Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

February goal is to habituate budgeting so I can save for some upcoming purchases. YNAB is awesome and I'm also listening to some podcasts. Any advice?

Also SOMEONE BUY MY AMG THANKS!

I don't think others around here think too highly but Dave Ramsey will do a couple things when you listen:
Whip your butt into shape (financially)
Make you realize that there are people in far worse circumstances
Give you hope and a plan.

I used to listen to him a TON and learned good habits to follow. Regularly listening kept me motivated. This July will mark seven years since I have been (consumer) debt free. The only thing I owe this world is my house payment, which is modest at my current income level. My wife and I didn't have any credit card debt (and actually never have), she had some student loan debt; pretty modest after getting her undergrad. I think it was about $8K? We both had car debt, but pretty reasonable. We made a few dumb choices early in our marriage (one dumb car choice, one buying a condo dumb choice). We have gotten better at not making dumb choices, and if we do we just pay in cash :v:

There are so many pixels in this gif it is hypnotizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I hadn't thought to check! Looks like a big nope on that.

Edit: Truck hunt weekend has been a total bust. I've been looking exclusively at "small" trucks but I' about to widen my search to older full size trucks like an F-150 or something as those are fuckin everywhere.

A mid 90’s Lightning would fit the bill perfectly. Particularly one with rad decals on the side.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I watched precisely zero minutes of professional football. That includes today.

NBA is the best league and it isn’t even close.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The most soul crushing rental I ever got was a Nissan Versa. The thing felt like it was made out of recycled water bottles and was slow as balls. The only thing to its credit was absolutely pounding the balls off the thing in "city" conditions it just sipped fuel and returned like high 30s or 40 MPG. After a few days with it I think I only put like $15 worth of gas to fill it back up again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ferremit posted:

I think the US Verse only got the 1.6L and automatic- my missus has a 07 Tiida (Versa) and that’s got the 1.8L twin cam and the 6 speed manual and that’s a hoot to flog around in. It’s got enough power to get out it’s own way and the six speed is really nice to row.

I wish it was an auto...it is a CVT :negative:

For photo backup any sucker with Prime has u n l i m i t e d photo storage. You can also include RAW files in that storage.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone? Anybody keeping up with their resolutions?

Didn't really make any resolutions but did make a goal. That goal is to buy/import a kei car (a Jimny) and I am bordering obsessively checking the auctions all the time. It is getting old so the first good one that pops up I will literally fight anyone who tries to outbid me for it.

This is Kakers fault and I thank him for it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Next week I'll get a taste of the Delica life and will probably go "why do people like these so much" OR "wow Delicas are rad" and tell everyone that doesn't want to hear it how great they are

Pic of Kaker two weeks from now

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I suppose this is a good time to repost my dad's restored 1967 (iirc):

:circlefap: that’s very handsome.

So today was my birthday :toot: can’t complain about much. Wife met me after work and we went to top golf, came home snd had dinner. Then grabbed the kids from the neighbors house that we swap with for free babysitting to eat cinnamon rolls. I know you’re supposed to eat cake for birthdays but it’s like number four on desserts I want to eat :shrug:

Officially entreating mid-30’s is weird and good. Life is in a good place. Far better than I could have imagined. Me ten or fifteen years ago wouldn’t have believed this is how things would work out. So many good people in my life, including random internet people on a dead comedy sub forum about cars. You’re all good people.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Just got jostled out of bed by a fairly decent earthquake. It’s 5:00 in the morning. A little aftershock just happened ten minutes after.

Guess who’s brain isn’t going to let him fall back asleep!!!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Ummm.... you?

Yes. Holy balls that is such an unsettling experience.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Seismic reporting shows my city was the epicenter. It was a 3.3 with decent duration followed by a small 3.8.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That red dot is not a half mile from my house as the crow flies :stonk:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

T-Square posted:

Do you guys remember Genesis Coupe guy that splashed people driving through puddles?

I wonder whatever happened to him :thunk:

Didn't he once go to jump his car and hooked up the cables backwards?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Mildly entertaining the idea of selling the Flex and getting a late 100 series or pre facelift 200 series Land Cruiser for the family wagon. Mrs Heroic didn’t nix the idea immediately.

Good idea or GREATTM idea? What thread here would I venture in to learn more?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Does this mean the forums have peaked and there is no way to go but down? :ohdear:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

snip

At least the 200 has the turks to get out of its own way on 285/70/17 KO2s.

