Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

It's not too far off a normal isekai setup and feels a lot like one, it's just missing the reincarnation/summon/etc. factor. It's even got quite the name: Even Though I’m a Former Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are Too Cute and Working as an Adventurer Isn’t Too Much of a Hassle

The synopsis:

The fan translation is actually pretty decent, certainly better than the synopsis above. Feel free to skip the prologue chapters if they get too dark, they just go over the events in the synopsis with a little more detail and don't match most of the tone going forward. (There's occasionally scumbags. They get their just desserts, unless it's the main antagonists, but even they get their metaphorical nose bloodied. Repeatedly.)

I love that the male adventurer early on just goes through the same steps as goblin slayer, but is a lot better simply because it avoids the issue of rape and simply kills characters instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I didn't mean it in a bad way, it just seemed similar in ways it describes things, like the dude wearing a simple helmet, using a cheap bargain bin shortsword and a buckler due to his experience.

And you don't really form any bond with these people, they are just background characters.

Also what the others are saying here.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My main point in my post was that this is how Goblin slayer could have avoided being poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the main way goblin slayer could have avoided being poo poo was non-existence. why do you keep talking about that poo poo?

Because it stood out to me as I was reading it and it caught me off guard?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's plenty of really bad ones.

She Professed Herself the Pupil of the Wiseman, is one I really like too, but as the others said, it moves pretty slow and has slow updates and only reason I'd hesitate to recommend it is because it doesn't seem like it has gotten to the meat of stuff. It's still got a few good moments in there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Then again in the manga everybody wears capes and look more like super heroes than army men.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Read the lightnovel honestly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I do wanna see this drider form and what shortcomings it has, where maybe the top body is actually just like a camouflage.

^^ Above is a speculation spoiler, not a "I've read ahead" spoiler of I'm a spider, so what ^^

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Mio, My Son from 1954 is literally an isekai.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I finally caught up on Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear and it's pretty good, if you don't mind that it has no purpose.

Also now I feel like my life has no purpose between updates, so reader beware. If you love it, you'll fall in deep.

Bakanogami posted:

I read the WN of this raw and am a big fan. There’s a pretty good bit of world building, the fights are interesting, and they take things very slow but not in a bad way.

It seems like it’s been cursed to get bad translations that get dropped quickly, though. The raw is fairly dense and a lot of groups got hung up on trying to find a way to express how the MC talks like an old man in English in a way that doesn’t sound unnatural.

I started reading the WN english translation and uh... It needs some work. Like wow, it's hard to read. And I loved the manga, so I thought I'd love the novel as well, but... I'm going to give the LN a try and see if it's better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
FUNA's stuff tickles me in just the right way, so I'd love it if everyone gave it more attention so her stuff gets animated as well. Covert ads for her stuff has appeared in the background of some stuff and it makes me giggle when I see it. If there's a magazine or something it's often Potion girl that makes an appearance, but even that is far more thought out than most stuff I read.

She's not exactly like ONE in terms of writing or anything, but I don't feel like I'm treated to something poorly thought out no matter which of the stories I read.

And while I'd like nothing better than to climb a hill and scream at the world to read these novels, I do recognize they aren't perfect by any means. I'm just excited to the brink of sanity when I see a new update release is all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Apparently Kenja no Mago is getting an anime, so I looked it up. I searched the thread and didn't see it, so I figured I'd mention it.

I've only read a few chapters and so far it seems OK. The basic premise is the MC is a salaryman who dies, and is reincarnated. He's found by an old magician who raises the MC as his own grandson. He teaches the MC all sorts of amazing magic, but then when the MC turns 15 Grandpa says "Whoops I forgot to teach him common sense" and thus the MC goes off being the most ridiculously OP person of all time.

It's fairly light-hearted about things, hopefully it stays that way though if it goes off the rails in a terrible direction please let me know.

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-131181

It handles its romance a bit awkwardly, but I haven't seen anything bad in this one yet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Amazingly it's the only gender bender isekai I've read that's not creepy about it.

