Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I wasn't going to read ideal sponger life, but I started it and it really surprised me by being two adults with informed consent on the part of the summonee. A strong opening, rather unexpected of isekai trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Oo Koo posted:

Well yeah, if one wants to be boring about it. Bit of a waste of the plot gimmick if it isn't being used for weird meta game mechanics.

This would be, hands down, the best idea possible for an otome game sequel. Make the first game, let it get popular, then make a sequel where somebody gets reincarnated as the first game's villainess and all the changes you make to try and avoid your death flags start butterflying things.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

E: Also the wish fulfillment of "lovable, powerful and willful woman" is way less disgusting than "murderhobo slavemonger."

It also starts out in an automatically better position, since being the villain slated for death makes you the underdog by definition, and gives an immediate goal to work towards.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I remember at least two where somebody was pulled in on their first login.

One involved getting an invite from a friend that put him in a scantily clad woman character, I can't remember the other though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

look if you absolutely must talk about the breastfeeding isekai please at least be upfront about the central element instead of dancing around it.

like I imagine that it's probably not the most welcome surprise for everyone.

...Which breastfeeding isekai?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they are all people who were close to the reincarnated original hero. they weren't born as heroes, but rather became heroes because of their relationship to her. i'm not sure why that resulted in all of them ditching her without a word, though.

They ditched her because they're not her destined love, obviously. The one who came back for her this time was the original hero's rival in love.

edit: Keep the Final Boss: Actually kind of an interesting twist that the heroine's memories awakened as a direct consequence of the villainess breaking the timeline.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 26, 2019

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Space battles is a pretty good place to go read stuff.

Sufficient Velocity has most of what spacebattles does fiction-wise and is a better place in general, I find.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

khy posted:

KOREAN Isekai time!

The Dungeon Master

Fair warning, I'm only 22 chapters in so if it gets bad I haven't reached it yet.

Convenience store guy dies saving someone from drowning! His reward is to be Isekai'ed into the body of a lowly dungeon beast that eats dirt and poops out bricks. Then poo poo gets weird. There's a demon ruling class, there's zombies and soul transfers and all kinds of poo poo. It isn't amazing yet, but it's decent enough. I think it's worth reading.

Also has a mad scientist who attaches a Zombie's head to a dog's rear end. Then later a dog's head to the Zombie's crotch, because MAD SCIENCE.

There's blessedly no slavery, though it's such a dog eat dog world that there might as well be, but no magically enforced slavery as far as I recall, unless you count the crazy mad scientist's mind control stuff.

On the down side, it's up to date with current as of March and the author is doing his military service, so it won't continue for over a year.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah his weird accidental omnipotence doesn't make a whole lot of sense. His initial "fictional setting" that is actually a 1:1 parallel with reality is just inexplicable. Maybe the world he reincarnated into really is just that cliche? Maybe he was specifically and purposely sent to that world on rebirth because it matched up with his weird fantasies? Maybe that just the way it is because if it wasn't that way half the punchlines wouldn't land?

Who knows.

I don't know how long it carries on into the LN but in the beginning of the LN, in some bits that were cut out in the manga, he basically seems to make up the order of diablos based on actual legend. It turns out that the name he gives them is not accurate, they call themselves something slightly different, and it seems like their goal is not the same, but it's close enough that his followers latch onto it. There's a lot of that. He makes stuff up in a chuuni way and because it's a chuuni sort of world, they turn out to be close enough to reality that his followers can then latch onto them.

A lot of the stuff that happens he doesn't predict at all, his followers bring it to him and he assumes they're just playing along when it's reality.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Somebody's lying

Second chapter has a near bloody finger lick and headpats.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

"Breaking Off the Engagement… Bring it on!" is updating again.
It is a pretty fun story. The prince breaks of his engagement with the MC, and she is quite happy. Then the story starts tumbling sideways through sub-genres. The new updates finally finished the tournament arc. Though it is also one of those "barely technically not isekai" stories.