Is there a place where you have posted more about your Cruiser misadventures? I literally posted last page about thinking of getting a late 100/pre facelift 200 as our family hauler and dumping the Flex. The Land Cruiser is such a cool platform and I must have one at some point in my automotive life.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

Toyota turk info

This is totally what I was after! Thanks for the effort post. Definitely want an actual Land Cruiser, more than 4Runner/Prado/GX base. My original plans of importing a sweet RHD Jimny are starting to subside because it just isn't happening soon enough :argh: which has led my eyes to start wandering. Our Flex has been good, we have had it for three years and about 32K miles. It is still a good car but there has been a few small dumb things that have bugged me, most recent being the car marking is spot in the garage with a small oil leak (62k miles, 6 years and only ever being serviced with full synthetic :psyduck:). That will be covered under the CPO powertrain warranty at least. The value has taken an absolute meteoric dump in such a short time. I started to think just buy a fricken Land Cruiser because it will outlast my children, and will hold value better and having something off roady will satisfy some itch I have never scratched. I have one of two scenarios I am playing out:

Sell the Flex, add some cash and get a pre-facelift 200 series and use that as the family hauler (budgeting ~$25-30K)

Look for a cleaner 100 series and rehab a little, expedition outfit it a little bit and use that as my winter/daily/truck type thing to replace the beater Mazda6 that is boring me to death. Budgeting ~10-12K. Keep the Flex and drive it into the ground?

After watching Hoovie's YouTube on his 350K mile LX470 is really inspiring me to do something similar. Seeing as getting one as a "beater" type car it will only see ~4-5K miles a year being swapped out for the M3 for most summer days.

Rhyno posted:

Also it's my birthday so everyone stop doing that as a gift.

:toot: February birthdays are for lovers :hf:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

The use of the words "retard" and "retarded" on this here Something Awful forums are no-nos per admin decree, gentlegoons.

Agreed. The timing of the word is pretty played out. We’re much more advanced than that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Wide awake thanks to the most recent earthquake. It was a 3.1. These have all been happening within a half mile of my house.

Since I last posted about those two there have been over 100 measurable seismic events. In like a week. Some are small and can’t be felt but :allbuttons:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Are you up in Alaska? Maybe it's about to migrate :haw:

Salt Lake. It’s where we’ve been told our entire life that there would be ‘a big one’ and it could happen today or six hundred years from now. Salt Lake is along the Wasatch Fault line.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I think that what the pimp of meats is basically saying if you buy cheap retrofit LED lights from eBay and Amazon you can expect them to fail like others. If you replace halogens with an LED do it with a name brand product made for a specific application.

Hey Rhyno, are you still searching out Grand Nationals? I found a good one without any rust that should fit your criteria: Grand National

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

This is one of those times when I wish I had gently caress-you money, so I could buy that and then drive the wheels off of it. I hate automotive "investments."

The crazier thing is that just the other week an EIGHT mile GNX sold for $200K. Who are these rich dudes who no doubt had mullets were buying these up and mothballing them?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I like Ed. He typically has good stories and seems pretty educated on what he is talking about. The guests are for the most part good. VinWiki is good YT. Would watch again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

As a white man in his mid-30’s and preparing to become Middle Aged white man I have verbally agreed to the purchase of a Lexus.

Is this how it begins? Being excited about driving appliances? First thing, literally is I will drive it and park it until I get the timing belt and water pump to take to a mechanic. It has the original and is at 188k miles :staredog:

its a ‘99 LX 470 so a 100 series land cruiser that I’m going to rip apart and make an off roader

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not really the timing belt you need to worry about as original Lexus belts are known to hold up way beyond the suggested service (interval for that motor should be 90k). It's usually the water pump that goes so keep an eye out for leaking.

Unless you know for sure the maintenance history, you can always register the VIN on the Lexus drivers website and it will show whenever it was at a Lexus dealer, like every single visit.

Yeah I’m going with an Aisin timing belt kit. It has the water pump and gaskets, etc I believe it has the cam seals as well which is a ‘while you’re in there’.
I registered for the Lexus drivers thing after seeing some goons (perhaps you?) post about it. I’ve been using it to check any and all LX’s I’ve been looking at.

The dude was fastidious about maintenance. He has the full service manual, and was thrilled to talk about how he always changed every fluid himself with full synthetic at every interval. I believe it too. It’s incredibly clean. He’s had it for 10+ years. When I first saw it I complimented how good it looked for 20 years old. He placed both hands on the hood and said ‘this has been my baby’.
I asked how he felt about me making it an off roader. He said he was okay with that. :laffo: I’ll post hastily taken phone photos tomorrow.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Lexus owns, and LXs are the King of Lexus imho. I uh, am real confused why the dude didn't change the belt though if it was his baby.

I am pretty hyped for it. This also means my dreams of driving a Jimny will be kicked down the road. Sorry RHD Nippon boys. He seems the guy that was insistent on maintaining it himself but was more like "Opening the engine that works doesn't make sense to me" :shrug: Also something about only freeway miles where it barely turns over 2500 rpm just wasn't a big deal for him lol.

meatpimp posted:

So I got a facebook friend request from a girlfriend from 25 years ago. She proceeded to effortpost this 3 page confession of all the bad things she did to me and to all her subsequent relationships over the last 20+ years. My wife asked how I was going to respond and after thinking about it, I really, really, really want to just drop a lolwut.

"New Facebook, who dis?" She will probably ask you to join her downline for these great new oils and blender shake supplements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

the guy who got summarily mocked in his DIY thread for sawing up his structural floor joists to sink his bathtub has finally completed his masterpiece. it is. something.

Oh bless you. That takes a lot of courage to post it on the internet again.