Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

This was pretty fun. I read all the novel translation that is out on novel updates and it looks like a fun series, but the translation pace is going to be so slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

https://mangadex.org/title/45491/reiko-s-style-despite-being-mistaken-for-a-rich-villainess-she-s-actually-just-penniless

Where the MC is the villainess in an otome game. Except she isn't and it's not an otome game but someone else thinks it is

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

if you decide to read Jin consider reading it via the author's patreon (https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami) and drop him a few bucks for it instead of reading the scans.

Do you know if it's completely translated? Without subscribing, it seems like the last post was over a year ago and is titled, "Afterwords"

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

LorneReams posted:

I started watching the anime about the guy with two personalities/memories (Seirei Gensouki). I'm really enjoying it and I was wondering if it stays good, or gets tedious like a lot of these.

Well the series does have slavery in it if that's a turn off for you. I don't remember the mc approving or partaking other than freeing a slave assassin who then follows him because she's actually a girl from earth who had a crush on him who was also on the same bus. . Also somehow his siblings and his crush get isekaid and immediately captured by slavers. and promptly freed by mc

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I just want a decent "useless skill" isekai where like, the skill is actually useless for adventuring. Maybe have him go off and be a farmer or some poo poo instead.

Bad news about most of the farming isekais.

Well sengoku komachi has been nice so far, but it quickly becomes not much about farming.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

This could almost be funny if the MC in it absolutely did not want that to happen.

I mean this kind of happens a garbage series known as "worlds end harem" which is about as good as the title sounds.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, to some extent, Myne has to do that as well. Like she doesn't know all the details of every part of a printing press as well as how to make it, she has the broad picture and some details and has her crew to make it into a reality--remember the actual design they're using was made by a not isekaid person. Hell, even with getting to usable paper was a journey, but you can't just do that for every little thing because it will get very repetitive. Kinda like how we don't really get many details on her reading sessions anymore.

doomrider7 posted:

This is kind of why I tend to take in stride. I mean, being honest if you introduced the usual Japanese cuisine that they usually do in isekai to medieval(hell, even further down to like colonial or even close to industrial) time periods, the reactions wouldn't be that far off in terms of wondering what this strange food was(whether it's liked or not would vary).

Hell, Max Miller did an episode on Pizza and the earliest recipe of it is NOTHING like what we understand today and the closest analogue was from the 1800's.

I mean whenever people say but X thing is obvious...well it's obvious because you already know about it. Someone had to come up things first, and to them, it may not have been obvious. Whether or not it makes sense in setting, who cares as long as there's at least some plausible justification. The japanese food stuff doesn't really bother me anymore because it's just a thing that will happen in these series, just like how chinese medicine is the solution everything in chinese comics.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

When will there be an isekai where the protagonist introduces the world to clostridium botulinum, an invasive species from another world

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

though the Aub and Ferdinand would been mortified had they known how blunt she was with him

fortunately you don't have to leave this to your imagination because they let her know in the next Volume

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

nrook posted:

It’s striking that fifteen books in, Lutz remains the only close friend Myne has. It makes sense, I suppose: she has a hard time seeing kids her age as peers for obvious reasons, and while she has friendly relationships with some adult nobles, they’re mediated by the age difference as well. But it’s really no wonder she is having such a tough time of it; at the end of the day, she has no one to confide in.

This isn't spoilers for anything past what I'm replying to as far as I'm aware.

Is this really surprising though? She isn't allowed to make that kind of friend anymore. The closest she has to a Lutz replacement is Ferdinand, and the next closest, which isn't even that close, is Damuel since both knew her as a commoner and tolerate her not-so-noble behavior when in private. No other noble who knows who she is was close enough to receive her blessing at the end of part 2, and she can't truly confide in anyone who didn't know her as Myne for now. You can see this in how she describes people vs furniture in P4V3. Sure she has taken a liking to some of the girl characters like charlotte, hannelore, and eglantine, but she can't truly open up to them for the above reasons in addition to basically everything she does being interpreted as a inter or intra-duchy political move.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It does look like the author is maybe laying the foundation for Rosemyne to become Aub in the future. They started giving her reasons to want the power with her disgust in how the laynobles treat their kids and her desire to save them, and also how her fake family's grandfather has started to work behind the scenes to make her Aub. I doubt the marriage to Wilfried will actually go through as he's shown himself to be, at best, a middling archduke candidate and probably one ill suited to handle the huge changes coming as Rosemyne's inventions continue to propagate throughout the kingdom. He has also made essentially no connections to other duchies in his time in the royal academy while Rosemyne continues to build them left and right.

