Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody tell him about Shenmue 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Lock Knight posted:

Nobody tell him about Shenmue 3.

Did he even get to play Shenmue 2?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KirbyKhan posted:

Uncle, when asked what happened to his highschool and middle school friends

do not at me like this

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Ugh. I've been sick so browsing mangadex to pass the time and found a manga that looked decent (The Black Summoner). At the end of chapter 1 he sees a slave auction and all the joy of being a new world seems to get sucked out of him. Then in chapter 5 he suddenly yells out he wants a female slave then buys one. Wat

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kyoujin posted:

Ugh. I've been sick so browsing mangadex to pass the time and found a manga that looked decent (The Black Summoner). At the end of chapter 1 he sees a slave auction and all the joy of being a new world seems to get sucked out of him. Then in chapter 5 he suddenly yells out he wants a female slave then buys one. Wat

Don't worry, you're not missing out on much. The only real unique gimmick to that one is that, despite being a summoner, he's a battle maniac and always trying to brawl with people.

Oh wait there was one other unique thing (spoiled in case anyone else starts the series): eventually he gets so good at summoning that he summons a girl from earth to join his team.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Don't worry, you're not missing out on much.

Yeah, not surprised. https://mangadex.org/title/ee4bf782-9fe9-42a6-be7f-3809293818c2/hell-mode-yarikomi-suki-no-gamer-wa-hai-settei-no-isekai-de-musou-suru is a pretty decent and so far wholesome summoner story instead. Would work better if the characters were all 5-10 years older but so would many stories.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah, not surprised. https://mangadex.org/title/ee4bf782-9fe9-42a6-be7f-3809293818c2/hell-mode-yarikomi-suki-no-gamer-wa-hai-settei-no-isekai-de-musou-suru is a pretty decent and so far wholesome summoner story instead. Would work better if the characters were all 5-10 years older but so would many stories.

1) That is definitely a good one (I need to catch up)
2) Agreed on the 5-10 years old part. I've gotten really burned out precocious 6-10 year old MCs, even more than the usual crop of 14-16 year olds.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In related news, the actually good hell-mode isekai has updated:

https://mangadex.org/title/21b848be-1bfe-4f97-b92c-62d319d8a093/onee-sama-to-watashi-ojou-sama-ga-isekai-tensei

And the people of the world are revealed to have perfectly well thought out reactions to horny isekai dudes dropping into the world.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/21b848be-1bfe-4f97-b92c-62d319d8a093/onee-sama-to-watashi-ojou-sama-ga-isekai-tensei

And the people of the world are revealed to have perfectly well thought out reactions to horny isekai dudes dropping into the world.

drat straight dude. I also like that this author has a setting that's "used" to isekai'd wish fullfillment offworlders. Just go home people, even the Narnia crew came back home. I do regret the time warping dude being tortured but honestly, when someone approaches you muttering incantations like they are reading from DIO's diary and warning you not to let people schmooze up to you. There's no one else to blame when you get utterly hosed. I also do not trust this Theos figure because anything extending into infinity above me, is not connected to anything good. Like some sort of lovecraftian angler fish. I wonder why the world is still pulling people over but I guess it could be an automatic system with no end in sight or a sign that the demon lord is not dead for good so there's still a call for broken heroes. The volume omake suggests that the pool of abilities is some kind of fixed amount since Junko managed to snag the spare ability left behind by Hinako. Like there's a generation of abilities and all of them have to be passed on before a new one can be generated

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

VictualSquid posted:

That was a fun read so far. But those giants have some weird biases which seem to clash with their prophecies. I don't get their behavior.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wholesome is probably not the word I'd use for it but it's very good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mors Rattus posted:

Wholesome is probably not the word I'd use for it but it's very good.

It's about a found family supporting each other on a perilous journey. What could be more wholesome than that?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

That was a fun read so far. But those giants have some weird biases which seem to clash with their prophecies. I don't get their behavior.

To be fair that seems to be the case with Alice's original clan but they were definitely shown to be very ignorant of a lot of things. Her current clan do have a mixed fear/respect for the sisters because the patriarch is aware of the prophecy and how Hinako is really the emotional crutch keeping Alice in check. But overall their culture is in something of a decline and strength is valued above all else so someone relatively diminutive like Alice is initially looked down on.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Trying to recall some isekai I had on hold(might actually be the same one). It was about the hero dying and being reborn as the child of his old traveling companions and there was another one about a girl with one red eye and one blue eye who wants to be the best swordswoman.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It likely is the same one? It's just reincarnation without isekai, unless I'm misremembering.
The Hero Who Was Reborn as a Daughter of the Heroes Aims to Become a Hero Again
The manga was cancelled, but the WN is still ongoing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

It likely is the same one? It's just reincarnation without isekai, unless I'm misremembering.
The Hero Who Was Reborn as a Daughter of the Heroes Aims to Become a Hero Again
The manga was cancelled, but the WN is still ongoing.

