Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

please help me understand which linux distro belongs to each circle of computer hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s no coincidence that linux is full of demons. and systemd, the demon that rules them all, is none other than beelzebub himself

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Soricidus posted:

it’s no coincidence that linux is full of demons. and systemd, the demon that rules them all, is none other than beelzebub himself

ahem those of us in the industry just refer to him as b8b

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Sweevo posted:

computer hell is linux, and nobody can heard you scream.

the sound drivers are broken

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

seems like an awful place to work but a good place to torture computer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

seems like an awful place to work but a good place to torture computer

needs some ssds in there

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Finding the most perfect computer ever built, and then finding it only runs Outpost.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

computer hell is a lotus notes database

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Where do bad PCs go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the toasters fly

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

cat hair and cigarette smoke clogged P4 era Vaio laptop with a wobbly power adapter and missing P and W keys, boot looping into spyware/virus bluescreens. the cd drive does not work. there is gum in the mini firewire port. do not tilt the screen back past vertical, because the hinges have no friction left

supermarket-purchased Celeron set up in the corner of the dining room in one of those workstation/cupboards old people always put computers in. it's impossible to sit in front of without banging your knees on the printer shelf that contains an ancient Epson inkjet and its dried up re-re-re-refilled knockoff cartridges. booting takes 15 minutes and reveals a completely unpatched XP with 85 icons on the desktop, including AOL and Compuserve free trials, broken shortcuts to things deleted a decade ago, and numerous obviously_a_virus.exe files.

attempting to make even minor fixes instantly summons the owner, who flies into a banshee-like rage about how "the internet is missing" (the IE6 icon is one place higher than it used to be) and condemns you to an eternity of tech support because "you were the last person to mess with it!"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

lmao my very first job used lotus notes

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Sweevo posted:

supermarket-purchased Celeron set up in the corner of the dining room in one of those workstation/cupboards old people always put computers in. it's impossible to sit in front of without banging your knees on the printer shelf that contains an ancient Epson inkjet and its dried up re-re-re-refilled knockoff cartridges. booting takes 15 minutes and reveals a completely unpatched XP with 85 icons on the desktop, including AOL and Compuserve free trials, broken shortcuts to things deleted a decade ago, and numerous obviously_a_virus.exe files.

attempting to make even minor fixes instantly summons the owner, who flies into a banshee-like rage about how "the internet is missing" (the IE6 icon is one place higher than it used to be) and condemns you to an eternity of tech support because "you were the last person to mess with it!"

Don't forget that the entire "desk" is covered in empty CD jewel cases and bills from 2003

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm so glad the ipad murdered teh grandma computer market
seriously my old shop shut down 6mo after the first ipad came out because everybody just got that for gram instead of dealing with a THIS COMPUTER IS NEVER OBSOLETE emachines repair

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jonny 290 posted:

ahem those of us in the industry just refer to him as b8b

b7b or am I missing something

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

lmao my very first job used lotus notes

i still have this for some reason

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I remember some lotus related login screen that showed random hieroglyphics instead exes or stars when you typed your password.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

that's what the keyring icon is. it changes as you type so if you see the keyring in my case you're reasonable sure that you typed your pw correctly.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ciaphas posted:

excuse me it's now ibm notes, social edition by hcl

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

posting in the computer hell

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

maniacdevnull posted:

posting in the computer hell

well it is now!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

lotus notes was more good than bad

come at me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i played a bunch of lotus notes turbo challenge on the amiga

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
probably more popular than lotus notes:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Sophos encryption

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
work's full-custom repo management/build system combo tool

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Silver Alicorn posted:

where do bad computers go when they die? do they get tortured and mutilated? frozen in ice up to their CD trays? overcloxked and made to mine bitcoins? smashed by large hammers only to be reconstituted and smashed again? do they get operating systems installed without the recommended RAM? all cores disabled but one? submerged in mineral oil? installed in a datacenter with no AC? turned into thin clients? fans gunked up? wrong kind of RAM? Beowulf cluster rendering pictures of serial killers?

do bad computers get punished

You know nothing. Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lotus notes was more good than bad

come at me

it's user hostile garbage

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
computer hell is other posters, op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Where do bad PCs go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the toasters fly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

it's user hostile garbage

don't sign your loving posts

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you? no thanks.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

you? no thanks.

you know you want it

that is to say, lotus notes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

god i thought i'd repressed the memories of developing in that dogshit application

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
more like lotus nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I worked for a regional telco that had bought a local telco, fired all the IT, then hired me and a couple other techs to try to make it into a functional area office.

They used Lotus Notes for *everything*: asset tracking, ticketing, ERP, even (get this!) email :stare:.

Whole thing stank of “when all you have is a hammer all you see are nails” only a hammer can actually be useful at driving nails.

Also, there is nothing more desolate and lonely to see than a 85% empty floor with all the remaining cubicles clustered together like a Minnesota prairie town in midwinter as the wolves circle in ever-closer.

loving hell, that was a :smithicide: of a place.

E: they also made me go to Evanston Indiana in midsummer.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 22, 2019