Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys... Hey guys... I don't know how long this has been in place, but Amazon has free global express shipping from other countries, including Germany.

That means cheap Wera, Wiha, etc. as long as you have Prime and a credit card with no international transaction fee.

It HAS to be sold by amazon de and it HAS to show "Choose Amazon Global Priority Shipping at checkout. "

For example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000Y8Y31K is $33 delivered from Germany

and https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Univers...era+05056440001 is $43 + tax from Amazon US.
That's good to know, I've been snagging Wera stuff when it goes on sale but this'll empy my wallet quicker and possibly a little cheaper.

Another test day at the local kart in-progress track. Locost was great then I threw on the slicks and it was even better. Sadly I forgot the slicks lower it by over an inch and took out the oil pan loading it back on the trailer :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Wagon all the way. The best part about wagons is that you can use it like a truck, but when you don't, it's no longer a truck. Trucks are always trucks.

Someone snagged a shot of me Saturday on the way to the test track. Bump in the road makes it look a little worse than it is but I do need to replace the shocks pretty bad...they're original

Rhyno posted:

So back in late October we did a special order for one of our customers, 20 pounds of a very specialized alloy spun into very tight specifications. This morning our building manager came to our dept and told us it was used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing. And my code was on the finish pass of the spool so not only did I not gently caress it up but the material worked for the process.
That's awesome. It's rare for us to find out what real world impact the stuff run on our systems has most of the time. Some of the customers will clue us in if it's something interesting but for the most part we never know.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

~runs into thread frantically~
*huff huff wheeeeeeeze*
SORRY I'M LATE GUYS.

:golfclap:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Geoj posted:

Right out of high school I worked for two years in a lumber mill and didn't really take hearing protection seriously. Also used to go to a lot of live concerts with the same lack of concern.

Now I have mild tinnitus. Don't really notice it when there's any background noise above a whisper, but any time its quiet or I'm wearing earplugs or similar there's an unmistakable ringing in my ears.
:highfive: Tinnitus buddy. We do yearly hearing tests, mine has gotten worse in the ~10 years I've been working in HPC. Mild tinnitus at the moment and doing everything I can to slow it. Dad worked supercomputers for 38 years and had ringing for the past 10 at least. He's retired now but got really nice tinnitus specific hearing aids right before he retired. I wear ear plugs for everything now.

bolind posted:

I seem to remember there's a few AI goons who make a living working on HPC clusters/supercomputers (the spyder comes to mind?) - would you mind raising your hands/PMing me, I have a few questions.
Sending

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I should get my DK2 back from my brother. Racing games are fantastic when you can turn your head.

I upgraded the video card in my sim rig now I really want to go VR for iracing

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The crazier thing is that just the other week an EIGHT mile GNX sold for $200K. Who are these rich dudes who no doubt had mullets were buying these up and mothballing them?

It's collectors and speculators buying them as investments, that car will show up again in 5-10 years for twice what they paid. Can't remember exactly who bought that one buy there's a few buyers on BaT like that.

Always a chance it's someone who just made it big and finally could afford their dream car but it's getting more and more uncommon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

slidebite posted:

So I had something really strange happen with my cell, a Moto G5S+. it's been a good phone and I've not had any issues, but for some reason one of all my texts with a contact of mine is gone. A text with tons of photos, info, etc, it's just gone. I guess it's possible I deleted the thread by accident, but I really don't think so.

I do know my phone did some pretty major updates a couple days ago so my guess is it might have something to do with that.

Is there anyway to recover something like this? A search for it turns up shady as hell looking websites that just want you to install their software and it'll do everything.. including probably malware the gently caress out of your computer.

This won't help you get it back but will help in the future, I use SMSbackup. Have it set to run every night at 1am if the phone is on the charger. It backs up SMS to your gmail account in a SMS folder. I actually really handy to be able to search through text messages and it saves the photos as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Dad decided to drive his Tesla 3 to Key Largo this week for some scuba diving before he meets us in Pensacola. I've been tracking his progress and he's been giving me updates but I woke up this morning to one I didn't expect. Here's the message he sent to the family snapchat group.

Dad posted:

Life is a series of experiments. Driving the Tesla to Key Largo to learn how cross country electric car travel works proved that with today’s batteries and charging infrastructure, it’s not ready for prime time. I averaged 36 miles per hours from Milwaukee to Merrillville Indiana on Monday and 43 mph on Tuesday from Merrillville to Chattanooga. It could be because I wanted a 20% buffer on battery range and that made charging times longer. But I ended up parking the Tesla in Chattanooga Airport parking and renting a gas car. Average over the 840 remaining miles to Key Large was 60 mph. And no stressing over where the next supercharger was.

Kind of surprising but I can't blame him. A trip he usually does in two days at around 1800 miles ended up bring three long days with a decent amount more miles and a lot of sitting around waiting. He left at 5am Monday morning and arrived ~11pm Wednesday night. Cold weather at the start of his trip, -7f when he left, cut his initial range around 30% which didn't help things either. It'll be interesting to see what his thoughts on the car is now after this experiment.