It is...Bummer to hear about the axe. :(

Is there a LN or just WN?

Edit: LN is ongoing so yay for small miracles. Also, I didn't know the author of "No Game, No Life" was a Brazilian expat(assuming Google translate was accurate).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 23, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Yakuza Reincarnation
Not that anything in this chapter absolves the older brother from being a piece of poo poo but at least I understand the inciting incident that broke this family apart. Although ironically we learned that once the original princess Sanaria lost the radiance to her guiding tree, her father began to see her an an individual and not just a walking prophecy. In a better world the brother would have supported his sister and together with the father brought her confidence back up so she could fulfill her destiny. Granted everything we've seen thus far hints that she's still buried somewhere in her mind so maybe she'll finally be able to surface at some point.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

KirbyKhan posted:

Uncle, when asked what happened to his highschool and middle school friends

Altered Beast isekai when

look me in the eye and tell me RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE would not be the hypest way to start an isekai story

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://mangadex.org/title/024af7a5-f8ad-4b67-b950-b1708f52b018/yuusha-party-ni-kawaii-ko-ga-ita-no-de-kokuhaku-shite-mita

Fun Isekai. MC is a major chuuni who gets reincarnated as a mid-boss and falls in love with the healer of the hero's party. Antics then ensue.

It avoids the major isekai tropes, the MC isn't changing the world or in charge of anything he's just a dude. No trip where he assembles a harem of superpowered monsters (Though he does have some monster friends, being a mid-boss and all). No country he rules. Zero introducing new technologies to the world.

He's just a dude who's in love and is dumb as poo poo about chuuni tropes. And it's funny.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He's absurdly powerful but also this doesn't matter because no one is fighting anyone important at this point.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

He's absurdly powerful but also this doesn't matter because no one is fighting anyone important at this point.

He's far too busy trying to figure out dating to give a poo poo about fighting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Being the wingman for his new friend Raven and his Harpy subordinate is more important. Also triple bird wordplay.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

khy posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/024af7a5-f8ad-4b67-b950-b1708f52b018/yuusha-party-ni-kawaii-ko-ga-ita-no-de-kokuhaku-shite-mita

Fun Isekai. MC is a major chuuni who gets reincarnated as a mid-boss and falls in love with the healer of the hero's party. Antics then ensue.

It avoids the major isekai tropes, the MC isn't changing the world or in charge of anything he's just a dude. No trip where he assembles a harem of superpowered monsters (Though he does have some monster friends, being a mid-boss and all). No country he rules. Zero introducing new technologies to the world.

He's just a dude who's in love and is dumb as poo poo about chuuni tropes. And it's funny.

I've read the web novel translation and I can say that so far it stays good and wholesome the whole way through.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

I had honestly forgotten this was an isekai (and was also a few months behind) so thanks for bringing it back up!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Just read it all. Fun times. I wish the translation was a bit better though, I'm sure there's a couple things I'm getting wrong because of it.

Most notably I'm not sure why him being Dark Lightning Magic Sword was such a bad thing. Like, yeah, he was being a ridiculous chuuni and his friends rightfully mock him for it. But then there's the 'I told you not to become famous' line, and I assumed a masked secret identity is the prefect solution to that while still letting him do level-appropriate quests and helping people in trouble?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elfface posted:

Just read it all. Fun times. I wish the translation was a bit better though, I'm sure there's a couple things I'm getting wrong because of it.

Most notably I'm not sure why him being Dark Lightning Magic Sword was such a bad thing. Like, yeah, he was being a ridiculous chuuni and his friends rightfully mock him for it. But then there's the 'I told you not to become famous' line, and I assumed a masked secret identity is the prefect solution to that while still letting him do level-appropriate quests and helping people in trouble?
which is why he told him to only take rank A quests as Dark Lightning Magic Sword after

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

khy posted:

No trip where he assembles a harem of superpowered monsters (Though he does have some monster friends, being a mid-boss and all).

