Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Missed Fate/Extella LINK the only game I shall be purchasing this month.

fate extella sucked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it supposed to be obvious where to turn in port reports in Sunless Skies and I'm just missing something or is it supposed to be something I need to figure out on my own

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

I know they said before it can't work on a single screen without compromising the game's primary feature of manual mapping (which would loving suck on the Switch's touchscreen anyway)

I'm sure this isn't true of everyone but I definitely wouldn't have cared if the games auto-mapped, it was basically just busy work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

There should be a couple of small side ports just to the west of New Winchester (at least they were to the west in my game), one for the Stovepipes and another for the Tacketies, that’s where you turn port reports in

Thanks I must have just missed it. I'll putter around Winchester looking for it. Since the maps are circular, I suspect the randomness in the map comes from rotating rather than rearranging like it did in sunless sea.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's also a huge disconnect between "we should do something" in the abstract and agreeing to any specific action. There's a lot of people who in principle aren't deniers but oppose any actual course of action to do something. Which is possibly even more infuriating (though definitely less harmful)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

Why isn't there an Atelier megathread

Also why does my phone know the word "megatank" :tinfoil:

According to the rpg thread they always fall off the forums quickly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Sunless Sea/Skies would be vastly improved if your ship being destroyed just returned you to port with a lot of your cargo lost, but no actual story loss.

I'm basically just loading a save every time I die because I don't want to spend hours catching back up. Even if that catchup would have a lot of new content, I want to actually see the ends of stories someday.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ffxiv is fun but it's a serious time commitment. I don't even mean in the sense that endgame is a skinner box designed to keep you subbed (though it is), I mean in that the main story campaign to reach endgame is probably approaching 200 hours long by this point if you start from the beginning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

It is absolutely the worst FF story ever

I can tell what's going on in it so it's better than 13 at least

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

There is no way that isn't a mess.

It's a bit messy but not in the way you think. The story team cares an insane amount. Like, more than is probably healthy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm in the second map in Sunless Skies and I am now appreciating that the large inaccessible islands and corridors of space between them design of the previous map, while not perfect, is way way better than a bunch of empty space dotted with small islands

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My bioware take is that I really liked dragon age origins at the time but probably wouldn't have if I played it for the first time today. Since then I've kept playing them out of inertia. 2 was laughably bad in many respects but also cool in some others and inquisition also exists I guess

Really Pants posted:

in that case the next new hotness will be: microtransactions for every input and button press

Finally, pannenkoek's time to shine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Playing every big AAA game as they release and nothing else is pretty alien to me but more power to them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

i had to click to do combat in DA:O and that's where i stopped playing, so that was about 5 minutes in

its 2019, point and click should be for city builders and adventure games only

it wasn't 2019 at the time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What are some cool names for recent games. Something distinctive, yet cool sounding.

Sunless Skies

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

never listen to jrpg reviews

quote:

You may well like the quirky, crafting gameplay of Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland. You may well get into harvesting ingredients and building this little backwater into a real kingdom. But it is impossible to enjoy the game as a complete experience because you see everything through the eyes of one of the most vapid gaming protagonists ever created, and do all of your adventuring in a world so sickeningly sweet that you should get screened for adult-onset diabetes the moment you put down the gamepad. This, plus the repetitive nature of the campaign and the timed goals, betray the good elements provided through the crafting and adventuring.

Fun fact, while trying to find this quote, I had to go a few results down because googling "Atelier Meruru vapid" turned up multiple reviews

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MMF Freeway posted:

good troll idea: get the chat thread to write 1 million words about game you got then decide to not play it

Almost the equal of coming to the thread, asking a question that gets a long, thoughtful reply that took a while to write, and then never ever posting in the thread ever again

at least say thanks, random drive by posters!!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If 7.3 million in sales is too low, make smaller loving games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like Disney would say that they're happy with EA right up until the exact second they end the licensing deal. Them saying they're happy with the deal has essentially no meaning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sen's is very close to perfect. The bonfire should be a little bit harder to miss (but not completely impossible to miss, mind you) but otherwise it's exactly what it should be

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like it when two things I like crossover in something good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Focus on the good thing at the end imo

Given a thing is good, it becomes even better if it can latch onto my memories of other good things so that it functions as like, 1.1 good things in total. That said, latching onto positive memories won't turn something bad into something good except in very very borderline scenarios (looking at you fate/extella, which I ditched the instant I finished Tamamo's story because I don't have any positive memories of Atilla)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

The Altera story is good and also has Gilgamesh and Iskander, and she is certainly more fun to play than Tamamo.

