Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We managed to get some good mileage out of our Italian lecturer's pronunciation of "gurney flaps" as "girlie flaps".

fridge corn posted:

We had an F50 come in today. I can't make my mind up about it but I think it might be ugly
It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Christ, AA, that skatepark stuff is loving awful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Looks like they want us to do nights as a regular thing 1 week in 4 now, sucks balls because I can't get any real work done and I hate it. I spent this evening installing blackout blinds behind the curtains because it's the only chance I've got of sleeping through.
gently caress's sake. Changing up shifts like that always sucks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Not to be smug or nothing but I told you all Dave was a real piece poo poo way back when he was still struggling to hold down a job at Firestone
Corn. Corn never changes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some people you just can't tell what's under everything else. Used to work with a really nice guy, very helpful, everyone liked him, sad to see him leave when he did etc... and then he was banged up for multiple historical incidents involving underage girls.

We were all pretty :staredog: about that one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Don't forget to make use of whatever tax relief is available in your locality to increase how much the charity get for your donation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, assistance of :911: colonials required. Parents are visiting South Carolina, Georgia and Florida in a few months, probably staying a few weeks, and want to sort out what to do for being online. Way I see it, they could either get a pre-paid SIM of some kind (my mum has an iPhone that's not network locked), or some kind of portable wifi dongle - the latter having the advantage that they can connect their iPads to it as well.

Doesn't need to be massively heavy duty on bandwidth, they're not going to be sat watching HD video 24/7 or anything.

Any recommendations for what their best option is?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Midjack posted:

One of these from Best Buy or a Verizon store had worked well for me.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-ellipsis-jetpack-4g-lte-prepaid-mobile-hotspot/5971800.p?skuId=5971800

I think all the big providers in the US have prepaid hotspots that are pretty much identical.

slidebite posted:

Before my :canada: cell provider had semi-decent :911: roaming packages, I'd just go to a US Walmart and get a basic prepaid phone/sim from Straight-talk or something like that. They have voice/data packages that aren't bad.
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans
Thanks guys, will pass that along.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I'm guessing it started with mong. Used to be one of my favorites but then I found out 1. It was originally a term for down's syndrome and 2. It's now a rather racist term for Asian people. So yeah, had to knock that poo poo off.
Americans used to use the term "spazz" a lot more, which had already become regarded as a poor choice here, seems to have died off over the last ten years or so.

I honestly find the "retarded is offensive whike other similar terms are not" thing really quite silly, but that's probably because it's not got the relatively recent history of common use in the actual medical lexicon here, so the connotations of it directly relating to commenting on someone with a real problem are somewhat more removed than I imagine they are in the states.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Funny question since I can't find you on Facebook - say you're looking to buy equipment, and the options are:
400vac 3ph Delta, but needs an external floor or wall mount transformer
400vac 3ph wye
230vac 1ph

Voltamp rating is the same all 3 ways.

I've got no idea how prevalent 3 phase wye service is overseas - it's common here. Trying to design a Euro power option for a machine at work and can't get a straight answer as to which of these options would have the biggest market share.
Well, it depends on what the target market is. Industrial equipment going in proper factories and workshops is going to be 3-phase, whereas stuff that's meant for lighter use is probably going to run on 1ph as non-dedicated industrial properties may not have 3ph.

I'm afraid I'm rather out of my depth on this subject, as I'm very much not an electrician, and have limited involvement in machinery purchase/outfitting at our site.

I can ask some people at work next week, but Cakesmith Handyman might have more experience in this area.

I think that assuming your Delta is the same as I understand 3ph Delta, then WYE is called Star wiring (the 4 wire one that has a neutral). Which is "right" for a given application, I don't know.

Plus there are some "gently caress off, we're doing it this way" aspects to the precedents of UK wiring, so for "Europe" advice, I don't know where we sit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
£1k isn't full-on cheap cheap for an SW20 here, it could be worth nowhere near that if it's a snotter.

Spec sounds like a G-Limited to me, but I don't know enough about the specifics of the SW20 to say much about them. If you know the exact model and year, it may help people give targeted advice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

there are some super-sensitive people out there just ready to pounce on any perceived slur.
The best approach is to not adjust correct language use to ease the passage of stupidity, while not deliberately using language with the intent to pushing people's buttons (see: 99% of people using the word niggardly).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wesleywillis posted:

should I just sterilize myself
If you're female, can we then call a spayed a spayed?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Speaking of racist call-outs why hasn't anyone called out Jig-a-loo yet? It's literally one letter different from an old racist phrase for black people.
Jig-A-Loo sounds like some kind of template device for plumbers to properly align soil pipes. I don't think I've ever heard that one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I quite like Ed, he strikes me as a bit of an Arthur Daley, but I'm fine with that. I'm not sure what level his technical knowledge is, but fair play to him, he seems to do alright.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is why you wear helmets, but these days wearing helmets and pads apparently makes you a pussy and uncool.
It's always been thus.

My response was always that if they didn't feel the need for a helmet, they clearly weren't trying very hard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's literally a macho bullshit thing
That's why I used a response that deliberately pushes those buttons with them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Apparently Lidl's £13.49 whisky won an award as "world's best scotch". Have bought a bottle to investigate...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Please share the results of your investigation
Sadly we don't have a Lidl locally. There was one a few years back but it went bust somehow
Just tried some over ice. Not bad, taste is mild with a little sweetness to it, pretty smooth texture. I'd say it's perfectly inoffensive, something you can give to anyone who likes Scotch and it'll go down reasonably well with them. However, my preference remains for something with either a good bit of smoke to it (JW Double Black is my usual "best value" option thanks to Costco's brilliant pricing on it), or something American like Blanton's.

It's certainly great value at the price, I'd happily say gently caress it, grab a bottle and give it a crack. I'm not sure I'd slap any award ribbons on it, but it feels like a situation where it's good because everyone will go "actually, that's not bad".

Rhyno posted:

I don't get it. We are, as a breed not the most attractive of folks.
Yeah, but relative to your customers...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I've sent it to the Missus and her coworkers who redo multimillion dollar houses. I'm excited for professional feedback
I'll take "I've seen worse from contractors" for :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slothrop posted:

Clearly you've done the right thing and tasted it and decided for yourself, but for your future reference this is pure marketing BS.

The whisky will have certainly won an award, most likely paid for in some way. It will not have been judged "best in the world" but more likely won a gold medal (alongside 50 other whiskies also deemed worthy of "gold". Whatever that means) Best case scenario it will have won "best in category", possibly in an astonishingly narrow category. Lidl's marketing team will have then twisted the concept to relate to consumers that their whisky has won "best scotch in the world*" hoping that you'll go drop your hard earned £13.49 on a bottle to see what all the fuss is about.

Awards for whiskies and other alcoholic products are handed out like candy at Halloween, usually to those that pay for them. It's a lovely part of the industry and I hate it.
Pretty much my natural expectation, but when it's Bell's money, it's worth a pop.

I think the specific category will likely be blended scotch between X and Y years old.

Tbh it's nice enough, but relative to the price it's much better than I expected. I've had stuff that costs more for a bottle than I gross per week and thought "well, it's OK, I guess", and I really don't see the fuss in a lot of expensive whisky - I brought back a few ones I liked from Japan, but that was at local prices, they're not really worth the 4x price hike people seem to ask for them here.

Marketing guff or not, though, it's very good for the price point.