Reincarnated as a Vampire is also a gender bender isekai that is not creepy with that premise. I even forget that they was a guy in his old life most of the time, cause they have their priorities straight. Sleeping.

It does have some other problems, but it's not the gender bending that is the problem imo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/1028082240025186304?s=19

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The comments on that manga does seem like they are let down by the pace of it compared to the novel.

I'll give it a read as well now that I'm coasting on updates for Kumax3 Bear.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bakanogami posted:

If they were to take a scapel and carefully edit out a select few of the skeeviest, creepiest scenes they would probably be left with an overall decent show. I expect that if anything they'll do the opposite, though.

Also, one of its strong points is how it follows the MC for his entire life- from childhood, to adulthood, to getting married and having kids, to getting old and dying. One thing I genuinely like about the series is the epilogue chapter written like a biography created years later, showing what the MC's life looked like from the point of view of history.

In an anime version with limited episode count they might not have the time for all of that and instead we're going to get a lot of the infant/child stuff which is weak and creepy at times.

I think we'll just get what we've seen in the manga, maybe a bit less from where we are now. It's skeeviness makes it a rough recommendation to anyone, but I kinda enjoy it so far.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think the first game would be a dating sim and the second would be Long Live the Queen version of that dating sim.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Namek isekai arc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Female protags tend to do this better than the male protags as far as I've read.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like all these different isekai just means people wanna play some drat TRPGs.

Might have something to do with the popularity of Critical Role, yeah.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I'm enjoying this, but gosh, was Yui always so selfish and egotistical? Kyouko really comes across as the protagonist.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's one that is fairly entertaining as a manga, but I can't imagine holding out in text.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The episode that features it manages to quite stunningly represent the OsloOrse fjord, so there's that.

If you're not really into the whole magic WWI scenario, then it doesn't really offer much, no.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still think it's worth watching the shows to get the maximum enjoyment out of Issekai Quartet, even if you didn't like some of them.

I really didn't care for Re:zero, but still watched through it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She also steals Christmas presents, so she's basically the Grinch.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how anyone can derive humor from Shield Hero though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Poor Ainz has been heavily nerfed in the name of comedy.

D&D wizard liches are just that plain nuts though, you see it seep through.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did Kadokawa do any of those shorts for any shows outside of the quartet? It'd be a good indication on who it could be.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I found it odd how my recommendation field was full of them, pages upon pages, but they've generally been more interesting than the majority of male focused isekais.

everythingWasBees posted:

y'all there were like three rules for this thread total

It's even in bold in the OP!!

We were talking about Isekai Quartet, technically.

But whatever, it's not really likely to be that way.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 3, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I gobble all of these series up because I'm weirdly configured to like them, I guess.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I read the LN thread, but I don't post in it cause there's nothing really to say as only doomrider basically posts in them.

There's also way too much to sift through.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Don't make my mistake of stopping after chapter 3, misunderstanding what the manwa is really about.

I thought we were just bound for endless misery.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Someone asked for a decent issekai anime and I remembered Dog Days is a thing.

It has some ecchi, but it is mostly innocent fun.

We're just really early into the lifetime of the genre. It's going to be decades before most of them end without just being quietly discontinued.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just really like variety in these stories so it doesn't feel like I'm reading the same story over and over.

It has happened a few times already.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Why is it that so many Japanese manga focus so heavily on food? Is it a cultural thing? A mandate from editors? Are the artists starved?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does Dungeon Meshi count?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It honestly didn't bother me that much until I noticed it was everywhere, even in mangas that aren't food-focused.

And it's not exactly appetizing when you're reading on the shitter.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It could just simply be that authorities in the past simply threatened the heroes to abandon her before. We only remember 2~3 previous timelines when the implications now is that it has happened 7 or 8 times.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's gay-coded in the way where cishet men can read it and completely miss the undertones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see more historical figures ruined like Nero of Rome, where if you try to Google Image Search for the old emperor you just get the Fate character.