Tamamo is my favorite Fate character and it would have taken a miracle for Atilla to be good enough to salvage the third arc since Tamamo was barely enough for the second

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

I was thinking iltwitterate but yours rolls off the tongue better.

So this is basically just somebody getting dogpiled, but we needed a new word for it for some reason?

Looking at the ratio of replies to likes is just a quick way to tell whether or not they're getting dogpiled

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

I'll have a day at work tomorrow with virtually nothing to do. Anyone have any recs for phone games that actually feel substantive?

If you're on android, you can emulate GBA or SNES easily

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Remember when Mario’s voice was a gruff Brooklynite? Before the happy, shrill yelping that can’t form a sentence?

no I don't

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ESO was a game that I played like 100 hours of and went "wait I'm still not anywhere near the end level cap and I've played more than the number of hours I think this game is worth" and then stopped. Maybe I'll jump back in someday idk

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Crispy pancakes whose form factors allow for better syrup containment

waffles are way better

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

It's 2019 and this is the year the queers take over video games. Your new mandated ship pairings are Link/Sheikh, Leon/Chris and Yuna/Rikku/Paine.

can I ship Mimi/Totori instead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think there's a single game dev or game company whose releases I am automatically interested in. Franchises sure but not devs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

Weird. Do you feel the same about authors and directors?

I don't really watch movies and yeah I do feel that way about authors.

e: the reason franchises prove an exception is that they're usually the same company/dev setting out to make something similar to the thing I already liked. If they start a new IP, there's no guarantee my tastes will overlap with that dev's outside of the one spot where I know they do. Genre is a much more reliable guide to finding things that overlap with my tastes at that point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Devs usually stick to a specific genre so you might be overanalyzing the situation? Dunno

Yeah that's true so I do end up playing a lot of stuff by the same teams for that reason but I was mostly responding to "I have no idea what Death Stranding is but it has Kojima's name on it so I'm buying it" which feels foreign to me. I guess if a dev has a reputation for staying in their corner it works out to just following a genre but that's not the impression I get of Kojima (not having actually played any of his games so maybe I'm way off)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

He makes good and interesting games that appeal to my tastes. Genre doesn't really come into it, not sure why it would.

I just meant that from my perspective, if I like one thing someone makes, all that really tells me is that the venn diagram of "things they like to make" and "things I enjoy" has some overlap. If they go off and do something else, unless they show it off as being similar to the previous thing (this is where genre comes in, "this thing is similar to these other older things" is practically the definition of genre), I have basically no guarantee that the new thing will remain in the overlap of that venn diagram. I guess once you've stuck with them enough through multiple genre shifts you can come closer and closer to expecting that venn diagram to be just a circle, but the first few genre shifts will be pretty dicey in terms of whether it actually will fall in the overlap.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Dungeon Crawl, a game most people have never heard of nor will ever care about

It was a community developed game but the devs currently running it keep doing poo poo I hate and actively spite me when I try to talk to them so I don't even wanna touch it anymore. It feels weird and sad to play a game when you know the people making it would rather you didn't play it, or played it while saying nothing to them.

Did gooncrawl also take a nosedive or something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

beat darksouls2. was good, unlike ds1

bad take imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Over the past week or so I have learned that I have such an affinity for Atelier that I am enjoying the game in the series that literally everybody told me not to play and which sold so poorly the studio can't afford to pay for dubs in the translations anymore

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You try surviving for 40 seconds in a fight against goku

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Propaganda Hour posted:

The hype around Apex Legends is absolutely bonkers. Like 500,000 people were watching the inaugural tournament on Twitch Rivals and the game loving came out eight days ago.

The funniest part is that they basically knew heir game was a PR disaster and decided to release it without any hype cycle so that people could form their opinions by playing it instead of poopooing it for being a lootbox f2p BR from EA

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

They should be pissed that it's a lootbox F2P BR from EA though

I mean I'm not playing it because there isn't a word in that sentence I like, but, it's an insane marketing strategy and the fact that it worked is remarkable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Give me Mario Maker