Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe trillion dollar global investment corporations are bad in general.

Maybe capitalism is bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVddGSTjEd0&t=51s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wait poo poo how long has it been known that Bowie was a nonce, I can't keep up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

What's the current death toll from austerity?

Need it because some people are crowing that 'nobody will starve because of brexit' and they already loving are.

120k during the Coalition years, estimated a further 80k since. To put in perspective: one in every 350 people in Britain has been killed by Tory policy since 2010, and approximately one in every 30 deaths is a result of austerity. Austerity is the 7th most common cause of death in the UK, ahead of breast cancer and prostate cancer.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Jedit posted:

120k during the Coalition years, estimated a further 80k since. To put in perspective: one in every 350 people in Britain has been killed by Tory policy since 2010, and approximately one in every 30 deaths is a result of austerity. Austerity is the 7th most common cause of death in the UK, ahead of breast cancer and prostate cancer.

What's the source, and how have these figures been determined?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Illuyankas posted:

Ages.

Jimmy Page is also a nonce.

Kill ure heroes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Steven Tyler had a 15 year old girls parents give him guardianship over her so they could be in a relationship

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilGenius posted:

Government surplus death statistics, which is to say the number of deaths above the expected norm adjusted for weather. They're not all starvation - it includes deaths by suicide, "not suicide" and illness induced by poor life situation among others.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Media's always just been paid propaganda. At least this is being honest about it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How's Snowmageddon 2019 shaking out for you Bristol goons?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Media's always just been paid propaganda. At least this is being honest about it.
It's nice that they named themselves after the metonym for corruption and materialism in Rastafari, Methodist, and old Jewish lore.

"At least the paid thugs called themselves BastardCo" I say as I am kicked in the ribs repeatedly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rates are per 100k people. Curious how the rate changes between a tory and labour government

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Illuyankas posted:

Evidently he allegedly had sex with underage groupies in the 1970s, I find sources saying 15 year old girls. Statutory rape at a minimum.

Ugh.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

Rates are per 100k people. Curious how the rate changes between a tory and labour government

I can parse this, so better than 81 but worse than 2000

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
There's a new Novara show up with Matt Zarb-Cousin and some other guy talking a lot about Venezuela. I've just listened to the latest Popular Front with Giancarlo Fiorella and it's like Novara was trying to hit all the bad talking points covered by Fiorella. Lots of joking about the foreign man's funny name (Guaido, how wacky!) and how they haven't heard of him. I'm usually a fan of Novara but this was embarrassing

Another highlight: no deal brexit is a great opportunity for the left

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 1, 2019

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Leftism is great
Leftists are not

The left cannot fail, it can only be failed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I already said they're Lexiteers now. Weren't originally but have pivoted to "we must accept armageddon"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1090978978175877125

lol

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Lots of joking about the foreign man's funny name (Guaido, how wacky!)

How does that rhyme with a Bon Jovi song?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1091289698436333569

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Spain trolling Britain again

"The Guardian posted:

A straightforward change in EU law guaranteeing visa-free travel for Britons in Europe after Brexit has sparked a diplomatic row after Brussels described Gibraltar as “a colony of the British Crown” in its no-deal legislation.

The footnote containing the contentious description of the rock was attached to the EU’s regulation on the insistence of Spain, with whom the UK has been in dispute over Gibraltar for three centuries.

During a meeting on Friday morning with his EU counterparts, the UK’s ambassador in Brussels, Sir Tim Barrow, expressed Downing Street’s rejection of the description, officials disclosed.

“Gibraltar is not a colony and it is completely inappropriate to describe it in this way,” a UK government spokesman said. “Gibraltar is a full part of the UK family and has a mature and modern constitutional relationship with the UK. This will not change due to our exit from the EU. All parties should respect the people of Gibraltar’s democratic wish to be British.”

The Conservative MEP, Daniel Dalton, said: “Spain’s government likes to use Gibraltar as a political football. To read that EU officials have made the same mistake is at best insensitive, if not breathtakingly incompetent.”

