworking people who have keen insight into the human mind. It is a sophisticated space-age machine and should be seen as such.

It's no shame to be tricked by it, but to be alerted and then opting to stay tricked? That's not smart.

On the note of someone earlier saying that all the Marvel movies counted at this point: a few weeks ago I watched Infinity War on Netflix and holy poo poo. All I could think was how lucky I was it didn't come out when I was a kid.

sitchensis posted:

I can still remember South Park being so loving funny when it first came out. Their turnaround to selling stale jokes to idiots was so sudden and the show became the bane of every kind of political discussion because people just lapped it up. It got so bad you could tell when someone was about to spout word-for-word some poo poo Stan Marsh said like it was the Sermon on the Mount.

Some Guy TT posted:

woke ideology is actively harmful to proper media criticism because it encourages this mindset of just ignoring when past progress happened so that we can be the enlightened generation and just pretend that representation alone solves all problems when nearly every marginalized group has had representation at least once and then capitalism came up with some excuse to get rid of it

This is my problem too. It's would be a good thing if more people were being encouraged to be more aware of political and cultural goings-on, but really they're just being given a doctrine of jargon. It's a fashion statement. Thinking that you're part of an elite generation that suddenly accepts all people and cultures and no one had the wits to do it before is some grade-A bullshit and it's kind of sad to see young people accept it so readily. Then again, thinking for oneself was never easy to do at any point in history and being bombarded with messaging day in and day out like never before, it's probably drat hard to resist.

I feel sorry for kids in school now more than ever, because school never ends.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some Guy TT posted:

for sure, and i didnt mean to imply that those 70s shows were particularly progressive, they still had the exact same problems expressed in that great Remember the Titans effortpost, it just amazed me how much could be undone by the political atmosphere, and how rarely its acknowledged. So many people (myself included once) just buy into the idea that culturally we have been/will be getting better on social justice fronts, no matter what.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

sitchensis posted:

If a South Park episode was all that it took to derail climate change advocacy, then the movement was doomed to begin with.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

phasmid posted:

On the note of someone earlier saying that all the Marvel movies counted at this point: a few weeks ago I watched Infinity War on Netflix and holy poo poo. All I could think was how lucky I was it didn't come out when I was a kid.

could you elaborate on this, because this movie is so loving long and meaningless that it just melts into a stream of flashing lights before my eyes

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tastykake posted:

could you elaborate on this, because this movie is so loving long and meaningless that it just melts into a stream of flashing lights before my eyes

Meaningless to an adult, yeah.

But the flashy-sparkly magic space battles? The old "let's make every single supporting character a superhero too"? The Lord of the Rings battle at the end where a god fights a giant?

Full of jokey banter, a plot so bare that the parts of the movie are basically interchangeable and liquefying the driving plot point (overpopulation) down to a syrup and going "is it really good or evil - choose!" It's stupid as hell and it'll probably age like budweiser, but if I'd seen it as a kid it would've been my favorite movie and I'd have watched it over and over and it would have become one of those fondly remembered movies that one has no excuse for liking. Kinda like Star Wars, which I loved.

e. I read the synopsis months ago on Wikipedia and thought "this can't be a movie". The article was 100% accurate.

phasmid has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Feb 2, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

here's a guide to the Academy's rationales behind the Best Picture nominees
  • Black Klansman: "we like movies with wokeness and representation (but not really)"
  • Green Book: see above
  • Black Panther: see Black Klansman + "hey see we put a comic book movie here too, now shut up about Oscar bait"
  • Roma: see Black Klansman + "we're starting to warm up to movies released on streaming services (but not really)"
  • Vice: "we like movies with a timely, agreeable political message (but not really)"
  • The Favourite: "we like biopics and period pieces (only a little bit, but more than wokeness and good politics)"
  • A Star Is Born: "what we really, truly, actually like are movies that are a big reacharound to Hollywood itself"
  • Bohemian Rhapsody: "ok ok Bryan Singer, we'll give you a Best Picture nomination so you won't squeal like the big perverted pig you are"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

roma strikes me as the movie whiskey juvenile would have made about why he didnt pay his maid i say this as someone who hasnt actually seen it thats just the vibe i get from the way its been described

