Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ungulateman posted:

which of the "character gets isekai'd and just wants to live a normal farming life" ones is good and which ones are bad, again?

Beware of chicken on RR is good.

It's wholesome even if the protagonist has a giant magical cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nalin posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/5f64d517...-2-shuume-musou
(I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched )

I missed this one. Its actually a light novel I've been reading for a while now and I didn't realize they turned it into a manga. It has a fun spin on the formula and so far, in the translated light novel, its been pretty wholesome. It seems to be monthly and I hope it doesn't just get dropped like what happens to many series. Its also new so there is only 3 chapters so far.

The basic premise is (spoiler for ch1-2) that Ed is transmigrated to a different world and tasked with joining the hero party, staying with them for at least 6 months and gain some level of trust, and then be banished from the party. Upon doing so he will gain a powerful new ability and be sent to the next world. After doing this 100 times he will be allowed to go back home. The story starts at the end of his journey on the 100th world.

I'd like to say more but it would involve spoilers for chapters that haven't been released yet, so I'll just end it here.

I looked up the web novel translation of this and was disappointed. I dropped it the moment he went back in time. The whole beginning hook is him returning to all these worlds and seeing the aftermath, so dropping that immediately in favor of a way more generic "go back in time and speedrun 100 isekai worlds" is so much less interesting. Maybe it's done well, but it's pretty hard to look past that much squandered potential.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Einander posted:

I looked up the web novel translation of this and was disappointed. I dropped it the moment he went back in time. The whole beginning hook is him returning to all these worlds and seeing the aftermath, so dropping that immediately in favor of a way more generic "go back in time and speedrun 100 isekai worlds" is so much less interesting. Maybe it's done well, but it's pretty hard to look past that much squandered potential.

I read 59 chapters (which is ~4 volumes) and I disagree that it squandered it's potential. It's quickly made clear that he never really helped any of the hero parties reach their goal. While he did provide good support, his goal was always to hang on just long enough to reach the requirements of being sent to the next world. After he clears the first world he does get to see how things played out after he left, and he decides that from now on he's going to use his knowledge and his new skills to make sure that each party achieves the best results, and not just to speedrun the world until he gets sent home like he did before.

It ends up being more of a Quantum Leap style of story; he hops from place to place setting right what went wrong, with limited and often imperfect knowledge about what it is he needs to fix. If he were to know the aftermath of all the worlds beforehand, there wouldn't be much tension since he'd know exactly what he had to fix.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 15, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nemo2342 posted:

I read 59 chapters (which is ~4 volumes) and I disagree that it squandered it's potential. It's quickly made clear that he never really helped any of the hero parties reach their goal. While he did provide good support, his goal was always to hang on just long enough to reach the requirements of being sent to the next world. After he clears the first world he does get to see how things played out after he left, and he decides that from now on he's going to use his knowledge and his new skills to make sure that each party achieves the best results, and not just to speedrun the world until he gets sent home like he did before.

It ends up being more of a Quantum Leap style of story; he hops from place to place setting right what went wrong, with limited and often imperfect knowledge about what it is he needs to fix. If he were to know the aftermath of all the worlds beforehand, there wouldn't be much tension since he'd know exactly what he had to fix.

(You messed up your spoiler tag in the actual post)

It's admittedly mostly an issue of "read the early parts, made up a story in my head, was disappointed they wrote a different one," but... None of that's really any different from "generic isekai," is the thing. For example, if they had stuck with the original conceit, then it'd create an actual dramatic purpose for his giant toolkit of powers, in that it creates a dramatic contrast between his power and his feelings of powerlessness. Sure, he killed the demon lord, but all his friends in that world are dead. And he needs to do this 99 times, or else give up and go home. Does he want to do that? Should he do that? How many of the 100 worlds does he gently caress up saving in the end, because he's exhausted and he's burned out and he's starting to feel like it's pointless, but it's now or never, and all of this happened in the first place because he half-assed everything despite having all this power, so can he live with himself he just stops trying--

Like, when your story starts out by presenting the audience with an actual emotional event, wiping that away with a plot contrivance and then saying "ANYWAY, time to turn this into a power fantasy" is a coward's move in any story that isn't a comedy. I'm The Only One That Knows This World Is A Game's best jokes are all "dramatic event -> complete anti-climax solution (involving the game being badly programmed and/or the protagonist cheating)" and it works because it's a joke. In a more serious story, that sort of thing just makes me think the author is a boring person.