Gibraltar was ceded in perpetuity by Spain to the British in the treaty of Utrecht, in 1713. It formally became a Crown colony in 1830 but its constitutional status was rejigged over the centuries as the British empire receded.

In 1983, as with all the former Crown colonies, Gibraltar became a dependent overseas territory only to be rebadged again as a British overseas territory in 2002.

It has its own parliament, with 17 representatives, but its head of state is the Queen, who is represented by the governor of Gibraltar, responsible to UK government for the rock’s defence, internal security, foreign policy and governance.

The row over the footnote has been bubbling for weeks. Spain initially wanted all the EU’s no-deal legislation – drafted in case the UK leaves on 29 March without ratifying the withdrawal agreement – to note that Gibraltar was disputed and on a UN list of “non-self-governing territories … subject to decolonisation”.

That move was blocked by France, as French Polynesia and New Caledonia are also on that list, and a new formulation of words was found to satisfy Madrid.

Despite the flare-up, the decision by the EU means UK citizens entering the EU’s Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180 days should be granted visa-free travel.

The EU warned, however, that British tourists would lose that right if the UK government imposed visa requirements at any time on any of its member states.

A statement said: “The government of the United Kingdom has stated that it does not intend to require a visa from EU citizens travelling to the UK for short stays.

“In the event that the United Kingdom introduces a visa requirement for nationals of at least one member state in the future, the existing reciprocity mechanism would apply and the three institutions and the member states would commit to act without delay in applying the mechanism.”

UKMT February: a full part of the UK family

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jose posted:

Steven Tyler had a 15 year old girls parents give him guardianship over her so they could be in a relationship
Are you not thinking of arch rock nonce Ted Nugent? I suppose it's possible they both did this but Nugent definitely did.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

arch rock nonce
Rock spider, surely.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Shambling revenant Ian Liddell-Grainger briefly emerges from his crypt to compare a county town to Aleppo

He's easily worth 100 points in the Michelin I-SPY Book of Deadbeat MPs

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

EvilGenius posted:

this study. it's basically derived from mortality rates/life expectency deviations from trend as cuts were introduced. unfortunately there is some weirdness around life expectency trends in the uk right now due to cohort effects, so i am a bit skeptical of the 120k (thought i haven't read it deeply enough to pronounce judgement)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Jose posted:

certainly though you can't eyeball a mortality rate chart, c'mon man

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Of course.

quote:

A straightforward change in EU law guaranteeing visa-free travel for Britons in Europe after Brexit has sparked a diplomatic row after Brussels described Gibraltar as “a colony of the British Crown” in its no-deal legislation.

The footnote containing the contentious description of the rock was attached to the EU’s regulation on the insistence of Spain, with whom the UK has been in dispute over Gibraltar for three centuries.

During a meeting on Friday morning with his EU counterparts, the UK’s ambassador in Brussels, Sir Tim Barrow, expressed Downing Street’s rejection of the description, officials disclosed.

“It is completely unacceptable to describe Gibraltar in this way,” the prime minster’s official spokesman said. “Gibraltar is a full part of the UK family and has a mature and modern constitutional relationship with the UK. This will not change due to our exit from the EU.”

The UK would resist any attempt to negotiate about the status of the territory even if the UK succeeds in reopening the withdrawal agreement treaty, the spokesman said.

The Conservative MEP, Daniel Dalton, said: “Spain’s government likes to use Gibraltar as a political football. To read that EU officials have made the same mistake is at best insensitive, if not breathtakingly incompetent.”

Gibraltar's back baby!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

coffeetable posted:

certainly though you can't eyeball a mortality rate chart, c'mon man

I was about to go to the gym and CBA to put more effort in than that

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Jose posted:

I was about to go to the gym and CBA to put more effort in than that

fair

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"its not a colony! its not a colony!!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a balkan state

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think people would be surprised just how much official statistics get published about Britain and sometimes the whole of the UK. NI usually does its own thing.

