Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Much love goes out to Rhyno's new av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Benito Cereno posted:

This is the same weird thing that leads to the Goofy-Pluto “problem.” It’s not actually a problem because Goofy’s not actually a dog. Donald isn’t a duck. Mickey isn’t a mouse. They are humans who are caricatured as dogs, ducks, mice. Carl Barks and Don Rosa would 100% back me up on this.

edit: Pluto is a dog

Or how do tables work at Redwall? The animals are closer to the same size than they are in real life, but a badger is still like three or four times the height of a shrew. So how does it work when they all sit down at the same table?

The answer is don't worry about it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Much love goes out to Rhyno's new av.

My previous AV was vandalized by a dude who was just revealed to be a bad person so I needed a change. This seemed fitting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I meant to post this on Valentines', but check out the awesome Russell Dauterman variant cover for Love Romances!

:swoon:
Just kinda bummed there's apparently no Peter/MJ story in the book, but still, that cover!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish the Sonic comic hadn't killed the Mega Man comic. That Mega Man comic was pretty good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

My previous AV was vandalized by a dude who was just revealed to be a bad person so I needed a change. This seemed fitting.

Who would be so low down to vandalize Coach Bloodshot?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Couldn't he just eat a cow and grow his Av back

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Who would be so low down to vandalize Coach Bloodshot?

Well it's been Coach Bloodbut for months.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

That's so dumb and pointless I literally never noticed.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Lurdiak posted:

I wish the Sonic comic hadn't killed the Mega Man comic. That Mega Man comic was pretty good.

It was so so good. Maybe IDW can reboot that one next.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

I thought you did that to yourself, it was way more silly than insulting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Agent_grey posted:

It was so so good. Maybe IDW can reboot that one next.

I was a little grumpy about it at the time because every fight in it is over in like 4 panels but honestly the character work more than makes up for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I thought you did that to yourself, it was way more silly than insulting.

He gave a lot of people vaguely changed text. It was weird. He was a weird dude who showed us a whole new side recently.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Lurdiak posted:

I was a little grumpy about it at the time because every fight in it is over in like 4 panels but honestly the character work more than makes up for it.

I used to read it with my son, he thought it was amazing. I did think the issue where they discuss freewill in robots might've been slow for him, it was really well done but he was 7 and all about the robot fisticuffs, but he liked it and he kept bringing it up for days.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Well this is wild!

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1097059613399236608

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A customer once told me about that and I was not only 100% convinced he was full of poo poo, I mocked him several times about it.

Holy crap! I gotta hit him up on FB jow and apologize!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I remember seeing that posted somewhere, not because of Peter and Gwen getting married, but because Peter has black hair.

Hombre Arana is a great name too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've never heard of this before and now I'm desperate to read it.

Here's a cover gallery if you want to check out what these books looked like:

https://www.tebeosfera.com/numeros/spiderman_1963_la_prensa_-el_sorprendente_hombre_arana-_1.html

Apparently he teams up with "Original Character Do Not Steal" Vampirella:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 17, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Those fools! They've called attention to him! Now Marvel's gonna kill him off in Spider-Verse 3: The Third One!

Weirdly it's not even the first time Peter's been depicted with black hair.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

He gave a lot of people vaguely changed text. It was weird. He was a weird dude who showed us a whole new side recently.

What? Who?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An AI regular.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Honestly though, DEFAULT STATUS POOPING

Tell me that's not poo poo you'd write for yourself, Rhyno.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I laughed

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1097338579863257089?s=19

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hugh Jackman slowly developed manspreading habits over the course of this interview.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jacked man shaved off his beard during the interview

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Magneto adopting the comics counterpart colour scheme as he aged too

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Magneto adopting the comics counterpart colour scheme as he aged too

Why not? Magneto has a legit great color scheme. I mean, except for those few years where he wore the purple Superman suit with a big M on his chest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Two issues of the Wonder Woman story arc where she lost her powers and became a kung fu spy were written by Samuel Delany. As far as I can tell, they were the only superhero comics he ever wrote.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

Two issues of the Wonder Woman story arc where she lost her powers and became a kung fu spy were written by Samuel Delany. As far as I can tell, they were the only superhero comics he ever wrote.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame it got derailed, and one of the issues was wrapping up a Denny O'Neil story. His second and last issue is interesting, involving a Diana who's not just powerless but homeless joining a radical womens' group and fighting against exploitative labor practices. There's a marvelous bit in it which remains pretty stinging in the context of WW's publication history, where a corrupt and sexist business-owner tries to co-opt Diana as a faux-feminist figurehead, and you know, she tells him where he can put his proposal. IIRC his projected plan for the whole run would have culminated in WW defending an abortion clinic from bad-guys-- very much in line with the socially conscious wing of DC at the time but also much more, and much more Delany-- I can see a lot of the issues he writes about so movingly in Times Square Red/Times Square Blue incubating in his ideas for WW.

