Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

What is Mark Cuban trying to summon from the Yakubian Portal??

Jimmer Freddette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why will no one play Staps at 5

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spacebump posted:

Can we get Lonzo on the Mavs now? I would like more crazy trade deadline stuff happen involving the Mavs.

Ah yes, cause that's what the Mavs need. Another player that brings headaches and drama with him.:hmmyes:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Don't they not have cap space now?

If they could somehow put a decent package together, they could acquire him now and re-sign him using bird rights (which I'm assuming he still has).

Though that would be dependent on the Magic 1) giving up this year, and 2) being cool with a package of, like, Jalen Brunson + Dwight Powell + whatever picks the Mavs even have left.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Cuban and LaVar would either become best friends or enemies. It would be fantastic to watch. Also, Lonzo would be a good fit with Luka.

https://twitter.com/MaxiKleber/status/1091431804488171520
lol

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

C'est ma fête et je vais pleurer si je veux. Pleure si je veux. Pleure si je veux.

Vous pleureriez aussi, si cela vous arrivait. - bah dah dah dum bump!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

because he says playing center is too difficult

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

i really hope davis is telling the truth and rich went rogue

e: wonder why okc is opening up a roster spot

Maybe Roberson is fit

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What is it with so many big men that don't like playing center?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
HELL YEAH BABY

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1091457442343354369

DIALLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Away all Goats posted:

Because traditionally centers hang out mostly around the basket and they've all grown up wanting to handle the ball and shoot threes.

KG used to list himself as like 3 inches shorter than he actually was because he was because he was afraid that if he was 7 feet tall he'd have to play center and be expected to play like Shaq

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/471512950013194240?s=20

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Who the gently caress is Tingis Pingus

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Away all Goats posted:

Dont want to get owned by Embiid

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Metapod posted:

HELL YEAH BABY

All Hornets draft picks dunk contest

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Away all Goats posted:

Nobody likes playing defense

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Metapod posted:

HELL YEAH BABY

this dudes name always fucks me up whenever I watch OKC because I have to think about
Amadou Diallo and more specifically the billy woods line "I can't call it, Amadou Diallo why I don't carry a wallet"

thanks for listening.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Dexo posted:

Jimmer Freddette

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So why is Kyrie's contract blocking AD from going to Boston?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rose Rule

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

I mean most of his value is in spreading the floor as a Stretch 4 guy, and you probably don't want to waste him under the basket.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

I mean most of his value is in spreading the floor as a Stretch 4 guy, and you probably don't want to waste him under the basket.

There is nothing in the rules preventing a center from shooting threes too. He can play the same way offensively while also filling the more traditional center role on the defense. That's like the most valuable thing about him

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

iospace posted:

So why is Kyrie's contract blocking AD from going to Boston?

Kyrie was a Rose Rule guy and there are limits on how many of those guys you can have on your team at once. July 1st Kyrie isn't a Rose Rule guy anymore, even if he stays in Boston.

Edit: Actually not Rose Rule, Designated Rookie Extension. You can have 2 of those guys but you can only acquire 1 by trade.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 2, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lockback posted:

Kyrie was a Rose Rule guy and there are limits on how many of those guys you can have on your team at once. July 1st Kyrie isn't a Rose Rule guy anymore, even if he stays in Boston.

So what is the rose rule?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

iospace posted:

So what is the rose rule?

I did an edit, but the Rose rule allows teams to offer their RFAs coming off rookie contracts bigger contracts if they meet certain criteria. I think Kyrie was actually just a Designated Rookie, which lets teams give slightly bigger contracts but don't have any requirements.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Libertine posted:

Stretch 5 is even more valuable though. He is an excellent rim protector, one of the best in the league when healthy, but he is not the most mobile chasing 4s around the perimeter. He can do it in a pinch, but it's not using him the best way. If you decide to play him as a stretch 4 offensively that means you need a traditional 5, but where is this center going to play on defence?

The Mavs already have Kleber who would be an interesting and possibly very good fit at the 4 next to KP at the 5.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
When a player was eligible for his rookie extension, teams were allowed to offer the player up to 30% of the salary cap for a single season as the max contract if the player had been voted an All-Star starter twice, made an All-NBA team once or wins Defensive Player of the Year in the season preceding the first season on the extension or in any two of the three seasons preceding the extension, or if the player wins MVP in any of the three seasons preceding the extension.