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just watched interpreter and i was wondering if anyone could think of movies where post liberation black african countries are shown as good or pre liberation white african countries are shown as bad excepting ones where mandela is great for forgiving white people or where white people are briefly acknowledged as having done bad things before the actual plot of crazy totalitarian africans gets under way

interpreter is great by the way noble white farmer who was totally on board with the end of white supremacy heroically faces off against car bombing false flagging bad black african leader who wants to rule lawyer the un yeah tucker carlson didnt invent this poo poo not by a long shot

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

phasmid posted:

It's worth pointing out to people who just "want to turn their brain off" or "watch their dumb, fun movie" or whatever that it doesn't mean excoriating yourself when you get tricked by propaganda. It happens. To all of us. Every day.

The public relations industry is one hundred years old. It was envisioned by smart salesmen with a kind of cunning that'd make Machiavelli look naïve. Since then, it's been buttressed by ingenuity, manned and operated by clever, hardworking people who have keen insight into the human mind. It is a sophisticated space-age machine and should be seen as such.

It's no shame to be tricked by it, but to be alerted and then opting to stay tricked? That's not smart.

I can still remember South Park being so loving funny when it first came out. Their turnaround to selling stale jokes to idiots was so sudden and the show became the bane of every kind of political discussion because people just lapped it up. It got so bad you could tell when someone was about to spout word-for-word some poo poo Stan Marsh said like it was the Sermon on the Mount.

This is my problem too. It's would be a good thing if more people were being encouraged to be more aware of political and cultural goings-on, but really they're just being given a doctrine of jargon. It's a fashion statement. Thinking that you're part of an elite generation that suddenly accepts all people and cultures and no one had the wits to do it before is some grade-A bullshit and it's kind of sad to see young people accept it so readily. Then again, thinking for oneself was never easy to do at any point in history and being bombarded with messaging day in and day out like never before, it's probably drat hard to resist.

I feel sorry for kids in school now more than ever, because school never ends.

the people who loudly proclaim "advertising doesn't work on me" are often the biggest marks for capitalist propaganda and totally absorbed in liberal ideology

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm a bit of a rube so I've just worked to reduce my exposure to advertisements. I can spend all day without seeing a single ad, it is pretty nice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think advertisements are a fair price to pay for free entertainment.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

south park had a good episode where ads are depicted as a malevolent and increasingly sentient force that exist to distract people from doing anything substantive and instead buy stuff pc principal even got to be the hero because the ads were perverting the basically well meaning doctrine of wokeness which was awfully optimistic given whats happened in the real world since then

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Victory Position posted:

I thought this was the POPE-AGANDA thread, where we discuss papist plots and the Jesuit conspiracy

well, the vatican did originate the modern use of the word propaganda, through the formal Vatican missionary bureau the "Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith (Latin: Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide), or simply the Propaganda Fide"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

south park is far more responsible for smug contrarian libertarian schmucks than fascists. i'll cop to Faith Plus One being an excellent episode though

an actual dog posted:

if anyone tries to tell you that we're living through the bad times just say at least it isn't the 80s
the only reason i'm hesitant to say that we're living in the worst pop culture moment ever is because it was really bad in the '80s too

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Feb 2, 2019

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can let a lot slide as long as the actual comedy is good (parker/stone ARE very funny) but yeah its fans are a type of insufferable that goes far beyond other obnoxious fanbases. Fortunately I don't really hear too many people bring up dolphins or manbearpig to act smug about their respective issues but poo poo like the Turd Sandwich/Giant Douche have found a home amongst the worst logicbeards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

get that OUT of my face posted:

here's a guide to the Academy's rationales behind the Best Picture nominees
  • Black Klansman: "we like movies with wokeness and representation (but not really)"
  • Green Book: see above
  • Black Panther: see Black Klansman + "hey see we put a comic book movie here too, now shut up about Oscar bait"
  • Roma: see Black Klansman + "we're starting to warm up to movies released on streaming services (but not really)"
  • Vice: "we like movies with a timely, agreeable political message (but not really)"
  • The Favourite: "we like biopics and period pieces (only a little bit, but more than wokeness and good politics)"
  • A Star Is Born: "what we really, truly, actually like are movies that are a big reacharound to Hollywood itself"
  • Bohemian Rhapsody: "ok ok Bryan Singer, we'll give you a Best Picture nomination so you won't squeal like the big perverted pig you are"