It has a pretty good cliff-hanger, too-- Diana and her new friends go storm the guy's department store, rescue their captive friend, and put him away, then at the end a bunch of other women confront her about having lost their jobs thanks to her. It's super dense and twisty and fun-- it reminds me a lot of G. Willow Wilson's early Ms. Marvel arcs.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 21, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a shame it got derailed, and one of the issues was wrapping up a Denny O'Neil story. His second and last issue is interesting, involving a Diana who's not just powerless but homeless joining a radical womens' group and fighting against exploitative labor practices. There's a marvelous bit in it which remains pretty stinging in the context of WW's publication history, where a corrupt and sexist business-owner tries to co-opt Diana as a faux-feminist figurehead, and you know, she tells him where he can put his proposal. IIRC his projected plan for the whole run would have culminated in WW defending an abortion clinic from bad-guys-- very much in line with the socially conscious wing of DC at the time but also much more, and much more Delany-- I can see a lot of the issues he writes about so movingly in Times Square Red/Times Square Blue incubating in his ideas for WW.

It has a pretty good cliff-hanger, too-- Diana and her new friends go storm the guy's department store, rescue their captive friend, and put him away, then at the end a bunch of other women confront her about having lost their jobs thanks to her. It's super dense and twisty and fun-- it reminds me a lot of G. Willow Wilson's early Ms. Marvel arcs.

It's the only issue in the entire run that feels like it has a clear idea of what the gently caress it's doing. I actually kinda like the kung fu spy Wonder Woman, but it's real bad. Wonder Woman wears mod clothes and has a new love interest every issue, and that was the extent of their ideas. It's mostly modern day crook and spy stuff but every now and then she'll get pulled into a fantasy world and have a barbarian battle. That's the only real fantasy or sci-fi aspect of the run, Wonder Woman visits three or four different barbarian worlds and has barbarian battles there. Also Wonder Woman does yoga, which at the time people thought was magic. It's a plot point that Wonder Woman does yoga therefore she can go several days without eating or drinking.

I wish they had let Delaney write it for a while longer but It's kind of amazing they let the series stagger around for as long as they did. And the final issue is a hilariously clean break. They kill her sidekick, put her back on Themyscira, erase her memory of the whole thing, and immediately jump into a new storyline about Wonder Woman's secret black sister, Nubia.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gripweed posted:

Also Wonder Woman does yoga, which at the time people thought was magic. It's a plot point that Wonder Woman does yoga therefore she can go several days without eating or drinking.

But it is magic. It lets you stretch your limbs and spit fire.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s this guy at the bar known as Clark Kent because he looks and acts like he’s pretending not to be Superman. He’d clean up with the ladies if he wasn’t so awkward, and you almost think he’s doing it on purpose.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So it looks like the Dark Horse comics series Usagi Yojimbo has been cancelled, with the last volume of the long running series being printed this year...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/arts/design/usagi-yojimbo-new-publisher.html

...Because IDW are picking it up and printing an all new, all colour series mother fuckers. They're gonna reprint that old poo poo* in colour too, which gives those of us** who have all the series already taking up too much room an excuse to buy it all again.

*Usagi Yojimbo is the greatest and most consistently awesome comic book series ever released onto an unworthy public and if you don't already read it you should get on that.
** me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who wants to get married by cosmic ghost rider

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1099112642164211714?s=19

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

Who wants to get married by cosmic ghost rider

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1099112642164211714?s=19

Have him marry Eddie and Venom or it's all for nothing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Fuuuuuuuuck.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1100203618467102726?s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quick! Someone correct my spelling of Spiderman!

"It's Spider-Man. With a hyphen."
:goonsay:

:smug:

Edit: Maybe JJJ is right. In Amazing #1, Spiderman steals and wrecks a motorboat. He's a menace!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 27, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
hyphens hadn't been invented back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

hyphens hadn't been invented back then

Weirdly, in Amazing Spider-Man #1, half the pages spell it Spiderman and the other half use Spider-Man. I suspect the change resulted from word balloons where they often had to break the name up onto two lines which happens all the time AF15 and ASM1.