Also, if it's time travel involving a protagonist dropping in on lots of different worlds and trying desperately to save everyone then it's competing in that concept with SSS-Class Suicide Hunter, which is an actually interesting presentation of that concept. It also features a protagonist who, given a power that activates on death, stabs himself in the throat 3000+ times in a row so he can use it to maximum effect, because he's well-intentioned but he's also a complete lunatic with no self-awareness. This makes him fun to read about. Shame that the translation of the webnovel seems to have stalled and the web comic hasn't updated in about a year, after its last season break.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
IIRC he stabs himself thousands of times because it lets him reset to a day earlier, but he has a specific event 10 years ago that he wants to change. So he does the death-time-travel one day at a time.

Edit: What I'm saying he wasn't just "maximizing the effect," he had a particular reason to do it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tunicate posted:

Beware of chicken on RR is good.

It's wholesome even if the protagonist has a giant magical cock.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

It's not a magical cock, it is a chi cock.
also I think it is a regular sized cock.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A massively powerful cock.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Siegkrow posted:

It's not a magical cock, it is a chi cock.
also I think it is a regular sized cock.

Regular sized, just named Big D, so confusion is understandable.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I enjoyed the Beware of Chicken audiobook from Audible, and it looks like the second audio volume is set to arrive on March 23, 2023.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Saw the slime movie and was surprised that the theater was packed, didn't know it was that popular. It was a pretty good story.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LorneReams posted:

Saw the slime movie and was surprised that the theater was packed, didn't know it was that popular. It was a pretty good story.

Interesting. Was gonna wait til it was in the open ocean, but might actually visit my local theater for it then and put my AMC membership to use.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I watched it too - cinema here was pretty quiet. Movie was nice visuals and stuff, but unsurprisingly for slime the stakes were like, non-existent.

Spoilers for the Slime Isekai movie Also they open the movie with some very explicit soul sacrifice and then just... never discuss it again? The central Ogre/Kijin Hiiro is severely injured and the doctor shakes his head like nothing they can do, and one of his nameless mook buddies begs them to save him, and so the Queen names him using the MacGuffin but it also very explicitly shows their souls leaving their bodies and going into Hiiro, and even reinforces it with a candle visual metaphor and... no one discusses it? They tell the guy his friends just passed from their wounds and that they couldn't name all of them, so I kinda thought maybe the Queen/people were up to some nonsense but its just never mentioned at all, ever again.

If I didn't watch Slime before I'd have thought soul sacrifice was just like a normal thing in the setting :p

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Slime spoiler
Souls are almost always needed for naming, it's just not really shown. Rimiru was borrowing all the souls that Veldora had stored up to name everyone.

My favorite moment in the movie was a small thing

When Hiiro was screaming at Geld about wanting revenge and he went to strike him and Geld just dropped his weapons and shut his eyes.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Speaking of slimes, I've been reading The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick up Trash

It has a pretty boilerplate isekai start but I've been enjoying the mostly lowkey adventures of the main character, particularly since it doesn't really seem to be engaging with the whole big power fantasy part of Isekai (at least so far).

Also, It got a cute slime

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly the Isekai aspect of that one is entirely disposable. Still good, tho.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly the Isekai aspect of that one is entirely disposable. Still good, tho.

I believe it’s more than wholesome enough to make up for that

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
At this point, my personal working definition of isekai as a genre is that it's about a person in a fantasy world who's empowered by their unique outsider perspective. Even if Rimiru was just a slime named and blessed by a dragon, to me it'd still be an isekai. In that way it's kind of a cool genre of power fantasies about your weirdness making you strong.

Not that isekai are inherently woke or anything. In practice, all these protags think like colonizers and I'm rooting for each of them to be destroyed by the indigenous people. "Please love me, I "invented" soy sauce and comic books" yeah eat poo poo columbus

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The One Within the Villainess finally got another update.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Nine chapters of that'n has more plot and character development than some series' whole run.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

The One Within the Villainess finally got another update.