huh that's weird sorry to bother you isn't on this list i wonder why

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

R. Guyovich posted:

the people who loudly proclaim "advertising doesn't work on me" are often the biggest marks for capitalist propaganda and totally absorbed in liberal ideology

people made fun of that head on commercial way back in the day but it got a shitload of media attention and i bet sold a shitload of head on

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

maybe Sorry to Bother You is legitimately subversive, but you can be drat sure that the studios will make sure that movies like that barely ever get made and released to wide audiences. the belief that it's a gun that capitalism is pointing at itself is nonsense

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Al! posted:

huh that's weird sorry to bother you isn't on this list i wonder why

it's because they didn't run an oscar campaign lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I saw an episode of this at my friends’ house recently where they backpedaled on the entire man bear pig thing and tried to apologize for it. Absolutely pathetic

Yeah, it was a wish washy apology and they still needed Gore, their stand in for anyone that cares about breathing, as a pathetic manchild. They’ve been trying in general to back away from the culture of pro capitalist nihilism they helped shepherd into culture for a little while now, but they can’t help being touchy rich gen x fogeys about it, so it rings hollow.

One of my faves is the original Ghostbusters. The real bad guy ends up being the EPA. Darn environmentalist government types, interfering with our lovable for profit small businessmen & making everything worse. That outlook sure worked out for us.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

The real bad guy ends up being the EPA. Darn environmentalist government types, interfering with our lovable for profit small businessmen & making everything worse. That outlook sure worked out for us.
Walter Peck was 100% right. There's a weird libertarian vibe running through that whole movie, and nowhere is it clearer than when the EPA guy says "Yo don't run an unlicensed nuclear reactor in the most densely populated city in the world, random fired college professors!" to which the Ghostbusters reply "This man has no dick"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Easy Diff posted:

Walter Peck was 100% right. There's a weird libertarian vibe running through that whole movie, and nowhere is it clearer than when the EPA guy says "Yo don't run an unlicensed nuclear reactor in the most densely populated city in the world, random fired college professors!" to which the Ghostbusters reply "This man has no dick"

Ghostbusters were the original disrupters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i still think Trading Places is funny as a whole, but there was honest-to-god blackface in it

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

maybe Sorry to Bother You is legitimately subversive, but you can be drat sure that the studios will make sure that movies like that barely ever get made and released to wide audiences. the belief that it's a gun that capitalism is pointing at itself is nonsense

I’ve started listening to an audiobook of Manufacturing Consent and what you said reminds me of an excerpt from the introduction.

quote:

These structural factors that dominate media operations are not alI- controlling and do not always produce simple and homogeneous results. It is well recognized, and may even be said to constitute a part of an insti- tutional critique such as we present in this volume, that the various parts of media organizations have some limited autonomy, that individual and professional values influence media work, that policy is imperfectly en- forced, and that media policy itself may allow some measure of dissent and reporting that calls into question the accepted viewpoint. These con- siderations all work to assure some dissent and coverage of inconvenient facts. The beauty of the system, however, is that such dissent and inconvenient information are kept within bounds and at the margins, so that while their presence shows that the system is not monolithic, they are not large enough to interfere unduly with the domination of the official agenda.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i still think Trading Places is funny as a whole, but there was honest-to-god blackface in it

I watched some Eddy Murphy standup from the 80s where it starts with him backstage with no shirt on, wearing a bright red leather half-jacket vest thing and tight leather red pants, doing huge lines of coke. then the camera follows him onstage and he starts a bit about how he doesn't "hate fags", he just doesn't want aids so has to be sure there aren't any "fags near him or anything" at all times, and the audience is just laughing so hard

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm gonna talk a little more about pro sports. i posted about the Vegas Golden Dawn Knights, their owner, and how they're openly fascist as a team. but Bill Foley never got tapped to be in the Trump administration. unfortunately, the NHL has two West Point brat owners and Vinny Viola, the owner of the Florida Panthers, is the other one

quote:

