Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

I feel like singleplayer card games might only become more popular after Slay the Spire's success. Image & Flow is doing a card-based RPG, for one, and they're good at what they do so that'll probably just push the trend even more.

Also someone's going to do something with Dota Auto Chess sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The problem with MGSV wasn't the environment traversal, it was the god drat helicopters.

Video games have made me never want to see a helicopter again. I boo whenever a game brings out the ol' lovely copter.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

How dare you disrespect the memory of Mike.

Mike is indeed good but we should’ve let copters die with him rather than filling games with terrible helicopters that stain his memory.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

Every time I am reminded that Rhythm Heaven exists I am compelled to open up my 3DS and play a bit

The Rhythm Heaven Remix Editor dev is working on adding support for playing along with custom remixes and I've been refreshing that Github constantly. That thing has already absorbed my life and that'd make it even better.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Did anyone add Anthem to the bioware story cliche chart yet

Why isn't Sonic Chronicles on here

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
IIRC it didn't really start out as a Metroidvania, and the tweak system was added to give people something to unlock. The overall impression I get from both the game and from the dev's post-release postings is that he sorta spent the entire game's development being torn in all kinds of directions; from what he wanted to do to what the players would want to do, to what would make the game more successful... all sorts of things. He basically had a breakdown when it was finally released because it just sorta felt like a hole in his life to spend that much time on something. He's sworn off making indies of that scale again, and I'm not even sure how much its success/lack thereof (I'm not sure which) has to do with that.

The lead dev of Owlboy seems to have gone through a similar sorta feeling. Spending a decade+ on one game really isn't a good idea, even if it IS successful.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 19, 2019

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

loving t-spinner. The game is called Tetris, not T-Spin! Win using a Tetris! I got my first 1st place today with 0 t-spins!
(I'm still learning how to t-spin well and this video does a good job of showing how best to set them up...)

What if it stands for Tetris-spin

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Please tell me she's doing an entire week out of these

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7MJljsoUSo

Baba is You is less than a month away! :woop:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Did any of ya'll ever play Rain World?

Would you consider it a good game?

I made some posts on it a while ago, let me dig those out:

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World is such a weird game for me because I... think it's a masterpiece, but my memories of it are such a blur. It's one of the most oppressive game worlds I've ever seen; I look back at The Exterior and it just boggles my mind how I was able to even begin to get through that, but that's sorta what the game does, it makes you start operating purely on instinct to survive the everything. Getting through an area you spent the last few hours beating your head against is so satisfying, and sometimes the procedural generation blesses you with absolute magic like fighting alongside a gang of scavengers in a war against a lizard horde and then a vulture flies in and causes even more chaos and it's the best poo poo ever.

I feel like it's worth showing just why the game has its title, because it's really something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUzm4tfOkg

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World has some of the most impressive procedural creature behavior/animation that I've ever seen. Making friends with scavengers and then roaming with them to kill jerk-rear end lizards is great. However, the game is absurdly difficult, punishing, and very very vague. It's definitely meant to be that way, but it's something to keep in mind.

There are some vitally important things that aren't communicated very well:
- Double tap the 'eat' button to switch held objects between hands. The easiest way to kill lizards is to hit their head with a rock and then spear them, but you need to be sure you're holding the rock in the slugcat's right hand to actually do this. Spears have priority on pickup so if you don't know this function you basically can't reliably kill lizards except through tricky movement.
- Crouch before entering thick pipes to make sure you enter head first, otherwise you'll move very slowly. Thin pipes, the ones that are just a dotted line, don't matter for this. Also, you can cross over lizards in the same thin pipe moving in the opposite direction. It makes no sense whatsoever but it's very useful.
- DO NOT press the jump key underwater. Just like every video game, this speeds you up. Unlike most video games, it makes you lose practically all your air and will make you drown almost immediately. The best way to move underwater is in a snaking motion, which gives you a decent speed. I almost quit the game because I had no idea how I was supposed to swim any sort of distance underwater.

So yes, I like it quite a lot. I've been meaning to get back into it since there was an absurdly massive fan mod made recently that adds a ton of areas, characters, and really nice quality-of-life stuff features (icons for enemies in the room should cut down on a lot of annoying deaths). I need to give that a shot, it looks like one of the slugcats you can play as is basically just 'Splosion Man.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

it’s short for uninstall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6P-rEylWaQ

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

somebody decided this was the best possible look for a sly cooper movie

To be honest I remember seeing a still of Sly that looked way worse than that, and Bentley looks pretty good imo (outside of the teeth). Murray though, whoof.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

One of Weezer's music videos was just a bunch of internet memes and that most definitely did not age well in any way, shape, or form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHPYelqr0E

It's wild how much old memes blew rear end.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So many old memes were just about directly making fun of someone or just stating that a thing exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Did you know? All memes have a very temporary shelf life before they become "bad".

Steamed Hams retired with grace imo.