I found it interesting she's so candid about Emi's memories. Not that the demon lord has any way of knowing who Emi is, but coming out and saying you've had prophetic memories could have resulted in more questions. Then again, having someone say they want to trample on the domain of the God's is also more of an attention grabber.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Brought To You By posted:

I found it interesting she's so candid about Emi's memories. Not that the demon lord has any way of knowing who Emi is, but coming out and saying you've had prophetic memories could have resulted in more questions. Then again, having someone say they want to trample on the domain of the God's is also more of an attention grabber.

With the demon lord being able to detect falsehoods I read it as she thought it would sell her story better to be candid and not ping him on it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

With the demon lord being able to detect falsehoods I read it as she thought it would sell her story better to be candid and not ping him on it

No that's explicitly why she brings up Emi's name. I'm just saying it ran the risk of him asking who Emi since she says this is the girl who "would save the world" and that seems important to me at least to follow up on. Like is this Emi sick, dead, a prophet? But like I said, she just goes right back to the topic of curing the miasma using a sacred object and sanctum and she's got Max CHA going on right here.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lock Knight posted:

Nine chapters of that'n has more plot and character development than some series' whole run.

It's a very satisfying series to read, and I thoroughly enjoy when it slips into that wispy art-style that reminds me old Final Fantasy concept art.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Whoa this manga rules. Wish it updated more often. Alas.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
For what it's worth, the entire webnovel and several afterstories of The One Within the Villaness have been fan-translated and are linked at NovelUpdates.

One I'm enjoying is With One Day Left I'll Break All the Destruction Flags: "Serves You Right!" RTA 24 Hour Record

Villainess gets a memory dump of the Otome game she's living in 24 hours before the Denouncement Event, and realizes that the Heroine is presumably a reincarnate going for the Harem + Villainess Friendship ending, and she will. not. abide. that. charity.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Okay it's pretty good so far. I admit I'm a sucker for these. Yall got any recs for similar ones? I love ones where the female protag kicks rear end, literally or otherwise.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I'm just browsing through my mangadex list of followed stuff but :

the villainess slow prison life began with her broken engagement a short comedy about a villainess causing chaos from her prison cell. Adapted from a novel so you're gonna have to read it instead if you want to see where it goes after chapter 3.

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! Main character has her life loop back to her engagement annulment event every time she dies. Now on her 7th loop and having acquired new skills on every previous loop she ends up marrying a foreign emperor set on conquering the world.

Villainess Level 99 ~I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord~ I will be real with you all, there is essentially no villainess element to it aside that it has an otome magical academy setting and it's an isekai. It is still one of my favorite isekai with a girl main character because it is genuinely very funny. Definitely give this one a try.

May I Ask for One Final Thing? Want to read about a villainess who gets her revenge not through clever political dealings but through beating the poo poo out of every single dumbass who thought they could pull a fast one on her? look no further.

The Holy Grail of Eris Is it really an isekai if nobody is coming from another world and it's just a ghost? I guess not. Still, it has a 100% primo legit high quality villainess in it as well as a pretty solid plot. It might be getting an anime adaptation at some point later in the year? I think? Anyway it's pretty good, give it a try if you can.

Though I May Be a Villainess, I'll Show You I Can Obtain Happiness! Anthology An anthology of nothing but villainess short stories. Some great, some good, some mediocre and one absolutely awful, no good, rotten-poop-in-a-sewer bad one. Do not, under any circumstances, read the first chapter, unless you really hate yourself.

January 6 Survivor fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 1, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

January 6 Survivor posted:

Villainess Level 99 ~I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord~ I will be real with you all, there is essentially no villainess element to it aside that it has an otome magical academy setting and it's an isekai. It is still one of my favorite isekai with a girl main character because it is genuinely very funny. Definitely give this one a try.

I really love this one, it's hilarious and the heroine is dense as hell in a really fun way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the anthology has a lot of really lovely chapters, imo. the guy and/or girl is cruel and manipulative for no particular reason, and then they get married. the end! it keeps happening.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Adding to the villainess pile.

An Observation Log of My Fiancée Who Calls Herself a Villainess
The main character of this is actually the Crowned Prince who on the day of meeting his fiance, at the age of 8, she declares she's the Villainess and that she is destined to lose. What follows are many years of her failing spectacularly and earning everyone's love in the process. And it does have a sequel. I think the series does a good examination of one of the more manipulative archetypes for a male love interest and it helps he's not mean spirited towards his fiance.