Be nice if you provided a link, it's not showing up in search.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Galvanik posted:

Did Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic get cancelled or something? It feels like I haven't seen an update in many months.

Google ptscans, it and some others are there. They pulled out in the dumb drama over mangadex wanting to eventually go legit.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Argas posted:

It's still kind of Rimuru's fault if only in the sense that he upset the status quo, as Tempest's location is basically really hurting the kingdom's economy.

It's totally his fault for having such sexy, well placed tracts of land. Really, he was asking for it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Artificer posted:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

https://mangadex.org/title/37415/samayoeru-tensei-sha-tachi-no-relive-game

That's the one I've seen described as Dark Souls the Isekai (except with all the anime tiddy) It is uh... not entirely wholesome, though its unwholesomeness is pretty much entirely on the horny end of things rather than slavery and pedophilia.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

They're offline for planned server upgrades. The twitter says they expect to be down around 72 hours.

other reporting says they are down because cloudflare's been subpoenaed about it so they had to find a new host in a hurry.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Really not sure why you think this is a good thing, that novel is hot garbage.

Elfface posted:

300-year-old witch is in a competition with Bakarina for who can accidentally get the most girlfriends.

P sure Bakarina has to concede this one, she's got too many men around, while men don't really exist for the 300 year old witch.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

It's definitely the best translated yuri webnovel I've seen.

This is the one where the protagonist spends almost every waking moment sexually harassing her target, isn't it? Up to and including forcing her way into the girl's personal entourage?

Yeah, I looked it up. She blackmails the target of her affections to force her way into the girl's personal entourage. It's a garbage plot and it absolutely doesn't belong in the wholesome thread.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 27, 2020

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Okay I just started this series, and chapter 3 has a phenomenal gag where the heroine obliviously munches on a bird leg like some kind of barbarian in the background. The fact that she is a complete blank slate and barely has a personality has to be a deliberate decision.

Finne absolutely has a personality, it's just that... okay, so it points out at some point, I forget when, that the original game has a potential path where you ignore the romance entirely in favor of getting swole as gently caress, and get so powerful that you solo the final boss. This Finne is on that route.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

Not that important, but it's not really an isekai since she isn't from the modern world or anything. She is a medieval fantasy person who reincarnates as herself only younger.

A Peggy Sue. Which is also a fantastic genre, imo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

however, despite returner supposedly being about preparing for these shadow realms it has been incredibly vague about what this apocalypse even is. wtf was that historical revision roleplaying game?

The apocalypse is a huge uptick in the appearance and difficulty of shadow realms, where shadow realms act like the games in ReBoot, if you lose, everything in the area of the shadow realm is consumed. The historical revision thing was presented as a typical but low-mid difficulty shadow realm, and the nature of shadow realms is to invert the history within them. In the original history, the kingdom was torn apart by suspicion and corruption and when the shadow realm happened, they couldn't beat it, got destroyed, and the leadup was turned into a shadow realm that reoccurred as we saw, with the goal being to replay history but find a way to achieve the opposite outcome. The whole thing seems to be an exercise in "loving work together or we're going to keep destroying your civilizations until you figure it out."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pyronic posted:

This is v good. I just caught up with it.

Just like, skim as fast as you can over the pre-isekai opening, which is hilariously awful.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

amigolupus posted:

I tried the first chapter of this but bounced off of it. The fact that the MC can't even speak of her own free will until the world decides she's hit an in-game choice makes it feel like she's got barely any agency as a protagonist. That she ends up just taking everyone's abuse also doesn't appeal to me.

The best part is when she snaps and stands up for herself and is mystified when people have their affection rates rise.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Edit : never mind, didn't notice the Pic was a link

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Deathbound Duke's Daughter does this a bit by making that she only get about 3/7 of the endings or just under half the game done. So while she's familiar with the setting, a lot of stuff is still unknown to her.

Villains are Fated to Die, I think it is, she's familiar as gently caress with the setting but gets dumped in in a scenario she has no idea about whatsoever (because it happens before the original paths even start) and also she's on hard mode.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Doesn't he make a pact with the God/Goddess of Fire or is that part of the same ticket? But yeah, at first the isekai aspect felt tacked on, but starts to make more sense.