I like how every other character has their own distinct love interest. (Except for the hero also being into the healer girl, but that seems to be more of an excuse to set up the mage girl as an 'unrequited love childhood friend' archetype, and not to seriously challenge the main relationship)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
which of the "character gets isekai'd and just wants to live a normal farming life" ones is good and which ones are bad, again?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ungulateman posted:

which of the "character gets isekai'd and just wants to live a normal farming life" ones is good and which ones are bad, again?

The one with the mermaid wife and elder Lich neighbor is the only good one that actually gets a translation (and even that's one gets iffy).

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
There was one in which the guy defeats a fenrir, refuses to use slavery as a method, and they get married. Though that's more "simple life" than farming.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ungulateman posted:

Let's Buy the Land And Cultivate in Different World (manga / web novel) is the good one with the mermaids, dragon, and undead. The manga is very slow to update (and the scanlators have some issues) but the web novel is updated regularly and is very solid.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eeepies posted:

There was one in which the guy defeats a fenrir, refuses to use slavery as a method, and they get married. Though that's more "simple life" than farming.

That one is...weird. I enjoy it, but the plot arc is now about how it is literally biologically impossible for humans and demons to coexist at the moment and our hero is trying to figure out how to fix that, which will probably involve literally fighting God.

(Demons naturally fart a substance that kills humans.)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Always wondered where miasma comes from in all these fantasy manga.

Demon farts.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://mangadex.org/title/5f64d517...-2-shuume-musou
(I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched )

I missed this one. Its actually a light novel I've been reading for a while now and I didn't realize they turned it into a manga. It has a fun spin on the formula and so far, in the translated light novel, its been pretty wholesome. It seems to be monthly and I hope it doesn't just get dropped like what happens to many series. Its also new so there is only 3 chapters so far.

The basic premise is (spoiler for ch1-2) that Ed is transmigrated to a different world and tasked with joining the hero party, staying with them for at least 6 months and gain some level of trust, and then be banished from the party. Upon doing so he will gain a powerful new ability and be sent to the next world. After doing this 100 times he will be allowed to go back home. The story starts at the end of his journey on the 100th world.

I'd like to say more but it would involve spoilers for chapters that haven't been released yet, so I'll just end it here.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/5f64d517...-2-shuume-musou
(I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched )

I missed this one. Its actually a light novel I've been reading for a while now and I didn't realize they turned it into a manga. It has a fun spin on the formula and so far, in the translated light novel, its been pretty wholesome. It seems to be monthly and I hope it doesn't just get dropped like what happens to many series. Its also new so there is only 3 chapters so far.

The basic premise is (spoiler for ch1-2) that Ed is transmigrated to a different world and tasked with joining the hero party, staying with them for at least 6 months and gain some level of trust, and then be banished from the party. Upon doing so he will gain a powerful new ability and be sent to the next world. After doing this 100 times he will be allowed to go back home. The story starts at the end of his journey on the 100th world.

I'd like to say more but it would involve spoilers for chapters that haven't been released yet, so I'll just end it here.

At first I mistook this for a different story about a guy who gets a new power each time he's summoned, but that one is bland and rather bad and this one is quite good. I couldn't help but read ahead in the novel, so if anyone else is curious it takes 29 chapters to achieve the promises made in the description.

Hopefully the manga will live up to what I just read in the novel. I really appreciate this Quantum Leap-ish take on being kicked out of the hero's party.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mors Rattus posted:

That one is...weird. I enjoy it, but the plot arc is now about how it is literally biologically impossible for humans and demons to coexist at the moment and our hero is trying to figure out how to fix that, which will probably involve literally fighting God.

(Demons naturally fart a substance that kills humans.)

I think I recall a very skeevy scene be between the Genie-like character and one of the captured villains from the web novel, but I think editing might have altered that and a lot of other things by the time it got to Manga form?

At any rate, thanks to the thread for the recommendation on The Holy Grail of Eris. Wound up burning through the first three volumes of that over the past couple weeks and enjoyed it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

maltesh posted:

At any rate, thanks to the thread for the recommendation on The Holy Grail of Eris. Wound up burning through the first three volumes of that over the past couple weeks and enjoyed it.

Is that gay in any way? Or is it a het romance?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

maltesh posted:

I think I recall a very skeevy scene be between the Genie-like character and one of the captured villains from the web novel, but I think editing might have altered that and a lot of other things by the time it got to Manga form?

Oh, yeah, that’s…that’s present. I just kinda blocked it out because it’s very short but yeah there’s a very weird and creepy thing there that may or may not be sexual assault.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

I wouldn't really describe it as a het romance but it's not gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

skaianDestiny posted:

A damsel MC getting rescued a few times, but it's given me more of a mystery/intrigue thing than a romance story.