Child poverty statistics stopped getting updated after 2013 :thunk:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
RIP Jeremy Hardy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

NI usually does its own thing.
Or not, in the case of Stormont.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

So the ifo institute thinks that the only solution is a customs union for goods and free movement in Ireland.
Any backstop leads to the UK staying in the backstop.
Any timed backstop leads to the hardish Brexit in favour of the UK.

However, the ifo suggestion seems an compromise that asks a lot of compromising from the EU and less of the UK.
The UK retains trade control over services, which is basically the only thing that the UK produces, it further gets to have free choice on immigration, and no issues with imports of goods.
The EU doesn't lose the UK as an export market, but on the other hand, would have to accept the UK likely being a financial/banking harbor with combination to free-goods trade right at the gate of the EU. It would also have to give up on free movement, which makes it not unlikely that the EU will just break apart and die.

It's strange this suggestion comes from ifo, but I guess its gotta be financed mostly by German export business. I would personally never forgive any EU politican who goes for such an idiotic plan.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jose posted:

I think people would be surprised just how much official statistics get published about Britain and sometimes the whole of the UK. NI usually does its own thing.

Child poverty statistics stopped getting updated after 2013 :thunk:

That interview where IDS said child poverty was falling while a graph showed it going up.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

coffeetable posted:

this study. it's basically derived from mortality rates/life expectency deviations from trend as cuts were introduced. unfortunately there is some weirdness around life expectency trends in the uk right now due to cohort effects, so i am a bit skeptical of the 120k (thought i haven't read it deeply enough to pronounce judgement)

reading more, yeah i don't believe it. this is the key chart

which looks stunning. you get to 120k by extrapolating that gap out a bunch of years.

but then if you go look at life expectencies for france, germany, ireland, the US and discover they've all flatlined since 2011 too

no idea why. could be transnational austerity, could be all the mid-century smokers have finally died

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 1, 2019

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

For a hard Brexit, the projected impact on the EU, worst case, is like a 3% GDP drop for a year or two. It sucks, but we'll live. Impact for the UK seems to be much higher, catastrophic even. But for some reason, hard Brexit is a bargaining point for the UK?
And also, it seems the EU is caring mightily lot about the welfare of the UK citizens, risking the continutation of the EU in the future, even though there is rethoric of the most vicious kind against the EU, its politicans and its people in the UK every day.

Frankly, the EU should be done talking. UK can hard Brexit or cancel Brexit, preferably asap.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Jose posted:

Not really. There's a downward trend from 1981 until the early 2000s, then it stabilises.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

"its not a colony! its not a colony!!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a balkan state

who the gently caress is scraeming "DECOLONISE" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never decolonise

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

caps on caps on caps posted:

For a hard Brexit, the projected impact on the EU, worst case, is like a 3% GDP drop for a year or two. It sucks, but we'll live. Impact for the UK seems to be much higher, catastrophic even. But for some reason, hard Brexit is a bargaining point for the UK?
And also, it seems the EU is caring mightily lot about the welfare of the UK citizens, risking the continutation of the EU in the future, even though there is rethoric of the most vicious kind against the EU, its politicans and its people in the UK every day.

Frankly, the EU should be done talking. UK can hard Brexit or cancel Brexit, preferably asap.

it cannot be stated enough that Brexit is a loving delusional idea. You absolutely won't find a Brexiter who has a remotely sane understanding of the UK's place in the world.

poo poo, last year the EU tagged in with China and crushed the economies of a few Trump states because he tried to introduce tariffs on EU goods. They announced the targeted attack on trump-state-specific exports within a day. Brexiters genuinely believe that a government that hasn't even been close to functional in decades will deal with this by smiting the EU on a whim, and if you ask them how that's going to work the most common response I've heard is "germany buys our cars so we can destroy them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

caps on caps on caps posted:

But for some reason, hard Brexit is a bargaining point for the UK?

I think the phrase 'We will choke you with our dead' applies here.