Apparently he was always a bit of NEET with some depression, but he REALLY caved in when his parents died and the panel of it has him clearly broken at their funeral(Apparently he was also rather absent which he REALLY regrets)and it just went downhill from there. It's why his bond with his new family is so strong.

She's also the goddess of death and Reincarnation. She was the one who brought him to this world to reincarnate.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Yes, it's obviously the comic version of clickbait and doesn't represent the comic at all.

There is a full color NSFW scene in the first issue, and then it's never like that again.

I mean, it also sort of is an accurate representation of the opening of the series. He absolutely gets baited in by hot big tiddy queen with the need for seed. It's just that the whole situation is played entirely straight and not as a dumb vanilla power fantasy. It's absolutely a bait and switch, not just on the reader, but also on the main character.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SubNat posted:

I've genuinely lost count of how many times I've seen that Goddamn Fantasy Castle®️™️ in Chinese and Korean series.
I wonder if it's just some model pack most of them have access to in sketchup or something, or a injoke at this point because it pretty much is omnipresent.

It's both.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

German rocket fuel in WW2 needed to have giant warnings not to drink it because it will kill you, and the soldiers still drank it because it contained alcohol. I cannot imagine a situation where a soldier does not want to sample the mortar ingredient that also smells good. People will eating loving anything.

Yeah, it's the three standard questions that humanity asks when it finds a new thing.

1) Can I eat it?
2) Can I make alcohol from it?
3) Can I gently caress it?

That's just how humanity works. Ancient Egyptian mummies? Seems edible! And if it's not initially edible, like fugu or like, lobster or other shellfish, people will gently caress around getting sick and/or dying until they DO figure it out, like we as a species are personally offended by things that do not fit into at least one of the three categories.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

I just binged all the available chapters of Kill the Villainess and man is this 100% my jam as far as handling reincarnation. MC wasn't killed offscreen, she just woke up one day as the villainess in a story she wasn't particularly interested in and desperately just wants out. And she's not even trapped in a terribly interesting story; the prince is set to marry her because of politics between their families but is clearly pining for their mutual childhood friend from a fallen noble house. On top of that because she doesn't benefit from having the memories of the 'Lady Eris' she's come to inhabit those close to her have begun to notice those changes in personality and it's causing some uncomfortable questions and realizations to arise on their part. But also done something to change the script which is making the world care about someone that was previously neglected in her own way. All while the MC begins to realize the entities she's considered characters aren't as 1 dimensional as her recollection of the story had presented.

Really good, kind of tragic when you get down to some of the character's circumstances but never going so far to be edgy or egregious. My only complaint is that a 2nd group showed up and seems to have derailed the first one who I think had a tighter translation.

the protagonist's name made me think of Holy Grail of Eris, and that made me sad that Mistakes Were Made apparently dropped it so hard they don't even list it as dropped anymore.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah I went l looking and found it, pre-ordered on the spot.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ThingOne posted:

If we're doing recommendations then I have to go with Yakuza Reincarnation. An old Yakuza gets set up by his partner and finds himself reincarnated as the princess of a fantasy kingdom on the run from a coup led by her brother. What really makes the manga for me is the main character; you can tell he has an entire life behind him and it informs his values and how he approaches the problems he faces. His decades of experience in the criminal underworld are just as, if not more important than his ability to punch real good as he navigates the seedier parts of this new world. It has a much darker tone than most other Isakais but I also think it handles the heavier subjects it touches on a lot better.

Also, the distressed reactions of the princess' retainers to his increasingly unprincess-like behaviors are hilarious.

Please be warned that if you are extremely affected by late-Jojo level body horror, for example, you should think three or four times before reading Yakuza Reincarnation.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

golden bubble posted:

That's mostly because D&D spell list rapidly ran out of control while the designers were still worried about realism for the physical classes. In an actual D&D isekai, the only cheat a protagonist would need is a good understanding of the poorly designed D&D rules and how easily they can be exploited. It would read a lot like that isekai about being transported into a Bethesda RPG where the MC gets 1000 strength from punching a measuring rod in the confessional and other speedrun-like tricks.