Vincent "Vinnie" Viola (born 1956) is an American billionaire businessman, philanthropist[citation needed], and U.S. Army veteran. He was for several weeks President Donald Trump's nominee for United States Secretary of the Army, before withdrawing from consideration.[2]
considering how he tore apart a front office that was doing a decent rebuild and replaced them on a whim with stat-first nerds that poo poo all over it, it's probably a good thing that he saw himself out. but you can totally see why Trump would want a guy like that

three years ago, he changed the logo the team had since it came into the NHL. it was a really cool logo and i wish they still had it

Viola changed it to this

if your reaction to that is "that looks like a soccer team's logo," i would agree with you. but there's more to it than that:

quote:

The logo is inspired by the patch for the Army's 101st Airborne Division. Vinnie Viola, who became owner of the Panthers prior to the 2013-14 season, served in the division.

"I think the logo harkens to the vanguard of courage, the idea that you put a shield on the hockey uniform," Viola said. "It's something to protect, but you also protect it. We wanted something that began a new tradition of winning and demonstrated courage and selfless dedication to a team pursuit of victory."

Vinnie Viola announced Thursday that the Panthers will play a preseason game Oct. 8 against the New Jersey Devils at the U.S. Military Academy's Tate Rink in West Point, N.Y., the home of Army hockey. John Viola said proceeds will go to Wounded Warriors.

"It's important for this organization because I think it's safe to say, for our family, the United States military has given us not only a big part of our value system but also the opportunity for us to even be here," John Viola said. "The idea that you belong to something greater than yourself is often lost in a world where it's really easy to just be by yourself.

"And we wanted to make sure that those values that are so important to who we are as a people, as a family, were part of this franchise. And the best way to do that is visually because people follow your brand and they follow what you look like. It's essential to who we are as a family, as shepherds of all of our organizations, and it'll be essential to who we are as the Florida Panthers."
it takes a lot of work to stick out as more fascist than average in pro sports, but VGK and the Panthers have managed to do that. please put a moratorium on egotistical veterans from owning sports teams. they have no restraint

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

sitchensis posted:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

"is an American billionaire businessman, philanthropist[citation needed], and"
art

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that ad episode i mentioned (pc principal final justice if you want to watch it) has an awkward bit at the end where i think stan says that this is gonna be hard because by letting pc principal be the hero they just admitted that his beliefs are sincere and even admirable which of course goes against the whole south park ethos

i dont think ive seen any other pc principal episodes so i dont know how they followed up on this

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Guess what movie this is for

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

still reading Transmetropolitan and it really seems to be degenerating (I'm on #41/60) into this weird medium for warren ellis to deliver like, increasingly insane monologues. #41 is this incredibly explicit series of interviews with fictional child prostitutes about the fictional sex things that happened to them in great detail, followed by a five page lecture from a social worker about how society is fine, its their parents that failed them. a whole page is talking about how it doesn't matter whether the state does something, or if they're poor, but that bad parenting is the cause of child prostitution

its weird and atonal even for transmetropolitan

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frog Act posted:

society is fine, its their parents that failed them

this is a big one that shows up everywhere the doctrine of personal responsibility effectively abdicates society of any blame for the horrid conditions of the underclass since they could just bootstrap their way out of it this obviously doesnt work that well with children so you have to literally blame them for the sins of the father luckily they usually get rescued by a horatio alger figure

was just thinking about the blind side the other day in this respect everything is the fault of giant black dudes lovely black friends and his drug addict mom meanwhile hes saved by a white republican interior designer who lives and talks like an antebellum aristocrat for all the entirely deserved flak that movie got for being a white savior fantasy by sheer accident its one of the best expositions of just how bad wealth inequality was in the united states even before the financial crisis