I Raised a Black Dragon
Main character finds herself possessing the body of a novels most notorious criminal mastermind. While attempting to just live out a more carefree life in the country she finds herself pulled back into the main plot of the story when the dragon egg she thought she'd never encounter is mailed to her doorstep. Currently on its 2nd season and the first ended on a very unusual beat for these kind of "transmigrate into a novel" series. She straight up goes home, gets her original body, then proceeds back to the world within the book for romance and mystery Recent chapters have taken one of the main antagonists in an interesting direction.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'll add this one to the pile:

What's Wrong with Being the Villainess?

A woman who was a complete pushover in life reincarnates as an otome villainess in a pretty lovely novel, decides that she'd like to keep being rich and powerful thank you very much. So now she uses her reputation as being a huge bitch to her advantage as she tries to set things up to where the main characters won't be able to mess with her.

I enjoy it because there's a large gap between her inward personality and the outward image she's trying to convey, and there's some really fun interactions between her and a character who is living a double life.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
any villainess isekai action oriented ones to look at?

I remember one I followed for a while. But it starts off with the daughter as a baby, and she realizes its a otome game(but not much details, in the end, it being an iseaki doesn't affect much for a big part of the story because the game starts at the school, but she's starting off as a baby.
But its a very noble military-based world, and as a kid, she poisons her 'evil parents' and family and takes over. But it had a lot of strong characters. I think the translation group might have died up, not sure if it picked up somewhere else.

Also one where the villainess isekai character ends up putting magic tatoos on herself and just punches a bunch of people

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

I remember one I followed for a while. But it starts off with the daughter as a baby, and she realizes its a otome game(but not much details, in the end, it being an iseaki doesn't affect much for a big part of the story because the game starts at the school, but she's starting off as a baby.
But its a very noble military-based world, and as a kid, she poisons her 'evil parents' and family and takes over. But it had a lot of strong characters. I think the translation group might have died up, not sure if it picked up somewhere else.

That's "I Reincarnated as a Noble Girl Villainess But Why Did It Turn Out This Way?" (sometimes just called Eliza). The WN has a complete translation now, I think.

Deathbound Duke's Daughter is action-y but the villainess bit is negligible.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

GateOfD posted:

Also one where the villainess isekai character ends up putting magic tatoos on herself and just punches a bunch of people

"I'm a Martial Art Villainess, But I'm The Strongest" is a Manwha. Being a villainess isn't a huge impact on her thus far though, it causes like 30 chapters of people doubting her and one character (the MC of the 'original' story) refuses to believe she's 'changed'.

It has taken the typical 'femc' isekai route though of the male romantic lead being stronger than her and saving her. Though she's still portrayed as smarter and a more clever person.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

LibrarianCroaker posted:

That's "I Reincarnated as a Noble Girl Villainess But Why Did It Turn Out This Way?" (sometimes just called Eliza). The WN has a complete translation now, I think.

Apparently the LN is middling because it ties up a lot more in order to follow a different storyline that is much more neatly ended far, far before where the WN goes.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

KittyEmpress posted:

Though she's still portrayed as smarter and a more clever person.

She does consistently and enthusiastically eat the weirdest things, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Myok posted:

She does consistently and enthusiastically eat the weirdest things, though.

If that's the cultivation one; eating weird poo poo is par for the course.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Heroine Survival: the heroine of the novel is attacked by a reincarnater trying to take over her body. She survives and retains the reincarnater's memories and knowledge, and decides to forgo the plot and survive as an adventurer instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GateOfD posted:

You are talking about Eliza, as mentioned. And "An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku" has the tatoos, though limited punching. The punching one is "may I ask one final thing" which is great.
I also second the recommended "Martial Arts Villainess".

Also there is "Breaking Off the Engagement… Bring it on!", which is great. The villainess conceit only lasts the first chapter and the author vanished of the internet in the middle of the tournament arc, tho.

"The Magnificent Battle Records of A Former Noble Lady" is very close to your description, but it is not that good.

I remembered to check for updates on "The Saintess has a showdown" in reaction to your post. It is ambivalently isekai, has a bit of villainess mood, and is a really fun fighting comedy.