Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

You will become a less powerful gamer if you only watch other people play

what if you watch other people play while playing something yourself at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Propaganda Hour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o

Ars Technica's War Stories interview series is excellent, but I think this is the best video so far. Some of the details about unit path-finding and full-screen video encoding in the early CD-ROM era are incredibly interesting.

I miss Westwood.

"now that we were part of electronic arts we had a lot of freedom"

god those were the days huh

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve always wondered, in a world with typical huge anime eyes, why are Brock’s drawn like that? Is he supposed to be a specific ethnicity?

Brock's head is drawn like a rock.

Now, you might be saying "LawfulWaffle, Geodude and Onyx both have eyes!" But you have only demonstrated yourself to be a cool, as those are rock-type Pokemon. Brock is a rock, not a rock-type.

e: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MkJsBrj

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That has me thinking, in the English-language Kingdom Hearts when you get norted your name is an anagram plus an X. How did they do it in the original Japanese

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That has me thinking, in the English-language Kingdom Hearts when you get norted your name is an anagram plus an X. How did they do it in the original Japanese

i dunno but i would guess the same way olimar is a japanese anagram of mario phonetically

ma ri o

o ri ma

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ok close em again please

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I've been playing some Doom 2016 and while it's great I'm having a lot of trouble unlocking the classic maps. I feel like I've been really thorough, gotten most of the other secrets, but only 1 classic map so far. I've noticed locked doors with an area behind them that I can't get to but can see on my map is a recurring theme, but I can't seem to figure out how to open these doors. On the one I unlocked there was just a lever to pull in a adjacent room but that seems a lot more obvious than whatever else I must be missing. Are the rest unlocked by a similar system of finding something nearby to interact with? Are there some other conditions that need to be met? Are the solutions not clearly telegraphed like in the originals where you just press use on walls and stuff? I'd love to be pointed in the right direction here without getting the answer outright.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All of them require a lever pull. Typically within a room or two of where the door opens.

I just looked up a guide.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Thanks, I'll give it another shot now that I know what to look for.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've been playing some Doom 2016 and while it's great I'm having a lot of trouble unlocking the classic maps. I feel like I've been really thorough, gotten most of the other secrets, but only 1 classic map so far. I've noticed locked doors with an area behind them that I can't get to but can see on my map is a recurring theme, but I can't seem to figure out how to open these doors. On the one I unlocked there was just a lever to pull in a adjacent room but that seems a lot more obvious than whatever else I must be missing. Are the rest unlocked by a similar system of finding something nearby to interact with? Are there some other conditions that need to be met? Are the solutions not clearly telegraphed like in the originals where you just press use on walls and stuff? I'd love to be pointed in the right direction here without getting the answer outright.

I would recommend taking a good look at the one lever you have found, because all the levers on Mars look exactly like it. If you want, here is a picture of what they look like in Hell with no location spoilers. As for finding them, while most secrets usually have something telegraphing their existence or at least are placed somewhere you'd end up if you were looking for a secret, the levers are placed in areas designed to make them as hard to find as possible. Sometimes getting to them feels like exploiting level geometry to get somewhere the developers didn't intend, other times getting to them means going to a room you've been in 15 times and looking in a corner or on top of a stack of boxes you'd never looked twice at before. This is compounded by the fact that the levers are so nondescript that you'd never notice them unless you were looking for them.

Basically, when you look at something in DOOM, there are three things you might think; "That's probably the main path," "There's probably a secret there," or, "That's probably not something I'm supposed to bother with." The levers are hidden in places which invoke the third thought. That might not sound helpful, but realizing that made them a lot easier to find for me. Good luck, don't feel bad if you have to look up a couple, they're devious.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

if i have games on multiple systems i want to play i take out the controllers and let the cat decide what game i play based on which controller she sniffs first.