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Frog Act posted:

still reading Transmetropolitan and it really seems to be degenerating (I'm on #41/60) into this weird medium for warren ellis to deliver like, increasingly insane monologues. #41 is this incredibly explicit series of interviews with fictional child prostitutes about the fictional sex things that happened to them in great detail, followed by a five page lecture from a social worker about how society is fine, its their parents that failed them. a whole page is talking about how it doesn't matter whether the state does something, or if they're poor, but that bad parenting is the cause of child prostitution

its weird and atonal even for transmetropolitan

Transmet is the book that made me fall in love with Warren Ellis, and also the book that made me go, "OK, I get it, you are very mad and every character is a weird mashup of HST and a lecturing scold"

The good thing about Transmet is once you've read it and Planetary, you literally never need to read another Warren Ellis book because they are all exactly the same.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you acknowledge the political content of one piece of pop art or whatever you sort of have to acknowledge it everywhere else, which is probably just a pain in the rear end if you arent extremely online or going to university

When I was living in vague liberalism-by-default, the most serious issues were unsolvable, I felt like I had to accept disgusting compromises, and things generally didn't make sense. My ethics were pretty vague too, and individualistic, alienating. Now that C-SPAM has radicalized me, I can see that everything is political and feel a sense of purpose, instead of anxiety/defeat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always get weirded out when people celebrate 80s action movies because they were the most nakedly and dangerous propaganda I think you could imagine not coming directly from a government

We were kids back then. It's probably just pure nostalgia, I used to feel it when I was much younger (and I have the embarrassing MP3 mixes burned to CD-ROMs to prove it), but not anymore. There's this drive to make me nostalgic for the 80s but it's so goofy, so clumsy that it could only work if I wanted it to. Gunship, dude, maybe I just like your song on its own and not because it reminds me of my childhood [it doesn't], OK? I must have had listened to that song a hundred times before I realized it was a video (I leave YouTube playing in the background like a radio station, because I hate video, it monopolizes attention), and what a cringefest of a video too

I have no idea where and how Americans got "disrespecting the flag" out of the kneeling protests, and there didn't seem to be a liberal counter-narrative either, as if in the American mind the connection was obvious. Even if there was a connection, "disrespecting the flag" is such a nakedly fascistic concern, it's crazy. It's a football game, why can't you riot like civilized people, why do you have to be so militaristic

Low Desert Punk posted:

It says a lot that it's touted by comic book fans and critics as one of the best Batman stories ever made

It is, though. It's really loving good. The problem with it is not that it was fascistic, it's that it was extremely influential. Batman writers post-The Dark Knight Returns copied the aesthetics and with it, probably unintentionally (because liberalism is political blindness), the ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
To contribute, a thesis: the new hero archetype has a median value of "FBI agent" and a range that goes from "FBI consultant" to "CIA agent"

We live in an age where this is, somehow, not a joke:

"Limitless posted:

An average twenty-eight-year-old man who gains the ability to use the full extent of his brain's capabilities is hired by the F.B.I. as a consultant.

Now, I haven't watched the show outside of a couple half episodes, but I don't remember any awareness of how absurd the premise is. A man in his twenties, who gains the ability to use the full extent of his brain's capabilities, could literally do anything he wanted, potentially become the most remarkable man in history... and goes work for the FBI. I've skimmed the episode list on Wikipedia, and there doesn't even appear to be coercion involved, he just accepts it because he's a loser and needs to make something of his life

I have often railed against fantasy where the highest aspiration of the hero is getting to wear a uniform, no matter how exceptional the hero may be: of course, you'll never amount to nothing unless you join the ranks, take your place in the organizational pyramid and... fight crime. Imagine Jesus Christ becoming a star magistrate of the Roman empire, instead of one of the most influential holy men in history

This isn't limited to Limitless. Are you a team of Mary Sues with magic high IQ powers? DHS consultants. Genius mathematician? FBI consultant. Hagiographic star forensic anthropologist? FBI consultant

What does the FBI do, though? Well, monsters in human form live among us, predators against which we're as defenseless as lambs among wolves. Especially women, if you're a woman basically imagine you have a rape/murder countdown over your head. The FBI can't save us, but maybe a warm, wise forensic anthropologist can interrogate our corpses for clues, and stern but caring field agents can save the next would-be victim in the nick of time. There are so many shows that fit this description that I won't even try to list them all

TV heroes used to be rogues, but at some point, they became cops