Don't click this unless you want second-hand wn spoilers. You have been warned

They 100% do not get married. She doesn't even end up staying in Ehrenfest, and Wilfried is 100% not going to succeed Sylvester in part because of this. This isn't to say she doesn't end up ruling somewhere. I mean this is basically a well written and thought out power fantasy, just not in the typical DBZ/murderhobo style--do you think she would end up settling in a middling place like Ehrenfest? Don't forget she has a pesky magic contract she probably wants to get rid of that probably only applies in ehrenfest...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

nrook posted:

I’m not the aub of this thread so feel free to ignore me, but I’d really prefer if we didn’t discuss anything after the current English translation (including the previews, I suppose), just because it’s extremely easy to have something get marked ambiguously or accidentally left out in the open otherwise. It’s the same reason most anime threads don’t allow discussion of stuff that hasn’t happened in the anime yet, even tagged.

There are MTLs of the web novel out there and have been for a while, and a lot of things that are discussed here are already not official translations :colbert:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Has or is anyone reading Cooking with wild game / isekai ryouridou? It's on catch-up on j-novel, and I remember it being fun when I was bothering to browse novelupdates and had the patience for MTLs. It's like 14 volumes though, with the current manga scanlations at around volume 7, so I'd like to maybe not spend that much time if it takes a hard turn into the gutter. The novelupdates page doesn't have any of the typical red flag tags, so it seems like it will probably be fine?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Nalin posted:

It is a really good series and there isn't anything problematic with it. I also followed the series all the way to volume 14 so I've been waiting ages for JNC to catch up.

Awesome, guess I know what I'm doing this month

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Finally got around to reading all of Jin. It's very good and worth the however months of $5 you feel like giving the author. Okay, well it did have a really dumb antagonist, but whatever. It's overall very well done and researched, which is a nice change of pace from the ocean of current isekai-ish series

https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami/posts

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sengoku komachi is a good series

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries) was a really good one but it's not an isekai at all.

This is also the "wholesome" thread, which I'm not sure this qualifies for even before the latest translated part where either the translator or author, my bet is translator, put in a big warning text block about a scene depicting sexual assault. This is not to say it wasn't good before that or that it won't be afterwards.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I mean...the MC was literally sold into slavery at the beginning of the series, and nobody really cared until it became unavoidably inconvenient. The setting is 100% problematic, but it's basically set in a chinese imperial harem, and history itself is problematic at best. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad series, and bad things are allowed to happen in fiction.

But I mean as already mentioned it's also not isekai. If people want non-isekai medical series, there's a few other good ones, for varying definitions of good. Iryuu for one was a good series if you want to read about office politics that's not a comedy like medical return

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jomo posted:

Actually that's a good point: are there any manga with accurate drug use?

Read Jin. It's fully translated on the authors patreon and worth every penny since you can technically sub for a month and binge the whole thing so you're paying between like $5 and $infinity. It's by far the best medical manga series I've read if you're looking for accurate portrayal of modern medicine. There isn't really a huge focus on drugs since it's set largely in the Edo era, and the MC obviously is far better at doing everything he should be. However, most of it is, from what I understand, sound medical practice. I guess one thing is it perhaps pays too much respect to traditional eastern medicine, but that's a different matter

https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami

Isekai Yakkyoku (Parallel world pharmacy) as mentioned uses appropriate drugs for different ailments, but they're kinda bs magicked out of nowhere. Most likely the author just googled medicines to treat whatever disease and has the MC create them out of thin air. Or later, just skip that step and use magic cure everyone. In theory, they will eventually find an actual way to create basic medicines in-world.

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 28, 2022

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ianmacdo posted:

I think they were looking for accurate recreational drug use. Not just drugs in general.

Not sure this exists then. It's not like east Asia is particularly hospitable to recreational drug use other than alcohol, tobacco, and some weird cases like betel nuts. I certainly can't think of any

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

It's one of the things I've longed to see in isekai, the other being "OP mage reincarnates x000 later and infodumps his ancient precious lost knowledge into a book, realizes he's made a blank check for All Of The Money and acts accordingly instead of hiding it and going to a magic school where teenagers want his relatively ancient dick", which I have not seen.

I feel like this has to exist somewhere, if not in japanese media, then in KR/CN comics since a shitload of CN comics feature the MC doing something to get incredibly rich, usually involving murder.

Alternatively, Ascendance of a Bookworm is kinda like that in some ways but not exactly as described.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Notably in those games everything is more or less a commodity while LNs typically feature rare and unique drops. Like imagine farming a raid for a 1 percent drop only to be backstabbed by a rogue immediately after acquiring it. Nobody would play that in 2023.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Also there's a spinoff for dahlia following the tailor girl that just started prepubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think it's as clear cut as he wins 4 and then loses 6 but otherwise yeah, that makes sense

What series is your av from? I think I recognize it, but for some reason can't think of the name