I keep the systems in different rooms so i can only play one at any given time

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's based on the western spelling in japanese too. That's why one of the scenes added in final mix literally shows the roman characters being rearranged from Sora to Roxas, so it would be clearer to japanese players.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

THEYRE BACK UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuW27RdPnVw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This question has led me down a rabbit hole to watching Kingdom Hearts cutscenes in Spanish and the Spanish Goofy just sounds like a standard speaking voice :confused:

Edit: also Squall and Cloud in French is some straight up art-film poo poo. Also "Dingo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyQ73cjzfY&t=374s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Prey is my 16th completed game of 2019.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkazT3HEq9U

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's a dude named Pence?!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/boogadrew/status/1100876918738448384

https://twitter.com/shrugopolis/status/1101267990861930498

Oh ho ho noooooo, Matt Conn is a big no-no.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The new Toejam and Earl is like literally getting the lowest scores it could get and still make me buy it.

Edit: :lol: well that was bad timing for this post

Also play the Ratchet and Clank series people. It's a series basically based around trying to make the most fun weapons possible

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

axelblaze posted:

The new Toejam and Earl is like literally getting the lowest scores it could get and still make me buy it.

It is? The ones I've seen have been extremely positive and basically liken it to the original game.

Too late anyway because I already have it preloaded on my Switch, I need the funk in my face.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The impression seems to be that it's a remake of the first game with some expanded stuff.

If you liked the first game, you'll like it. If you don't like that style of roguelite gameplay or were after something more modern in scope, you won't.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Toejam and Earl sucked anyway, not sure why people want another one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Verranicus posted:

Yeah but The attitude was on point though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I was going to take issue but I realize now that I was thinking of Joe & Mac

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Joe and Mac was probably one of the first ten SNES games I ever beat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I was going to take issue but I realize now that I was thinking of Joe & Mac

No no, youre thinking of Zack and Wiki

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Barudak posted:

No no, youre thinking of Zack and Wiki

It's a common mistake, but actually you're thinking of pocky and rocky

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Joe and Mac was probably one of the first ten SNES games I ever beat

me and my friend tried for hours to beat Joe and Mac 2 but the boss rush coupled with the bullshit final boss drove us to look up the ending

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After replaying them all a million times in the boss rushes, I have figured out what makes a good Hollow Knight boss: staying in loving melee range so I can hit it with my goddamn sword

gently caress off, every single backer boss and also soul tyrant

The melee bosses almost universally rule though

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Ariong posted:

I would recommend taking a good look at the one lever you have found, because all the levers on Mars look exactly like it. If you want, here is a picture of what they look like in Hell with no location spoilers. As for finding them, while most secrets usually have something telegraphing their existence or at least are placed somewhere you'd end up if you were looking for a secret, the levers are placed in areas designed to make them as hard to find as possible. Sometimes getting to them feels like exploiting level geometry to get somewhere the developers didn't intend, other times getting to them means going to a room you've been in 15 times and looking in a corner or on top of a stack of boxes you'd never looked twice at before. This is compounded by the fact that the levers are so nondescript that you'd never notice them unless you were looking for them.

Basically, when you look at something in DOOM, there are three things you might think; "That's probably the main path," "There's probably a secret there," or, "That's probably not something I'm supposed to bother with." The levers are hidden in places which invoke the third thought. That might not sound helpful, but realizing that made them a lot easier to find for me. Good luck, don't feel bad if you have to look up a couple, they're devious.

Thank you, this is all very helpful. The one that I found was actually one of the ones in hell, in front of a furnace/fireplace that seemed clear enough. I guess it kind of blended in a bit. That one classic map is a doozy though. I had a crazy jump scare when I opened up a wall at low health hoping to find some pickups and there was a cacodemon that instantly bit my face off.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1101208993878298625

quote:

All “Child” bedtime event cutscenes removed

Surely nobody can complain about something like this being removed to ensure a western release.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
THQ's new audience must be fuming

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also do I want to know why "child" is in quotes?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow Fortnite sucks

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1101127495947046912

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
weezer release a music video for their cover of take on me and its teenager rivers playing in his teenage band and the twist is it becomes a weezer origin story because he draw the w in his notebook and then he stares at it like he has seen the face of god

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Weezer's height of popularity was a quarter century ago

This is like if Elvis Presley were featured in Super Mario Bros.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Apex Legends has Epic panicking that much huh?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can't wait for PUBG to release a Smashing Pumpkins map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This game has no loving soul

It has no identity

I hate it so much