Teams are allowed to have two Designated Rookie Scale Players at a time, but they are only allowed to acquire one of them by trade. Kyrie was aquired by trade.

Kyrie and AD are both on the "Designated Player Rookie Scale" extensions.

Celtics can resign Kyrie July 1st and then get Davis. Or Trade Kyrie away and get Davis. But not both.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Stretch 5 is even more valuable though. He is an excellent rim protector, one of the best in the league when healthy, but he is not the most mobile chasing 4s around the perimeter. He can do it in a pinch, but it's not using him the best way. If you decide to play him as a stretch 4 offensively that means you need a traditional 5, but where is this center going to play on defence?

The Mavs already have Kleber who would be an interesting and possibly very good fit at the 4 next to KP at the 5.

I think Kleber fits well as a match but to answer both you and MV the problem is finding a player (or multiple players) who matches the inverse of KP to pair with such a guy in the lineup. I think guys who wants to sit under the basket and offensive rebound while chasing wings around is an even shorter list.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, isn't Harrison Barnes a really good PF to play with Porzingis?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Libertine posted:

I think Kleber fits well as a match but to answer both you and MV the problem is finding a player (or multiple players) who matches the inverse of KP to pair with such a guy in the lineup. I think guys who wants to sit under the basket and offensive rebound while chasing wings around is an even shorter list.

what’s tristan thompson up to

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lockback posted:

I mean, isn't Harrison Barnes a really good PF to play with Porzingis?

no, what? why would you do that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid player of the month

Hot drat

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Athanatos posted:

When a player was eligible for his rookie extension, teams were allowed to offer the player up to 30% of the salary cap for a single season as the max contract if the player had been voted an All-Star starter twice, made an All-NBA team once or wins Defensive Player of the Year in the season preceding the first season on the extension or in any two of the three seasons preceding the extension, or if the player wins MVP in any of the three seasons preceding the extension.

Teams are allowed to have two Designated Rookie Scale Players at a time, but they are only allowed to acquire one of them by trade. Kyrie was aquired by trade.

Kyrie and AD are both on the "Designated Player Rookie Scale" extensions.

Celtics can resign Kyrie July 1st and then get Davis. Or Trade Kyrie away and get Davis. But not both.

I think at this moment, the pelicans would rather get complimentary pieces to go with with Jrue. Jrue just signed, he is pretty good. They are just about to get out from under a few bad contracts. Why wouldn't you want players who might replace Davis and get picks. Not replace Davis as a generational player, just at a position? This can change, but right now all the people on this board want them to go full rebuild. I wouldn't, why would a gm in the NBA do this?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Libertine posted:

Or, take the modern approach and don't play with a designated 'sit under the basket and rebound' player at all. The Bucks don't and are leading the league in point differential - Brook Lopez is taking 68.9% of his shots from three this season, but still plays 5 on defence. The offense uses motion where sometimes it's Brook in the paint, sometimes Giannis, sometimes Middleton or even Brogdon, a lot of the times it's no-one and its 5 out with screens and ball movement trying to get a mismatch on a switch.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
lmao
https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1091487207876104196

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmfao LET THEM KNOW PAPA BROW

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
KP absolutely needed a stretch four to pair with him which made the Noah signing an even bigger head scratcher than it already was. He also needed an active rebounder which is what made Willy Hernangomez such a good pairing.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Or, take the modern approach and don't play with a designated 'sit under the basket and rebound' player at all. The Bucks don't and are leading the league in point differential - Brook Lopez is taking 68.9% of his shots from three this season, but still plays 5 on defence. The offense uses motion where sometimes it's Brook in the paint, sometimes Giannis, sometimes Middleton or even Brogdon, a lot of the times it's no-one and its 5 out with screens and ball movement trying to get a mismatch on a switch.

I feel like that strategy works because of Milwaukee’s specific personnel (most specifically the uniqueness of Giannis) not because it’s a universally good idea. It would totally work with KP in a version of the Lopez role, Mavs would just probably need way different supporting cast around it to pull it off. I’m interested to see what they do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shouts to Ant Davis Sr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

no, what? why would you do that

Harrison Barnes was really good playing alongside Draymond as the "mobile" big, chasing 4s and wings around and being able to switch on everything. Let Zing defend the paint.