Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Accordion Man posted:

Apex Legends has Epic panicking that much huh?

They had Marshmello before Apex but this does seem a little strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what's a Fortnite "season"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Motto posted:

A large update.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

Its been out a year and they already on like the 10th one so probably an event that lasts a few weeks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Motto posted:

I think someone else in this thread posted about how fortnite will just up and change or add a lot of poo poo all at once to shake up the game so I assume that's what a season is, just new/changed content.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you have more than 4 seasons in a year seriously get the gently caress out

English is a living language but there are limits

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

This game has no loving soul

It has no identity

I hate it so much
not a fan of weezer huh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A fortnite season is like 5 weeks I think.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it should be two weeks, come on

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you have more than 4 seasons in a year seriously get the gently caress out

English is a living language but there are limits

Relax Or DIE posted:

it should be two weeks, come on

Which one?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nah, its more like 10 weeks, but sometimes they make them a little longer if the next season isn't ready yet. a season is mostly just an excuse to make kids steal their parents credit cards for another battle pass, but each season broadly has some theme that dictates how they're gonna gently caress up the map over the next couple months and also the general type of cosmetic stuff that they'll be adding. like the winter season just ended, which had a ton of christmas themed stuff and saw the map become slowly engulfed in snow and ice

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Not as much as Ali-A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBFCdQhIQA&t=124s

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thanks Grouchio

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This thread every time Fortnite comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8YIn5okX8

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

hmm this looks like a video i am going to click

*makes brownies instead*

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
who among us can say that they don't enjoy a good 'cringe' from time to time

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fortnite seasons are already predetermined, and this is the 8th one. They usually bring larger meta changes associated with the map(a large magic cube appeared in season 5 and changed the map every other day adding new places to loot) and are usually tied to a theme that most of the skins will adhere to, with end of season skins hinting towards the next one. I liked season 6, my first full season cause it has rad black cowboys and girls but since then it's been super euro centric with token black skins that look really uninspired. The newest one looks like a hasty life line rip off.

But, I think epic has known about apex for while. The zip lines first appeared 2 seasons ago, about 6 months or so, which would still be after streamers had seen a full fledged version of the game. I think they've been messing with redeploying and faster ways to get around to combat the speed of apex with it's balloon systems. Main speculative proof is that the meta was not changed at the behest of the pros who loved everything about the game until season 5.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Relax Or DIE posted:

It lost me when they introduced evil John Noble

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

axelblaze posted:

Also do I want to know why "child" is in quotes?

Rising Superstreamer Liam explains:

quote:

So like, not a spoiler, but a core part of the premise of the game is that the characters are clones that rapidly age from young childhood to an elderly age and die (within two weeks iirc). Afterwards, you revive them as children again and the cycle repeats. Narratively, they retain their memories throughout this process, which they will experience many, many times through the course of the story. It's a pretty neat premise imo. In terms of gameplay, characters grow more powerful but slow down as they age, and once they die you get to carry certain things forward. All cool so far.

A secondary system, if I remember right, is the bond system ("kizuna" is the Japanese word, so I think bond is appropriate). The characters can grow close to each other over the course of the game and eventually sleep with each other. Surprisingly, you can also have characters sleep with characters of either gender, and pair them up in any combination with each other. It's a pretty big side thing in the game, and there's tons of unique dialogue and CGs. It's been a while since I watched the footage and some of this information comes from Japanese forum posts that I read at the time as well, so please, big grain of salt on this next part. It is at very least implied (perhaps outright stated but my Japanese isnt great) that some character pairings have sex with each other during these events, but never the children (this does not make their portrayal like this okay in my opinion, just relaying what I've heard/seen). The art with the kids in these scenes is very, very creepy looking as the characters are still acting, well, in character (Will absolutely not post it, feel free to search for the kizuna scenes. They've been online for a long time so search away.) and anyone who saw footage ahead of time could have seen this change coming a million miles away. I very much appreciate that every character can sleep with every other character (male or female), and there are some interesting character dynamics in there, but I do think it was insanely gauche of them to even have a go at portraying the kids the way they did (the "but they still have their memories" handwave obviously improves nothing despite their narrative intent). The characters are also portrayed like this in their elderly state, and there is a narrative that runs throughout involving social taboos and such, so they really went whole hog. Like way, way too whole hog.

To be 1000000% clear so nobody takes me as defending this; I absolutely do not think they should have portrayed the kids the way they did in the bond scenes. They are far from fully clothed and I'm surprised they went as far as they did. The art is skeevy as hell. Maybe just don't sexualize children. Wild thought, I know.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol that's a Mr Show sketch you dumbasses.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

sir this is the Mirror Store drive-thru

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ooo-wee-ooo i play just like playerunknown

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thanks Liam. You're the best.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

the ben stiller show was honestly better dumbass

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did Ben Stiller play Smash tho

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

homeless snail posted:

not a fan of weezer huh

Weezer's last good thing was Pinkerton

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was today supergameranthony's bday

I heard it was today

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQw5okCa74
only two sketches on mr. show ever reach the height of this and its probably the taint sketch and the monk academy sketch

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mr E posted:

Weezer's last good thing was

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm a bigger gamer than supergameranthony

May 8, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

congratulations on your gains

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I watched the buddy holly video a lot because it came on the windows 95 CD for some reason. that's my Weezer story thanks for reading

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

when matt sharp left the band and form the rentals

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We all joked about that guy but then Smash Ultimate proved he was some kind of prophet

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Man I don't even know if that was his name

Gamemasteranthony, that's the right name

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

They say cringing works all the muscles in the body.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of Weezer's music videos was just a bunch of internet memes and that most definitely did not age well in any way, shape, or form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHPYelqr0E

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I beat Lara Croft GO. That was some fine videogamin'.

I'll save the extra books for later, I think.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FirstAidKite posted:

One of Weezer's music videos was just a bunch of internet memes and that most definitely did not age well in any way, shape, or form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHPYelqr0E

wow look at this someone who doesn't cry every time when fake britteny spears gets a hug from weezer to let her know its all right we all been there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Fortnite seasons are already predetermined, and this is the 8th one. They usually bring larger meta changes associated with the map(a large magic cube appeared in season 5 and changed the map every other day adding new places to loot) and are usually tied to a theme that most of the skins will adhere to, with end of season skins hinting towards the next one. I liked season 6, my first full season cause it has rad black cowboys and girls but since then it's been super euro centric with token black skins that look really uninspired. The newest one looks like a hasty life line rip off.

But, I think epic has known about apex for while. The zip lines first appeared 2 seasons ago, about 6 months or so, which would still be after streamers had seen a full fledged version of the game. I think they've been messing with redeploying and faster ways to get around to combat the speed of apex with it's balloon systems. Main speculative proof is that the meta was not changed at the behest of the pros who loved everything about the game until season 5.
yeah I could see that, because the ziplines came out of nowhere and unlike everything else that happens to fortnite they didn't try to justify their existence in some weird way, they just were there