There is a literal isekai like this, he's a d&d wizard and has like 1hp,but since he has full spells from his d&d wizard he's broke as gently caress.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I will never forgive Tokyopop for cancelling the Slayers light novels. I'm so glad J-Novel Club picked them up AND is releasing collector's edition omnibuses.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nalin posted:

If you want legal epubs, just browse J-Novel Club. They sell stuff on Amazon.

They're way out in front of everybody else, but I did find out not long ago that fantastic series Holy Grail of Eris is being released in english by Yen Press.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SubNat posted:

New Yakuza Reincarnation dropped.

CHUUUUCK! THAAAAT! POOOOOOPE!

It's never a bad time to yeet a catgirl.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SubNat posted:

On the topic of finding lost Manga, there was another one I remember that I lost track of during the Fall of Mangadex.

Some soldier died in a monster/demon war, rubberbanded back to when he was born and started training/gearing up early to save his hometown (as that was one of the first targets hit when enemies suddenly started massing. )
I can't remember much specific about it, other than him protecting the town by setting up a giant circular wall ahead of time under the town that he just popped up out of the ground when the attack hit.

It's very similar to
Hiraheishi wa Kako wo Yumemiru / The Soldier Sees a Dream About the Past

In that they both feature a solider rubberbanding back in time, and immediately prepping for the future war and (I think?) training other kids + townpeople with magic and tech that would later be developed during the war.

I actually thought it was that, until the plot went in an entirely different direction. Took me a while to realize it was a different series.

Does it ring any bells for anyone?

https://mangasee123.com/manga/Shi-ni-Modori-Subete-wo-Sukuu-Tame-ni-Saikyou-He-to-Itaru

I don't recall that it ever returned to mangadex

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

My favorite part of instant death is the part where an extraplanar predatory anglerfish wants to eat the entire plane of existence that the MC is on and instantly dies, even though it lacks the concept of both time and death, because his power even works when he is completely unaware that someone or thing is trying to kill him. The whole thing is played as a passing gag for like one issue and it's great.

The extraplanar predatory angler fish is probably a jab at shield hero, that's more or less what the final boss was.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

Look candy often comes in papers and if you eat a lot of candy you are going to have a lot of papers, JUST LIKE A STATIONARY STORE :eng101:

I just assume that a stationery store near a school is going to sell sweets and such in addition to school supplies and adjacent.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I don't know much about Korean stationary stores but if they're by a school it would make sense to sell cold drinks and ice cream and candies as well as pencils and paper and other stationary.

I did some quick google work and Korean stationery stores basically sell all that super cute kit that weebs and children go crazy for, even if it's not really stationery. There's one that specializes in cell phone accessories, apparently. Still a stationery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

If I Don't Die Soon, I'll Really Become Invincible has one joke, but it gets pretty good mileage out of it. A man is isekai'd into standard imperial china cultivation world 34B, and is told that if he dies he will immediately become an unstoppable supergod(suicide doesn't count). He's also not an rear end in a top hat, so he sets out to make a heroic last stand and die doing what's right. Except his ardent efforts to piss off psychos and fearlessness in the face of death are mistaken for incredible virtue by everyone including reality itself, so badasses rally to defend him with an emotional speech about how virtue can still exist in this world or the light of heaven shines down upon him to defend him from foes while he's like "please stop". As his powerful friends and defenses increase he has to piss off increasingly powerful evil people to stand a chance of dying, which is of course seen as a relentless pursuit of justice.

There's also a lil bit of imposter syndrome where he feels bad being idolized for his courage, but it's mostly a man making the world a better place by trying to get assholes to kill him. It's not super deep or anything but it's dumb fun.

At no point did I ever think someone would do Brewster's Millions but for cultivation and yet here we are.